Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think about and love anime Opening Themes a lot (with the songs playing the biggest part) and many of my favorite OPs are attached to Shonen anime. Because of how long some of those series can become, I find the way they are originally sold in their first OPs interesting because they have to sell the show and premise on a general level while later openings tend to focus on specific arcs.

With first openings in Shonen anime, there are some that I simply never end up caring about much compared to later ones, like Naruto - ROCKS. There are those which I like at first and then in time grow to love like Black Clover - Haruka Mirai (this one helped in large part by how it sort of became the main character's theme song in the show itself).

Then there are the really special ones that I just love instantly. And one that naturally comes to mind is One Piece - We Are.

After all, this opening does a very good job of selling the series' sense of adventure and camaraderie. The song is hype and jolly and just has a really nice feel to it, while the visuals got me super excited to follow Luffy and co.'s travels through the East Blue and later the Grand Line. The showcase of the crew already had me set on a favorite character (Sanji). And even the introduction by Gold Roger quickly made me quite interested in the premise and main mystery of the series.

When thinking of first OPs in Shonen anime and anime in general, We Are comes to mind and puts a smile on my face immediately. With how well it sells its series and how it help catapult One Piece into the phenomenon it has become, how could I not give it the #1 spot of my favorite Shonen OP1?

By giving it to Bleach OP1 - Asterisk instead.

The music! The style of the visuals! The fashion! The editing!
Man this OP is just excellent on every level. This is the first anime OP that actually sold me on a show before I had decided to watch it. While I'm not crazy about what it is selling, I'm absolutely in love with the way it is selling it. This OP felt cool as hell when I got into Bleach years ago and it still feels that way now. There's just no Shonen Anime OP with cooler vibes than this one for me. The beginning of it alone always gets me unbelievably excited when I watch it.

Asterisk from Bleach is easily my favorite first OP in a Shonen anime.

But We Are from One Piece does still get a very respectable second favorite overall and would come in first place for pre-2000s series...is what I'd say if Pegasus Fantasy didn't exist!

(If you have Netflix, just go start Episode 1 of Saint Seiya and look at this in HD. It is majestic.)

Saint Seiya's Pegasus Fantasy is an amazing and very exciting OP as well. This is the first Japanese OP I ended up knowing all the lyrics for because of how exciting it is. As a kid this did such a good job of making me wanting to be one of the Saints, well before I knew what the lyrics even said, cause of how heroically they're presented. This one is also just an incredibly good sell for its series.
(By the way, Saint Seiya also has stellar Ending Themes)

For real though this time We Are is my third favorite...OR IS IT INFERNO FROM FIR nah just kidding.

What are your favorite first Openings to Shonen Anime? There are many others that I love so I hope to see a variety of answers. (If someone has already posted yours, feel free to post another one you love)

Last edited:

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
While I share Pegasus Fantasy as a favorite first opening, let me post a close second:

Finally got the whole anime on Blu Ray, I truly do love it.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Jojo

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Jojo

Jojo

Jojo

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
We are! Smile bomb. And departure definitely are strong contenders.

99 from Mob Psycho.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I have come to end this thread. This is sort of cheating though, as HxH 2011 kept the same opening throughout its entire run (changing the scenes to fit the arcs):

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Legendary. I've loved this one since I was a kid. The Chapter Black version is cool as well.
(When I rewatched the series a few years ago in English, it had a dubbed version which is pretty nice as well, though I prefer the original)
While I share Pegasus Fantasy as a favorite first opening, let me post a close second:

Finally got the whole anime on Blu Ray, I truly do love it.

See I've never even seen this show but I've loved this OP for years since a parody was in Gintama lol.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Outside of good shows.

Cannonbusters Showdown! basically made me watch a mediocre show all the way through.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
No ones posted Flying in the sky yet? G Gundam opening one is legit

English opening of we are was good too

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I love you for including Pegasus Fantasy. It blew my mind as a kid. I was expecting the english song and Pegasus Fantasy blew me out of the water.

As for choices:

JoJo

I like the MHA

Naruto Shippuden

And OFC, Dragonball

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Really highlight the darker tone of the series at that point and we get to Allan fighting with his sword.

By far the most upbeat song in Jojo. Such a fitting song to the style too.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
some good choices here. Smile bomb is the goat imo

here's my contribution

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of great ones but I love the first opening of Gintama

Love this! This is one I only liked a little at first (the first Gintama OP I loved instantly was OP5 - Donten) but have grown to love over the years.
I have come to end this thread. This is sort of cheating though, as HxH 2011 kept the same opening throughout its entire run (changing the scenes to fit the arcs):

Another great one. I was happy that it stuck around the whole show. I also love the 1999 OP1

Great pick.
I love you for including Pegasus Fantasy. It blew my mind as a kid. I was expecting the english song and Pegasus Fantasy blew me out of the water.
I love you for including Hero's Comeback!
But yes I had to show Pegasus Fantasy some love cause I doubt many here even know of it.
Really highlight the darker tone of the series at that point and we get to Allan fighting with his sword.

By far the most upbeat song in Jojo. Such a fitting song to the style too.
"OP1"

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
But yes I had to show Pegasus Fantasy some love cause I doubt many here even know of it.
I was watching a video of opening to classic anime and the takeaway I had from it was that Toei's openings in the 80's were fucking on point.

Also I really like the one for Kinnikuman.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if the rest of Bleach was half as good as its opening.

anyway slam dunk

Yooooooo this is good. Never saw this one.
I was watching a video of opening to classic anime and the takeaway I had from it was that Toei's openings in the 80's were fucking on point.
Indeed.
(Also I messed up I thought I was safe calling Saint Seiya's original anime "from the 90s" but it's even older than that lol damn.)

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Great one I love everything about this, the song is amazing but the visuals are very impressive...but it's the second opening to the show...
Fire Force is ass but Inferno fucking SLAPS

Okay glad someone mentioned Inferno for real. I love this so much. It and Mob Psycho 100's first OP are my favorite examples from more recent series. As a manga reader, I was so happy when I saw how well this OP portrayed the series. The song is so hype and the animation is insane.
Detective Conan OP1 is one I love in Japanese, French and English haha. So good.
Oh, this too:

And the GOAT

Yo Snow Fairy is great. It instantly sold me on the show. Very good vibes.
(It and OP3 are all time favorites of mine)

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Smh for all Silfers hype about One Piece he didn't even pst the best first One Piece opening.

See, there are many other openings I would've loved to include in the OP and as such hoped to see in the replies.
This isn't one of them, but I love it nonetheless and I'm happy you've blessed the thread with it.

DREAMIN'

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are a lot of great picks (Samurai x, Evangelion,slam dunk, etc)

But the king will be always Saint seiya, is just in another level (and I'm really not such a fan of the series)

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Man, many of the ones I wanted to post got posted already, like Pegasus Fantasy, FMA Brotherhood one, Mob Psycho 100 both OPs. etc. Hmm....

Ok, these are some I like:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Many of my favorite first openings are posted, so let's go with these ones:

What an excellent way to introduce us the creepy world that is Soul Eater. And the music is awesome to boot.

And, of course, the first opening of Death Note.