• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
It could be more fucked up in a post apocalyptic game world. Like eating dogs in the game. To be honest I'd rather kill pixel humans than animals.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand being more sensitive to violence against animals than humans. So strange.

And the "I'm going to eat a puppy mwahaha" is such a weak and cliche way of being like "Look, I'm a bad guy!"

With animals that traditionally live with humans (dogs and cats, basically), there's a sense of betrayal involved towards the animal that the animal will be unable to understand. I think that's what makes it bad.

However, it's in a post apocalyptic world, morals will have gone out the window. I swear some people want games set after the collapse of society to have all social problems somehow figured out in the process. Like, how the hell would that even work? Everything would get far, far worse.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Using that logic are we all just violent sociopaths then?
For myself I don't enjoy playing games where I violently kill other humans and or animals. Just not my thing, but by all means go for it if you like it. I'm not trying to stop anyone from doing it and I'm not calling anyone names or pretending to know the mental state of those who like this sort of thing. It's not my place to judge. Hope I didn't offend anyone. Too late I guess. I don't get the argument that it's fine since it's a game.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Well the game looks like dog shit so I guess they had to pull every last gimmick they could to get people to talk about it.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Didn't one of the side villains in 5 capture families, starve them, chop off the parents fingers and then feed them to the kids? Not saying this to defend ND, but it seems on brand at least.
It's a villain, the game is telling you that's bad and this person should die for doing that.

These games will ask you to torture innocent animals and make jokes about it with zero logic to the story or world.

Oct 27, 2017
We really gonna compare the non agency of animals who are made victims to violent evil game goons who attack first and say it's the same huh
They're virtual animals not real animals. All NPCs have no agency. You don't see how someone could be abhorred by something in real life, but have no problem with it in a game? I can understand people bothered by both, but I can also understand people not bothered by it in virtual settings

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
CobraCommander.jpg

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Far Cry 5 was such a nothing event. Absolutely soul less game that had some of the worst gunplay I've ever seen. Sure, it's looked pretty and there was some potential but that game when I recollect on it was just a fucking tedious boring slog of a game. The co-op is the only reason to play it. I have a feeling this game is worse then that experience by a country mile.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Interesting. Judging by some of the replies here, some people would be apparently fine with child rape and torture in FC, too, because "it's just pixels" and "that's post-apocalypse for you".

Funny how you fail to grasp violence against animals is a trigger for many people.

Clearly you never read the threads about those hentai games on Steam.

You shouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Interesting. Judging by some of the replies here, some people would be apparently fine with child rape and torture in FC, too, because "it's just pixels" and "that's post-apocalypse for you".

Funny how you fail to grasp violence against animals is a trigger for many people.
There has been torture in Far Cry, I'm pretty sure.

The difference is between child rape and killing virtual animals is huge because hunting is already a huge component of the series. Sure, killing dogs is messed up but also... it's not the first game to do it? Modern Warfare 3 had C4 dogs and many FPS games have dogs too.

RDR 2 has bounty hunting dogs that track your scent and attack you. This is just a bit more grim but I don't think it's by any means the worst thing ever in a video game, especially not worthy of being compared to child rape.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was expecting dog fighting or something like that. We can slaughter humans by the hundreds in the most sadistic ways but enemy suicide dog bombers is too far? Yikes.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they'll kill puppies for 6.
And not like those puppies that walk and stuff, but the small newborns that haven't even opened their eyes yet. Let's kick it up a notch.
Dogs are shit, people are great, it's all digital. Right?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Let's be real, you didn't need to see this "news" in order to have an excuse not to buy the game. You probably already had a laundry list of reasons, some valid, some not, and you saw this information and decided to use it to publicly announce that you were finally pushed over the edge, and are now passing on the game.

You mean publicly announce to the five people who read my post. If you think i think people read my posts you're wrong.

But you are right. There's a number of things that were keeping me from buying it, and with this it means i will assuredly not purchase it.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If the game is what you have issues with... It's worth a read about what happens in other cultures throughout the real world. WARNING: Disturbing images!
https://m.ranker.com/list/cultures-that-eat-dogs/laura-allan

I wouldn't advise someone to play FC:ND if they get upset/affected emotionally a lot by events/activities in game relating to said subject, but the reality is it is culturally happening now outside of the game regardless. Western culture, dogs and cats are household pets/family and in general is alien to see them as anything else so uncomfortable when we see them come to harm.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Far Cry 5 only encourages the player to be violent against humans when they are evil.
I respect your opinion in the rest of your post, but is this statement really true? Is every member of Seed's church unequivocally evil? Is Seed himself evil? I mean, his methods were at best questionable, but he was right, in the end.

I'm not defending the "baddies" in the game. But I don't think systematically murdering every single member of the church you come across is readily justified by simply labeling them all "evil".

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
There has been torture in Far Cry, I'm pretty sure.

The difference is between child rape and killing virtual animals is huge because hunting is already a huge component of the series. Sure, killing dogs is messed up but also... it's not the first game to do it? Modern Warfare 3 had C4 dogs and many FPS games have dogs too.

RDR 2 has bounty hunting dogs that track your scent and attack you. This is just a bit more grim but I don't think it's by any means the worst thing ever in a video game, especially not worthy of being compared to child rape.

Fine, it's a false equivalency, but when somebody's sole argument seems to be "it's NOT REAL bro", then by what logic they're not fine with some NOT REAL bro stuff while being fine with other NOT REAL bro stuff?
I feel like they should choose a different counterpoint.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
If the graphics, animations and behaviour were lifelike, I would understand the point of the article.

But ... C'mon. We are not there yet in terms of realism, and they are clearly animals made of code.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Far Cry 5 was such a nothing event. Absolutely soul less game that had some of the worst gunplay I've ever seen. Sure, it's looked pretty and there was some potential but that game when I recollect on it was just a fucking tedious boring slog of a game. The co-op is the only reason to play it. I have a feeling this game is worse then that experience by a country mile.

What does that have to with the topic of this thread anyway?

The game was clearly rushed to market and not a single person I know has mentioned this new iteration so I'd have to disagree. They needed something to draw attention to this.

Username checks out I guess.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I respect your opinion in the rest of your post, but is this statement really true? Is every member of Seed's church unequivocally evil? Is Seed himself evil? I mean, his methods were at best questionable, but he was right, in the end.

I'm not defending the "baddies" in the game. But I don't think systematically murdering every single member of the church you come across is readily justified by simply labeling them all "evil".

It wasn't even that deep. I guarantee the people who made they game thought less about the Seed's than you are right now.
Far Cry 5 had SO MUCH potential to dive in on some heavy issues happening in rural America right now and they never committed to a single thing. It was such a pansy ass story and approach to what could've been a genuine statement on America.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm about as big of a dog lover as you can be but this is some ridiculously overblown shit considering you were snapping dogs necks with your bare hands in Call of Duty 4 almost a decade ago and there wasn't much outrage then.

They're virtual animals in a series that requires you to hunt virtual animals among while murdering a sea of virtual humans in incredibly violent ways, this isn't the PETA Power Hour.
The game was clearly rushed to market and not a single person I know has mentioned this new iteration so I'd have to disagree. They needed something to draw attention to this.
This isn't controversy bait but somehow you still found a way to get snagged on the hook. If you don't have any interest in the game, okay, fine, why are you here complaining about it? Aren't there like 100 other games that released today that maybe you'll enjoy talking about more?

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck does that have to do with anything? I'm not gonna share my personal shit, but you don't get to appropriate this.

Real life dogs aren't going to be affected by virtual dogs getting blown up. Real life people, on the other hand, can and are negatively affected by portrayals of rape, as they can trigger one's PTSD.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I have to say, I am a huge dog lover and whilst I find it kind of puzzling as to the reasoning behind them including the things they have, it doesn't really bother me.

I mean, you literally slaughter 1000s of virtual humans in games like this, what difference does it make if it's an animal being hurt or slaughtered?

None of it is real anyway let's face it, if I felt guilty everytime I killed something in a videogame I would hate myself for eternity, lucky for me all those millions of lives I have taken in games aren't real and my conscience can rest easy.

That being said, people are free to feel upset about these things and that's fine.

My best advice would be to ignore the game and move on to something more appropriate that doesn't upset you, I mean that sincerely.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
I kinda thought OP and the provided link were a bit tongue-in-cheek but no I guess some folks are actually this bothered? Well everyone has their lines they don't want to cross I suppose. Nonissue for me.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean.... the article's content doesn't really match the headline. The game doesn't hate dogs - I think it's the opposite. It loves dogs, and knows you love them too. So when you see them being used in this way, it makes you hate the villains that much more. Who would strap C4 to a dog?

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Interested in what games OP has. Seems like you can kill dogs or an animal in just about every game now. At the end of the day it's a game for me. I've blown up Megaton, caused races/creatures to go extinct and have killed plenty of dogs when I was playing the Division. Play games for fun and I'm rarely left with regret from killing something. I was sad when Soap died in MW3 though.