Nyako Lolipop

alt account
Banned
May 11, 2020
Glad to see this is no longer seen as just a Smash issue but one that takes place in the FGC as well. It's time these gaming communities dismantle and rebuild into something better.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
I'm worried this may just be the tip of the pedo iceberg, if certain FGC insiders are telling it true...

I'm, or was, completely oblivious to the activities of prominent FGC figures. For example, this thread surprised the shit outta me because I never expected this. Now, I don't know what to think...

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
EVO staff is somewhat lucky that this whole situation didn't happen during a normal evo year(offline event), they would've taken a much bigger hit.

Anyway, more than simply canceling the event, i hope the FGC as a whole manages to reform itself going foward.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
EVO staff is somewhat lucky that this whole situation didn't happen during a normal evo year(offline event), they would've taken a much bigger hit.

Anyway, more than simply canceling the event, i hope the FGC as a whole manages to reform itself going foward.
I don't think as many players would have bailed on the event so quickly had they been financially committed to travel.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I feel like a lot of what's happening is because this year has gone like it has, with no offline majors and thus a reduced influence of the figureheads of the FGC.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
This should be a reminder that the studio themselves have been accused of abusive behavior: https://variety.com/2019/gaming/features/netherrealm-studio-warner-bros-games-toxic-1203204728/
Absolutely, this good move by no means negates past behaviour/poor working conditions. It was disappointing to hear NRS accused of crunch, employees' mental health deteriorating to keep up with ever-increasing realism in violence in their games, and hiring Ronda Rousey to play Sonya, as well as a general toxic culture, when they often seem like a company that is moving their franchises in progressive directions. My hope is that the company is taking steps to address all of this (I would like to think that their slower DLC pace suggests they are working on crunch culture and that multple important people in the company and community continue to be given platforms to help counter to Rousey's shitty beliefs), but you're 100% right. It's the right time to point out what they've done wrong too.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Evo won't come back for this, MrWizard or not.

EVO was only a name. Players weren't treated very well, etc... CEO and Combo Breaker stepped their game up and offer a better time tailored for the players... I don't see EVO coming back.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I feel like a lot of what's happening is because this year has gone like it has, with no offline majors and thus a reduced influence of the figureheads of the FGC.
The state of the world is definitely a factor i agree, but, i sooner or later this whole thing would end up being exposed(even if it took more time), and if this blew up in a normal year, it would have been even more critical since there would be much more money invested, from all parts(EVO, publishers and public).

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of external conditions, MeToo happened due to the quanity of accusiations against the powerful since a few don't work. The FGC's been building and holding up victims and now the dam has burst.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of external conditions, MeToo happened due to the quanity of accusiations against the powerful since a few don't work. The FGC's been building and holding up victims and now the dam has burst.
Yes, but the issue is that while there had been accusations all along, the highlight has never been as clear as in 2020. There were complaints about people being freakin' roofied at Evo 2019. People like Aris have been called out in the past. It's been happening, but nothing's been done about it. The next major would come, people would travel, and it'd all be shoved under the rug or shoved off. This is the one year where nothing's happening, so there is no place for those complaints to be dissimulated. Even Mr. Wizard was called out before now.

Things might have eventually come out in a regular year, but it wouldn't have been as explosive and as effective as it is now.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
He's Sorry he got caught.

and I really hate the "never meant to hurt anyone". Makes my skin Crawl hearing that Excuse

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland

tumblr_pf7mh7OVd21r1uq0jo1_1280.png

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If he was sorry he would have owned up to it the first time this story came up.

Now that there are consequences his tone has changed.
If it was a few isolated incidents decades ago, maybe with time people could forgive him. But it seems like it's stuff that's kept happening and it was constant disgusting abuse.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
ok cool have fun in jail

I hopeto god he doesn't think an apology would be enough

and dumbass actually uses the the work twitter

RIP EVO

I know, right?! He's using the brand name on his twitter account to apologize for... making kids strip down for fucking arcade tokens?! He just blighted the brand even further.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
This is some heinous, heinous shit.

And yes, this shit is everywhere. Rape culture is real. All of this shit needs to come to light in our culture, or else this will keep happening over and over and over.

tecl0n

Oct 25, 2017
...Does he not understand that this is not "was an asshole" but an actual categorized crime?

In other threads here around abuse, people said "a lawyer clearly wrote the apology" as evidence that the apology is not sincere.

...this is why lawyers write apologies.

Exactly this, it's un fucking believable.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. He might have killed off Evo forever with that apology. He did it using the tournament's logo so now it looks like all of Evo is apologizing for sexually harassing people.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. He might have killed off Evo forever with that apology. He did it using the tournament's logo so now it looks like all of Evo is apologizing for sexually harassing people.

I mean thats on people if they confuse his own twitter with the actual Evo twitter

For Evo having Mr Wiz admit that shit so quickly is probably the best case scenario. No weird drawn out investigation making people wonder what the hell will happen. Its now a straight forward situation where they should get to removing him from Evo immediately