Prometheus.

Banned
Sep 17, 2019
Hi guys, after I end my exams in about a month, I want to forget the hell of a June Im having by playing a nice, immersive RPG. I played the FFVII demo and enjoyed it a lot, but I have heard some mixed reviews about it, while the combat sstem of XC looks strange af to me and not that good, but I have only heard good things about it.

So, I know XC definitive edition isnt here yet, but knowing the normal edition and considering that the diference will mainly be graphical, I would love to hear your rcommendations.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
XBC is probably the better game and notably longer. In addition, it's a switch game and it'll hold its price for much longer than ff7r surely.

That being said I loved both endlessly, so.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I haven't played Xenoblade (yet) but I think if you really liked the FF7R demo you will like the full game. Some of the pacing and padding is egregious but it's overall a solid game with great combat. But as said above, FF7R will be on sale before the end of the year.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think Xenoblade is one of the best JRPGs ever. I like the original FF VII more than the remake (even though the combat is better)

Xenoblade's biggest flaw is the camera feels like it's from a different era and of course I can't speak yet if that's better in the remaster.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
If you enjoyed the demo why not just play FF7R, XBC's auto-attack battle system is not for everyone.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
Man, I never beat XBC on Wii(but got like 30 hours in), and it was amazing. I plan to play the DE of that. Still, if you want something with amazing production values and great graphics I'd favor FF7 a bit. My favorite rpg this gen so far.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've played through the original Xenoblade on Wii and have Platinumed ff7remake. I'd say the game that will offer more bang for your buck will be Xeno. Only get ff7remake if you love the original ff7. I do enjoy the battle system in ff7remake more than Xenoblade though. But xenos is neat enough and the entire sum of its systems, story, ect. are well worth the time investment.

bal

Dec 22, 2018
Barcelona
FFVII offers 'FFVII bibes' but the core is a different game. remake is not an acurated term, should be something like 're-imagined' or something like that. Xenoblade it feels like a true remake. same game (plus new DLC content), better and modern. And Xenoblade is one of the best modern JRPGs ever made.

so Xenoblade all the way.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would say both if you can. I think they are doing different things. FFVIIR has much better visuals overall and presentation , incredible cutscene direction. Better dialogue and characters, but it is super linear and not as epic as the original...although obvioulsy the quality of the content has gone up a lot. When the full story is compiled it should be something spectacular.

X: DE is a bigger game, has much more expansive environments, an equally interesting battle system, and good story and decent characters. It is certainly more conventionally anime in its art, etc.

For me it would be FFVII R first, but Xenoblade is also worth a look.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Can't go really wrong with either game assuming you dig the type of game.

XB is the definitive version of a modern classic, def. give it a try sooner or later.

With 7R you could wait for the GotY/Ultimate version of whatever the version gonna be called for PS5/XSX/PC next year.

It's gonna be a while until all 7R parts are out so you can take you time with that one.

Have you played and/or are fan of the OG FF7 ?

Sep 14, 2018
Hi guys, after I end my exams in about a month, I want to forget the hell of a June Im having by playing a nice, immersive RPG. I played the FFVII demo and enjoyed it a lot, but I have heard some mixed reviews about it,
We're still in May tho...

If mixed reviews are what's giving you pause I hope you're not talking about Era cause I wouldn't trust an Era review of a toaster let alone a game I'm looking forward to.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I've played through the original Xenoblade on Wii and have Platinumed ff7remake. I'd say the game that will offer more bang for your buck will be Xeno. Only get ff7remake if you love the original ff7. I do enjoy the battle system in ff7remake more than Xenoblade though. But xenos is neat enough and the entire sum of its systems, story, ect. are well worth the time investment.

I dislike the original FF 7 but loved the remake so ymmv on this point.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
While XB is a really good game, i couldn't get myself to finish it. I don't know why. FF7RE is one of the best games i've played though.

Still, keep in mind that at best, you'll have 30-40 hrs of Playtime with FF7 and about 80+ with XB. If you want to buy one and then buy the next one later, go FF7RE imo. If you only want to buy one and dont want to buy/afford the other one, go with XB since you'll get a lot more playtime out of it.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Xenoblade is the longer game by a significant margin and if the combat looks odd and you already enjoyed the FF demo combat so I suggest that. And honestly Xenoblade is the more complete game narrative wise if that matters to you since obviously the remake is only part of a whole.

I'd pick Xenoblade over FF but if you really like the Remake combat then go with what you already know you like a bit.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I much preferred FF7R and that isn't a slight at XBC. Just how damn good FF7R is.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
FF7R part 2 and part 3 will just be closer if you wait to play that game.

The original FF7
Chrono Trigger
Xenoblade Chronicles
Are the 3 best RPGs ever IMO, Xenoblade is getting a definitive release, while FF7 has only gotten part 1 of it's "definitive" version, and that can be argued based on the deviations... Chrono Trigger could use a remake...

Play Xenoblade, if you don't like it, you can easily sell it used for about the same price you buy it at and get FF7r, if you do like it, you'll probably end up loving it. The story alone puts it up there with the best of the best, characters and world building is also very strong. Of the 3 games, it's probably number 3, but because the remake isn't a complete retelling and has some pacing problems, and Chrono Trigger's best version is stuck on the DS (PSX cutscenes, no load times, added side quest/back story missions), I think there is no real choice.

I'm excited to play FF7R around the time the second game comes out so I can dive deeply into both and hopefully only have to wait a couple years for the finale, but who knows, with covid it could be a very long time until part 2 is done, especially if they haven't started full production on it and end up waiting for UE5 towards the end of next year, that would put it around a 2023 release at the earliest?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
personally I'd go with the Xenoblade Chronicles remaster, but you can't go wrong with FFVII Remake either. FFVII Remake is an awesome game and Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii was a real epic - I just preordered it and I can't wait for it to come out.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade is a complete game, go for that one.
FFVII Remake is a complete game too. It's just not a complete story as it only tells a portion of the original story that it's based on. And I also think the back half of the game feels pretty rushed compared to the first half, but anyone who liked the gameplay as much as I did could probably look past that.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
XBC:DE mostly cause that's likely going to be the best version of that game. If you can wait for FF7:R wait until it comes out on next gen cause that's going to be the best version of that game very likely.

ashm

Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy VII Remake is a miracle of a game. It has an incredible combat system, excellent writing and world building and it captures the essence of the original incredibly well while also managing to pioneer in many areas. It's not a flawless game, but what "mixed" consensus you feel it's getting is ridiculously disproportionate to its mistakes in game design and almost entirely founded upon the fact that it's "Part 1". Make no mistake, this isn't a "mixed reviews" game, but a landmark in the RPG genre. It's one of those cases where it just needs some time and space to settle in. If Part 2 manages to maintain the quality and streamlines some minor pacing issues, I have little doubt that Final Fantasy VII Remake will become the benchmark for what Final Fantasy is and perhaps even what the modern Japanese (action) RPG should be.

It should be noted that Xenoblade Chronicles is a modern classic that also deserves your time. It's a fantastic game through and through, perhaps a little more "raw" in its narrative, but also very innovative in its combat system and with many elements that are often missed from newer RPGs. You can't go wrong with either, but I'd say go with FFVIIR first.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 100% without a doubt............and I'm not even the biggest Xenoblade fan, but damn the first game was the best and insanely good.

Deleted member 65994

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 14, 2020

Yeah, not mixed. Just disappointing.
463305331540230184.png

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
FFVIIR is one of the greatest story driven rpgs ever made, if you're looking for immersion and well defined characters I think it's the best choice. In terms of the response I feel that anyone who enjoyed the game enjoyed it to a really high level, I've heard many already claim it as what they now consider to be the best game ever made which is incredible and beyond the reception I expected for it. As with any great game there'll always be those who don't care for it, just like with the original.

Xenoblade is also an excellent game but is structured a lot more like an offline mmo with open areas, hundreds of fetch quests and a greater focus on exploration. It's weaker on the character and story front but definitely much more suited to those who like something more gameplay focused or for those who prefer western style rpgs.

Time expectations are also important to mention: FFVIIR is a tightly packed 30-40 hours while Xenoblade is built around vast side and optional content which is much more geared towards a 100+ hour experience.

Last edited:

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Very, very different games, so it's hard to compare. FFVIIR is a very linear, very story focused experience. It does what it sets out to do very well, presentation is fantastic and combat lots of fun, but if you want to get lost exploring a vast game world it might not be what you are looking for - there's just not much or anything to really explore. Xenoblade is of much grander scale in that regard, but it's also very much a 2010 RPG that is filled with literally hundreds of simple (but optional) fetch quests. It also got a decent story to tell, but it's obviously not as much of a spectacle as FFVIIr.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine saying this with no irony. The entire game from beginning to end diverges from the source material. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it's the truth.

The story beat is not changed. There are certain events that unfolded differently due to their attempts in fleshing out Avalanche and what not, but the biggest difference is still the ending.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
FF VII R will probably drop in price after a while. Might as well just got with Xenoblade

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
FFVIIR is one of the greatest story driven rpgs ever made, if you're looking for immersion and well defined characters I think it's the best choice. In terms of the response I feel that anyone who enjoyed the game enjoyed it to a really high level, I've heard many already claim it as what they now consider to be the best game ever made which is incredible and beyond the reception I expected for it. As with any great game there'll always be those who don't care for it, just like with the original.

Xenoblade is also an excellent game but is structured a lot more like an offline mmo with open areas, hundreds of fetch quests and a greater focus on exploration. It's weaker on the character and story front but definitely much more suited to those who like something more gameplay focused or for those who prefer western style rpgs.
What about all the fetch quests in FF7R that bog down the pacing. The story isn't even told well in FF7R, and the changes they make to the source material before they really tell you what is going on is weaker IMO. In the original FF7 it's the heroes who drop the plate on sector 7, their own actions cause the problems, characters die and there is a lot of mystery about Sephiroth that pushes you forward through the game.
This game is a sequel to FF7's movie, and is more like back to the future 2 than a remake
FF7R's combat is much more a focus than the story being told too, it feels a bit like Yakuza got a hold of this one and they ran with that. The whole thing with the side characters taking up much of the screen time is also not a reason I wanted FF7 remade. This is FF7 Redo, and people are just as good waiting on part 2 and part 3, than playing this part now and waiting 2 or 3 years for part 2 to see if Square is a genius or not... I really don't like the move away from tragedy so far though.

Xenoblade has really great characters and the story is great, it's also very eastern, even if you might feel the quests are a bit more like an mmo, it's an eastern mmo in that case.