Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
With Xenoblade Chronicles 2 having been out for a good bit now, I thought it would be a good time to discuss players' favorite rare blades.

For me, it's between Zenobia, Herald, and Finch.

maxresdefault.jpg

Zenobia's affinity chart being filled out by beating strong monsters and her abilities corresponding to being better when fighting unique and higher-leveled monsters is also a concept I found really neat.

DOCgG0yUEAAWfXw.jpg

Herald's design is just cool as hell. Plus, her affinity chart is really easy to fill out.

cassins_finch_sim_2.jpg

Finch is a funny blade with a great design that has abilities that can let it perform arts and specials repeated based on luck of whether it can remember if it performed those moves which is a really cool integration of personality and gameplay.

Note: I'm leaving out KOS-MOS on account of it feeling like cheating already being from another series.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I like Aegeon a lot, super powerful. Wulfric has a great design, Sheba is ridiculous (Questline is a PITA too) but I like the challenge, Herlad's design is amazing, and Praxis and Theory are unsung heroes :)

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Mine so far is probably Mikumari (Praxis)
DOQR6sHVQAEwSJQ.jpg

I like her design especially how they translated CHOCO's artwork in-game. Her (JP) voice is great, she has really nice blade quest line with Theory, she is pretty fun to use and nice water effects.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Praxis and Theory are unsung heroes :)
Praxis and Theory, I feel like their quest is the best. It's a good showing of the part of blades in how they don't retain their memories. I just wish Brighid had more of a spotlight in the quest since that's a big part of her plot.

Oct 27, 2017
Come on guys, we all know Boreas is the best rare blade. His quest is amazing and ridiculous too.

Boreas_album.jpg

Okay, I'm a little biased.

Herald is indeed awesome. Amazing design. Same with KOS-MOS. Same with Theory.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
latest

I love Ursula and her bear. Her questline is brutal, but she is such an OP healer and has such a great design compared to many of the other blades. I spent a long portion of the game with her on the sidelines doing her quest, but when she got back it was like getting a DBZ powerup or something.

hqdefault.jpg

Perun ended up being my favorite blade to use in battle. I hated her outfit, but I loved her design otherwise. I got really used to her element and Arts, so I had so much muscle memory on how to set up particular sealing effects or driver combos. When I had parts where she was out, I felt like I wasn't at full strength because I was so used to what she brought in combat. Also, she was my first rare blade, so some of my affection is probably based on that as well.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Zenobia was the first one I thought of. Her level 3 special is stupidly overpowered and her personality and design are fun

Oct 27, 2017
This tubby fucker is a godlike healer, I liked his cut-scenes all revolving around food too.
He is indeed. He's just great. One of his greatest qualities is his ridiculously good defences. He can function like an auxiliary tank without the aggro production and save teams in a pinch.

I thought it was hilarious that he is far and away the fastest being in the entire game despite his size. He can literally move between Titans in the blink of an eye.

Ryan_MSF

Oct 26, 2017
관악구, South Korea
I'm not sure if we're counting story blades, however Pyra has to be top of my list. From the minute she was introduced into the game, her super sweet personality completely won me over. Her development as the game went on, and struggling with her own troubles and really trust Rex was one of the high points of the game for me.

With the others, the biggest standouts for me have to be Sheba, KOS-MOS & Ursula. Their individual personalities really shone out for me, and the moments with them in the heart to hearts really made me laugh, and care for them. For me personally, this cast were just fantastic. and probably the thing I enjoyed most about the game overall.

Igama

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still missing a lot but so far I love Adenine.

latest

Nice design, fun personality, and Mamiko Noto's voice.

Nov 1, 2017
I like Gorg since he's a merman and a Jojo character and he bakes cakes. Also as the second rare blade that I got, he got me through some tough spots early game. He looked so happy at the end of his quest ^_^.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That dragon one in OP i need it tho, i better get it in my NG+ plsythrough. That one would be my fav unique one from now on.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure if we're counting story blades, however Pyra has to be top of my list. From the minute she was introduced into the game, her super sweet personality completely won me over. Her development as the game went on, and struggling with her own troubles and really trust Rex was one of the high points of the game for me.

When I first saw Pyra, I had judged (wrongly) what that character was going to be. I was very surprised that instead of anime waifu garbage (blushy crushy notwithstanding) she was a measured, patient and kind of reserved character.In fact that speaks to the strength of the writing for most of the characters, whatever you initially label them as, they completely surprise you. The only character that I feel was (slightly) underbaked was Zeke, but even he had surprising moments of depth. Even Tora, who I initially hated, eventually won me over to at least tolerance and actually brought needed moments of levity. I don't know that any character would work on their own without the others, but each brought the right traits to make the ensemble work like magic.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you talking about Herald? Because you get her from a quest, not from core crystals.
You get Herald from a quest, not from pulling on cores crystals. Try searching for a wall you can smash down in:

Theosoir

And go from there ;)
It's a quest based/non draw one. There's a shrine in Tantal that you get it from
Yeah that one! honestly i just did the main story and stuff, so i missed a TON of things in game. Will tackle em in my NG+ playthrough soon.

Or well i was wating for ng+ before doin any of that content so that's why i saved it for now.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Sheba_album.jpg

Its all about the bathtub, baby!... and how fucking overpowered she is lol

Also Borealis gets a mentioned cause he is adorable and Aya Hirano is his VA lol

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd probably go with Zenobia. She is a bad ass. I mean, in her quest she is going and breaking these seals that kept this ultra powerful monster bound just so she can fight it. And most of her affinity unlocks involve beating these unique monsters too.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Finally got them all the other day. Feels good man. Haven't gotten to know some very well yet though.

My favorite ones are:
Zenobia
Ursula
Perceval
Praxis
KOSMOS
Adenine

Deleted member 6436

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vess' quest ending was perfect for me.

Doing the job of reuniting her driver's family, and him taking a rest only to have Vess return to a core crystal because the driver dies in his sleep is such a great, dramatic way to end.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Also, if anyone is curious about Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and popping into this thread, the rare blades aren't just character models and stats. Each one is their own fleshed out character, with personalities, cutscenes and personal questlines. The designers even wrote dialogue for them if you happened to have them in your party during certain situations and non-blade questlines. The amount of effort that went into each one is nuts when you consider the level of difficulty it takes to acquire one (the RNG ones specifically, but some of the story blades can be tricky as well) and that most people won't get them all.

Wakawun

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't actually finish many of the quests for the rare blades - I'm thinking of giving it a go in NG+. What's everyone's favourite picks for rare blade quests?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finch da GOAT

When I first saw Pyra, I had judged (wrongly) what that character was going to be. I was very surprised that instead of anime waifu garbage (blushy crushy notwithstanding) she was a measured, patient and kind of reserved character.In fact that speaks to the strength of the writing for most of the characters, whatever you initially label them as, they completely surprise you. The only character that I feel was (slightly) underbaked was Zeke, but even he had surprising moments of depth. Even Tora, who I initially hated, eventually won me over to at least tolerance and actually brought needed moments of levity. I don't know that any character would work on their own without the others, but each brought the right traits to make the ensemble work like magic.

Zeke has some great Heart-to-hearts that really establish who he is. There's one in Gormott with Rex and one in Theodor with Morag.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't actually finish many of the quests for the rare blades - I'm thinking of giving it a go in NG+. What's everyone's favourite picks for rare blade quests?
For me so far in no particular order:
Dagas
Praxis & Theory
Vess (though you've probably done that one)
Zenobia

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Played a lot with Wulfric, I guess that's my favorite as well. Really liked his affinity quest.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Perun was love at first sight and she ended up being the first blade I got, so she has a special place in my party.

Newt is my second favorite design wise but I haven't gotten her yet

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Wulfric - Looks like a monster but is actually kind hearted. I loved the heart to heart where he helps the old lady home. Also, his design is incredible. He has some of the most visually pleasing supers in the game too. TERMINATION BLAST!!!!

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah OP Herald is rad as hell definitely my favorite and powerful as well. All the katana blades are pretty cool too.....well Newt is just ok at least.