• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
"Never" is a very strong word. Let's just say, you wouldn't want to replay these games anytime soon in the next 5 years or later. And let's not include games that you just straight-up didn't like and wouldn't want to replay again anyways.

I'm talking about games that you actually thoroughly enjoyed, like a personal rating of 9 or 10 out of 10, but a repeat play-through does not sound appealing at all.

I've run across two of these games this year in 2019:

Astral-Chain_2019_05-15-19_Artwork.jpg

I have really really enjoyed this game through and through. The story was super cool, the action sequences, the music, the graphics, and the combat! But the thought of replaying this game does not have me excited at all. The red Astral Plane sections were kind of a slog, and honestly, if those sections were just a different environment (like blue or green sometimes!) then even that would help shake it up! But the fact that they all felt the same, I don't want to see those ever again.

I really really enjoyed the combat, but it also doesn't feel like something that you gradually become "better" at playing. I just felt like this game had excellent presentation and going through it again would just show it's flaws even more than on the first play-through. I'd personally give this game a 9 out of 10 on my play-through, I loved it even though I'm NOT a fan of this genre. It's presentation and combat definitely captivated me in a big way. I'd recommend it highly!

H2x1_NSwitch_LuigisMansion3_image1600w.jpg

Just finished the game this morning with my 4 year old daughter. It was a blast! The final boss was great how it integrated the second player into the boss battle in a meaningful way and my daughter came away feeling like she really actually helped with the victory.

But after I've seen everything in LM3, I have no desire to do this again. The combat was simple but enjoyable. But playing this game another ~10 hours would just feel repetitive and boring. After you figure the environmental puzzles out the first time, the second time through would just feel mindless since the fun of the game was figuring out the puzzles, once you know the solution to everything - what's the point? I'm glad the game isn't longer, but also sad that the future DLC is not more Floors of the hotel. The online and multiplayer modes leave out of the best part of the game, the puzzle solving. Busting ghosts was just fine, but not something I want to do for more hours. Again I'd give this game a solid 9 out of 10 on my play-through!

... So what games were released for you that made you say: "That was an amazing game, now I never want to touch it again!"

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Journey. A short and sweet playthrough with just one other player, I'd rather not try to replicate that experience again.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
As much as I enjoyed Link's Awakening on Switch, I probably won't be playing it again to collect all the seashells or hard mode.

It wasn't the performance issues at all that were the problem but just the base game in general.

Oct 25, 2017
I think most puzzle games are like this. Portal 2, The Witness, Outer Wilds. All undoubtedly some of the best experiences I've ever had playing games, but they're experiences I don't think would be rewarding to revisit.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really, really loving Control right now but based on the way the game is set up I don't know if I'll ever play through it again after I finish it. Does that count?

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Spec Ops: The Line

Fantastic game but once you know the story and what it's trying to get at, there's not much point in replaying it.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Journey, I haven't replayed it since out of fear of another play through making the first less special.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Almost every game for me. It's extremely rare for me to replay anything, I'd rather just keep playing new games than replay old ones, I don't get the same enjoyment from replaying things.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Most recently, Death Stranding. I had a reasonable amount of fun, but I never want to play that again

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Probably Breath of the Wild. I've explored practically every inch of the map. After a very long time, I might forget a lot of things, but the sense of discovery the game gives you is really what makes it special.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head:

Until Dawn
Moirai
Inside
Journey
God of War (2018)
The Witness
Return of the Obra Dinn

OP
OP
TYRANITARR

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy. It was a fine game, but not something I'd want to pick up again after finishing it.
Yeah I kind of feel that way about Mario Odyssey. REALLY loved that game, but after you see everything once, the entire game loses it magic. Collecting Moons is okay, but really it was about seeing the stuff more than collecting it.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
What Remains of Edith Finch - Fantastic game, see no reason for replaying it again or...well except for being sad again.
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - see above...well it's not as good as Edith Finch but it's relatively close.
Dishonored 1 - One of my favorite games and I've only played it once, Dishonored 2 is even better and I'll probably replay it again someday.

OP
OP
TYRANITARR

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Probably Breath of the Wild. I've explored practically every inch of the map. After a very long time, I might forget a lot of things, but the sense of discovery the game gives you is really what makes it special.
I also agree. LOVE that game. But I tried firing it up a year after it released and it didn't have the same magic as when I first played it.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time replaying Dark Souls games fully.
I guess my characters are so massive by the end I never feel like re-rolling to try a pyro or mage build because my mystic warrior covers most bases even if it never reaches the high INT and FTH spell requirements.

Dark Souls 1 was the only exception, I've beaten it maybe 3 or 4 times. I think the lore was just so new and mysterious that I had to.
Dark Souls 2 I half replayed after midway restart and making a new char. But DS3 was definitely a "I think I got all of that the first time" experience.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Probably DMCV. Extremely fun combat and action but I hated
playing as V
So I don't see myself playing though it a second time unfortunately.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree on luigis mansion. I just beat it last night at 10 hours, i had a great time for the first five hours, but the last five hours began to feel very tedious at least until i reached the finale which i thought was great

Oct 27, 2017
for me personally, Red Dead Redemption 1 & 2. Just long and I feel like I got everything out of it. I think I feel the same with Horizon Zero Dawn as well

OP
OP
TYRANITARR

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I agree on luigis mansion. I just beat it last night at 10 hours, i had a great time for the first five hours, but the last five hours began to feel very tedious at least until i reached the finale which i thought was great
I think the game sits well for people who played through it slowly. I played about a floor each play session, never 2. I enjoyed it a lot. But I think if I had binged that game I would've really disliked it for its reptitiveness.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a really extensive metric for me. A whole lot of games qualify.

Super Paper Mario was a game I enjoyed in the moment but I was pretty let down in the grand scheme of things and how I didn't feel like going back to it after I'd beaten it. I sold it some time later for Prime 3, and for a while I had buyer's remorse but when I replayed it again some time later I realized I really didn't care for it much as I thought I did, so I went through a lot of different moods when it came to that one.

I guess almost every Pokémon game would qualify here if you exclude the remakes. I did replay RBY and GS at some point after I first beaten them, but every single game I've played since Gen 4 has largely been a one and done deal for me that I play for a while, do some postgame stuff, and then never replay. The games just weren't made for replayability, imo.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the game sits well for people who played through it slowly. I played about a floor each play session, never 2. I enjoyed it a lot. But I think if I had binged that game I would've really disliked it for its reptitiveness.

yeah, i sort of binged the last half of the game last night. I probably should have spaced it out

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I kind of feel that way about Mario Odyssey. REALLY loved that game, but after you see everything once, the entire game loses it magic. Collecting Moons is okay, but really it was about seeing the stuff more than collecting it.

Goes for Odyssey too. I tried that extra moon level/boss after I beat the final boss, but fuck that noise, they just made me annoyed :p So yeah, I finished it up, but don't feel the need to go collect every moon or finish the bosses.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest 1. I played it, enjoyed it, had issues with it, finished it and will never play it again.

EDIT: Misread the intent of the OP's thread and just want to clarify that I personally don't hold DQ1 that highly. It's a solid 6/10 game for me that I had some fun with but was mostly playing just to say I beat it and now that I have, I have no intention of going back to it. As for some detail as to why I won't go back to it, the game is basically grinding the game and I really don't want to go through it all again when everything else in the game was pretty meh due to its age.

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Of my top 10, Metal Gear Solid 4 is the only one I'd never see myself playing again because it's so story-heavy and a linear game, and I've already absorbed everything I can about it. If i could erase my memory of the game, I would just to play it again.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Mario Odyssey. Once I finished the game I have never started it back up again and never will. My son still plays it from time to time though just to be a bad ass T-Rex.

LoveBug566

Oct 27, 2017
Most RPGs for me. I've only ever played two RPGs to completion and that's FFVII and Chrono Trigger.

OP
OP
TYRANITARR

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Every single game out there. I don't replay games.
I was mostly talking about games you REALLY REALLY enjoyed, like a personal 9 or 10 out of 10 experience. So that probably wouldn't be EVERY game you play, right?

I was thinking about games that would go on your personal "Favorite Games I've ever played shelf" - and would just sit there. You woulnd't play them again, but damn you have a GREAT memory of playing it.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Assassin's Creed 1. It hasn't aged well, and I wouldn't have finished it back in the day if the main story didn't keep me engaged. The side quests were so repetitive but I had a good time overall.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Probably Undertale. After getting the true pacifist ending, I feel like coming back and getting other endings would go against the message of the game. I wouldn't want to mess up the world I left behind, if that makes sense lol

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Most single player games.
Sometimes I had such an amazing journey with a game the first time around, I don't want to play it again because I know it won't hold up to that first experience.
Sometimes a big part of the experience is to see the story unfold for the first time.
Sometimes, especially bigger games, require a freaking lot of time, which I'm more than happy to invest the first time, but not again.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
For me, unless it is a multiplayer game, all of them are a one time play through. I think the only two exceptions I have ever had was playing through the first Shenmue three times and Metal Gear solid for the psx twice.

I don't know, once I know the story line or what happens I just don't need to play the same game again over.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Basically everything I play. I don't replay games so they are all one and done.

I did in the past when I had no income of my own, but not anymore.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
The best PS4 game, The Last Guardian, a wonderful masterpiece that I don't think I have the strength to play it a second time, it's such an unique experience that it will probably retroactively lessen the impact the game had on me when I played it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Deadlight. It's such a pure, thought-provoking experience. I need not play it again, lest I taint what was already the perfection gaming experience with my newly addled mind. An unfortunate turn of events that I cannot play my favorite game a second time, but it is actually all of you who have not played it that I pity the most.

220px-DeadlightBox.jpg

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This is most every game for me.
I don't typically replay games anymore, they're way too long.
I did beat Sekiro 5 times this past year, but that's just a testament to how amazing that game is. I also played a ton of Astral Chain post game, I only stopped playing cause I had to move on to DQ XI, but I was still having a great time

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i still havent finished it (getting close tho) but it will be Assassins Creed Odysse. Greatly enjoyed my (long) time on it. Absolutely will never replay it, and since its taking quite some space on my HD the moment i see the credits is the moment i uninstall it and forget i ever owned it