Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I don't know if this counts exactly, but I had Sonic 3D Blast on the Genesis as a kid. I never really got far in the game, but one day something must've hit the cartridge or something because I got a screen that brought up a level selector so I could go to any level I wanted. I could replicate it too. All I had to was jiggle the cartridge and the game would freeze and take me to this level selector. It was awesome.

EDIT: I actually found an article discussing this exact thing I experienced. https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/3/16409052/sonic-3d-cheat-genesis

Yeah, the programmer did that to pass certification more easily https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9bkKw32dGw

[edit] beaten, oh well

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
In the first couple of FIFAs on the Sega Genesis, I figured out that if you timed pressing the shoot or pass button (don't remember which) while standing in front of the goalie just after he would drop kick the ball, you could block it with a header that would either roll into the goal or be picked up easily for a shot. It worked like 90% of the time.

Also, after committing a foul, you could run away from the ref and he would chase you until you stopped running in order to give you the card. You could do this indefinitely and it made for some hilarious multiplayer games with my family.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Alma was a notoriously difficult boss in the Xbox Ninja Gaiden. I remember they made a big deal about how hard she was in EGM, and I think in a few other magazines I read at the time too.

About two minutes into my fight with her I found out that there's a simple combo you can lock her in. IIRC it was just X, X, roll, X, pause for a second, repeat. After I started that loop I beat her without taking any damage.

It was really anticlimactic.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
In Lufia 2, I stumbled onto the level 0 glitch from just randomly running through the menus. Tanks the challenge of most of the fight, but it's still one of my favorite games ever.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
In the early days of pokemon gen 1, nobody knew about effort values. But my friends and I figured out they existed. We didn't know how they worked exactly, but we knew that fighting more battles lead to stronger pokemon.

Everyone already knew about the Missingo trick, so all the teams you saw back then were leveled to 100 with rare candies, but had no EV growth. So our teams, which were hand raised, ended up with significant stat advantages. It backfired a bit later because I belived that rare candy prevented pokemon from gaining those stats and dindn't leanr how EVs really worked until gen 6. But in gen 1 my charizard was god.

Also i figured out early on that moves with increased crit ratios always hit critically if you were fast enough. So many people wasted time with solar beam and hyper beam while I just razor leaf and slashed my way through.

Dec 25, 2018
KH 1.5HD Summon Exploit

It's such a weird glitch, we don't know if it's intentional or not but basically after using a finisher in KH1FM with 0EXP equipped, your summons will basically do the equivalent of a finisher per hit. It causes you to literally shred through almost every end game boss, even a super boss.

Mind you this was discovered in 2013 when 1.5HD came out. It is still present on the PS4 so no one really knows if the design was intentional.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The Pride Rock Exp farming trick in Vanilla KH2. I didn't really browse forums back then and just discovered how you can abuse it on my own. I guess it doesn't trivialize the game but you level up so insanely fast.

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Sacramento, California
I found an exploit in Dragon Age Inquisition where you can get max influence ( I think that's what it was called at least) by buying and selling these scrolls in skyhold like in Fable. I unfortunately also found out if you over cap it, you get this annoying whoosh noise that plays every time you open and close the menu. It. Drove. Me. Crazy!

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
The dump the puck glitch in NHL Stanley Cup. Dumping the puck from the middle of the ice between the Blueline and center faceoff circle would go over the goalie and in the net 100% of the time.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I cheesed a few boss fights in Divinity OS2 by using the teleport gloves to place ranged fighters in areas the enemy couldn't reach. I'm sure it's been patched out by now.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
There was an old football game on the mega drive, fifa maybe, where you could cross the ball from near the corner post and follow it up for a goal. Worked 99% of the time.

I also found when I used to have a wii, the position where idnlay on the sofa was the perfect angle to just swing my arm for a strike every time.

That sounds like FIFA 2019 to be fair. Every game has some jank like that in it, they often seem to be about figuring out those scenarios where you will score every time, and then simply replicating them as frequently as possible.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
I think it was in KH2, if you are in drive from before the final area (entrence to Kingdom Hearts) and enter the final area still in drive form, your drive gauge is instantly refilled. I used this to get to level 99.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I discovered item duping in Oblivion long before I read about it. It's so easy to do I'm amazed it was never discovered by testers. It was also never patched (which does not surprise me, lol. Oblivion got like two major patches and that was it...).

I was one of the first people to find an overflow glitch in Kirby's Dream Land 2: once you max out the score counter, anything you do that would normally award points will instead give you an extra life, making the game almost impossible to lose by accident.

I was also the first person I know of to discover the trick in Halo 2 where, in the Cairo Station level, you could take Sgt. Johnson with you (by meleeing him repeatedly) and he would clear out the entire level for you, since he's invulnerable. It's tricky because, among many other reasons, he will eventually try to move back to his original position, but with persistence you can move him pretty much anywhere. I used this trick to beat the level on Legendary for the first time. (More details here.)

Flukeman

Oct 28, 2017
During the battles in Hybrid Heaven, you could continually back away diagonally from the enemy without getting hit until you had enough energy to attack. I I did that for the rest of the game once I noticed it.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Obtaining the Rocket Punch power up in Pikmin 2 and realizing I can just run through the annoying-ass caves and kill just about every enemy by punching the shit out of them with Olimar while the Pikmin sit and wait and the spawn point.

Does that count? It's certainly not what the developers intended, but I didn't give a shit. Fuck the caves.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Found a spot in RDR2 online that completely trivializes the Trader pursuit. Lets see how long it lasts lol

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I found an infinite gold glitch in the Xbox version of Morrowind that I don't think anyone else ever found.
My friend told me about custom spell glitches. I could conjure a skeletal warrior for 1 second (cheap af spell), but if I looked straight down while casting it would not expire until hp reached 0. I then conjured dozens of skeletons and dealt with single-digit framerates to have an army fight for me. Turning around to face them would result in less than 1fps. Never locked up though, so kudos to you xbox...

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
There used to be an exploit in how viewing the free ads for premium currency in Rayman Adventures worked where if you kept trying to view ads even if it told you to come back later, you could quickly get it to force ads again (i think if you checked like 5-10 times in a row) and if you kept at it consistently for a few minutes you didnt even have to sit through the ads. You just tapped to view, tap to close out of the post-ad banner, collect currency, repeat. Once you amassed enough currency you could just pay your way into collecting all of the incrediballs (the games "progression")

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I figured out a fast leveling exploit in Super Mario RPG:

There's a save point at Lands End at the start of the underground cave, and two stars (one purchaseable).

Use the stars to kill all the enemies on the map and die on purpose to belome. It sends you back to the save point with your EXP intact, and everything else reset, including the stars.

Repeat.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I think it was in KH2, if you are in drive from before the final area (entrance to Kingdom Hearts) and enter the final area still in drive form, your drive gauge is instantly refilled. I used this to get to level 99.
It was less about it being the final area and more that it was an area where your party members act like NPCs. Since you need them in order to use drive forms, you automatically revert to normal Sora and the devs were kind enough to give you a full drive meter to compensate, as opposed to draining it to 0 or having it remain where it was before you entered the area.

You can easily replicate this at any earlier point in the game that has areas where your party acts like NPCs. With enough forward knowledge you can be very efficient in how you level up your drive forms.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
The rifle-line in the original Final Fantasy Tactics. I made everyone carry guns except a couple of people riding cleanup, advanced carefully keeping everyone together to cover each other, and decimated every fight I used that tactic in. I stopped using it fairly quickly because it made the game boring.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Leveling up sneak at the tutorial sewer exit in Oblivion.

50% of the roster in Mortal Kombat deadly alliance have at least one move with no recovery that you can use to stunlock everything including bosses at any difficulty.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
CQC slamming soldiers on the ground in MGS3: Subsistence made clearing camps so easy

Just walk up and lightly hold the button = instant knock out

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Javiks dark channel on shepard breaks mass 3.
It lasts forever and primes EVERYTHING.
Combine with a biotic team or a vanguard shep and games braindead even in insanity.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
The Bourne video game had one 3-hit combo that was absolutely unstoppable. Either the enemy would eat the combo or they would get locked in a block. Repeat that combo non-stop, build up your takedown meter, use your takedown, lathe, rinse, repeat, lament on not being Matt Damon.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
In Metal Gear Rising, you can buffer a parry during a parry animation. That lets you parry any flurry of attacks, which effectively turns you invincible against most enemies in the game.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Jade Empire: the Storm Dragon stance was meant to cause a stun status so you could switch to another stance and get a power hit in, but if you just stayed in Storm Dragon you could stunlock the majority of enemies and just whittle them down without fear of counterattack. Even worked on the final boss.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
Unreal tournament on Dreamcast: there was a wall on one of the towers of 2 worlds with no collision box so you could go inside the wall and shoot Rockets at enemies while being hidden. I'm not quite sure how many others knew about this since this was in 1999 before checking online for exploits wasn't common.

Mortal Kombat trilogy for n64: not really an exploit but I figured out scorpion's third fatality (giant skeletal hand) through lots of trial and error. This was not listed in any strategy guide or anywhere online at the time. I see that it's listed now when I checked a few years ago but it wasn't for a very long time. It's forward, forward, back, low punch by the way. I'll never forget that sequence lol.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
In dragon age origins on 360 you could hand in the blood vials (of you get them but dont finish the area in ostagar) infinite times, allowing you to be max level before the tutorial ends.
Then in the first town you could sell/craft an infinite ammount of traps for infinite money too.

GagazetSK

Feb 18, 2019
Auckland, New Zealand
Noticed in Resettear that NPC's would often buy stuff from vending machines with each purchase, regardless of what was in the vending machine. So I bought the largest vending machine and stocked it with the most expensive item: vending machines. I didn't mind when the little girl came in asking to buy an apple below cost price because she'd almost always go past the vending machine on the way out and buy an over-priced vending machine from it!

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Bloody Roar: Primal Fury

One of the characters can immediately start the match with a lunging tackle that will roll and throw the opponent out of the ring. Used this ad nauseum to annoy a friend. Good times.

ieo

Aug 7, 2019
Metroid Prime

It doesn't completely trivialize the game, but you can extend a sidestep while messing with the lock-on to fling yourself. I did it by accident off Samus' ship and landed on the ridge to the double jump boots early.

I saw it used in a speed run many years later and laughed.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
In Rogue Galaxy, there was a combo skill with 3 characters (Like Protagonist + Main girl + Pseudo Han Solo dude) that just killed every group of regular enemies in the game for no cost. I didn't even tried to find it, it was like the easiest to find exploit ever.

Balancing in this game was so shitty lol

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
If you circle-strafed enemies in Severance: Blade of Darkness (old PC game), the AI couldn't really keep up and it made the game a trivial experience. I would circle-strafe, move in and attack, go back to circle-strafing, move in and attack, etc. It took all the fun out of it, tbh.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Origin command & conquer. AI armies never attacked walls. You could wall them off in the corner of the map at a choke and then build your army in peace with minimal interference from whatever cooldowns they might have at their disposal.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The freeze/napalm attacks in Twisted Metal 2. Accidentally figured out the Ice attack and then goofing around we figured out the fire attack by switching up the first two directions of the input... used that in like in some twisted metal tournaments at a local game store we had near me and won a few free games. I don't even know if it's a secret, probably in the manual or something but nobody we played knew about it.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Using an early GF to refine Cures up to Curaga in FF8, then junctioining them to the HP stat. Easy way to be in the quadruple digits before the second disk.

Neko_No_Naku

Jan 9, 2018
In Bioshock, there are set of abilities (tonics) that you can equip that make you invincible: Base wrench damage increase (like +500%) + Invisible while standing still + Increased wrench damage to unsuspecting enemies (+200%) + Freeze status effect to the wrench + Vampire effect to the wrench + Electric shock to enemies that melee you + Increased speed and wrench swing speed.

I initially went a lot with the wrench since the shooting is very janky, and it totally pays off to stick to it. Go up to the Big Daddy and just spam wrench.

anderedna

Oct 25, 2017
Xcom 2 PS4. if you play the game long enough without restarting the game, a bug will trigger where enemy won't be moving at all. Might trigger faster if you're reloading the save quite frequently. Once it triggered, it'll carry over to next missions as well, until you quit the game.

By restarting the game and loading back the save, the game will run normally again. I stumbled the bug a couple of times during the playtrough as I reload the saves quite a lot. Not sure if the bug is fixed or not.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much any roguelike indie game on switch that has autosave. Dead cells and Darkest Dungeon comes to mind.

Reset Switch as you die immediately and you'll get another try.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Rockstars Table Tennis. Any difficulty. Just hold forward and mash "a". Youll win every point.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
The "jump on the shell to get infinite lives" in super Mario bros was that kind of exploit for me at release. However, I am not sure if it was intended to be exploited or a by-product of a late change I the game difficulty balance.

Oct 27, 2017
In Demons Souls, if you quit the game in the dying animation, when you launch it again, you respawn exactly where you make your last interaction with the world (open a chest, etc). That's super useful when you die with a boss, because you respawn before the fog door. I wouldn't have finished the game without knowing that :D

Yes, that's a good one. I abused that a lot to get through trickier areas.

EDIT - another one was passing an item on to a friend, letting them exit back to their game and shutting your game down from the menu before it could save, so they got a copy of your item and you kept it. I did this to help a couple of people out with the Pure Bladestone.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
The Suikoden 1 Marco money trick.

Played the game on my Vita, camping in Australia, without any Internet whatsoever, and discovered this trick.

I finished Suikoden 1 rich as fuck.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I found out by myself first that in Valkyria Chronicles 1 you can just rush the flag with scouts.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
There's a dungeon in DQXIII that has enemies called Phoenix, that will revive each other pretty frequently. Killing them gives you XP... every time...so I just mashed attack, killing them and letting them revive over and over, which can level you up multiple times in a short period. I could max out some abilities and steam roll the last bit of the game, as well as the main portion of the post game.