7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Love the boss theme in Delubrum Reginae...
Jokes aside, XIV has something for everyone, I would have made my case for it's soundtrack with a very different list.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
every time one of these freaking threads pops up (aka several times a week) it really makes me wish I had gotten into the game more. I keep trying every now and then but ugh mmos take so much time. The music being posted here is definitely great, and I listen to Answers pretty regularly as it is

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can I ironically bring up Ruby Weapon Misheard lyrics?

AKA Big Fat Tacos/Eat Some Tacos

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like the bagpipes stuff in HW it was really grating. I've only just beaten thst so I hope the rest doesn't have anymore music like that.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
That magical moment when for the first time the voice kicks in at 3:05 on the Crystarium OST.. this expansion was GOTY material.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
for a moment I completely forgot the great oblivion remix for eden8, but I have to admit, despite not liking it at first I really like eden 12. The different movements and moment to moment elements of the song are great and really harkens to old final fantasy final boss music

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I know that a recent thread about this had a lot of people hating on it but fuck it I love this song so much. Especially when you know the lyrics and setting.

Another really excellent one is this. Often ignored cause of the other two themes sandwiched between it:

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from The Twinning, The Hero's Gauntlet has one of my other favorite dungeon themes of the expansion. The dungeon feels like an amazing thematic culmination of the entire expansion up to that point (love seeing all the NPCs helping out you, like the the frog boss from the Don Mheg dungeon) and the theme incorporating so many of the other theme's from throughout the game sells it even harder.

(Timestamped for part where he talks about this dungeon theme)

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I have yet to get to this part of FFXIV, and I'm sure when I get there I'll love the music (Titania's theme is great!), but...

I absolutely LOATHE that login music.

It's way too energetic and epic for an MMO login screen. If you wanna get me in the mood for action, do it when the fight's about to start. As it stands it's extremely dissonant when I hear it and then log on and do a bunch of crafting or something.

It's also LOUD. Much louder than the music that surrounds it. So, because I have people in my apartment with very thin walls, I have to remember to mute or turn down the music or else there'll be about ten seconds of incredibly loud music before I can get anything else to play.
I also dislike it quite a bit. It's sad that the 'movies and title' option isn't more permanent. Would just leave it on ARR's title screen.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I know that a recent thread about this had a lot of people hating on it but fuck it I love this song so much. Especially when you know the lyrics and setting.

Another really excellent one is this. Often ignored cause of the other two themes sandwiched between it:

Excellent use of the Doma theme. Soken is masterful with leitmotifs.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only piece of music in the game I straight up can't stand is the Shadowbringers battle theme, I had to turn that off pretty quickly. Hopefully the Endwalker one is better.

I have yet to get to this part of FFXIV, and I'm sure when I get there I'll love the music (Titania's theme is great!), but...

It's way too energetic and epic for an MMO login screen. If you wanna get me in the mood for action, do it when the fight's about to start. As it stands it's extremely dissonant when I hear it and then log on and do a bunch of crafting or something.

It's also LOUD. Much louder than the music that surrounds it. So, because I have people in my apartment with very thin walls, I have to remember to mute or turn down the music or else there'll be about ten seconds of incredibly loud music before I can get anything else to play.
I really wish I could revert it back to the Heavensward login screen.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

This theme is so good. Had to stay in the area for a while just to listen.

And there's this. Perfection. Masterpiece.

Oct 27, 2017

*turns on game*

HOOOOOOOOOOMMMEEEEEEEE

I hate it. Wish I could just permanently go back to the ARR title screen.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish I could revert it back to the Heavensward login screen.

We can, kind of. A while back they added all the old title screens in the movies menu, it goes back to the respective one after watching/skipping the movie.

However it returns to the current one after logging out.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Runescape has it now, iirc, it was a bit ago and the World Record was just mistaken due to not enough research.

That said, FF14 should still have an award for best music use in an MMORPG.
Thanks for clearing this up, I was extremely confused. Runescape probably had more than xiv will in its entire lifetime by 2010. Not talking about the quality, just pure amount by both number of songs and minutes total.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah one of the main things that has struck me with this game was the music, and when I hit HW the music went straight sicko mode. I'm a good chunk done with SB and it just keeps getting better as well

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
LA HEEEE goddamnit!

in the same year Shadowbringers dropped, it somehow did not get nominated for the Game Awards which upset me and my friends to no end. listen to this:

Night Theme to Crystarium:

i think i just really like the Shadowbringers city motif

Eulmore:

Last but not least the main theme!!
Re382eaf522c12f6ed400adebf58a71e6

The way they rolled Eternal Wind in there damn near brought me to tears of joy. I truly love this series.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Love the boss theme in Delubrum Reginae...
Jokes aside, XIV has something for everyone, I would have made my case for it's soundtrack with a very different list.
Wait, this was a joke? I really dig it lol. Bought the orch roll off MB because it wasn't dropping after like 10 runs.

It was only 5k gil...

Anyway, spoilering video because thumbnail:

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Ok this video as an example again of how important music is to this game:

If you just listen to the song removed from the gameplay, it's a pretty simple kinda pop electro song. Nothing super remarkable.
If you turn the music off and just look at the gameplay, it's the standard FF14 / MMO stuff of "don't stand in the evil markers and do some mechanics".
But put both of them TOGETHER? The whole thing becomes a DANCE. The music and the mechanics all work so well together, weaving together, your character is constantly mobile, you are doing the mechanics, doing your skill rotation and the music just moves along the beat of it all.
And basically every fight is like that.
It's on another level.

This right here is why XIV's music holds such a place in people's heart. They must clearly be doing something in the background because they sync their music to key moments and you can feel the emotions ooze out as you play.

Even a regular boss theme gains so much more...meaning in its presentation. This song's debut in the first dungeon was masterful as it spent the whole dungeon showing how horrific and devastating the sin eaters. The song gives me a feel of desperation and resolve. Can't but feel hype as hell as the words "We Fall!" are going off as your dodging attacks trying your best to survive and figure out the mechanics to ultimately prevail.

Obviously this looses its affect in subsequent uses but for that first dungeon run for me was special.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Wait, this was a joke? I really dig it lol. Bought the orch roll off MB because it wasn't dropping after like 10 runs.

It was only 5k gil...

Anyway, spoilering video because thumbnail:

That's the final boss theme, which is Soken's, the rest of the bosses play "Giving Chase" from XII (the joke). I do like the final boss music though.

I haven't actually played Shadowbringers yet, I just wanted to see what people were doing at endgame right now and I noticed the music.
Yoshi P is a Matsuno fanboy.