scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Fish was kind of an asshole. I'm not sure there's much debate there. Typified the smug Internet dude back then and actively participated in a lot of dumb stuff online. That said, the Gamer masses were, as usual, slime and were much worse. A shame.

Chev

Mar 1, 2021
If you loved Fez I'd very much recommend playing Tunic, which is a very worthy successor.

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps my most fondly remembered gaming experience of all time. The moments you realize what's happening in that game hit me 100x harder than anything in The Witness or anything else since. Just replayed it for like the 7th or 8th time a couple months back, too. Listen to the absolutely immaculate soundtrack at least once a week even now, still the best thing Disasterpiece has done, IMO.

Miss your presence on the internet Phil, hope you're happy doing whatever you're doing now. Maybe Fez 2 someday, huh? Maybe?

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Phil Fish ABSOLUTELY did something wrong. He was insanely condescending and rude to someone who was earnestly asking him a question, insulting an entire nation's worth of games that defined the medium in the process. He was also just in general really nasty and obnoxious over silly things.

Phil Fish did not, however, deserve what happened to him. That I can agree with. There's a line between "got called out for being an ass" and "got repeatedly harassed and ganged up on" and the backlash against him did turn into the latter.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
Phil Fish ABSOLUTELY did something wrong. He was insanely condescending and rude to someone who was earnestly asking him a question, insulting an entire nation's worth of games that defined the medium in the process. He was also just in general really nasty and obnoxious over silly things.

Phil Fish did not, however, deserve what happened to him. That I can agree with. There's a line between "got called out for being an ass" and "got repeatedly harassed and ganged up on" and the backlash against him did turn into the latter.
This hits the nail on the head. He was a dick but got a disproportionate response (of course typical of the internet sadly.) I love Fez :).

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022

Pretty much.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
This is what i like about indie games, Fez could be released today and would still feel fresh and new. If a 10 years old AAA game was released today it would feel extremely dated.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Greatest game of all time. An expression of pure joy and wonder. I've not played anything that captured its level of ingenuity since.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Fez is truly a modern classic. I wish it was BC on Xbox so I could play it with Auto-HDR. Interested to see what the iam8bit collaboration later this year will be about.

Oct 27, 2017
The communal experience of coming together with people to figure this game out and writing on notebooks and translating, remains one of my favorite experiences with any game.

Also, the soundtrack by Disasterpeace is one of the best ever.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019

Was browsing this thread and thank god you came in to get the ship back on course. This needed to be said as I felt like I was taking crazy pills.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Funny. I remember when Fez came out and I was like "this is so...boring" and I generally bounced off indie games. Then Hotline Miami came out soon after and it is still to this day one of my favourite games of all time and changed how I perceived indie games.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Even if he did...who cares?
eh no no no, he was very much in the wrong on his response and stance to the Japanese games dev question.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills seeing the no effort posts parroting that he did nothing wrong.
He didn't deserve the abuse or doxxing quite obviously, but he was very much in the wrong on that, and was no saint.

yeah, basically this.

Last edited:

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Did Phil Fish ever actually resurface since the "controversy"? A shame for someone so talented to not make another game. Is he even in game development any more I wonder.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fez was a game I was extremely excited for but kind of bounced off of in a big way, to the point that I consider it a personal disappointment on the whole. The game feels more "cute" than it is inarguably great. It's an interesting way to design an experience, but when the extent of the in-game mechanics are so rudimentary and where the true depth of the game is dictated by so many outside influences, it became too much for me. It's like what would happen if you asked someone to design a game that has zero inhibitions for meta and drove classic video game obscurity/urban legends into a logical conclusion rather than reaching for what made these aspects compelling.

Still, there's no doubt that Fish had talent, and I was interested to see what he planned for Fez 2 since I could've sworn he said the game was going to be a completely different beast. It's a shame it'll probably not happen.

Also this.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Phil had abrasive opinions that no one would care about if he wasn't a 'celebrity'. Hardly anything worth the reaction he got everywhere.

He was rude to a Japanese developer which sucked, but everything else was reactionary comments to the death threats and harassment he endured from the pre-gamergate crowd and they clutched their pearls because he dared fought back.

Did Phil Fish ever actually resurface since the "controversy"? A shame for someone so talented to not make another game. Is he even in game development any more I wonder.

He started DJing, and he also worked on SuperHyperCube in 2016.

Edit: I forgot to actually write about Fez which is why I came into this thread; game is amazing, I can't believe it's been 10 years already. I remember being completely hooked to it. I think I played it into the summer and it was very much a play into the night, wake up and continue playing kinda game. Great memories.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
the industry is absolutely a slightly worse place without Phil Fish.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Now this is facts not the "Phil fish didn't nothing wrong" revisionist history going on in this thread.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
OK game but I found it incredibly over rated.

Also found the maker to be very obnoxious and arrogant. His comments about Japanese devs, directly at a Japanese person no less, were maximum douche bag.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
The "Phil Fish did nothing wrong xd" posts are fucking bizarre. What actually is this

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
A masterpiece. Will always remember it as the last game I finished before I graduated from high school.

And it's a damn shame we'll never see FEZ 2 because of what seems like a pretty minor altercation between two people on Twitter in retrospect.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I'm glad that ten years later we can revisit the magic of Fish discourse in a thread about Fez, as if it were fresh off the press 🙈

I feel like the great irony is that his hot takes were not too dissimilar from your average Era member's or the message board culture of the time anyway, but he had the great misfortune of being somewhat famous while having little sense for the tact that also demands.

Last edited:

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
For those of us who are out of the loop, what did Phil Fish do wrong? All's I remember is that he was kinda an asshole, but what did he do to earn such a bad reputation?

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I'm glad that ten years later we can revisit the magic of Fish discourse in a thread about Fez, as if it were fresh off the press 🙈

I feel like the great irony is that his hot takes were not too dissimilar from your average Era member's or the message board culture of the time anyway, but he had the great misfortune of being somewhat famous while having little sense for the tact that also demands.
Looking back, 2013 truly was a horrendous time for gaming culture… the toxicity was disgusting.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Phil Fish's own behavior wasn't great, but the harassment he experienced, and the way he became this bizarre fixation for the worst kind of people was really terrible.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Wasn't there a puzzle that no one had figured out?! People brute forced the solution but never got the actual answer to it?!
Was that ever truly solved?

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Phil Fish did nothing wrong.

I remember finding out about the game about a week before launch in the old site. I knew nothing about any of it. In the thread, it was toxic. So many people attacking him and making him out to be horrid. I genuinely thought he was a murderer or sex offender from the comments I was seeing. Then I googled him and saw he said some things about Japanese games. Really tame things.

I was blown away. I could not believe so many people were attacking him in the way they were because of that.

I don't know if he has done anything sus since then. But at that point at launch, the vitriol towards him was awful.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
For those of us who are out of the loop, what did Phil Fish do wrong? All's I remember is that he was kinda an asshole, but what did he do to earn such a bad reputation?

AFAIK he doesn't actually have a 'bad reputation' per se. In some instant/interview or something he made a comment/statement that was insensitive IIRC and he was rightly criticized for it. Thats about all.

Crazy toxic gamers went way overboard on some other shit later on and he backed out of the scene and I dont think anyone blames him. He was being doxxed which is absolutely ridiculous. Its just bizarre seeing people pretend that the microscopic feedback he got for what he said that one time was unwarranted. From what I can recall it was absolutely warranted. The overboard nonsense that came afterwards however was WAY out of pocket.

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021
phil's comments about japanese games were harsh but true. he could have said it better but japanese studios were chasing western aaa fare at the time and producing some truly shit tier garbage. quantum theory anyone?

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
I remember finding out about the game about a week before launch in the old site. I knew nothing about any of it. In the thread, it was toxic. So many people attacking him and making him out to be horrid. I genuinely thought he was a murderer or sex offender from the comments I was seeing. Then I googled him and saw he said some things about Japanese games. Really tame things.

I was blown away. I could not believe so many people were attacking him in the way they were because of that.

I don't know if he has done anything sus since then. But at that point at launch, the vitriol towards him was awful.
You gotta remember Fez was launching as a 360 exclusive. So of course there was fanboyism in the mix, as well.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Damn. This game is still sitting on my Steam Wishlist. Its the game I added the longest time ago.... on July 13th 2013

I should probably just buy it already!

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Phil Fish was absolutely an abrasive person (I'm using the past tense, as I have no idea how he is now). I think his response to that Japanese developer was unnecessarily harsh, even if there was a seed of truth in what he said. That being said, despite being prickly, and being able to rub people the wrong way, Phil Fish also supported vulnerable people.

When TotalBiscuit was doing his damndest to legitimize Gamergate, Phil Fish was one of the very few game developers who was speaking out against the movement.
He was one of the few public-facing people who acknowledged what it truly was. So was Phil a giant dick sometimes? Yes. But was he actually a solid human being? I think so.

Human beings are complicated. Phil Fish is a human being.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through this thread, I clearly must have missed something back in the day since the game didn't do much for me and I dropped it pretty quickly. I love puzzle games, though. Guess I should revisit it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through this thread, I clearly must have missed something back in the day since the game didn't do much for me and I dropped it pretty quickly. I love puzzle games, though. Guess I should revisit it.

I think it is a pretty great puzzle game. My favorite element of it is how it tailors itself to your needs. If you want a quick, breezy, puzzle-platforming title, you can complete Fez just by meeting the minimum requirements and you will get just that. On the other hand, if you want something that really forces out-of-the-box thinking and careful deductive reasoning, then these are some real doozies in Fez. There are some real gloves-off puzzles here.