• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IzzyRX

Powered by Friendship™
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Dunno about production, but this song remains my favorite to this day:

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dunno about production, but this song remains my favorite to this day:

this wasn't even a good track until this rework

people liking daft punk and hailing them as something otherworldly is just nostalgia. they're good, but they're not great until something else is thrown in the mix.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
this wasn't even a good track until this rework

people liking daft punk and hailing them as something otherworldly is just nostalgia. they're good, but they're not great until something else is thrown in the mix.

Holy shit does this ruin the track. Part of why this song is so good is because of the soothing instrumental melody in the beginning that leads up to the singing/lyrics. Throwing this in changes the entire tone of the song.

This is just a terrible overall take.

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit does this ruin the track. Part of why this song is so good is because of the soothing instrumental melody in the beginning that leads up to the singing/lyrics. Throwing this in changes the entire tone of the song.

This is just a terrible overall take.
i feel completely the opposite. i love how ellie goulding's vocals bring out daft punk's production. that shit was a total match.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
When get lucky came out i did nothing but listen to it for a good 2 hours. And i absorbed RAM, listened to the album as i made breakfast and when going to sleep.

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Love is in contention for my favorite song of all time.

And Discovery is a Top 10 album. Maybe Top 5 even.

Daft punk isn't my favorite artist, but Digital Love is definitely my favorite song of all time. Regardless of my mood, both in terms of music taste and how I'm literally feeling, the song always makes me smile and I get lost in the track. It's just perfect from beginning to end.

Oct 27, 2017
RAM was an absolutely flawless album from an engineering standpoint but holy fuck if it's not full of some of the most boring music I've ever heard

as a music producer myself, i have to agree. I find their sound design and mastering/mixing to be GREAT, on par with the best engineered records.

but the music itself, imo, is not that interesting. i'd rather listen to an underproduced/bordering lo-fi record with KICKASS musicianship than an overproduced/overpowering record with lackluster performances. This doesn't relate entirely to Daft Punk, because i think they understand this, but many other producers DON'T.

this has evolved partly from the "loudness war" that is mastering radio friendly / loud decibel ranging music, and it's not that cool tbh. streaming platforms these days limit and compress everything anyways, so production wise it's a waste of time and hampers the dynamic range of a good, unprocessed track. From an artistic standpoint, you're turning your creativity into a commercial product, which sometimes means dumbing it down to fit industry standard requirements

Last edited:

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
This year it's RAM's 6th anniversary. I can't believe it's been such a long time since it came out.

The RAM tracks from best to worst:

1. Motherboard
2. Give Life Back to Music
3. Touch
4. Doin' it Right
5. Get Lucky
6. Giorgio By Moroder
7. The Game of Love
8. Within
9. Lose Yourself to Dance
10. Beyond
11. Instant Crush
12. Contact
13. Fragments of Time

I don't think any track from RAM is really bad. Fragments of Time is the only song I don't like at all.
I'm sure about 1, 12 and 13. The rest in between could change a little from time to time.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are some boring songs on it, but RAM can't possibly be considered the boring Daft Punk album when HAA exists. It could be great but each song is like, 4 minutes too long. Though I can't deny that it formed the skeleton of their best album, Alive 2007.
Contact, though-- Contact's the one I always find people sleeping on and I just do not understand. Am I the only one who thought that song was incredible?
Hell yeah! I don't know how any one can manage to resist getting hyped to that one.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I'm listening to Crescendolls right now. It's got to be one of the greatest songs ever.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
I remember reading a rumour about a year or so ago that in an interview Pedro Winter said that their next album will be "futuristic sounding" along the lines of going back to acid house.

I, for one, will be very excited if this is true.

Going back on topic: Daft Punk's production is insane. As someone who loves to make house and electronic music, their production mystifies me. Homework will always be one of my favourite albums but their "best" is definitely Discovery. Then again, I think Human After All was amazing too...Random Access Memories was pretty good but it's the one I go back to the least.

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
Discover is still my favorite, I find human after all and tron boring, the acoustic of ram was a nice try but not complex enough for me.
Despite not liking human after all alone, I like how it fit with discovery and homework in alive 2007.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Daft punk isn't my favorite artist, but Digital Love is definitely my favorite song of all time. Regardless of my mood, both in terms of music taste and how I'm literally feeling, the song always makes me smile and I get lost in the track. It's just perfect from beginning to end.

Such a perfect and awesome song. From the beat to the simple lyrics and vocals *chief's gesture*

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
As already mentioned in the thread, these guys come from a subset of French House producers that are extraordinarily meticulous.
It's part of their raison d'être as musicians

The late Zdar of Cassius gave a tour of his studio to MixBus a couple years back, and the purpose, detail, and attention that goes into every single piece of equipment, whether old, new, or custom-made is kind of awe-inspiring.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ram had a great clean sound. but the music itself left me a bit disappointed. some good stuff in there but i don't find myself going back to that well as much as i thought i would.

a majority of the music i listen to are french electronic duos it's funny how specific that is.

Last edited:

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is so impressive. Fan video.. but wow.

Give it the full hour.

Epilepsy warning.

One of my favorite albums of all time and it kinda made it hard for me to listen to anything pre-Alive 2007 since these remixes are my favorite versions of these songs. This video though, I swore I saw it like a year or two ago but he has the upload as March. Dang time moves quick.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Daft Punk is great. People forget though that Get Lucky owes its greatness to being co-written by Nile Rodgers.

Apr 24, 2018
Around the World and One More Time have been a part of my playlists for years...and Get Lucky joined them many years later. Happy that Kanye West and Pharrell Williams helped Daft Punk gain more mainstream popularity.

Oct 25, 2017
México
This year it's RAM's 6th anniversary. I can't believe it's been such a long time since it came out.

1. Motherboard
3. Touch
4. Doin' it Right
5. Get Lucky
6. Giorgio By Moroder
7. The Game of Love
8. Within
10. Beyond
11. Instant Crush
12. Contact
13. Fragments of Time

I don't think any track from RAM is really bad. Fragments of Time is the only song I don't like at all.
I'm sure about 1, 12 and 13. The rest in between could change a little from time to time.
I find it funny how we all are very different. Fragments of Time is my absolutely favorite from RAM.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

1. Motherboard
3. Touch
4. Doin' it Right
5. Get Lucky
6. Giorgio By Moroder
7. The Game of Love
8. Within
10. Beyond
11. Instant Crush
12. Contact
13. Fragments of Time

You are literally my inverse