• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
I've already maxed out to level 40 and won quite a few crowns and now just kind of playing a few rounds here and there and I always have ample amount of Kudos for anything that's in the store. You can purchase Kudos with real currency but there's really no need. I really hope they keep the balance where it is and keep the real grind for the Crowns (which can't be bought). There's going to be a time where they'll need to rely on these microtransactions to keep the books up but I hope it doesn't become too ridiculous. I don't mind special costume packs here and there but it's interesting to see what this game will offer down the line considering it's massive success. What's your thoughts? Is this just the honeymoon period before the real items come in and require obscene amounts of Kudos/Crowns?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I'd honestly prefer real money packs over anything else even if the packs are like 2-5 dollars.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really hope they don't make Crowns purchasable. They probably will eventually to make more money but right now it's a big incentive to get better and win games.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I suspect it will largely stay unchanged.

It's possible maybe one day we will see crowns become for sale, but more likely is to see epic tier single or 2 crown items have an alternative payment option of 20k+ kudos or something so they can never sell crowns but offer some higher tier items for kudos.

It's more likely they will have more dlc packs, maybe one a season for $5 like we saw with the fastfood dlc pack you can currently buy. This will probably be franchise licensing as well like the stuff in rocket league.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I wish you could convert kudos to crowns since the best cosmetics are obviously behind crowns but otherwise it's pretty generous.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Crown skins should just be rotated into Kudos eventually, like Destiny rotates silver stuff into buyable for bright dust after a while.

I was gutted I couldn't get the EtG skin :(

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
c81.gif

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
crowns are perfect, having cosmetics for winners is awesome.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of waiting for them to realize that and reduce the rate at which we earn the purple currency and/or make crowns purchasable.

Right now there's basically no point in the purple currency being purchasable.

I also really like how crowns work right now. In Fortnite and other games like that, it doesn't feel even remotely rewarding to win.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I think they should offer more Crowns as rewards when level up but keep them from being purchasable. That's the real prize that keeps people playing.
Making them purchasable gives the option to people who may not win a lot. on Steam, only 23% of the players had a single win. At 7 wins was less than 3%. It makes them out of reach for majority of the player base. They can keep paid skin packs, but this will allow people to get those skins if they can't win still. But free players will just need to win to get em.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
My only problem is getting 1 crown per win. Unfortunately the team games being there take the game out of your hands a lot so I think 2-3 crowns per win is a better route to go.

Nov 21, 2019
I just wish they have a permanent crown store. One win per crown would be actually pretty okay if all the crown-exclusive items are there for good so you can buy them any time.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Yes, it's the best monetization system of this whole generation.
I was kinda shitting on them to have dlcs at the release of the game but when I looked at it personally, I was so happy how they did it here.

The in-game shop with time limited and daily changing items is only usable with Kudos or Crowns both which you can get in game for playing, and not too little actually. If you get to the final round you get around 500, winning gives 1100-1300 right now, even only reaching round 2 gives you 100+. You grind them up so fast that you never have to buy them with real money. Also the battle pass is completely free, no paid version!

The only paid only items that they have, are actually real classic DLC packs with a decent price and no artificially limited nonsense. I love this. This is the dlc I like to support. Actually buyable with a good price and not time limited.
Reminds of Friday the 13th, I loved supporting them with their skin releases.

So, huge respect for this monetization system.

I love the idea that you get something for actually winning and I hope they never change that.
But, maybe a daily/weekly challenge system for crowns for people who really suck at this game is something I would be ok with.

Oct 27, 2017
I think locking cosmetics with crowns is a bad move, financially I mean. If I don't win regularly I wouldn't feel like spending money on the game/keep playing to get that skin.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
I've been selective with the stuff I've bought but I've got 45 crowns in my inventory right now. I think I've probably spent around 20.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I guess this is an unpopular opinion but I'm glad some stuff is locked behind crowns, not everything needs to be a participation award. Wouldn't even mind if they take it a step further and don't award 2 crows through progression during season 2.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot people asking for crowns to be purchaseable, so apparently it's not generous enough for many people. For me at least, I like that crowns (and by extension, crown-locked costumes) are special.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I've played the game 7 times and won 4 times. I'm now scared to play again because I don't want to lose that ratio. Haha.

OP
OP
Kaiken

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Making them purchasable gives the option to people who may not win a lot. on Steam, only 23% of the players had a single win. At 7 wins was less than 3%. It makes them out of reach for majority of the player base. They can keep paid skin packs, but this will allow people to get those skins if they can't win still. But free players will just need to win to get em.
I do like the mentioned suggestion to spend Kudos for Crowns. That's a great alternative that keeps people playing the core game.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
the game just came out. I dont think they need any ideas on how to milk the player base.

Its best if they remain generous for those who put the time in. I'd rather do that than have everything locked away with real money being a part of it.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I was ready to drop money for Portal skins, but then realized its in crowns. I'm never getting that costume.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter V had very generous in-game currency. Still does compared to every other fighting game, in that you can unlock characters and stages without spending real money if you have enough.

But you wouldn't know that from the way people complained about it over the years for whatever reason.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm consistently getting to the finals but still working out the best method to win and failing

I'll get some crown currency eventually

In the meantime I like that you get some for your level progress per season so it's not totally exclusive

Comfortable with it staying that way

and agree - more Kudos than I know what to do with

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
I think when it comes to big collaboration costumes in the future it will be obtainable with crowns or the option to just buy the costume outright.

Squirt

Oct 28, 2017
kinda odd how generous it is. i wonder if that was a bit of miscalculation on their part? there's literally no reason to spend money on this game after the initial purchase...which is fantastic! curious to see if they adjust prices/kudos later on. i hate crowns. i have 4 after about 20hrs played lol

May 19, 2020
I have maybe like 4 or 5 wins and only 2 crowns to rub together after some purchases, i'd love to win again at some point

H3llR8iser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they can do something like rewards you a Crown if you been to the final round 20 or more? times.....

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Street Fighter V had very generous in-game currency. Still does compared to every other fighting game, in that you can unlock characters and stages without spending real money if you have enough.

But you wouldn't know that from the way people complained about it over the years for whatever reason.
They did until they nerfed that system. If they kept it as originally intended then it would have been better to keep unlocking things.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I like that there are prestige items that you can only get by winning. I want people to know that I'm a winner and that they are losers.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very satisfied with the current system and I'm glad crowns are only given from wins or as level up prizes here and there on the battle pass

It really makes you feel like you earned the crown skins

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Yeah, the current system is fantastic and I hope they stick with it for future seasons. I'll gladly buy some premium skins to support the devs, too.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I'd honestly prefer real money packs over anything else even if the packs are like 2-5 dollars.
What?
You'd rather pay real money for cosmetics then be granted enough fake money by playing the game to get them for free???
Do you just have money you like to waste or do you not enjoy playing games?

Oct 27, 2017
Well, for a game that still has currency that uses real dollars, I guess. There are games that are entirely in-game currency only