milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Last week's episode was decent if overly preachy. I've mostly enjoyed the camera footage style but it's wearing thin now so they should drop it next season. I expect Virginia to survive this season but when she dies it needs to be slow and painful.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Was listening to Podcastica's Walking Dead podcast for the first time in a while, and was surprised that not even Jason could find much to praise about this episode (and season five as a whole). It's gotten to the point where instead of doing weekly episodes like they've always done, they're only planning on doing two episodes for season six: one after the midseason finale, and one after the season ends. Kind of sad to see that not even they can muster up any excitement for this show anymore. Lucy in particular just seems straight-up over it at this point.

It feels like the fanbase for the show is at a worse point than the TWD fanbase was during seasons seven and eight-- not only are the ratings dropping every week, but general word-of-mouth about the show is almost overwhelmingly negative everywhere I look. Almost nobody is happy with the show's condition. Seasons seven and eight of the main show had issues with the dialogue, and too much time was spent on the communities in misery under Negan, but you could still have a grasp of the story at large, characters' motives, etc., and everyone still felt like the same characters they had always been. But with Fear, too much information for the story is glossed over or handwaved away (why they were stranded early in the season, how they put together a plane, how they got to the oil fields offscreen, why Dwight was still chasing Sherry in fucking Texas, why Morgan chased after an almost-guaranteed dead stranger in a mall... need I say more?), and characters like Daniel and Strand just feel off now because of how they're written, despite how hard the actors try to maintain some sense of continuity with the show's earlier seasons.

With Negan, we at least knew that there was something to look forward to after All-Out War was over, but with Fear, there isn't really anything to see on the horizon. Nobody has any faith that these showrunners and writers can deliver an engaging story that makes any sense, after almost two entire seasons of this. I can only imagine what things might be like behind-the-scenes right now, because AMC and the show's crew have to all be aware of the reception they're getting right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull Chambliss and Goldberg from season six at the last minute, though it may be too late for that? But even if it is, I can't see AMC keeping them on the show after season six... and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if season six ends up being the last season, at this rate.

What a disappointment this show has become. At its height, it was the best thing The Walking Dead had to offer on TV. But now, it's one of the worst things I've ever seen out of a cable drama. They have a great cast, but they've squandered all potential at nearly every turn these past two seasons.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Dont wanna read the thread for spoilers but what's the consensus on era about this season?

I thought season 3 was one of the best seasons of either TWD show of all time and then season 4 was a hard crash with the second half straight up being the worst the show has ever been.

Is season 5 like season 4?

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Dont wanna read the thread for spoilers but what's the consensus on era about this season?

I thought season 3 was one of the best seasons of either TWD show of all time and then season 4 was a hard crash with the second half straight up being the worst the show has ever been.

Is season 5 like season 4?
As someone who also thought season 3 was the best season of both shows, season 5 is just more of season 4B. At least with season four, I could somewhat recommend the first half, and maybe the episode with Alicia and Charlie stuck in that house together. But with season five, it's mediocre all the way through. It's the only season of either show that I just cannot recommend to anyone.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
As someone who also thought season 3 was the best season of both shows, season 5 is just more of season 4B. At least with season four, I could somewhat recommend the first half, and maybe the episode with Alicia and Charlie stuck in that house together. But with season five, it's mediocre all the way through. It's the only season of either show that I just cannot recommend to anyone.
Damn. Looks like we are on the same page. I also thought that alicia episode was the only redeeming episode of the second half.

Whelp. Guess I'll be avoiding this then. Thanks.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They seriously couldn't send a fucking scout team to the gulch first? lol

Absolutely ridiculous.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
They seriously couldn't send a fucking scout team to the gulch first? lol

Absolutely ridiculous.
I'd just like to know why they pinned all their hopes on that place. John, June, and Dwight were at a similar place early in the season, and it had infected in it too. What made them think this place would be any different?

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd just like to know why they pinned all their hopes on that place. John, June, and Dwight were at a similar place early in the season, and it had infected in it too. What made them think this place would be any different?

John said it was built not to depend on electricity or gas with grazing area and fenced in protection. Gulch's are usually near a fresh water source too.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
After this season I'm done. I'm already at the point where I put it on in the background while doing other things because at this point it's so bad it's hard to watch.

This, walking dead and the terror season 2 are straight up stinkers. They need better show runners and writers.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Some people in the press have watched the season finale, and it seems like most aren't liking it.

Apparently, the final few minutes in particular are pissing people off. Makes me wonder if some beloved characters are going to die, if it'll end on a cliffhanger, or both.

At this point, I'm only looking forward to the finale for three reasons: I want to see just how bad Chambliss and Goldberg can make it, I want to finally be free of this shitty season, and I want to be that much closer to the season premiere of TWD.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Already this far in the season, may as well see it though.

I made judicious use of the fast forward button to get thru the episode. I'll finish out the season but I think I'm done unless they shake things up. This is time I've wasted on 2 good seasons when I have a quality backlog.

What is this, a third set of bad guys for the same season? It's crazy. And the chick is super annoying.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I said fuck it and spoiled the episode for myself, so I'm bailing on this thread until I watch it tonight.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I just realized the actor who plays Morgan Jones is the guy who survived this whole franchise the most. The only one who appeared on the very first episode and is still on the show, kinda.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
So both Fear and the premiere for TWD should be up on AMC Premiere thus weekend?
Yup. Fear's season finale will be on Premiere at 9PM Eastern tonight, while the TWD season premiere should be up at 9PM Eastern on Sunday night (the same time the Fear finale airs on AMC, lol).

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Having read the spoiler,
I'm actually surprised people are pissed lol

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Having read the spoiler,
I'm actually surprised people are pissed lol
Probably because it's a combination between the deaths of Abraham/Glenn and the "death" of Rick-- the anger is less about what's happening and more about how it's being presented to us. They're going to make us wait until S06E01 before showing us if Morgan dies or not, but with how the whole thing's being handled, there's no way they'll actually kill him off. He'll either somehow be okay, or they'll carry him away to the Rick movies. The latter is more likely, I think.

Personally, I'll be glad to see him gone. Maybe in his absence, they'll finally allow Alicia to take the spotlight like she should have after Madison's death.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Against my better judgement, I'm caught up with the show. What the fuck lmao.

Competing documentaries meant to sway people in the post-apocalypse?

how the fuck. I don't. What. Civilization ended and it's just drifters and zombies no one has power really gasoline will start to go bad nuclear power I'm just my brain I don't understand this lol.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching the finale.

It's a shame it took them all season to finally get to a legitimately good episode with not many drawbacks. It's as one of the reviewers said: it's the best episode of a bad season. Seeing so many characters working together or interacting at various points was good to see. I especially liked when they were all working together to herd the infected, as well as when they said their goodbyes once Virginia's people arrived. It feels like this episode had more meaningful personal moments than a lot of the season did.

As for the major "twists"... I guess the game changer for season six is that everyone will be part of Virginia's group now, albeit probably separated from one another. I do like the tease that we might finally be seeing Strand go back to his weasely ways. And I didn't see the twist with Grace being that she's actually just pregnant, although it does sort of explain how her health didn't quite line up with radiation sickness?

And finally, I really don't know what to think about Morgan. I don't see how he's going to survive his situation. Those walkers were getting very close to him, and I doubt anyone is close enough to save him in time. I still think there's a chance it'll be a fake-out and they'll somehow move him to the movies like how Rick exited the main show after being badly wounded, but it's looking kind of grim. I wouldn't be surprised if they just make it an offscreen death. If that's the case, I think his final moments were handled well: the confrontation with Ginny was probably the most tense thing all season (not that that's a hard thing to accomplish), and his final words on the walkie-talkie were pretty bittersweet. The lack of music in that moment really helped nail down the mood, I think.

As disappointing as this season was, I think I'll give the show another chance next year... It's finally back in a potentially interesting spot narratively (the setup for next season has me more interested now), and while it sucks that we had to suffer through this season to get to this point, at least it ended on a somewhat good note, and maybe it'll turn out better next time. I dunno. We'll see.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
So. They either killed Morgan, but like with Madison, chickened their way out of showing him die - or - they decided to pull another garbage cliffhanger like the one that pissed people off a few years ago in the main show. I expect we'll find out the answer this Sunday once the after-season interviews with the showrunners drop - they'll either confirm Lennie James' exit or they'll be cagey, which will of course mean he's not dead.

If Morgan is dead, then great - he was a boring, lame, naive character and maybe with his death they can finally give all the characters their personalities back and even make Alicia and Strand (whose personality made a comeback in the second half of the episode?!) the mains now. Character arc-wise, he finally made peace with the deaths of his wife and son and even got to experience a brief romance before helping to save everyone, so I feel like that would be a good note to end the character on. And the shot of him bleeding out while several zombies approach is one of the more memorable images either show has produced.

If Morgan is not dead, then, well, yawn. Lame chicken shit ending to a totally boring, toothless, pointless season.

The episode on the whole wasn't too bad - some of the characters made dumb decisions, but nothing too extreme for the show - and I actually somewhat enjoyed seeing the group work together to wrangle the herd. The wedding was sweet. Grace not having radiation sickness is stupid (did anything of consequence happen as a result of the nuclear meltdown/radiation storyline?). Dwight maybe hearing Sherry's voice on the walkie talkie was going to happen sooner or later, so whatever. All of the characters being split up when next season starts will probably result in a half-season/season of everyone slowly finding their way back to each other, which we've already seen before numerous times on both shows, so hopefully they have something else planned.

Last edited:

BarcaTheGreat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please cancel this series, end my misery.. I am a dumb fuck who will not give up on this shitfest otherwise. What a horrible season. Here's hoping the main show is better this season.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Well this some ol' bullshit. :(
Feels less like a cliffhanger to me, and more like Madison's death, where they just didn't want to show the death for some reason. Unless a helicopter carries Morgan away in the season six premiere, I think he's dead.

And honestly? I'm okay with that, in two senses. I hate Morgan being on this show because of how the crossover completely derailed the story of Fear and the tone it was going for back in the Erickson days, so with him gone, I'm hoping it'll cause the characters to behave more like they did before season four. We at least saw glimpses of that this episode, with Alicia and Strand being more like their old selves. And on the other hand, it was good to see Morgan get some closure on his family's deaths this season, so in a way, his arc as a character was finally completed.

His death (or at least I hope it's his death) gives me hope that Fear might finally become interesting again. With Chambliss and Goldberg still on board, I have little faith that season six will actually be good as a whole, but this episode was good and the premise going into season six is interesting, so we'll see.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
The showrunners are being cagey about Morgan's death, which of course means he's alive. lol

98T4qIx.gif

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, they are?

God damn it. Forget everything I said in my last post. Fuck.

Our characters all find themselves in some of the lowest places we've ever seen them and the question that we'll carry forward into Season 6 — aside from the obvious question surrounding whether or not Morgan will live or die — is whether our characters will be able to hold onto this growth under Ginny's rule, whether they'll backslide, or whether they'll become versions of themselves we've yet to see.

Also, bonus:

The last moment we see with Alicia, as she's getting into the car with Strand and Wes, one of Virginia's lieutenants takes her weapon, her flash suppressor, from her. And Virginia says that Alicia is "going to need it" where she's going. Which may not seem like much when you first hear it but when you think about what Alicia's been through this season, that statement becomes a real gut punch. At the beginning of the season, we saw Alicia wield that weapon with great authority and skill, we saw her kill the dead, using violence to protect the people she cared about. But that violence also kept her at a distance from those same people. Her journey over the course of the season was reconciling that with finding a deeper meaning and purpose, one that went beyond violence, beyond killing to protect. Morgan played a big role in helping her get there, as did Strand. But now, when Virginia says Alicia's going to need her weapon where she's going, the implication is pretty clear what Virginia has planned for her. She wants to exploit the killer in Alicia. You can see from the look on Alicia's face that her fears of what she's about to enter into are coming true. So the big question there is — will Alicia be able retain the strength and evolution she attained in season 5, or is living under Virginia going to cause Alicia to regress somehow?

img]

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Had a laugh at this:

DEADLINE: The season was a great one.
Anyway, regarding that bit about Alicia: do these guys know what kind of show they're running? Killing to protect is kind of necessary in a show with zombies. Jesus Christ. I legitimately don't understand a lot of their thinking.

Also, I have zero faith they will handle the "apocalyptic colonialists" stuff well at all... Ugh. I'm already coming down from the high that the finale gave me, and it's barely been two days. Whatever. TWD is back on now, and the third show will come afterwards. Gonna try to forget about Fear until it's time to subject myself to forty minutes of torture once again every weekend next summer.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This show became background viewing for me after the S5 mid-season premiere. What a shame. The showrunners really screwed it up.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Why did the showrunner after S3 leave? Was he fired or did he choose to leave?
I don't think we know definitively. When AMC and Dave Erickson made his exit public, they mentioned that he would be working on other projects for AMC, so it was at least amicable to some degree. But it's been more than two years since then, and whatever he's been working on hasn't been announced.

My read is that AMC was unhappy with the show's ratings after season two, so they let him handle season three as his last season while Gimple/Chambliss/Goldberg planned for season four, the Morgan crossover, etc. But that's mostly just speculation on my part. With how Erickson talked about what his plans for the show were post-season three, I don't think he wanted to leave the show.

I hope we learn what exactly happened one day. I really wish he had stayed on the show. I've been rewatching the show from the start and I'm currently on season three, and it's just staggering how much quality the show had in its first three seasons compared to the dreck we have now.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't think we know definitively. When AMC and Dave Erickson made his exit public, they mentioned that he would be working on other projects for AMC, so it was at least amicable to some degree. But it's been more than two years since then, and whatever he's been working on hasn't been announced.

My read is that AMC was unhappy with the show's ratings after season two, so they let him handle season three as his last season while Gimple/Chambliss/Goldberg planned for season four, the Morgan crossover, etc. But that's mostly just speculation on my part. With how Erickson talked about what his plans for the show were post-season three, I don't think he wanted to leave the show.

I hope we learn what exactly happened one day. I really wish he had stayed on the show. I've been rewatching the show from the start and I'm currently on season three, and it's just staggering how much quality the show had in its first three seasons compared to the dreck we have now.

S3 was my favorite season of the entire TWD universe until the most recent season of the main show.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I was actually thinking to myself at times during the ep, "you know, between End of Everything still being one of my fav eps in TV this year, and the second half of this season having more eps I came away thinking I liked than not, I actually think my opinion on the Walking Dead brand has changed and I've come away liking a season for the first time since Fear season 2"

And then the last 5 minutes happened

TL;DR optimism has no basis in reality, expecting the best of a bad situation will just hurt more than the bad situation itself, and I am an enabler at times. In conclusion:

Please cancel this series, end my misery.. I am a dumb fuck who will not give up on this shitfest otherwise.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
S3 was my favorite season of the entire TWD universe until the most recent season of the main show.
It's still my favorite season of both shows, though season nine of TWD is definitely a close second. Season three handles its various conflicts and character arcs with much more nuance and shades of grey than season four and five ever did at any point. And I still cringe when I think of how we went from stuff like Madison manipulating the Ottos to her family's advantage and her arguing with Nick at the dam, to her suddenly being an all-around good person and the show having "Jimbo's beerbos"...

EDIT: Tonight's Talking Dead codeword is "CANDYBEANSIES" and I want to gag.

Please cancel this series, end my misery.. I am a dumb fuck who will not give up on this shitfest otherwise. What a horrible season.
Yeah, this is me, as much as I hate to admit it... For better or for worse, I can't stop myself from watching everything pertaining to this franchise. :/

Last edited:

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've only ever walked from three shows (blindspot, legends of tomorrow, and supergirl- tho I think I'm gonna jump aboard supergirl again) but I think I'm gonna drop fear. I'll give it the season premier, but if its basically the same level of shit.. im freaking done. That season was rough.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
is Salazar still alive?
Yes, but he's a very different person from how he was in the first three seasons. He has a very different personality now and is borderline a different character, just like Alicia, Strand, Luciana, Madison, and Nick were / have been since season four. Suddenly, he's a positive person who loves to sing.

Also, he has a pet cat named Skidmark.

... Yeah.