• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
What, Renault? Really? Dude, not your smartest move. Not by a long shot.

Maybe he's pulling off a Lewis, like when he moved from McLaren to Merc, but I doubt it :/

Oct 26, 2017

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
RIC is an idiot. Renault can't even compete for the podium.
It's a gamble. Red Bull might be in a worse position with Honda, and to put things into perspective, let's look at 2012 when Lewis left for Mercedes.
Back then, Mercedes' best finishing position in the races preceding his switch was 5th, and they earned a grand total of 6 points for the remaining 6 races.

Or remember when Vettel left Red Bull for Ferrari. Red Bull had multiple race wins in 2014, while Ferrari only had 2 podiums despite Alonso.

Both ended up being great career moves. Here's to hoping he won't suffer "an Alonso".

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
It's a gamble. Red Bull might be in a worse position with Honda, and to put things into perspective, let's look at 2012 when Lewis left for Mercedes.
Back then, Mercedes' best finishing position in the races preceding his switch was 5th, and they earned a grand total of 6 points for the remaining 6 races.

Or remember when Vettel left Red Bull for Ferrari. Red Bull had multiple race wins in 2014, while Ferrari only had 2 podiums despite Alonso.

Both ended up being great career moves. Here's to hoping he won't suffer "an Alonso".
Next regulation change is in 2021 and they will keep a similar engine. Renault has a lower budget than the top teams. This won't be a Mercedes situation.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck? Was great knowing you Ric. At least knowing you winning races and getting on podiums frequently. That Ricciardo may not come back.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
I'm the same. Honestly think he would've been better off sticking with RBR for another year.

Is there a chance this is a placeholder/temporary move for a session or so until somewhere more lucrative opens up, like Ferrari?

There are probably convoluted out clauses in the contract but I doubt Renault would sign him just to be a stop over.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm the same. Honestly think he would've been better off sticking with RBR for another year.

Is there a chance this is a placeholder/temporary move for a session or so until somewhere more lucrative opens up, like Ferrari?

He is too old for a Ferrari cockpit. Also there is someone there that doesn't like him. Plus they have the current #2 and #3 in the driver's championship, Ferrari won't switch drivers.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, is this official? As far as I know, all we know at the moment is that he is leaving RBR.

I can't see him joining Renault for competitive reason; unless they offered him a big bag of money and guaruanteed #1 driver for multiple years.
I actually hope he takes Kimi's seat at Ferrari.

It's not official but I don't see anyone disputing it.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, is this official? As far as I know, all we know at the moment is that he is leaving RBR.

I can't see him joining Renault for competitive reason; unless they offered him a big bag of money and guaruanteed #1 driver for multiple years.
I actually hope he takes Kimi's seat at Ferrari.

Chances are Red Bull wanted to cut his salary/not raise it which left him without options. I don't think he will earn much more at Renault nor will he be #1 driver with a Hulk who has basically built that team from the start. You don't become #1 driver in best of the rest teams, they need all the points.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WAT

That's like an Alonso move right there. :/

Alonso made that move because he got a shit ton of money for it and nobody else wanted him anymore for all his bitching and snitching (Ferrari and Mercedes). Ricciardo makes this move because he has no options left. How you go from a pre-contract with Ferrari to a save place at RB to a seat in a Renault is unbelievable. Not the best management.

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
Wowsers, genuinely shocked. Just when you think you know someone...

So perhaps Dan's bought into the paddock hype that suggests Renault is well positioned for 2021? Bold move, that.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone without a confirmed contract is now gonna wait and/or make calls. Silly season all summer break. Everyday we're shuffling.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Lol at reactions, it's not like he was going anywhere at this RB with Max on his side. Too bad neither Merc nor Ferrari gave him the chance.

At least Alonso now has two options and one of them is having the chance to embarrass Honda live with millions of people watching.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
38301047_1970805146311094_8594704410880245760_n.jpg

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Red Bull had made it obvious Max was their number one driver and you only win with works teams these days so moving to Renault is a bold but understandable move. All of the top team drivers contracts expire in 2 years time as well so unless he burns bridges Alonso style he'll have plenty of options when the regulations change.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at reactions, it's not like he was going anywhere at this RB with Max on his side. Too bad neither Merc nor Ferrari gave him the chance.

At least Alonso now has two options and one of them is having the chance to embarrass Honda live with millions of people watching.

Damn. Alonso with Mad Max. I would pay for that to happen. We would have 2007 Mclaren drama in our hands lol.