• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Papilloma

Oct 27, 2017
When Valve releases Half Life 3, do you expect Valve to put it on all the other digital storefronts, or would you expect to see in on Steam alone? Given that it was Half Life 2 that REQUIRED Steam to be able to play it, I think I know the answer.

How is this different from what Bethesda is doing with their game?

I've been gaming on PC for at least 25 years, and I think that Steam is a really impressive service, but I don't expect all publishers to have to release their software there. Maybe if less publishers choose Steam to release, Valve might actually make Half Life 3 to entice customers back?!

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Its just that history showed, that no competitor can even offer a better service than Valve right now. We have Origin and uPlay for some years now and they just dont really care much.

That is exactly right. This is the biggest issue with these companies pulling their games from Steam and creating their own services. They don't actually care about providing a better service, investing more in the platform and offering more to the consumer. The only thing they care about is collecting 100% of the money customers pay. This is why their clients and services are so barebones and offer the minimum of functionality. They don't care.

Before someone replies with a snarky "I'm sure Valve cares a lot about you as a person and not for profits, surejan.gif", it's not about feelings but about market realities. Valve is all in on PC gaming. The platform is its sole moneymaker and they have a vested interest in improving it and growing it. For companies like EA and Bethesda PC gaming is not their main business and because of that fact they have no incentive to invest in it beyond the bare minimum of effort and money.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
It really is quite telling that to this day, none of the publisher centric clients have moved beyond the bare minimum of reliability or providing any benefits to customers from not having to give a 30% to a distributor. Yes it is perfectly fine for any dev / pub to create their own distribution / client system, but when they are so poor that they barely even function - and the only purpose is as a non-competitive system with no interest in actually supporting the services well - then no, it is not worth investing in such a service, even when that means missing any great game (especially when there is no recourse).

Funniest of all are so many in this thread purely here to shit on Valve and platform war with any excuse they have to let that out - in this case their "monstrosity" of a 30% cut (despite being one of the few distributors that get 0% for key generation, retail / third party sales). Lets not forget that other services (particularly consoles) still charge fees beyond 30% including additional royalty fees, service charges per feature, ad space etc etc

Steam simply put is in a league of its own, actually actively supporting the PC Gaming ecosystem and consistently evolving its service to be more supportive, whether to customers or devs. It has years of reliability behind it and has even got around its support issues, which were a consist black mark. Even with the many issues I have with it, these are all so minor by comparison to other services, and that list is ever shrinking.

"...But no half life 3 that I know of so fuck em"

Doesn't matter how much I enjoyed playing Doom 1, if they do this, I'll skip it.
And I really hope more people will do this, I don't want to have 10-20 launchers on my pc ...

I agree, but I wouldn't be too worried about multiple launchers, just simply incredibly poor ones with bare minimum features, poor support, reliability and absolutely no evidence of actually having a long term outlook for support the service and customers on PC.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
When Valve releases Half Life 3, do you expect Valve to put it on all the other digital storefronts, or would you expect to see in on Steam alone? Given that it was Half Life 2 that REQUIRED Steam to be able to play it, I think I know the answer.

How is this different from what Bethesda is doing with their game?

I've been gaming on PC for at least 25 years, and I think that Steam is a really impressive service, but I don't expect all publishers to have to release their software there. Maybe if less publishers choose Steam to release, Valve might actually make Half Life 3 to entice customers back?!

At last Valve is releasing exclusive games on the client people want to use. Back when people hated Steam, Valve had to go trough the same backlash. But they improved Steam, and are still improving it.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That is exactly right. This is the biggest issue with these companies pulling their games from Steam and creating their own services. They don't actually care about providing a better service, investing more in the platform and offering more to the consumer. The only thing they care about is collecting 100% of the money customers pay. This is why their clients and services are so barebones and offer the minimum of functionality. They don't care.

Before someone replies with a snarky "I'm sure Valve cares a lot about you as a person and not for profits, surejan.gif", it's not about feelings but about market realities. Valve is all in on PC gaming. The platform is its sole moneymaker and they have a vested interest in improving it and growing it. For companies like EA and Bethesda PC gaming is not their main business and because of that fact they have no incentive to invest in it beyond the bare minimum of effort and money.

You are mostly correct here.
I just don't think it makes sense for EA/Ubi/Beth to build and iterate on these massive social platforms like steam or discord to support a small handful of their games when everyone is already so ingrained in those other platforms.

Do people even really want that?

In terms of social features though, I'd much prefer having a curated list of Friends through steam than to worry about having friends lists and social features through multiple services based on which game I buy. Even when I buy my games through these publishers I typically launch them through steam anyways. As long as Steam is the go-to for this thing I think most of my freinds will follow suit.

Well ultimately I'd prefer everything to go through steam, I also understand why these big publishers would rather just sell these games directly to consumers. It's not overly difficult to create a launcher and market a game if you are a massive publisher like EA/Ubi/Beth.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck is having a game locked onto one store, competition?

Jesus wept.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
It was mentioned earlier in this thread that Rage 2 and their next Wolfenstein will be on Steam at launch date, so this is Bethesda being Bethesda with every other online game they have released up to this point. I still expect Fallout 76 to hit Steam when sales start to decline.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
competition LMAOOOOOOOO

Fallout 76 isn't on Steam because it'd be too easy to get your refund there.
All you chuckleheads with your ignorant 'competition' logic got bamboozled and should probably just stay out of PC threads

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
competition LMAOOOOOOOO

Fallout 76 isn't on Steam because it'd be too easy to get your refund there.
All you chuckleheads with your ignorant 'competition' logic got bamboozled and should probably just stay out of PC threads

I mean, yeahbutno

https://www.resetera.com/threads/refunds-available-for-fallout-76-pc-bethesda-launcher.82628/

Though I do see Bethesda clamping down on refund requests in the not too distant future, so having a consistent policy like Steam is useful in the long-run, right now it's not a problem.