• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
This isn't even close to true in NA. I bought an incredible amount of PSX games between Sept 1996 and mid 2000. Dreamcast games and PS2 games were also 50 dollars.
The 60 dollar price hike in NA started with the PS360 era.

Yep I remember going to a local game shop in Philly called Game Gallery in the 90's for all of my PSX purchases and most MSRP was $49.99
Suikoden II, All of the Final Fantasy stuff, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid. All priced at $50 at release.

Gamestop and Toys 'R Us also had same MSRP. Only some lower budget games were rarely priced at $29.99 or $39.99. The general exception was the Green Label Greatest Hits line for $19.99

OP
OP
Super Mega Man
Jun 24, 2021
Of course brand new games were being sold and bought.

Here the NPD's annual top 20 best selling games in US from 1995 to 1999 (it's based on dollar sales):
EOca_lkW4AM29WC
I fucking love seeing these lists. Any type of sales from that era are super rare and it's fascinating to see what sold best back before the super boring modern era of nothing bu annualized franchises in the top spot. With the exception of GTAV it's been nothing but Call of Duty on the top spot since what? 2007? Boring.

Surprised Tomb Raider 1 didn't chart higher in any year and how well N64 titles charted in the US despite the console falling to a distant second place. You could tell the PS1 struggled with having runaway blockbusters probably because they had a lot more games to choose from and lacked the pull that Nintendo first party titles had.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
FFIII (as I knew it at the time) was a such a beast of a game for its time i didn't question the $80 or however much i spent on it. i felt that way about a lot of expensive carts

of course i'm glad i'm not paying $80+ for games anymore but i kinda miss mulling over what game purchases were really worth it

OP
OP
Super Mega Man
Jun 24, 2021
This isn't even close to true in NA. I bought an incredible amount of PSX games between Sept 1996 and mid 2000. Dreamcast games and PS2 games were also 50 dollars.
I think the person you were quoting meant only during the early PS1 days which checks out since $60 was the standard for Saturn and Sega CD games too. It wasn't until the N64 came out that the PS1 started competing in prices and they went lower. I remember paying $59.99 for the relatively small (32MB) Zelda Majora's Mask and $39.99 for the 4-disc behemoth FFIX both in 2000 when they were new. Nintendo just couldn't compete with game prices in the late 90s.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
FFIII (as I knew it at the time) was a such a beast of a game for its time i didn't question the $80 or however much i spent on it. i felt that way about a lot of expensive carts

of course i'm glad i'm not paying $80+ for games anymore but i kinda miss mulling over what game purchases were really worth it

It makes the fact the the entire Pixel Remasters of FF1 through 6 with redrawn assets and improved audio just a testament how good we have nowadays when the entire price of the six Pixel Remasters in entirety costs roughly the same as a single Chrono Trigger or FF6 Cartridge back in the day relative to their MSRP. It blows my mind really that I'm so damn spoiled for choice this day and age.

Oct 27, 2017
It is odd that game prices have for the most part not followed inflation and kind of just adjusted based on whatever is most widely used in the industry at the time

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Yep. $39.99 to $49.00 was the price of games in the 32-bit era. In the US anyway.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Shout out to all of my 80s/90s kids who lived in the bargain bin, because your parents weren't touching brand new game prices.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
back in the day i had a friend that was hood rich and would buy a game every month. this is how i got to play a bunch of games. i would always follow his console purchases some years later when it was cheaper and borrow all of his games.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

Did you not read my post? They were $60 at launch, and remained so for about a year. I literally have the receipts. Your timeframe of Sep 1996 is barely in that time range; the Playstation launched on 9/9/1995. Telling me you paid $50 for games in 97 onward is just repeating what I said: games dropped to $50 and stayed there for years.

In 1996 and early 1997, I bought a ton of PS1 games, and they were all $60 except the Namco titles. I literally have the receipts for Ridge Racer, Rayman, Tekken, Jumping Flash, Warhawk, Twisted Metal, Assault Rigs, Descent, and Resident Evil. All $60 except for Ridge Racer and Tekken, which were $50.

I don't have a hard date for the change. I paid $60 for Final Doom in October 96, but I don't have another receipt for a PS1 game until almost a year later; Oddworld and Tomb Raider 2 were $50, which by that point was definitely the standard for quite a while. Almost certainly the whole of '97, and back into '96. I bought a ton of other games that year ('96), but don't have receipts to pin it down. It was definitely in response to the N64, though, so probably near its launch.

I'm more than happy to post the receipts I mentioned. I'm 100% right about this and I can prove it.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I paid something like $120-150 (forget exactly) for Wave Race on N64.

When Wave Race launch in Japan, my local import shop had a store copy setup for play when I stopped on my way home one Friday night. They had zero interest in selling because everyone was playing, but I was having fun and everyone has a price. Not sure I ever paid more except Neo Geo stuff.

That's funny, I have the exact same story for Wave Race: Blue Storm on the Gamecube. I imported a Gamecube before the US launch, but couldn't get Wave Race, just Luigi's Mansion and Monkey Ball. When I saw a local game store had Wave Race running, I asked them to buy it. They said no, but ended up selling it to me for $100.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
People arguing for sonys dominance being cost only are missing out the storage capacity. From my understanding square would have been willing to put ff7 on n64 if the storage of the cartridges didn't make it infeasible with all the cg. It's part of why re 2 for n64 is such a damn impressive port.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
That's funny, I have the exact same story for Wave Race: Blue Storm on the Gamecube. I imported a Gamecube before the US launch, but couldn't get Wave Race, just Luigi's Mansion and Monkey Ball. When I saw a local game store had Wave Race running, I asked them to buy it. They said no, but ended up selling it to me for $100.

I was playing it on an imported N64 also. Same import shop had one a month or so after Japan launch, one of their whales traded it in with Mario and Pilot Wings. They gave me a good price and it was like new, so I was pretty chuffed. They were going for like $1000 at the time new.

OP
OP
Super Mega Man
Jun 24, 2021
Was Turtles in Time good? As a Genesis owner, that was one of the titles that made me envious.
Are you kidding me? It's one of the best brawlers ever made. Not worth paying $65 for such a short game (like most games of its genre it was beatable in under an hour) but for what it was its one of the very best ever made. There's a reason why the new TMNT game is basically done as its sequel in all but name.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Was Turtles in Time good? As a Genesis owner, that was one of the titles that made me envious.

Turtles in Time was fantastic. In fact some folks prefer to the SNES console version over the Arcade release even because of additional content.
Even the visuals are favorable to the arcade release even - https://gamerant.com/tmnt-turtles-time-differences-snes-arcade-version/

It's one of the best Beat Em Up games of all time comparable to greats like River City Ransom, Streets of Rage 2, Final Fight, D&D: Shadows over Mystara / Tower of Doom, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, and even newer contemporaries like Fight'n'Rage and Streets of Rage 4.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
CITATION NEEDED.

Demonstrably false. What the hell?
While people definitely bought new games back then, I believe they bought fewer on average than people do now.

Growing up, I remember how buying brand new games was pretty rare for me and many my friends and family in the 90's. Outside of birthday and Christmas gifts, it usually involved buying used, renting, borrowing, or even just going over to someone else's house to play the games they had. The total amount of games people owned for a given system was comparatively small to today in my experience--especially for the cartridge based systems.

Personally, I was very reliant on renting when I was a kid. In fact, when I first got an N64 in 1998, I didn't actually get any games with it. Initially, I just rented them until my mom bought me a container of loose N64 carts she found for a good price at a yard sale. For the first year or so of owning it, I think the only new N64 game I got was GoldenEye. Looking back at the other cart-based systems I had at the time, most of the brand new games I got were as gifts for a special occasion and very few of them were even recent releases at that.

This is, however, merely anecdotal evidence based on my own personal experiences that I'm trying to remember from over 20 years ago. As such, I wanted to see if there was any empirical evidence to back up my memory. So I looked up the tie ratio (the average number of new games someone bought for a given console) for the older systems. According to the chart on this page, the N64 had an attach rate of 6.83 while the PS1 and Saturn had ratios of 9.43 and 9.09 respectively. Going further back, the SNES had a ratio of 7.72 and the NES was 8.08. The ratios for the Genesis/MD and Master System are extremely high relative to every other systems (even modern ones), so I suspect these entries may be including sales data from the clone consoles with built in games and South America, where both the consoles and games were sold long after they were discontinued in the rest of the world.

Regardless, it seems that most of the disc based consoles seemed to have a higher tie ratio than the cartridge based ones. Further, with the exception of the Xboxes and the WiiU, the consoles released after the 90s appeared to have higher ratios too. If the data on this page are accurate, it would suggest there's at least some truth behind the anecdotes I and others have shared in this thread about people buying fewer new games--especially carts--during that time.

Did you not read my post? They were $60 at launch, and remained so for about a year. I literally have the receipts. Your timeframe of Sep 1996 is barely in that time range; the Playstation launched on 9/9/1995. Telling me you paid $50 for games in 97 onward is just repeating what I said: games dropped to $50 and stayed there for years.

In 1996 and early 1997, I bought a ton of PS1 games, and they were all $60 except the Namco titles. I literally have the receipts for Ridge Racer, Rayman, Tekken, Jumping Flash, Warhawk, Twisted Metal, Assault Rigs, Descent, and Resident Evil. All $60 except for Ridge Racer and Tekken, which were $50.

I don't have a hard date for the change. I paid $60 for Final Doom in October 96, but I don't have another receipt for a PS1 game until almost a year later; Oddworld and Tomb Raider 2 were $50, which by that point was definitely the standard for quite a while. Almost certainly the whole of '97, and back into '96. I bought a ton of other games that year ('96), but don't have receipts to pin it down. It was definitely in response to the N64, though, so probably near its launch.

I'm more than happy to post the receipts I mentioned. I'm 100% right about this and I can prove it.
I stumbled across pictures from a 1995 Toys R Us ad on Twitter after a brief search.

EQbsvLlWoAA5u_Z

As you can see here, Mortal Kombat III for PS1 is $57.99 and that's after a coupon, so you're right about the prices initially being higher. Don't know when they dropped down to $50 as the norm, though based on the other ads I've seen, sometime in 1996 would be a good bet. I thought they were always $50 too, but I actually learned something new today.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Virtua Racing for the MD being something like €100 in Escudos and some SNES games being €90 (Portuguese currency at the time).

Virtua Racing had a processor chip in the cartridge similar to the SuperFX used on SNES.
It was the only MD/Genesis game to use it, and yeah it was pretty expensive.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Chrono Trigger was also $79.99 at launch, my brother and I saved up and pooled our allowances for 3-4 months to get our copy of the game from Target, worth every penny.

Scarlet Death

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
i remember stuff on N64 like War Gods being 79.99 and stuff like Phantasy Star IV was 99.99? i was kind of accustomed to the whole marketing campaign of a higher MB cart being listed on the box the more justified the high price tag was.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017

I mispoke. I bought a PSX on launch day from EB Games and picked up Battle Arena Toshinden. That shit was a million years ago. My bad for getting that wrong. The places where I bought games, they were 50 dollars. That's it. If you paid $60 for some, that's cool too. I didn't.