• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Mike Watson (Super Arcade runner) has been hinting a significant member of the FGC had been hiding in plain sight regarding recent accusations of rape, harassment, etc, but chose to allow these victims to come out of their own accord. Mikey is one of those victims.

Viscant laughed and I remember the exact words he said. "You got $20 to give Wizard a night of jerk off material". I was like "Huh?" Viscant goes "You didn't know? Joey's gay."

Viscant ain't shit.

Geeez...yeah FGC has a LOT of cleaning to do. Glad it's out there now at least.
You say that like everything is out there. It's far more likely that we're just getting started.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
I just started knowing about Nairo from his recent smash Min Min stream. Guess I won't be missing much. That's crazy.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'd like to have seen the last of Viscant.

Imagine allowing someone you can clearly recognize as a pedophile operate under your purview. Cut him the fuck off along with anyone else in that crew who sat idly by with full knowledge of what this guy was doing to these boys.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this so prevalent? Wtf is happening.
Decades of not holding abusers accountable are, slowly but surely, coming to an end. Social media has allowed victims to stand strong and speak up with other victims who experience the same story of abuse.

Last edited:

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Decades of not holding abusers accountable are, slowly but surely, coming to an end. Social media has allowed victims to stand strong with other victims who experience the same story of abuse.

Is there a place like that on Era?

I've deleted my previous posts in this thread. Reading CrackProns story literally broke something in my head I've had bottled up forever and I dont know what to do or how to deal with it..

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Almost like they KNEW it was coming out.
My take on this is, like 9 to 10h before Mikey made his statement, Watt said on Twitter that one of the victim would come forward within the next 48h. I assume the EVO twitter saw that and knew EXACTLY what it was and then once it came out, the statement was immediatly released.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Horrifying. I wonder how many other people suffered the same.

FGC deserves better than this. I am hopeful that the people passionate in that community would form something new and better.

For a lot of people Combo Breaker has surpassed EVO as the tournament to go to anyway. EVO was just the bigger name.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Ah. That makes sense, out of respect for the victim.
Well, more like it feel like they knew that it would be Mr Wiz. Sorta like "ah shit, it's that time now, prepare the statement". I don't wanna disregard how fast EVO has taken action but man i'm still surprised they responded so fast.

Again, like you said, it feel like they knew that it was gonna be Wiz, even before Mikey's allegations came out.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, that's freaking disgusting.
I hope the FGC take out all the trash, because if it's so rooted in people of power, that probably means there's a whole lot more. Honestly, not sure how could EVO survive this.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kick him out. Maybe then EVO can be run by someone more competent who also isn't a bad person.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
There's now multiple other victims coming out that have suffered sexual abuse from other FGC members when they were underage. They can try to but this shit is just going to get bigger.

That's not an existential threat for Evo in particular or the FGC. I think so many members of the community speaking out is a healthy thing. We need to get rid of the predators and the predatory culture.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a place like that on Era?

I've deleted my previous posts in this thread. Reading CrackProns story literally broke something in my head I've had bottled up forever and I dont know what to do or how to deal with it..
Not sure if it's the right place, but there's a mental health OT and discord.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here is a Reddit Megathread from r/SmashBros about all the allegations and reactions to it
www.reddit.com

r/smashbros - Summary of sexual and non-sexual allegations Megathread

14,730 votes and 5,083 comments so far on Reddit

This is really hurting me, since I'm a big Smash fan and am invested in all the persons competing.
And EVO... well fuck em. EVO was only the biggest but far from the best tournament. There is CEO, Combo Breaker etc that are way better and I hope, that Rick and Jebaily aren't shitheads too, cause that would be devastating. And since Joey seems to own EVO, well I would say it's done

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I've been in the FGC for over a decade now and it is imploding around us. Fuck Mr Wizard, burn it all down and start again.

Yamanote Line

alt account
Banned
May 10, 2020
This is really shitty from Mr Wiz and I hope all the law comes to weight in, you don't do that to children goddammit.

Probably EVO is going to die with him too tbh.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
So much of the FGC old guard are turning out to be scumbags, it's really throwing me for a loop.
Like I said in another thread, since the Ricki Ortiz nazi hat incident, and many public casual asian racist jokes from prominent tournament players from the SFIV days, I knew this was a cesspool of assholes for a very long time, protected by the higher ups.

No wonder Aris could say what he said in such a bold way, publicly, and why many of those people didn't want the Esport exposure and were nostalgic of the good ol days.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised by this (based on how bad people get away with things at Evo and the like). The victim says he isn't traumatized.. but alot of victims say this, he doesn't know the extent it's affected his psyche.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Here is a Reddit Megathread from r/SmashBros about all the allegations and reactions to it
www.reddit.com

r/smashbros - Summary of sexual and non-sexual allegations Megathread

14,730 votes and 5,083 comments so far on Reddit

This is really hurting me, since I'm a big Smash fan and am invested in all the persons competing.
And EVO... well fuck em. EVO was only the biggest but far from the best tournament. There is CEO, Combo Breaker etc that are way better and I hope, that Rick and Jebaily aren't shitheads too, cause that would be devastating. And since Joey seems to own EVO, well I would say it's done
Idk if Combo Breaker or CEO or any other big tournaments can carry that same mainstream recognition that EVO had. Non-FGC people only know EVO.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk if Combo Breaker or CEO or any other big tournaments can carry that same mainstream recognition that EVO had. Non-FGC people only know EVO.
People will move on. Apex was a big thing in the Smash community and that is gone now also, since they a) couldn't organize properly and b) Lupo had several sexual harassment allegations. Since then the community got Smash Con, Shine, Smash'n Splash, Genesis, Get on my Level etc.
Sure EVO is a name, but if the community wants to move on and Capcom, Namco and Co. will support it, this will grow aswell.
And they all have to get rid of these scumbags, implement mechanics to prevent shit like this and somehow move on

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
And there it is. Watson finally let it out. Even as a dumb kid playing at SHGL Wiz always seemed like a real piece of shit among other pieces of shit. Good on Mikey for getting this shit off his chest.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That's not an existential threat for Evo in particular or the FGC. I think so many members of the community speaking out is a healthy thing. We need to get rid of the predators and the predatory culture.

This is just the start, after that we need to make sure this doesn't happen again, and this involves heavy changes in how these FGC events (and E-sports in general) operates.

Namtab

Oct 27, 2017
Evo is a too big to go away like that. Someone else is very likely to take over.