signal

Oct 28, 2017
Could it be true? Do you agree? It's overall pretty diverse I think. I like how ethereal Il Mheg is and Rak'Tika Greatwood music is also good despite the memes.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Why yes, yes it does

I could post a lot of tracks but let's get the meme out of the way now

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
The Titania song owns.

All of XIV's soundtrack owns. I've gotten heavily back into the game over the last two months and have been obsessed with the soundtrack. One of the best collections of work in the industry.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
FF14 is literally in the Guiness Book of Records for most songs in a video game
de.finalfantasyxiv.com

FINAL FANTASY XIV Sets Guinness World Records! | FINAL FANTASY XIV - Der Lodestone

FINAL FANTASY XIV Sets Guinness World Records!
This was 2016. They now added countless more.
The game has so many different songs of so many different genres, there simply is no other game with better music because it has a song for basically anyone.
How does something like WoW or Runescape not take this, jw?

Also yeah 5.0 is probs my favorite ost ever.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
The Holminister dungeon theme and Dungeon Boss theme are two of my favourite songs in the series. Soken is amazingly talented.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
How does something like WoW or Runescape not take this, jw?

Also yeah 5.0 is probs my favorite ost ever.
Because none of those games have a developer studio with a history of awesome soundtracks, access to their own orchestras and in FF14s case, a musical genius called Soken at the helm of the musical department.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously I love the boss/dungeon music, but even the area themes are amazing and really make you feel like the world is dying.

This playing while you piece together the end of Amaurot is perfect.

Good way to ruin your own thread by posting Titania's theme.

What Angel Wakes Me is awesome and it's just one of many examples of weird songs working for boss fights.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Ok so to give everyone an example of how tightly woven the music in this game is, let's look at the Twinning theme (posted earlier in the thread too)

Absolutely slaps right? Yes, but also, this theme actually uses pieces from tracks you find way way earlier in FF14, specifically in earlier expansions.
This happens because the Twinning is a culmination of multiple storylines from previous expansions, all having a part in this dungeon.

We have in there:
Syrcus Tower (starts at 1:25)

We also got Omegas Theme:

And not to forget, Alexander's theme (starts at 3:04):

All of these 3 songs were sampled into the Twinning theme because they all have a connection to the dungeon you are going through.
THIS is the beauty of FF14s OST all throughout the game and the genius of Soken.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
FFXIV has the greatest videogame music of all time and it's not even close.

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously I love the boss/dungeon music, but even the area themes are amazing and really make you feel like the world is dying.

This playing while you piece together the end of Amaurot is perfect.

What Angel Wakes Me is awesome and it's just one of many examples of weird songs working for boss fights.

I wish more would've been done in Amaurot, the city is beautiful and music is so relaxing.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I love the 5.0 soundtrack. But nothing compares to the Stormblood main theme. It gets you so hyped up for any and everything.

GimeC

Sep 2, 2020
It's pretty insane that this game for the most part just doesn't have bad music. Like, I think if you go back to ARR some of dungeon music is servicable at best, but HW onwards, it's all good to fantastic.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Squareenix have some of the best composers in the business, so it was always a guarantee that XIV would have fantastic music.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
I played FFXIV back before and during the period when Heavensward came out. I started playing again a couple of weeks ago (and STILL working through post-ARR patch content) and have once again noticed how boss the soundtrack is. The worst you can say is that some of it is unremarkable (you know, like some of the ambient city music or whatever), but most of it is very good. One of the better game soundtracks and certainly better than any other MMO I can think of, where music seems to generally be an afterthought.

I mean hell, not only did they remix dungeons for the Hard mode (another thing most MMOs do not do), they remixed or change the music to an entirely new track, to boot! Who else puts in the effort but this team?!

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, has had brilliant music since the beginning really. So diverse and often well entwined thematically...while also being great bangers.

Always deserving of more recognition.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, I love the music across the entire span of FFXIV so far.

The main theme to Shadowbringers is super good imo. Love how it basically retells major beats of the story covered -- it's like a butt rock bards tale.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to get to this part of FFXIV, and I'm sure when I get there I'll love the music (Titania's theme is great!), but...

I absolutely LOATHE that login music.

It's way too energetic and epic for an MMO login screen. If you wanna get me in the mood for action, do it when the fight's about to start. As it stands it's extremely dissonant when I hear it and then log on and do a bunch of crafting or something.

It's also LOUD. Much louder than the music that surrounds it. So, because I have people in my apartment with very thin walls, I have to remember to mute or turn down the music or else there'll be about ten seconds of incredibly loud music before I can get anything else to play.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I was not ready for the soundtrack going into FFXIV for the first time. I played a bit of ARR at launch, so I was familiar with a lot of that (very good) early game Uematsu stuff, but once you get up to around the Level 50 Primal trials (especially Shiva's "Oblivion") I really started to notice the soundtrack taking on new life and it was an amazing journey of discovery into appreciating Soken's style. I think the 2nd big "WTF" moment for me with regards to the soundtrack after Oblivion, was A12's "Rise". It's not what I ever would have expected out of an FF soundtrack, but I immediately fell in love.

I always crank the speakers during trials and raids.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So many great tracks to choose from in Shadowbringers. With The Twinning already chosen, I'll throw out the Bozjan Southern Front theme:

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it does, even though I really dislike the standard battle theme.

Last edited:

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017

This piano theme just carries the story the whole way - it really is something great. I think the unsaid thing about this expansion is I think most people like it because of the music. The old tracks were still good, but they brought it up another level it seems like.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah the game has amazing ost with so many examples already posted in this thread. What a variety.

Snozz

Dec 6, 2020
Absolutely insane range and quality of music in this game tbh- Shdowbringers especially feels like it's brought it to a new level

My contribution, such a good adaptation of the main theme

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Ok this video as an example again of how important music is to this game:

If you just listen to the song removed from the gameplay, it's a pretty simple kinda pop electro song. Nothing super remarkable.
If you turn the music off and just look at the gameplay, it's the standard FF14 / MMO stuff of "don't stand in the evil markers and do some mechanics".
But put both of them TOGETHER? The whole thing becomes a DANCE. The music and the mechanics all work so well together, weaving together, your character is constantly mobile, you are doing the mechanics, doing your skill rotation and the music just moves along the beat of it all.
And basically every fight is like that.
It's on another level.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Ok this video as an example again of how important music is to this game:

If you just listen to the song removed from the gameplay, it's a pretty simple kinda pop electro song. Nothing super remarkable.
If you turn the music off and just look at the gameplay, it's the standard FF14 / MMO stuff of "don't stand in the evil markers and do some mechanics".
But put both of them TOGETHER? The whole thing becomes a DANCE. The music and the mechanics all work so well together, weaving together, your character is constantly mobile, you are doing the mechanics, doing your skill rotation and the music just moves along the beat of it all.
And basically every fight is like that.
It's on another level.
Yep I got the same feeling after the add phase of Tsukuyomi. When you're hit with the raid wide damage and she begins the third phase and the fucking guitar hits and it's so fucking good goddamn.