Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
That's not news at all. People really don't know how much Sony supports studios? There's no one like them, in order to get a game to quality standards they'll do everything they can

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
some reactions here, going straight to saying "he has an agenda", "why is he doing this" are disgusting. be better people.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I wouldn't say Sony paying for delays is the reason why they're the best studio in the world, probably more down to talent?

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Guy's coming off like a jackass throwing his coworkers under the bus.

"a more talented team would have shipped a year ago" - what the fuck? lol why would you shit talk this publicly?
I think his point is that, a lot of the people there at ND now were not his co-workers. Most of the people he worked with left, and they've been replaced by an army of younger, less seasoned devs, hence his comment about the talent there now

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really surprised by that, most big studios are gonna chew up talent and spit them out at super fast rates.

What I'd be concerned about is ND bleeding more talent.

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
e8693d8a4df4075eb1acfa2f17c64813.jpg

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
his issues with crunch/etc are completely valid and an unfortunate reality all over the industry. devs should unionize and stomp that shit out. but i doubt it'll ever happen.

Sep 25, 2018
This can be said for pretty much every AAA game.
As if Rockstar or Capcom could deliver the games they are delivering just based on skill - all these games exist because of massive budgets and the need to sell millions.

not every AAA, Nintendo do more with less meaning spending less, they do not have to sell a million to make even like other AAA

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
i agree with his whole twitter thread but this last sentence ended on a sour note.

how many studios have more budget and delays than ND and turn worse games? yeah

Not many?

I can't really think of many AAA studios on that budget level, that are afforded long delays, that churn out bad games.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
you do realize that game took over 8 years to make? they shipped uncharted with the vita launch at the end of 2011 in japan. days gone released in april 2019.

how many other third party studios do you think wouldve gotten away with releasing one AAA game in over 8 years?
?
What the hell does this have to do with what I posted? I was replying to the title of thread which is "ND's game success is due in large part to Sony's deep pocket funding delays rather than skill alone" my reply was in reference to days gone being a mediocre game but still having Sony's backing.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
This caught my attention...

"Ultimately, ND's linear games have a formula and they focus-test the shit out of them."

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Guy's coming off like a jackass throwing his coworkers under the bus.

"a more talented team would have shipped a year ago" - what the fuck? lol why would you shit talk this publicly?

He never said a more talented team. He is saying that a more experienced team could have optimized the work better, don't know what outrageous about it

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
That's not news at all. People really don't know how much Sony supports studios? There's no one like them, in order to get a game to quality standards they'll do everything they can

You're missing the entire point of his thread. It's that instead of facilitating talent retention, ND hires a lot of inexperienced contractors and Sony throws money at them.

It's one of the things that leads to crunch when work that would be completed by more experienced individuals is being done by those that aren't.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whilst budget and support is of course important, a more senior team with a bigger budget and dev team size wouldn't necessarily equal more success, see games like Anthem, Fallout 76, Mass Effect Andromeda etc. Were that true, big budget games by more established studios would be of the quality and acclaim of ND titles, but they aren't.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Those two tweets look a lot worse out of context. Go read the entire thread and you'll better understand what he's saying. Starts here:

He's not shitting on the developers, he's calling out a toxic work culture.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
the worrying part for me is filling the team with movie animators and juniors, sure they can get up to speed but yeah, seems ND is having trouble with their reputation.

he does say TLOU2 will have state of the art animations, tho.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
He physically said "While talented, their success is due in large part to Sony's deep pockets funding delays rather than skill alone. A more senior team would have shipped TLOU2 a year ago. " giving the impression that his former colleagues success is mainly due to $$$ and not skills
I took that as "it's not just their skill".

But fair enough.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of another industry that's so relentless in pushing the envelope and moving technology forward while at the same time being so horribly stuck in the past.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Thread summary:

1) Naughty Dog crunch has gotten them a bad rep in the LA area

2) they're having trouble retaining talent as a result

3) this means less experienced people (like animators) end up getting contracted to do the work

4) this means the games take longer to come out vs. games done by senior people, which further adds to crunch

5) Sony bankrolling and putting up with delays is a big reason why the games ultimately turn out well under these circumstances

Did I get that right?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
He physically said "While talented, their success is due in large part to Sony's deep pockets funding delays rather than skill alone. A more senior team would have shipped TLOU2 a year ago. " giving the impression that his former colleagues success is mainly due to $$$ and not skills
Yes because the horrible crunch culture burns experienced people out and they are replaced by people who do not have enough experience to do it as efficiently and fast as them. Thus people being replaced and it taking longer/costing more.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
This caught my attention...

"Ultimately, ND's linear games have a formula and they focus-test the shit out of them."
That was quite apparent in Jason article about the iteration process and how it helps create new things and polish others... but adds a ton of extra work with things.

Oct 29, 2017
This has been known for years. Sony rely on focus testing and tried & tested "formulaic" game design more than just about any other publisher.

You're just hearing it from the horse's mouth now.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Does any former ND employee speak great about it that studio? It seems like a pattern. I say as someone who loves their games.

May 25, 2019
London
This is just awful to hear. I was hoping that the Cyberpunk, Doom, and TLoU2 delays over the last few months of 2019 meant that we were avoiding crunch and giving the teams time to finish up those games the right away. Afraid to say this isn't the case, and it's just prolonged crunch.

I would love to hear a comparison to Respawn, who shipped a game in Jedi Fallen Order that was very playable but definitely had its rough edges and issues at launch. Were they doing similar levels of crunch, or did they decide against it and just plan to address stuff after it went gold?

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Those two tweets look a lot worse out of context. Go read the entire thread and you'll better understand what he's saying. Starts here:

He's not shitting on the developers, he's calling out a toxic work culture.

yeah the entire thread he writes up sounds less harsh on the devs and animators. but man, what a crazy read

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Among the Twitter thread is ND threatening to withhold his paycheck, members of the team needing weeks of recovery time after intense crunch to complete the September demo, and a good friend of his being hospitalized due to the same September demo crunch.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The guy isnt saying that TLOU2 is going to be a bad game!

And there are some parts of it (such as that several people had to take stress-related hospitalizations) that are very VERY serious.
Um why? He has a very legitimate point and ND looks absolutely awful if everything he says is true.

Lol I was making a joke. People like to ignore this shit if the game is good.

We have threads like this all the time and people always say "oh well I'm sure it will be worth it if the game is good!" which honestly disgusts me. I was trying to be sarcastic and I guess I failed, but anyway, my sentiments to the junior staff and their horrific crunch. Hope shit changes.

Oct 26, 2017
?
What the hell does this have to do with what I posted? I was replying to the title of thread which is "ND's game success is due in large part to Sony's deep pocket funding delays rather than skill alone" my reply was in reference to days gone being a mediocre game but still having Sony's backing.

Not ever Sony studio is treated like ND that's why.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
A more senior team would have shipped a game that needed more time?
He's saying a more senior team wouldn't have taken as long. With as high of a turnover rate as Jason said, I can see why he's saying that.
dude def has an agenda with a comment like that. that's probably how most quality high-budget shit gets treated from games to movies to anything. they wait till they get it right, even at cost.
I don't think there's an agenda. With Jason speaking about this now, this is a good time for him as well.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe read the thread and not just the one tweet. He's saying ND cant keep their seniors because theyre being burned out and time gets lost teaching too many juniors that are hired to make up for it. He didnt trash his ex colleagues.