• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
So they DO believe in generations and letting go of the the past after all - people should be happy ;)

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Tbh as much as problematic that it was, the PS3 felt like the last unique playstation, Ken Kutaragi did build a great but mysterious hardware that took years to be understood. The PS4 and PS5 are more pc like and easy to develop on but they lack the uniqueness of the Kutaragi playstations.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Microsoft can do it. Why can't Sony.

Tbh as much as problematic that it was, the PS3 felt like the last unique playstation, Ken Kutaragi did build a great but mysterious hardware that took years to be understood. The PS4 and PS5 are more pc like and easy to develop on but they lack the uniqueness of the Kutaragi playstations.
Yes, the "custom built to be coded to the metal" hardware days of consoles are over.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm fine with there being no PS3 emulation and at this point I wouldn't mind Sony selling the emulators for PS1 and PS2 on their store. The games might not be the prettiest to go back to, but people don't mind reliving those moments and experiences from the past on a modern day console.

I almost wish we had crazy Ken back to create the ultimate PS5.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to forgive no PS3.

There is no excuse for not supporting PS1/2. They have the documentation for those systems, the PS5 is easily powerful to emulate them a hundred times over.

I don't know how Sony can look at the years of legacy titles they have, and decide to throw them out the window. Fuck this.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why Sony did this the last two generations. I know the OG PS3 cost a tonne to make and they wanted to shed cost. Fine, but the amount of work it would take to make an emulator or just license an already existing emulator can not be too difficult. People will buy these games and may even pay a premium to do so. I don't understand why they are to averse to BC. Did having the PS2 games for PS4 cost more than the money they brought in?

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
This was expected. Wish I could get some old titles somehow on there, but I've played through the essentials over the generations. I'm happy I can trade my PS4 in towards the PS5 at least.

Nov 2, 2018
ps5-play-has-no-limit7yj9d.jpg

This is amazing. Can ERA please get #PlayHasLimits trending?

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
PS3 is honestly understandable and I just expect that to never happen as long as we live due to the weirdness of that console.

PS2 I can somewhat see even.

But PS1? Come on now, I can't imagine it's that hard to implement software emulation for it, hell you guys made the PS1 classic, for as botched that thing was you still had the basis for it, just toss that code into the PS5 somewhere...

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Other than MGS4, what else is stranded on PS3 at this point?
GoW collection
GoW origins
GoW Ascension
I still can't believe all the older GoW games, minus GoW3, are stranded on the PS3. I have to assume the old games are still valuable IP, especially with the resurgence of the brand on PS4 and PS5.

Imagine hopping into the series now and learning there are several older games that tell earlier stories of Kratos. You buy GoW3 off the PS Store, but then end up confused by the story since it picks up directly after GoW2. You want to play the earlier games to lead you into the story of GoW3, but you can't without jumping through hoops. It's pretty crazy to me that this is a hypothetical scenario now with a first-party IP as big as GoW, and with how many remasters were made for PS4.

If Sony doesn't make some kind of GoW collection again for PS5, I'll remain absolutely flummoxed by their neglect of bringing accessibility to this IP forward.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The way Sony is focusing on only wanting hardware BC is a bit weird. Why can't they implement a software solution for PS1/2 BC?

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Pathetic from Sony. Not that I needed BC, but to not even have it as an option just makes them look worse and worse. I have no reason now to get a PS5 at launch.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Sad it's not even through emulation. It's a win for collector's and purists though.

Nov 28, 2017
"PlayStation 4 has 110M+ players, so we had to emulate that."

"PlayStation has 105M+ players, PlayStation 2 has 160M+ players and PlayStation 3 has 87M+ players, so we chose to ignore that."

Makes complete sense. Seems legit.

This guy is a walking PR disaster. SONY's Don Mattrick in disguise, and as soon as SONY change their leadership (not necessarily bring back Layden but it "CAN" help, but Yosp is a good choice), they'll be in a safer place in the industry. This is NOT only about back compat, but just imagine if he has this kind of approach to a feature that rakes in HUGE positive PR from journos and online communities (though the tiniest of vocal minority, they carry a word of mouth for consumer), what his vision must be for the brand. Especially at the starting period of a generation.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 is honestly understandable and I just expect that to never happen as long as we live due to the weirdness of that console.

I mean... Open-source coders on PC are doing this. In a cave. With a box of scraps.

Sony have full docs and specs of the thing. They should do it too. But they won't because they know they can just sell em again piecemeal. Like Nintendo does.

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda nuts that Sony is pushing Ratchet and Clank with no way to play those old games beyond the reboot on PS4/PS5 (Excluding maybe PS Now, but who the heck wants to stream those games?)

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing of course.

I don't like the way he answers it after PS4 being the priority thought of BC. Simple, no extra BS, OK.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Did having the PS2 games for PS4 cost more than the money they brought in?

It didn't help that it always felt like they gave up on that initiative before it even began. So much hype and rumors over it, then they dumped it on a blogpost the night before an event and barely released any first party titles after the first few months.

I'd love to see sales numbers. I have to assume the GTA3 games brought in plenty of profit.

If Sony doesn't make some kind of GoW collection again for PS5, I'll remain absolutely flummoxed by their neglect of bringing accessibility to this IP forward.

GoW is a big one, but I almost think the Ratchet series being stranded is an even bigger concern, especially with Rift Apart building on several of the PS3 titles. It's amazing that the only Ratchet games available on the PS4/5 ecosystem are the new one and the remake of R&C1.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A PlayStation with full library access would be a juggernaut. I would love if Xbox dropped and started significantly outselling PlayStation, so that Sony would be willing to reconsider this stance. If PS4 would have had that option, I might never have built a PC. I'd have bought a PS5 on day one if they'd just do it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Expected but disappointed. I mean, christ, all evidence points to the PS4 even having a PSP emulator, for cryin' out loud (PaRappa and LocoRoco use it, I believe?). YOU ALREADY HAVE THE EMULATORS.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
They probably don't want people playing the games they already bought in years past so they can instead spend money on new ones.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
What's the point of old games just buy new games so Sony can make more money lol

I mean, that logically does check out but is still kind of infuriating. Those PS3 consoles aren't gonna be around forever, and many of the games were never ported to newer platforms or pc.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I'm willing to forgive no PS3.

There is no excuse for not supporting PS1/2. They have the documentation for those systems, the PS5 is easily powerful to emulate them a hundred times over.

I don't know how Sony can look at the years of legacy titles they have, and decide to throw them out the window. Fuck this.

Oh, it can definitely emulate them. They aren't throwing them out the window.

You will just need to re-buy them on PSN to play them with PS5 capability. Oh you previously bought them on the PS3/PSP/VITA shop? Well, we don't support that framework anymore, its all new on PS5. Sorry!

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised and I doubt we'll ever have PS1/2/3 BC with any future PlayStation console. Traded in most of my PS2 and PS3 games a while back and I'll be offloading the remainder soon.

If they were to port the MGS HD Collection and MGS4 then that'll be the final nail in the coffin.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
It's funny that I'll sell my PS4 but will still keep my PS3.
No joke. There are enough really good games that are locked on the PS3 that I either haven't played, or want to replay, that I'm not giving that system up until it dies. And even then, I'd likely look into getting it repaired or buying a new one off eBay. I even have some PS1 games on there that I still want to play (I guess I could emulate if I wanted to, but I prefer playing on my TV from my couch).

In fact, if the PS5 didn't have PS4 BC, I wouldn't even be buying one anytime soon. I don't have enough space in my entertainment center and the PS3 isn't going anywhere.