Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
What, I...what?!

I have a quest to retrieve an item from the Whitesprings Resort, and I kept getting thrashed. There are plenty of ghouls that I can handle; level 15-20ish, but then this Level 60 asshole jumps out and tears me a new one. What the everlasting fuck?

Also, any tips for making bank on caps? I feel like I'm always scraping by.

Whitespring is not a place I'd go to unless you have a PA set tbh. That place is wild.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Bought this yesterday on PS4 as I want to give it a genuine shot....asking my question here because I dont want to wade through the review thread, etc.

Basically all things aside is the exploration fun? That was the main draw of the game for me so it's what I'm most curious about.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bought this yesterday on PS4 as I want to give it a genuine shot....asking my question here because I dont want to wade through the review thread, etc.

Basically all things aside is the exploration fun? That was the main draw of the game for me so it's what I'm most curious about.
Personally I find the exploration incredibly boring. The goal of it is to just collect as much junk as possible and haul it back for crafting. But others(Certainly not reviewers) disagree.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere

I think it's fun. There's a lot of really cool locations to discover and (personally) I like that there are "hints" as to where on the map those locations are.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
What, I...what?!

I have a quest to retrieve an item from the Whitesprings Resort, and I kept getting thrashed. There are plenty of ghouls that I can handle; level 15-20ish, but then this Level 60 asshole jumps out and tears me a new one. What the everlasting fuck?

Also, any tips for making bank on caps? I feel like I'm always scraping by.

Fastest way to sell caps to me is selling off excess meds. Even with how crappy traders are at giving you any money, lot of meds are worth decent money. I don't use tons of the stuff to avoid addiction, so all those menstats, pyschos, etc can quickly add up to lot of caps.

Don't waste time with the Hard Bargain perk card, it's a huge waste of perk choice, I've got a maxed out version of it and still get jack for my trades, it feels like its broken or something.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Whitespring is not a place I'd go to unless you have a PA set tbh. That place is wild.
Well, now I know first-hand! Thanks for the advice.

Fastest way to sell caps to me is selling off excess meds. Even with how crappy traders are at giving you any money, lot of meds are worth decent money. I don't use tons of the stuff to avoid addiction, so all those menstats, pyschos, etc can quickly add up to lot of caps.

Don't waste time with the Hard Bargain perk card, it's a huge waste of perk choice, I've got a maxed out version of it and still get jack for my trades, it feels like its broken or something.
I'll definitely take that into consideration. Thank you!

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
The varying enemy levels is probably the thing that's hurting my enjoyment of the game the most. Going to an area and fighting level 9 ghouls then going back later and running into level 66 ghouls is really frustrating.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
The varying enemy levels is probably the thing that's hurting my enjoyment of the game the most. Going to an area and fighting level 9 ghouls then going back later and running into level 66 ghouls is really frustrating.

Levels are also weirdly meaningless. I took on a camp of 4 38-40 level supermutants at around 20.

A level 21 deathclaw destroyed my ass at level 22 tho.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Isn't it crazy how most games will at least try to mix up their minigames between sequels.

How long has Fallout had this fucking lockpick mechanic

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
One of the reasons I like shotguns for primary is the Enforcer perk making limb crippling basically instant. A lot of the more dangerous enemies in the game are very melee-oriented, so you can just start the fight with a blast to the leg, shoot the other leg while they are staggered from that, and they can no longer fight effectively. Things like Deathclaws and Hermit Crabs are especially vulnerable, as are all forms of robots due to their reduced limb health (their limbs actually come off so you can choose which element of their skill set you want to remove).

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Just fought a Wendigo for the first time, had no idea what it was but it was fucking me up big time. Thank god I have the perk that just feeds me stimpacks because I would've been dead a few times. Was about 9 levels higher than me and I had no idea how to kill it until I got higher ground and "cheesed" it.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Just fought a Wendigo for the first time, had no idea what it was but it was fucking me up big time. Thank god I have the perk that just feeds me stimpacks because I would've been dead a few times. Was about 9 levels higher than me and I had no idea how to kill it until I got higher ground and "cheesed" it.

It's over Anakin.

OP
OP
Katarn343

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Jesus, there are cazadores in this game. Well, not cazadores, but the Stingwing Skimmers are obviously based on them. Small, black exoskeleton and orange wings, and poisons/blurs vision on each hit. Shit.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to play a Melee character but it feels like the cards are stacked against me. Even taking every melee perk I can constantly eating pot shots from enemies who are a hassle to physically reach and there are so many enemies who punish me for being in melee range with diseases and shit. Has anyone managed to make a pure melee build work yet

Nick C

Oct 25, 2017
MT
Two games. Fallout 3 had a different mechanic.
Fallout 3, New Vegas and 4 had the same lockpicking as 76. BGS' last game with a different mechanic was Oblivion. Even Obsidian used it.
I'm trying to play a Melee character but it feels like the cards are stacked against me. Even taking every melee perk I can constantly eating pot shots from enemies who are a hassle to physically reach and there are so many enemies who punish me for being in melee range with diseases and shit. Has anyone managed to make a pure melee build work yet
Strength, Endurance and Agility are the go-to stats for that. Do running attacks and let your high HP pool and armor tank the incoming damage.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 3, New Vegas and 4 had the same lockpicking as 76. BGS' last game with a different mechanic was Oblivion. Even Obsidian used it.
I guess I must have remembered it the other way around, then. My goof. Anyway, I much prefer the current lock-picking minigame to the pain that was Oblivion's.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it crazy how most games will at least try to mix up their minigames between sequels.

How long has Fallout had this fucking lockpick mechanic

I mean, the lockpicking mechanic isn't exactly a concept that you can innovate on too much lmao. It's one of those things that is fine as is really.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine designing an online game like this, and then creating a lockpick minigame that's incredibly difficult and eats bobby pins for breakfast.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Just got to The Top of the World, out of curiosity...is it supposed to be overrun with Super Mutants that are about 20 levels higher than me?

Got an automatic Handmade and it eats absolutely everything...but damn is it expensive to keep fed. 5.56 is hard to come by so I've got to forge pretty much all of my ammo, I'm constantly running out of lead.

I finally settled down and made a nice camp on a lake right next to Top of the World, a little home away from home :)

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Just got to The Top of the World, out of curiosity...is it supposed to be overrun with Super Mutants that are about 20 levels higher than me?

Got an automatic Handmade and it eats absolutely everything...but damn is it expensive to keep fed. 5.56 is hard to come by so I've got to forge pretty much all of my ammo, I'm constantly running out of lead.

I finally settled down and made a nice camp on a lake right next to Top of the World, a little home away from home :)
It was one of my first introductions to what appears to be a truly higher-level zone. I even backed away from completing Rose's quest for a bit because getting one of the parts needed meant getting past a Level 30 sentrybot armed with an assault weapon. I was not nearly ready for that the last time I tried.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Levels are also weirdly meaningless. I took on a camp of 4 38-40 level supermutants at around 20.

A level 21 deathclaw destroyed my ass at level 22 tho.

Levels feel more damage oriented. I could melt a lvl 59 supermutant with a few shots no problem, but the damage output they put out was nuts. It almost feels like like they apply the lvl number based on their weapon/damage potential and not exactly a true level.

High level scorched always seem to such and easy to kill no matter how high

It was one of my first introductions to what appears to be a truly higher-level zone. I even backed away from completing Rose's quest for a bit because getting one of the parts needed meant getting past a Level 30 sentrybot armed with an assault weapon. I was not nearly ready for that the last time I tried.

This is one of those oddly designed areas, they give you an early game quest to go to the top of the world, the bottom of the top of the world by the elevator is covered in bad ass rad scorpions. First time I went it had 2 lvl 46 rads, and a elite one as well in its 50's. Everything in the area is around lvl 20, but these are basically blocking the elevator for me? The scorpions aren't always there depending on other players or if the ai thought each other, but its random encounters like that which are weird in this

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Ahhh, good to know. I feel like I've gotta spend about 150 rounds just to clear out and make way through the village before the top of the world, I wouldn't mind so much if it was Scorched, but damn to Super Mutants take a licking and keep on ticking.

Still looking for a handmade rifle plan so I can craft some better parts.

Nick C

Oct 25, 2017
MT

Most places seem to rotate between enemy factions, but I think the Super Mutants hold the lodges near there most of the time.

Ammo economy wasn't really my biggest issue with the handmade. Those things weigh more than my minigun.

On a side note, don't worry about all of the ammo types right now. I'm giving friends 5-600 5.56 at a time now. My biggest tip to newer players that feel like they're not doing a lot of damage is to make sure that you're updating all of your weapons when you hit the level milestones. Pipe revolvers can hit like a truck as long as you carry the highest leveled one available to you..38 and .45 ammo are all over the place too.

I carried a pipe revolver, hunting rifle with a scope and a pump-action shotgun around with me. Every other weapon got scrapped until I was ~45-50. By the time I was getting the guns that I wanted I had a ton of mods to build for them.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Most places seem to rotate between enemy factions, but I think the Super Mutants hold the lodges near there most of the time.

Ammo economy wasn't really my biggest issue with the handmade. Those things weigh more than my minigun.

On a side note, don't worry about all of the ammo types right now. I'm giving friends 5-600 5.56 at a time now. My biggest tip to newer players that feel like they're not doing a lot of damage is to make sure that you're updating all of your weapons when you hit the level milestones. Pipe revolvers can hit like a truck as long as you carry the highest leveled one available to you..38 and .45 ammo are all over the place too.

I carried a pipe revolver, hunting rifle with a scope and a pump-action shotgun around with me. Every other weapon got scrapped until I was ~45-50. By the time I was getting the guns that I wanted I had a ton of mods to build for them.
14 pounds is heavy...but it's worth every pound for the damage it puts out. I shred through even high level enemies like a hot knife through butter.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I had a generator, some workbenches and crops built at my CAMP. Spent an hour or two away from it, and then got stuck in an infinite loading screen. Had to Alt-Tab out and kill the game. I restart the game, and on the map my CAMP is gone. When I re-place the CAMP, the shack with my stash box and a turret on the roof is stored in the CAMP, but nothing else. Why? Did someone destroy that stuff? Now I have to go find stupid gears and aluminum just to rebuild them and inventory management already takes up a ridiculous amount of time in this game. Plus the food I would've gotten from my crops is gone.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe people will disagree but building camps would be way more fun if I didn't have to worry about it being constantly attacked.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe people will disagree but building camps would be way more fun if I didn't have to worry about it being constantly attacked.
My camp is currently in hostile territory with frequent Scorched spawns, but I've fortunately got plenty of defense for the time being. It's funny what some fencing and about six turrets will do.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Is it really an issue? I put my camp on the edge of a cliff and surrounded it with turrets. If I ever get attacked it's over quick.

I built my camp in the middle of a farm and I get attacked from all angles and my turrets can't keep them all away. It's so annoying.

And yes:

The attacks I'd worry less about. The fact that your progress is almost gone when you log out and the tiny area you can build in, however....

This is also pretty bad!

For me, the camp should be a relaxing area but instead it gives me anxiety when I have to protect it. I'd rather just not deal with that.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
My camp hasn't been attacked yet, if it does then I am fucked cuz I don't think I have enough turrets at good spots. How do you get to level 2 homestead to be able to build heavy turrets?

Is it me or are the radscorps way harder on this Fallout.
Would not be surprised. I remember Deathclaw were easy to kill in 3 then they got super hard in NV and even harder with all the different types in 4. I'm just screwed with anything that gets up close which is why the Wendigo just brutalized me today.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

I wish my camp got attacked more really, it seems like it never gets attacked or damaged. If you got a fence around it and a single turret it pretty much seems to be pretty safe.

I wish there was more of a meta game to the camps, protecting them and such. Camps just feel so half assed in how they were implemented in this.

zorbsie

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Order of Mysteries mission. Loved it so much. From the first discovery I knew this was a special mission.

How are the Rose missions? I'm doing the stinger gun missions and I'm not really feeling it. Maybe I'll come back to them.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
I wish my camp got attacked more really, it seems like it never gets attacked or damaged. If you got a fence around it and a single turret it pretty much seems to be pretty safe.

I wish there was more of a meta game to the camps, protecting them and such. Camps just feel so half assed in how they were implemented in this.
I wish I had your luck. My camp seems to get attacked even when I'm not there. Each time I load in, half the fences are broken, and I got tired of having to repair all of my turrets everyday, so I just got rid of them. And when I load in, I'm being attacked by enemies on both sides. And because I can't choose a fast travel target, the game puts me in a river. (Just moved camp because of that, though.)

Even when I put my camp in an area that seems to have no enemies, they will show up as soon I build something and each time I travel there. So, I've been using workshops as my base because they get attacked way less and with way weaker enemies, and I'm just using the camp as a fast travel point.

I really would like to build something really nice, but it's not fun to constantly repair it and deal with waves of enemies. I've gotten to try out a lot of different layouts and such from building on workshops, though, so that's nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.