OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
All Falcom provided was the name. Faxanadu was developed by Hudson Soft and published in the west by Nintendo.
I'm well aware. That's not entirely relevant, since even Ys IV wasn't made by Falcom either. Names mean a lot. When you bring up Falcom's famous Xanadu series (at least, famous in Japan) everyone ever from the Western gaming sphere who posts replies in a thread about it thinks you're talking about Faxanadu.

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
I'm well aware. That's not entirely relevant, since even Ys IV wasn't made by Falcom either. Names mean a lot. When you bring up Falcom's famous Xanadu series (at least, famous in Japan) everyone ever from the Western gaming sphere who posts replies in a thread about it thinks you're talking about Faxanadu.
Similar to how 10 out of 10 people would think of Falcom when Sora no Kiseki Evolution is brought up.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Falcom game music is still amazing. Loads of great stuff in ToCS and Ys VIII. Don't know how they do it but they've always kept that spirit of "Falcom style" music even when the composers have changed several times over the years and in different games.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Sound Team jdk has changed a lot over the decades, but they've stuck to strong melodies and several strong genres which, though stifling to variety in some cases, makes for consistently fun and engaging music. I just hope they have a third musician on their team now for good now (fourth if you count arranger Mitsuo Singa as a Falcom composer...which he might be) since Hayato Sonoda and Takahiro Unisuga are both starting to sound like the same musician.

Looks like people have to leave Falcom to get worldwide relevance huh?
Well it certainly helps that people know about Falcom much more these days. The people behind their games will now get recognition they only could have dreamed of...in English-speaking parts of the world. Over in East Asia, even Chinese fans have done their own investigations and threads like this simply because the games have more influence and success there. Falcom's own policy with crediting hurts individual recognition everywhere, but that hasn't stopped some people.

I wish DraSle-Labo was still online, and that I had archived the site (immense amount of info, some of it unique) before the owner took his entire Web presence down out-of-the-blue.

Speaking of which: Anyone here ever played through the Asteka games? How are they and were there any noteworthy people who worked on it that then went on to make noteworth titles?
Both Asteka games were Falcom founder Masayuki Kato's pet projects, and most of the Ys I developers had largely worked on Asteka II: Templo del Sol. Masaya Hashimoto definitely worked on Asteka II, for example. The first game was a weird hybrid of command-line adventuring with a lot more ero content than before or after in a Falcom game; the second takes players adventuring to ruins in the Yucatan Peninsula. We actually got a localized NES port of Asteka II from Compile under the name Tombs & Treasures. They're interesting milestones in Falcom's early history, and Asteka II lucked out and got a remake on one of JVC's Falcom Saturn remake collections, but I'm not sure how good or bad they played relative to competing games.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Member with Maschinen Krieger avatar reporting in. Kow Yokoyama is love <3

For Xanadu, beside cover art and promotional images, Kow also did help with concept illustrations and monster designs.

tumblr_nv3oi2YJx31rmp6iqo3_1280.jpg

Also I just found out Makoto Shinkai was former Falcom employee. That's awesome. This studio really recognizes talents :O

I hope recent localization and modernization of Falcom's catalog (god bless XSEED) will get more people playing Falcom games.
Love that sorta old school video game monster design. Strange, alien, yet fantastic and to the point (the artwork itself isn't over-designed, like a lot of the stuff you see nowadays). Reminds me of the monster designs for the first two Legend of Zelda games.

bishopcruz

Oct 25, 2017
Sound Team jdk has changed a lot over the decades, but they've stuck to strong melodies and several strong genres which, though stifling to variety in some cases, makes for consistently fun and engaging music. I just hope they have a third musician on their team now for good now (fourth if you count arranger Mitsuo Singa as a Falcom composer...which he might be) since Hayato Sonoda and Takahiro Unisuga are both starting to sound like the same musician.

Well it certainly helps that people know about Falcom much more these days. The people behind their games will now get recognition they only could have dreamed of...in English-speaking parts of the world. Over in East Asia, even Chinese fans have done their own investigations and threads like this simply because the games have more influence and success there. Falcom's own policy with crediting hurts individual recognition everywhere, but that hasn't stopped some people.

I wish DraSle-Labo was still online, and that I had archived the site (immense amount of info, some of it unique) before the owner took his entire Web presence down out-of-the-blue.

Both Asteka games were Falcom founder Masayuki Kato's pet projects, and most of the Ys I developers had largely worked on Asteka II: Templo del Sol. Masaya Hashimoto definitely worked on Asteka II, for example. The first game was a weird hybrid of command-line adventuring with a lot more ero content than before or after in a Falcom game; the second takes players adventuring to ruins in the Yucatan Peninsula. We actually got a localized NES port of Asteka II from Compile under the name Tombs & Treasures. They're interesting milestones in Falcom's early history, and Asteka II lucked out and got a remake on one of JVC's Falcom Saturn remake collections, but I'm not sure how good or bad they played relative to competing games.

I remember Tombs and Treasure being pretty good at the time and standing up well against other western adventure games, of course I was probably under 12 years old the last time I played it, so that could just be my childhood nostalgia speaking.

I didn't know Asteka 1 was an ero game though. I thought Falcom ditched all of that after that first weird RPG they did (I think it was their first title)

Discoalucard

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I didn't know Asteka 1 was an ero game though. I thought Falcom ditched all of that after that first weird RPG they did (I think it was their first title)

It's not technically an ero game, it's a regular old text adventure that they stuck some digitized black and white cheesecake into for some reason. Asteka II had a similar NSFW Easter egg.

Cqef

Oct 27, 2017
somewhere in France
Hm... I don't think Falcom delved into eroge all that much, to be honest. As far as I know, it only was the case for Private Stripper, which was (correct me if I'm wrong) a simple strip-poker game.

Evaansan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope Falcom stop using shitty localisation companies like NISA and Aksys otherwise they're going to lose everything in the west.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Falcom stop using shitty localisation companies like NISA and Aksys otherwise they're going to lose everything in the west.
Aksys did a commendable job on Tokyo Xanadu. Not as great as an XSEED localization, but leagues above NISA's poor Ys VIII localization. There were some technical errors but the writing overall was pretty good, and they say they've fixed a lot of those errors for the PS4 and PC release.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I didn't say all of their talent left. Wataru Ishibashi was an incredible musician who stuck on board with Falcom, but sadly he died at 39 in 2014 (he was the composer for Silver Will, one of the most iconic songs in Falcom history, from Trails in the Sky.) Takahiro Unisuga is another big talent who's been working on games with them since Xanadu Next and is still making music for their games. Hayato Sonoda worked on Vantage Master back in 1997, and he's still at Falcom making awesome tracks as well. One of their more prolific (and contracted) composers, Mitsuo Singa, is less awesome but he's been improving a lot lately.

It's harder to tell you about the awesome internal artists that are currently working at the company because most of them, whether it be art or music, aren't credited directly for their work. For example, we have no idea who the current lead artist doing the character art for Trails is right now, but we can start to guess. It's easier to talk about the talents and their contributions in the OP because they're no longer at Falcom.

Random example: the artist behind the awesome Baccano! light novel and anime series (and for Star Ocean 4's illustrations), Katsumi Enami, did work on Ys Seven for Falcom, alongside Trails of Zero and Trails of Azure. HACCAN did the promo art for Trails sometimes - the artist that did the Mushihime-sama cover. The thing is, because Enami was credited for certain Falcom titles, there is often confusion about the fact that some of the internal artists follow Enami's style closely or emulate it so people credit that work to Enami mistakenly.

You can see Enami's prowess at character design in one of Adol's best designs in franchise history:

MAGTNjK.jpg

This was more a tribute to Falcom's influence in the industry.

Didn't know that she was the illustrator for Baccano!

Also she really makes a good artist for Fire Emblem series. Really like her color in that fantasy outfit.

bishopcruz

Oct 25, 2017
It's not technically an ero game, it's a regular old text adventure that they stuck some digitized black and white cheesecake into for some reason. Asteka II had a similar NSFW Easter egg.

Ok that makes a bit more sense.

Hm... I don't think Falcom delved into eroge all that much, to be honest. As far as I know, it only was the case for Private Stripper, which was (correct me if I'm wrong) a simple strip-poker game.

To be fair, a surprising amount of early Japanese PC gaming had an ero bent to it. IIRC, Enix had an ero title as one of their first games.Then after a while when most devs migrated to consoles the only NON ero Japanese PC dev was Falcom.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Ys VIII, Tokyo Xanadu ex+ and Trails of Cold Steel, all classic titles developed by the same company. Ys is much closer to its 80s roots than Zelda too. Seems insane.
Even Nintendo and Atlus focused just on one game for desktop consoles (BOTW & Persona 5).

Even Capcom was the publisher for Poker Ladies

Strifev1

Oct 29, 2017
Random example: the artist behind the awesome Baccano! light novel and anime series (and for Star Ocean 4's illustrations), Katsumi Enami, did work on Ys Seven for Falcom, alongside Trails of Zero and Trails of Azure. HACCAN did the promo art for Trails sometimes - the artist that did the Mushihime-sama cover. The thing is, because Enami was credited for certain Falcom titles, there is often confusion about the fact that some of the internal artists follow Enami's style closely or emulate it so people credit that work to Enami mistakenly.

You can see Enami's prowess at character design in one of Adol's best designs in franchise history:

MAGTNjK.jpg

I knew most everything you posted until this comment. I loved Baccano! (the anime) and didn't realize Enami was one that did Adol's design for 7. While 7 is far from my favorite Ys, this is definitely my favorite design of Adol.
Thanks for the info and long live Falcom!