Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This was announced at E3 and I don't think I've seen a thread for it, reaching the highest number of subscribers this far into the game's lifecycle is impressive and there is still ShB coming which will give it a boost.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Damn, amazing how far FFXIV came and how far WoW fell.

I remember knowing someone who I used to play with online games (in a guild) said that WoW would never not be #1 MMO in player population and that FFXIV would never make it over 10 mil

Man how times have changed lol.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Me and a handful of friends have started getting into it in the last few weeks. Really enjoying the game so far!

I'm having a lot more fun than I ever did with WoW.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Love this game but I have some dungeon anxiety, I'd like to return to it just for the story but the trust system is Shadowbringer only (I'm at the end of Heavensward), I'll wait until they give more tools for people who just want to enjoy the story.
Also my lifestyle don't work with sitting in a dungeon for 40+ mins straight everytime I want to go to the next story bit

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
It's crazy to me that the game can achieve this after 6 years, though it's certainly well earned. I do hope that they go back and fix the ARR hump some day though, since I feel like that probably puts off a lot of new players.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I've resubbed recently and there's a goddamn queue to login on my server which was low pop back in ARR 2.0 when I played (adamantoise)

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I adore this game. Just had a kid, though, so I'm on a break since that's not conductive to an MMO experience.

But I'm eager to return to Eorzea.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to me that the game can achieve this after 6 years, though it's certainly well earned. I do hope that they go back and fix the ARR hump some day though, since I feel like that probably puts off a lot of new players.

They plan to during the Shadowbringers patch cycle. At least doing something with the endless amount of patch quests.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved for the best MMO on the market. One of my favorite games of all time for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Love this game but I have some dungeon anxiety, I'd like to return to it just for the story but the trust system is Shadowbringer only (I'm at the end of Heavensward), I'll wait until they give more tools for people who just want to enjoy the story.
Also my lifestyle don't work with sitting in a dungeon for 40+ mins straight everytime I want to go to the next story bit

join an FC. ERA's or Giant Bomb's (VinCo) are pretty chill and full of people to solve this exact problem

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
There is a 7 day free campaign going on right now. This allowed me to catch up on 4.4 and 4.5. Ready to rock for Shadowbringers.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Well deserved. Anecdotally I've seen a growing lack of confidence in the future of retail WoW since BfA and a lot of players planning to move permanently towards either FFXIV or WoW Classic

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That Twitch Prime promo + free Heavensward certainly worked out for them.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what becomes of MMOs after games like WoW, EVE, and FFXIV lose more and more of their population and there isn't a new MMO to flock to.

In terms of new games, the genre is nearly dead outside of the occasional South Korean MMO that is probably too grindy to gain popularity in the West.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
The new influx is mostly wow refugees from bfa-trash fire expansion. I'm so hyped for shadowbringers, only 12 more painful days.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
I'm curious what becomes of MMOs after games like WoW, EVE, and FFXIV lose more and more of their population and there isn't a new MMO to flock to.

In terms of new games, the genre is nearly dead outside of the occasional South Korean MMO that is probably too grindy to gain popularity in the West.
FFXIV is not only not losing but actually increasing active subs, in a end of expansion content lull no less.
Bfa is hemorrhaging cause it is awful and the few redeeming qualities don't matter when the latest patch is 187 days ago and 8.2 is still not live lol.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV is not only not losing but actually increasing active subs, in a end of expansion content lull no less.
Bfa is hemorrhaging cause it is awful and the few redeeming qualities don't matter when the latest patch is 187 days ago and 8.2 is still not live lol.

What? I'm talking about in the future. Not right now.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Man, and I remember first playing this game at the ARR launch because life was not in a great place and I was worrying myself to death waiting for Bar Exam results and I needed something to just completely bury myself in, and this game was just at the right place at the right time.

And 6 years later I'm still playing it despite never having an interest in MMOs in general. That's the highest praise possible I can give this game and it deserves the achievement.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Game is amazing, I think I'm just about near the end of Heavensward. Trying to level up to 59 or 60 so I can do the next quest without grinding POTD. I need to look up optimal ways to level that aren't mind numbing.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I've come back in the past few months, desperately trying to catch up before Shadowbringers comes out.
I don't think I'll be done with the later post-Stormblood story chapters quite in time but it'll be close lol.

This is a well-deserved success story for sure but sadly those numbers don't mean much. What I'd be curious to know is the active userbase. But the fact that it is still growing is certainly encouraging.

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely one of the best most fun games I've ever played.... what a wonder when you think how disastrous the game started.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
One thing I thought was great about this game was when they introduced flying mounts they actually designed the zones and questing with verticality in mind. WoW retail could take a lesson from that instead of introducing flying mounts and then continuing to design strictly for ground mounts and disabling flying mounts for the majority of an expansion. I don't play FFXIV anymore but it's a great mmo.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I was really addicted when I played some years ago, but I stopped because the GAF clan was full of cliques with "hidden" linkshells only reserved for elites.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
Damn, amazing how far FFXIV came and how far WoW fell.

I remember knowing someone who I used to play with online games (in a guild) said that WoW would never not be #1 MMO in player population and that FFXIV would never make it over 10 mil

Man how times have changed lol.
Your friend's right. WoW is still and will continue to be #1 for a long time.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Latest patch was march 12th (less than 100 days ago) and 8.2 is in 2 weeks now that the RC has hit the ptr

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I have a level 30 archer but i never got back to it since i first played it on PS4 around 2014-15.

I was enjoying it but it was definately a time sink. My style of gaming is solo play so I dunno how that fared with the game as its Multuplayer. Is it worth jumping back in? I really don't know what I was doing in the story but to be honest i had a hard time following it anyway... but I dont want to start again.