• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Government stimulus is how you get checks sent to people.

Monetary policy achieved by buying/selling bonds on the market is not in any way equivalent. For reference, there is 1.75 Trillion in physical cash circulating right now. The banking system creates a force multiplier on that amount making the amount of effective cash circulating much, much higher, especially in our modern electronic world.

I've been attempting to do that. They are not paying money directly to banks. They are increasing the amount of money in circulation. There is a gigantic difference between the two things - they're not directly paying or subsidizing anything here.

Money is the medium of exchange, it's the blood circulating via transactions with things being bought and sold. When an economic shocks hit, the speed at which money is circulating will drop, and this risks seizing the markets up completely like a heart attack. Inserting more liquidity via additional cash into the market temporarily is not "paying the rich", it's pumping more blood in to help make sure the heart attack isn't fatal.

(has econ degree)
Do they print more money to do this or move around money that already exists?

L176

Jan 10, 2019
Problem with stimulus at this point is that it's just temporary relief to the market that keeps companies afloat for a while. It still wont help the economy much as people will stop spending because of the virus. That's why the stocks will probably keep falling for while.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you should probably get used to people bringing up the same points bernie would be (and will continue to) going forward because he's not actually the mother brain of the hive mind. If your future arguments are going to be "bernie lost", i fear they might not work as well as you hope.
I said it before I like Bernie's policies. I dislike the man.
He is a stubborn old coot and the epitome of perfection being the enemy of good.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Problem with stimulus at this point is that it's just temporary relief to the market that keeps companies afloat for a while. It still wont help the economy much as people will stop spending because of the virus. That's why the stocks will probably keep falling for while.
People won't stop spending because of the virus people will stop spending becaue the lost their jobs due to corporations reacting to the stock market drops.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
I do not think Bernie would be so irresponsible as to deliberately conflate monetary policy aimed at maintaining liquidity with government appropriations.
How is the leverage situation these days btw? I know there were calls to reduce ratios again, but I haven't followed it all that closely.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020

This is my big problem, the hypothetical liquidity problem has a specific cause but instead of providing guidance and governance that will calm the markets they are promising a 1.5T injection as if they've just accepted that things are going to get so much worse. Which is a pretty clear signal to move your investments, which compounds the hypothetical problem.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
ITT people who don't understand US government or what the Fed actually does lmao

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is the leverage situation these days btw? I know there were calls to reduce ratios again, but I haven't followed it all that closely.
I don't really know, I know the corporate debt thing had been worrying some people. This is going to be way harder to tackle than a normal financial crisis or asset bubble induced recession because the gigantic nature of the slowdown is going to have all sorts of unpredictable side effects.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
But yeah, this does seem good so people can get checks but we can't do M4A or wipe out the student debt and this is just to make rich people freak out. Nice to know where priorities land.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
As an independent who's fiscally conservative and has been concerned about the national debt since the days of G W Bush, FUCK THIS QUANTITATIVE EASING BULLSHIT!

That is all.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
ITT people who don't understand US government or what the Fed actually does lmao
While this is technically true, it is also an understandable reaction when there are so many legitimate grievances that urgently require financing and then you read about a sum this large that's being given out so quickly. It's missguided but understandable.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
This country lawmakers really testing the patience of the middle and lower class. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a civil war in the next 5 to 10 years. Hell might be even less than that.

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
Fed is basically the World Central Bank, it is lender of last resort to the world, Eurodollars everywhere. When banks abroad need dollars where do they go? They certainly can't go to their Centeral Banks when a crises hits, Fed does it all at this point. Global lender of last resort if you need dollars.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This country lawmakers really testing the patience of the middle and lower class. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a civil war in the next 5 to 10 years. Hell might be even less than that.
Lawmakers actually have nothing to do with it, fed is independent. Actually, scratch that, this probably has something to do with Trump.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
This is going to be wildly off-topic but I can't help it.

I just remember when the student loan debt threads crop up, and users with stocks and shit would constantly mock, veneer, or have outright hostility towards inidebted students for having high loans, 'not being responsible', or straw-manning people with debt being losers with meme basket weaving majors.

Yet here we are. The federal government somehow made up $1.5 trillion dollars to pump into stocks. Yet, nobody is question 'how are we going to pay for it?'
Burn this fucking system to the ground.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
As an independent who's fiscally conservative and has been concerned about the national debt since the days of G W Bush, FUCK THIS QUANTITATIVE EASING BULLSHIT!

That is all.
So you want to look back in a year and you'd be happy about a deeper recession than necessary and perfectly good companies (like hotels that would otherwise be full) go out of business due to a freak/black swan pandemic that will pass in 6months? Not due to business cycles or lack of demand etc? And you'd be happy about that?

Fuck You.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also I think it's very cool and normal that the global economy is based entirely around some mysterious black box program that doesn't use real money and constantly gets scared by random shit that causes it to fluctuate wildly.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of whether people misunderstand what the Fed does or how it operates, I am preeeettty sure the larger problem people have with a move like this is just how fast a part of our government is willing to move in order to inject money into the markets, when there have been so many pressing issues over the years and decades that are still unresolved. It is frustrating as hell to see how fast the government moves on the market and nothing else. I think that's what upsets most of us.

I'm not saying that the Fed isn't within their mandate to make this move, I'm speaking more broadly about our government.