Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Ff6 is my favorite FF, but what about that song is supposed to be so good? It's like a 4/10 to me. Has some good parts but most of it sounds like generic organ play.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
It's interesting because while I ADORE Dancing Mad and how well it fits Kefka, I think I might prefer One-Winged Angel just a bit more. One-Winged Angel has Sephiroth's insanity to be sure, but also his twisted honor and a sense of overwhelming dread. Like, he casts Super Nova, this is blaring, you're just, oh my God I am sooooo fuuuucked.

It's a SUPER tough call, and one of the reasons why Kefka vs. Sephiroth is debated to this day.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I never got to the final boss on SNES, but I got to the final dungeon.

So there's me, a couple years later, sitting in my little apartment with Anthology and this song kicks in and I'm holding my PSX controller tensely, nervously, and like "let's fucking go".

But have you heard it on an actual Pipe Organ?

View: https://youtu.be/DMDcL0reo5Y?t=442

GODDAMN.

I know I will never be able to objectively compare FFVI to anything else, and I'm okay with that, and this is incredible.

Nov 1, 2017
Nov 1, 2017
Ok, I guess just don't hear it. Seems like typical boss music to me. Glad you all are enjoying it - I will excuse myself from the thread :)
Check out the 8-Bit music theory video I just posted. I'm not saying you will suddenly start enjoying it, but it might help you understand and appreciate why it's such a beloved musical piece. The way this epic track builds on everything the game presented throughout the entire journey, how it intricately weaves the different themes into each phase... gosh, I get shivers every time Omen brings us into the final phase.

Again, I absolutely get it if it isn't for you. Music can be such a subjective medium. This isn't the most accessible theme. If you haven't played the game, I don't think the track will resonate quite as powerfully. But for me personally, it is easily one of the most impressive compositions out there. I only type all of this out of passion, which I hope comes across in my writing in this response. :)

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The multiple movements for the phases that transitions into a more rock opera genre shift for the finale is so impressive for it's time.

It's not my fave final boss theme, but it might be the one I respect the most for sure.

Oh and I didn't play the game until 2012 or so since someone is doing the whole nostalgia only thing

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
I played FFVI for the first time a few months ago and Dancing Mad 100% lived up to the hype. Even all these years later.

I'm a huge fan of One Winged Angel, so I don't necessarily agree that it hasn't been topped (or at least equaled). But damn, is it a great piece. I cannot imagine what it would have been like facing down Kefka 30 years ago and hearing that song for the first time.

dphrygian

Oct 28, 2017
Texas
"Dancing Mad" is a masterpiece, but the rest of the FF6 soundtrack is pretty great too. "Terra's/Tina's Theme", "The Decisive Battle", and "Aria di Mezzo Carattere" are classics, and "Slam Shuffle", "Spinach Rag", and "Johnny C. Bad" are just fun.

Trigger

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I like Dancing Mad, but XIII's final boss theme is my top pick. It just feels like something that should play when you're fighting a god.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
I mean almost all mainline FF final boss themes are GOAT tier.

But Dancing Mad is special, not gonna deny that.

Vaenyr

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 16, 2019
The song is well composed, but I don't see what's "impressive" about it really. Essentially we've got 4 separate tracks that each plays kn a different phase of the battle. It's not really different to the boss rushes in VII or VIII that also have different songs for different parts.

That said, Dancing Mad is a cool piece, but there are many other FF final boss themes that I like much better. It's probably not even in the top 5, or maybe even top 10, for me. If we talk about final boss themes in general Dancing Mad falls down the rankings even more.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
absolutely

i think Dancing Mad was literally THE gaming song I grew up with that I could show music instructors and they would literally just be an awe with it. in terms of construction and how Uematsu managed to make it with the SNES sound chip, it's the greatest gaming music of all time imo

The song is well composed, but I don't see what's "impressive" about it really. Essentially we've got 4 separate tracks that each plays kn a different phase of the battle.
the entire song, and thus each of it's parts, is a reference to the overall themes of the game and Kefka whilst simultaneously just flexing Uematsu's skill like playing Bach's Toccata and Fugue (Dancing Mad in of itself being similar to a Bach evolving piece) on a freaking SNES sound chip. it's just perfect brilliance

Vaenyr

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 16, 2019
the entire song, and thus each of it's parts, is a reference to the overall themes of the game and Kefka whilst simultaneously just flexing Uematsu's skill like playing Bach's Toccata and Fugue (Dancing Mad in of itself being similar to a Bach evolving piece) on a freaking SNES sound chip. it's just perfect brilliance

Like I said, well composed, but not in my opinion not really impressive in my opinion. He brought back some leitmotifs like Omen for the first part or Kefka's theme for the fugue, but from a technical pov it's still simply four unrelated pieces that play back to back for each of the phases.

I'm glad you love it. I like many of its parts too, but I simply prefer other final boss themes much more.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
One-Winged Angel was great... in 1997. Since then they've overplayed and diluted that song to hell and back. The mistake Square made was to officially make it Sephiroth's "main theme" (not, Dancing Mad is the final boss theme, it isn't "Kefka's Theme", which is a different song altogether). They should've pushed "Those Chosen By the Planet" harder, but, here we are...

I'll give this one to Dancing Mad!

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
It's fabulous and then he trumps it shortly afterwards with the twenty minute ending theme.

Kotetsu534

Dec 31, 2022
Incredible score for the final fight, especially the first and last parts, although I prefer at least The Extreme (FFVIII), Lifeclinger (VII Rebirth) and A Contest of Aeons (FFX) to it, and probably some others if I thought about it harder.

Hattoto

Jun 26, 2020
Definitely a top-tier final boss theme.

I can't explain why it's good from a musical perspective, but I love how it has a sense of the game coming full-circle with these two elements:

• The first part of Dancing Mad is a variation of the first part of the introductory scene at the game's beginning that speaks of the War of Magi and how magic was lost and dediscovered. So the theme represents the climax of the narrative role of magic.
  • Right before you fight Kekfa, you hear the same organ notes that play when the game starts.

JAlpsWanderer

Oct 27, 2017
You're right, OP. Dancing Mad is absolutely the best. The way it dynamically shifts with each phase of the battle blew me away.
Lived rent free in my head for a good fifteen years.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

XIII, to its credit, has a lot of really fantastic tracks on the OST.

Kazhar

Feb 20, 2024
I played FFVI rather late and the first time I've heard Dancing Mad was listening to the Black Mages album instead.
I was floored. A 12 minutes opera-rock masterpiece which constantly evolves until it gets to its emotional climax. Incredible work from Uematsu.
I still think The Extreme is his best final boss theme, but Dancing Mad is a close second for me.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Check out the 8-Bit music theory video I just posted. I'm not saying you will suddenly start enjoying it, but it might help you understand and appreciate why it's such a beloved musical piece. The way this epic track builds on everything the game presented throughout the entire journey, how it intricately weaves the different themes into each phase... gosh, I get shivers every time Omen brings us into the final phase.

Again, I absolutely get it if it isn't for you. Music can be such a subjective medium. This isn't the most accessible theme. If you haven't played the game, I don't think the track will resonate quite as powerfully. But for me personally, it is easily one of the most impressive compositions out there. I only type all of this out of passion, which I hope comes across in my writing in this response. :)

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A sprawling four-act symphony that accompanies your ascent up the Warring Triad to confront the psychotic jester-turned-nihilistic god of destruction.

And this was all squeezed onto the SNES. But don't let that make you think it was only impressive for it's time, no, have two arrangements that elevate it even further!

I still think it's the most impressive final boss theme of all time. Later games would have multi-phase boss themes but I still can't think of one that was executed this well. I can still listen to it all the way through.

FF6's musical accomplishments in general still stand the test of time, the opera being another shining example of course (and the distant worlds version of that elevates it equally as much), but I still feel like Uematsu never even tried to top Dancing Mad's ambition. It's like he knew he had nothing left to prove lol.

The final boss of bravely default along with The final boss killing your 3ds friends worlds is the closest we have gotten to dancing mad. Ending E of Neir automata as well to a lesser extent.

View: https://youtu.be/pRFgviKp5hA

View: https://youtu.be/3Nil0qRve4k?t=61

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
There is no equal.

I agree with ^ that the closest that jumps to mind is Bravely Default, but it's not in the same tier.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
That's great! I really mean it. Me? I don't really hear it - like, I'm playing Dragon's Dogma 2 and every encounter theme there seems better than this. Then again, at the same time, music from WarCraft 2 is engraved in my mind and when I listen to it it, to me it feels like the best music in gaming - which means it's just probably the fact I fell in love with the game as a kid and I'm deeply partial to it.

I wonder if anyone here is blown away by this score and *hasn't* played this as a kid. Genuine curiosity.
Yes, I didn't play FFVI or hear this theme until I was 25 and I absolutely love it. I agree that it's one of the best final boss themes I've ever heard. I think I probably have pretty decent taste and a broad enough experience of music and video game music in particular to make that judgment.

I can definitely see how someone could feel each element of the piece is reminiscent of something in the history of music, so in that sense it may not be entirely unique. However, as a whole and within the context of video game music, it's astounding in my personal opinion.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed where you excused yourself from the thread. I hope you've gained some insight into what people are hearing in any case.