Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
I like how the article states none of the teams are committed to racing next season and this could be a tricky thing to navigate while trying to keep them on board.

Only teams going anywhere are Haas and potentially Williams if they can't do better.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Is there even one spot to overtake? It looks so fast and relentless from beginning to end? Narrow too. At least it's cool and an actual race track and not some cesspit like Paul Ricard.

No.

No heavy braking zones, lots of high-speed corners. I would predict zero on-track overtakes, a complete procession.

Qualifying should be amazing though.

Last edited:

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
No.

No heavy braking zones, lots of high-speed corners. I would predict 0 on-track overtakes, a complete procession.

Qualifying should be amazing though.
Yeah there's like two places where the pace slows down, but not enough for any sort of manoeuvres. I can see maybe Ricciardo sending it up the inside of someone and that being the one overtake of the race, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I know it is unrelated to any discussion going on right now but I just wanted to pop in and say that I watched Senna the other night and was completely engrossed. I couldn't stop thinking about F1 and then rewatched it last night.

Great documentary. I'm not sure I have the full interest to "get into" the sport but I definitely have a new appreciation for it and have enjoyed reading about it the past couple days. Never watched full race but I think will remedy that this year at some point.

Stitch AU

Oct 29, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I know it is unrelated to any discussion going on right now but I just wanted to pop in and say that I watched Senna the other night and was completely engrossed. I couldn't stop thinking about F1 and then rewatched it last night.

Great documentary. I'm not sure I have the full interest to "get into" the sport but I definitely have a new appreciation for it and have enjoyed reading about it the past couple days. Never watched full race but I think will remedy that this year at some point.

While I have watched Senna a few times and I highly recommend watching the extended version of you can source it, it is a very narrow and one sided version of events. But it is amazing how fierce the rivalry was between Prost and Senna.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
While I have watched Senna a few times and I highly recommend watching the extended version of you can source it, it is a very narrow and one sided version of events. But it is amazing how fierce the rivalry was between Prost and Senna.

Yeah, I definitely got that vibe. I read loosely that Alain was upset with his portrayal because apparently they actually became friends (or more friendly at least) towards the end. I'll definitely look into the extended version; I highly doubt the one on Amazon Prime is that. Is there another show or anything you'd recommend for additional context?

I am totally fascinated by Senna's career.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
zudZX.png

What could have been...

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

Give this a listen:

Berto

Oct 25, 2017

I'm an Ayrton fan from when I was a kid, but have in mind the documentary is terribly biased and unfair in the way it vilifies Prost and brushes of Senna's faults. But it's very entertaining and emotional.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I was reading about the what possible things Ferrari did and one was that Ferrari were running the main cables from the ERS/MGU close to the FIA fuel sensor, so at full throttle, when the electric motor was used(full electric deployment), it created a magnetic field that interfered with the fuel flow sensor in a predictable way. So, again speculation, Ferrari could use about 5% extra fuel without it registering, only on full throttle when needed - so free performance at the cost of some extra weight of fuel.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe I keep reading people equating DAS to what Ferrari have done. Ridiculous.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Simple summary.

Mercedes were working with the FIA with DAS.

Ferrari were obfrusciating the FIA with their engine.

It's not even that so much. One is leveraging a gap in the rules, the other is an explicit attempt to circumvent the measurement device used to enforce a rule.

King Picollo

Oct 28, 2017
It seems to me that Ferrari were doing something, the FIA said this could be illegal, Ferrari said nah it's ok test it, the FIA knows that Ferrari can just not do it throughout the tests fudging the data, so came up with a way to make sure they can't do it going forward and sacked it off.

I'm not sure we'll ever get anything more out it.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

Make an effort to watch Grand Prix the Killer years. Well worth it.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Oct 26, 2017
Make an effort to watch Grand Prix the Killer years. Well worth it.
I firmly believe that this documentary is essential viewing for anybody who is into, or intending to get into Formula 1.
I think it's incredibly important to know how far the sport has come in terms of it's attitude to safety and just how unnecessary so many of the deaths were.

1 gift from Aiii

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Aiii Aiii!

This is a two-day raffle that will expire in 48 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Aiii said:
To celebrate (hopefully) the start of a new season, here's a Steam Key for F1 2019.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: F1 2019 - Won by ODD ODD (12 entries)

Oct 27, 2017
If the intention of Drive to Survive was to get folks into F1, then it's worked on me.

Used to follow it loosely years ago, but going to take this season seriously. Loved the show and the team/driver dynamics.

sixclix

Nov 10, 2017
Noticed I haven't reacted after my viewing of Drive to Survive. I thought it was pretty descent. I don't mind that it's made for beginners. The middle episodes about the Gasly-Albon switch were the best put together episodes by far. I also liked the Mercedes one, where everything just went to sh*t during the German GP.

All in all it's a great way to get into F1.

Stitch AU

Oct 29, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I firmly believe that this documentary is essential viewing for anybody who is into, or intending to get into Formula 1.
I think it's incredibly important to know how far the sport has come in terms of it's attitude to safety and just how unnecessary so many of the deaths were.

100% this. After watching the killer years it always bugged me from the Senna movie when Sir Jackie Stewart was interviewing Senna, mentioning that he has run into quite a few of his competitors and pointing out Senna had done it more than most and Senna's replied with 'If you don't go for a gap your not a racing driver'. It was not really that long ago before that interview that car to car contact could lead to death and if you went for a gap and hit another competitor there clearly wasn't a gap. It annoyed me even more when current F1 stars started saying the same quote after the movie came out.

There is another F1 documentary that is very good and should be available on Blu-ray called 1.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Biggest takeaway from DtS this year is how much power Toto Wolff has within the paddock. The Albon-Gasly episode is clearly the best one too, almost head and shoulders above the rest I'd say.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it might be starting in a week. Something could always happen. Though it seems pretty likely to go ahead right now.

Jul 19, 2018
Now F1 season ticket is available, pretty expensive still (more worthwhile if you're interested in other sports obviously). I'll probably end up buying one, but I have serious questions about how many races will actually take place. The first race (minimum) is live on Sky One again

Watch F1 Online - Live Stream to any Device

Join in on the Formula 1 action with a Sports Membership and catch this season's Grand Prix races. Stream Sky Sports live events on demand on NOW.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was going to ask actually. For UK folks, what's the best way to watch the races?

I'm old enough to remember them just being on the telly - C4 I think? - but I assume those days are long gone. I also don't have Sky.

Jul 19, 2018
C4 have quali highlights and race highlights, and show the British GP live. Other than that it's sky, now tv or dodgy streams

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Same. As soon as I notice anyone maybe a bit green mention watching something related to f1 this is the thing I always recommend first.

I also usually suggest Madness On Wheels - Rallyings Craziest Years. Utterly bonkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.