• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
but what about those huuge ass maps that are sooo huge that they are a chore to play through?
Considering how the gameplay works you could definitly change most chapters and turn them into 2-4 smaller chapters than 1 big one.

Without spoiling too much, just take the tutorial map until you get the first castle as the actual tutorial and then the second part as the proper chapter 1.

I mean, you basically still only move from A to B on these maps and rarely have to backtrack. So turning them into smaller chapters with longer intermissions shouldn't be a problem.

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
I mean pretty sure for most of the audience of FE the story and characters are big deal and Fates is clearly the worst story and wasted characters in the franchise
Yeah, that definitely seems to be the case. Though imo not a single FE I've played deserves an award for its story. Most of them are really basic. Haven't played Genealogy though. Maybe it's different for that game.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
the games are pretty meh. i played and beat them on my japanese 3DS recently. stiff animations. story is okay i guess but i dont think Nintendo will allow things like mind control rape. also the overly big maps make it a chore to play. binding/ blazing blade are much more compact and damn the animations sure are the best in the series.

Man, i remember the good old days when FE6 just came out and the FE6 animations were reviled by the fanbase.

I personally can't stand the gba animations.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Good list, altough I'd put Path of Radiance on third, Blazing Blade on fourth and Awakening in fifth.

Conquest may have good gameplay, but games aren't just gameplay. Fates characters' and story is trash tier, to the point I can't care about the gameplay because I don't care whether characters live or die. I'd prefer good gameplay with a good story, like Path of Radiance, or at very least a game with a serviceable story and characters.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Thracia 776 and GotHW are top. Everything else is good with Awakening, Fates and TH being waifu bait garbage.
Awakening and definitely Fates I can see, but I'll never understand this complaint in regards to Three Houses. It's one of the most complex casts the series has ever had.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Genealogy of the Holy War remake is most likely next, handled by IS themselves.
images

Celebrating the victory of the king!
Retro Studios doesn't have anything to do with this though.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Famitsu fan rankings always start with whatever the most recently released title was at #1. If that's not the case then the game must have been a complete bomb. I'm not saying Three Houses is a bad game and doesn't deserve the top spot, but just take the results with a grain of salt.

Same thing happens every time they do a poll after a new Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy comes out. It's mostly kids who respond to these polls, the adult demographic doesn't participate much. A couple of years ago fans voted Final Fantasy 13 as the best in the series over everything else after the game had only been out a few months. I think 6 was the oldest entry on the list and it was near the bottom with Final Fantasy 10 above it.
You know the list is right there right?

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Awakening and definitely Fates I can see, but I'll never understand this complaint in regards to Three Houses. It's one of the most complex casts the series has ever had.

I'm obviously a huge genealogy stan, but Genealogy wasn't devoid of waifu baitiness (Sylvia isn't actually the best example of progessiveness), and Kaga expliclity was inspired by Romance games at the time.

I'd argue that character design only got good with Radiant Dawn, and .... well you know how well that game sold.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm obviously a huge genealogy stan, but Genealogy wasn't devoid of waifu baitiness (Sylvia isn't actually the best example of progessiveness), and Kaga expliclity was inspired by Romance games at the time.

I'd argue that character design only got good with Radiant Dawn, and .... well you know how well that game sold.
Yeah. Given that it was the FE that first introduced a love/child mechanic, none of that is really surprising.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
3H is as much of waifu bait than the nes/snes era games. Let's not forget that the old games are the ones that introduced mini skirt soldiers and women that mostly serve as plot devices.

Imo the only games with no blatant waifu bait is the tellius games and even then they have things like lethe

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
FE7 dunking on FE6 is always amusing to me (and FE7 doing well in these polls isn't that big of a surprise, Lyn is very popular in Japan as well even though FE6 sold more copies)).
I find it funny that it apparently took IS until the FEH polls to realize Lyn was popular in Japan. I remember promo stuff that featured all the lords would just have Roy as the Elibe rep, and now we get the FE7 lords too.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everything I read about Genealogy sounds so good, I really want to play it.

Please remake.

Sep 14, 2018
Thracia was robbed! ROBBED! But it's not surprising, it didn't sell well. If all sales were equal, it might have been up there. A Tellius game would have been up there too if those games had sold well, though I don't actually care for Tellius as much as most people. I'm happy to see FE3 on the list, but that probably has something to do with it having sold well.

Not that it matter, but I do love ranking things, so here are my rankings. Don't look at the letters of the tier list and think of those as a grade for the games. Sacred Stones is in my C tier, but I wouldn't give it a C. The tiers are just meant to represent that games in a tier are close in how much I like them, but there's a gap (sometimes big and sometimes small) between tiers.

S tier:
1. Genealogy of the Holy War
2. Thracia 776
Both of these games are masterpieces. I absolutely adore them. Play them blind if you can, it's okay to miss things, you're going to be fine.

A tier:
3. Shadow Dragon (Fight me irl, except not really.)
4. The Blazing Blade
5. The Binding Blade

B tier:
6. Mystery of the Emblem
7. Radiant Dawn

C tier:
8. Sacred Stones
9. Path of Radiance
10. Awakening

D tier:
11. Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (This is 90% because the music is amazing.)

E tier:
12. Conquest (People say the gameplay is great, but it still has pair ups and I don't like that mechanic. There are some good maps, but they get much worse in the last third of the game. Of course the story is horrible.)
13. Gaiden
14. Shadows of Valentia (This should probably be above Gaiden. I'm not a big fan of either game, but Gaiden has a charm to it that Shadows of Valentia lacks. But also I prefer Mother 1 to Mother 2, so why are you even reading this? Don't listen to me.)
15. Birthright (To be fair, this game probably should go higher, or maybe it should go lower. The thing is, I don't remember anything about it. It's the only Fire Emblem game I can say that about.)

F tier:
16. New Mystery of the Emblem
17. Three Houses (I'm not trying to be a contrarian here. I didn't like it and I had to play it four times because I won't let Fire Emblem stone will go unturned.)
18. Revelation (Fun fact, there's no s at the end of Revelation. I'm not trying to make a joke or sound pretentious, I legitimately think that of the five people that read this, three of them might go Google the name of the game and be like, "Oh you're right. Neat."

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Given that it was the FE that first introduced a love/child mechanic, none of that is really surprising.

I take this poll as a huge victory lap tbh, genealogy being the most popular in this poll and the two games that were most heavily inspired by it being second and third in popularity is just yesssss to me.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Genealogy of the Holy War is one of the FE games I haven't played, an hypothetical remake would be D1.
Totally disagree with the ranking, I have a soft spot for the 3ds FE, but no way you can do such ranking including mystery of the Emblem and not the Tellius games.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I find it funny that it apparently took IS until the FEH polls to realize Lyn was popular in Japan. I remember promo stuff that featured all the lords would just have Roy as the Elibe rep, and now we get the FE7 lords too.

I wouldn't say that's true at all.

Lyn had promo art in FEHeroes (she was on the opening splash screen) and was one of the premier launch units getting her own banner along with Lucina/Tiki/ and I think Marth. Lyn also ranked really high on an old famitsu poll, so I don't think Int Sys was shocked at all.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
personally id love a binding blade/ blazing blade remake next. roy is still not in a game in the west despite being a known character. also lilina is best waifu.

I'd be behind this if only because Roy is a terrible Lord class. A remake could actually change him from being one of the worst in the franchise.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Genealogy of the Holy War is one of the FE games I haven't played, an hypothetical remake would be D1.
Totally disagree with the ranking, I have a soft spot for the 3ds FE, but no way you can do such ranking including mystery of the Emblem and not the Tellius games.
It's not really that surpising though, the Tellius games sold like shit in Japan.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I take this poll as a huge victory lap tbh, genealogy being the most popular in this poll and the two games that were most heavily inspired by it being second and third in popularity is just yesssss to me.
I really do admire that common thread in the top three. Just a chef's kiss for the way it turned out.

May 18, 2018
I wouldn't say that's true at all.

Lyn had promo art in FEHeroes (she was on the opening splash screen) and was one of the premier launch units getting her own banner along with Lucina/Tiki/ and I think Marth. Lyn also ranked really high on an old famitsu poll, so I don't think Int Sys was shocked at all.
Actually I think there was an interview with the Developers talking about the CYL poll.
They said Ike was popular in the West and Lucina was popular in Japan. But Lyn was overall very popular at both countries. Surprising them.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really that surpising though, the Tellius games sold like shit in Japan.

PoR is a painfully slow game and tbh rather ugly for the time. Tbh, it's actually one of the reason I would love a remake of that game over the GBA games is that, both could be easily fixed in remake.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
If this was a western survey:

5) RD
4) PoR
3) Blazing Blade
2) Awakening
1) Three Houses

Could probably change RD for a Fates game, I guess.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
If this was a western survey:

5) RD
4) PoR
3) Blazing Blade
2) Awakening
1) Three Houses

Could probably change RD for a Fates game, I guess.
I personally hate Radiant Dawn, but I'm not sure I'd put Fates ahead of it.

Probably Shadows of Valentia.

Oct 27, 2017
Blazing Sword remains my absolute favorite as the perfect melding of story/map design/gameplay, but this is a good top 5.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Well, one of my top five FEs made the list.

PoR is a painfully slow game and tbh rather ugly for the time. Tbh, it's actually one of the reason I would love a remaake of that game over the GBA games is that, could be easily fixed in remake.

I agree with this. POR can be dramatically improved with just a few QOL enhancements (chiefly the option to skip even map animations and enemy phases) and a fresh coat of paint. The GBA games can use a different set of QOL enhancements, but updating their graphics is a more mixed proposition. Despite their somewhat bland art, I think they still look better and more consistent than the 3D games.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Fates: Conquest should be #1 just for the gameplay. But I'm someone who doesn't care about the story or character in FE.

Agreed.

Surprised Mystery of the Emblem made it here at all, though I suppose for a lot of Japanese players it's kind of like their Blazing Sword in that it's the one a lot of people started with.

Also, more people need to play Shadows of Valentia! I'd personally swap it with any of these except Blazing Sword and Three Houses.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed.

Surprised Mystery of the Emblem made it here at all, though I suppose for a lot of Japanese players it's kind of like their Blazing Sword in that it's the one a lot of people started with.

Also, more people need to play Shadows of Valentia! I'd personally swap it with any of these except Blazing Sword and Three Houses.
Japanese fans still have a lot of fondness for Marth and his games, even if we always dunk on him for constantly missing out in the Heroes CYL polls.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I don't mind their list that much, although Mystery of the Emblem over Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn seems insane to me.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Japanese fans still have a lot of fondness for Marth and his games, even if we always dunk on him for constantly missing out in the Heroes CYL polls.

The entires series is pretty self referential and pretty much every archetype in the series came from it. It's also a pretty charming game ngl.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Actually I think there was an interview with the Developers talking about the CYL poll.
They said Ike was popular in the West and Lucina was popular in Japan. But Lyn was overall very popular at both countries. Surprising them.

I don't see the contradiction here tbh. They knew she was popular (hence her being a focus launch unit), they didn't realize that she would be even more popular than Lucina.

Btw, found the results of the old famitus poll.

It's on sf (but no direct linking cuz of scans) but the popularity went Ike > Marth > Lucina > Lyn > Robin.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
3H at #2 feels acceptable to me - I think it was a huge improvement over Fates (and I'd argue Awakening) on every level. Looking forward to the inevitable Genealogy remake.

Kinda surprised to see Blazing Blade so high - I'd figured that the heavy nostalgia for that was a Western thing, being the first game we got over here.

Edit: To address the other discussion, 3H definitely had some otaku bait stuff, but it was so much better about how it handled its female cast on every level (plot relevance, characterization, character design) that I really have no issue saying that it's unfair to call it one of the waifu-centric FEs. Compared to Awakening and Fates, it's not even close. Honestly the only real serious down part is F!Byleth's outfit and I guess Cronya, who's in all of 1 chapter.

May 18, 2018
I don't see the contradiction here tbh. They knew she was popular (hence her being a focus launch unit), they didn't realize that she would be even more popular than Lucina.

Btw, found the results of the old famitus poll.

It's on sf (but no direct linking cuz of scans) but the popularity went Ike > Marth > Lucina > Lyn > Robin.
Ah ok, nvm then.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind their list that much, although Mystery of the Emblem over Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn seems insane to me.
Mystery of the Emblem is to Japan like FE7 is in the west, while the Radiant duology sold terribly there.
I wouldn't be surprised that many japanese FE fans haven't played those two.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think the only reason we don't have genealogy alts in FEH is because they are saving it for the remake
Tho julia has 2 alts so I dunno what to think anymore.