• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

Remember how our award-winning video series Tropes vs. Women in Video Games provoked some *feeeeelings*? Well, we're back at it again. Join us for the live premiere of Queer Tropes. This Tuesday at 8 AM PT! Click the link and ring the bell: https://youtu.be/w-5jnTv-OMg

Queer Tropes is a new, three-part miniseries hosted by Carolyn Petit. Each episode is an exploration of a different topic; the history of queer-coding video game villains, the virulent homophobia & transphobia in games, and gaming's portrayals & handlings of queer relationships.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Sounds awesome !

Just sad that it appeared in my subscription page but it is still almost a week from now =/

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Huh, had no idea it had actually won awards. Probably should have won a damn endurance award considering how much shit they had to deal with after posting each video.

Should be an interesting topic. If women have been, in general, poorly represented in the games industry I can't imagine queer people have had it any better. It's probably worse, much worse even.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they going to rip Link cross dressing in BotW? Is that considered bad? I loved that, I thought it was handled well!

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Should be interesting. I don't really follow their stuff and I'm unfamiliar with Carolyn Petit but I did see Anita's Tropes vs. Women videos and they were worth a watch.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Neat. I recently watched Big Joel's video on Sarkeesian and her critics, which has subsequently been mass-reported and taken down by Sargon fans. It's good to see that Sarkeesian is still at it in spite of the ridiculous hate campaign that people are still waging against her.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, had no idea it had actually won awards. Probably should have won a damn endurance award considering how much shit they had to deal with after posting each video.
I love how the capital G Gamers who were constantly harassing Anita Sarkeesian argued that gaming doesn't have a sexism problem while simultaneously responding so vitriolically to what was essentially basic feminism for video games. Did an excellent job of proving her overall points about the issues that still persist to this day btw. Thankfully devs responded to the criticisms and changed for the better.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic! Looking forward to it.

In the last week I had a Youtube recommend me a video about how Sarkeesian ruined Anthem. Just. What.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I love how the capital G Gamers who were constantly harassing Anita Sarkeesian argued that gaming doesn't have a sexism problem while simultaneously responding so vitriolically to what was essentially basic feminism for video games. Did an excellent job of proving her overall points about the issues that still persist to this day btw. Thankfully devs responded to the criticisms and changed for the better.
Pretty much. It was amazingly ironic. Sad, pathetic and dumb, but also ironic.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? Men can wear whatever they want. I mean I wouldn't be caught alive wearing that but more power to someone who does want to.
It can be rightly interpreted as transphobic. I don't know if that's the intent Nintendo had, and I won't extend the benefit of the doubt to them given their patchy history on this front, but it did not land well in the present context.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one cares what you would be "caught alive" wearing.

That segment came off as pretty transphobic, and rightly garnered criticism shortly after the game's release.
I'll wait with an open mind on their thoughts. On first glance I didn't see anything wrong but I'll honestly keep an open mind.

And that first part of yours wasn't needed. My apologies if I offended you. It wasn't my intent.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Are they going to rip Link cross dressing in BotW? Is that considered bad? I loved that, I thought it was handled well!

Why? Men can wear whatever they want. I mean I wouldn't be caught alive wearing that but more power to someone who does want to.

It was handled.... mixed
The restrictions of the city is pretty transphobic even if some npcs aren't ... and the quest to get the clothes rely on lots of "surprise, it is a dude" cliches that are closely related to transphobic stuff.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
These Videos feel like such a long time ago... surely this time everyone matured enough and this time everything will be discussed calmly and respectfully on the internet!
Oh no, this won't be the case, will it?...

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was handled.... mixed
The restrictions of the city is pretty transphobic even if some npcs aren't ... and the quest to get the clothes rely on lots of "surprise, it is a dude" cliches that are closely related to transphobic stuff.
The restrictions are transphobic? You mean the "only women" rule? Oh geez, I guess I'll wait for the video to explain why.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The restrictions are transphobic? You mean the "only women" rule? Oh geez, I guess I'll wait for the video to explain why.

No, it is not a only women rule. It is a "looks like a cis woman" rule. The game even jokes about this with the gorons that nobody can recognize if they are woman or men.
Which is why you can't even take a single piece of clothing inside the city or they will trow you away.

Mirage Coordinator

Alt account
Banned
Feb 22, 2019

Different people find different things offensive. Speaking as a Trans person, there are certain media that I consider extremely harmful and damaging (Rocky Horror, RPDR) that are beloved to an almost cult-like degree by the wider LGBT community. Likewise, there is media that I find extremely relatable and powerful that others would consider problematic.

But a good rule to follow is that if someone considers something offensive, you should at the very least try to hear out their reasoning with an open-mind, even if that entails criticism of something you liked.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You wish. I don't know in what imaginary word you live, but many people care and judge, I'd even say most people do. Be a male, were a dress, take public transport and many people will look at you in a weird way.
In all fairness I did say *I* wouldn't be caught dead wearing that but that's just me. I don't care if you or anyone else wants to. I happen to not like wearing that.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I already did before answering and it doesn't change anything to what you or I said ?
The poster makes an oddly defensive mention about their own wardrobe tastes, as if it is in any way relevant to the topic of how BOTW handles trans identity. I state that it was a needless inclusion. The user apologized for any misinterpretation of what they meant. Not sure what else needs explaining here.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't you know that feminists were the real sexists all along?

Jokes aside, good timing on this considering the recent Atlus garbage and all. Looking forward to this series and glad to see them making new gaming content.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome! Carolyn Petit is great! Admittedly Feminist Frequency sort of passed me by previously (I was somewhat detached from gaming for a little while) and this seems like as good a excuse as any to check out the channel.

Feb 2, 2019
The poster makes an oddly defensive mention about their own wardrobe tastes, as if it is in any way relevant to the topic of how BOTW handles trans identity. I state that it was a needless inclusion. The user apologized for any misinterpretation of what they meant. Not sure what else needs explaining here.

He can apologize all day, I don't see the problem in what he was saying initially and that's my problem with your take on it. You know labelling it as "oddly defensive". Nobody should tell him what his taste should be or the way he should express what his taste are.

Plus, you made it sound like nobody would judge him for what he's wearing. Most people will, period, regardless of the context. Unless you just meant that his tastes aren't relevant in the discussion, which is another problem.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Awesome! Carolyn Petit is great! Admittedly Feminist Frequency sort of passed me by previously (I was somewhat detached from gaming for a little while) and this seems like as good a excuse as any to check out the channel.

Their backlog of gaming critique videos are pretty great, so you've got a good series ahead of you.

Stoked for these new videos.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Cool, this subject definitely needs the spotlight.

Queer people have been gaming since gaming came into existence, obviously, but we're treated like shit. The amount of pushback and condescending garbage we are subjected to, even from "progressive" areas of the gaming community (including ResetERA) is shocking.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
He can apologize all day, I don't see the problem in what he was saying initially and that's my problem with your take on it. You know labelling it as "oddly defensive". Nobody should tell him what his taste should be or the way he should express what his taste are.

Plus, you made it sound like nobody would judge him for what he's wearing. Most people will, period, regardless of the context. Unless you just meant that his tastes aren't relevant in the discussion, which is another problem.
Do you take every post you read as literally as possible?

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
I'll be down to watch this.

Admittedly, my interest is more selfish. I'm gay myself, but there are times where it's difficult for me to explain why certain gaming tropes do or don't click with me when my sexuality is relevant. I'm just hoping people can get some better understanding from all this.

Feb 2, 2019
Do you take every post you read as literally as possible?

What a mature answer. I do. Especially when someone like you, who sounds awful to deal with, is inclined to make people bend the knee to his weird interpretation of words. Like I said, the guy above can apologize all day, he said nothing wrong initially.

You can go discuss with someone else, I'm not interested in pursuing the discussion with someone like you.