• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why not both? I think the Mr Wizard stuff in addition to the Sony purchase was a 1-2 punch that really turned Nintendo off, and potentially rightly so...
It's not both as it's been stated that they promoted MLB the Show on the last direct which is a Sony game that's releasing on the switch.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I don't think it's a bigger loss for Evo, it's a bigger loss for the smash scene, less big tournaments is a huge negative.
lol dude, Smash always has tournaments all the time, losing Evo is not a big deal as you make it out to be compared to Evo losing Smash as it was game with the most amount of entrants the last 2 times it was there (because it was canceled there isn't exact numbers for 2020 but the last update had it on 1st place)

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
lol dude, Smash always has tournaments all the time, losing Evo is not a big deal as you make it out to be compared to Evo losing Smash as it was game with the most amount of entrants the last 2 times it was there (because it was canceled there isn't exact numbers for 2020 but the last update had it on 1st place)

The biggest Smash tournament ever was at Evo. The biggest Evo tournament ever was not Smash. Not sure how anybody is spinning this as not a big deal for the Smash community. Kinda dismissive of the years of community effort it took to get Smash at Evo in the first place.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Riot does their own circuit for their Project L game, are they gonna restrict EVO as well.

I think it will be a bummer if it goes down this path. It like when there is too many streaming services, lol.
With the Cannons involved with both the Riot games and them being co-founders of Evo I'd be surprised if it doesn't have a heavy presence there at some point. It seems like a slam dunk they'd be crazy to pass up on even if they have their own thing planed for Project L.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully the event this year runs well and at a high if not full capacity as long as the organizers think it's safe. This year is simply the return, next year though will be much more interesting. There may not be anymore restrictions and more importantly the newest Street Fighter should be out by then.

SFV did 5k back in 2016. Maybe I'm crazy for thinking this but I think SF6 has a very good chance of beating it. By EVO 2024 all the big next gen FG's should be out like Project L, Tekken 8, and MK12(Tekken 8 and MK12 aren't announced, I'm just predicting it).

Last edited:

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I'd really like to see an statement from Nintendo about this since it could be something understandable or them being scumbags like they have been other times, but that probably won't happen.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
So stupid that they're not part of it. Also would be strange if they're part of other FGC tournaments and not this one which would lead me to believe that Nintendo doesn't want their machine played at a Sony event.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Well whatever. Never liked Smash as a fighting game, to play or to watch, so this doesn't hit me personally. And Evo will be fine with all the other games without problems.

YoungOne

Nov 3, 2020
SO the line up on a guess is SFV, Strive, Tekken, DBFZ, KOF 15, Melty Blood, and Sc6 (if there is a 7th game).

circuit

Oct 27, 2017
Even more unexpected since just yesterday was their first official 'Twitch Rivals' event (Mario Kart 8 casual charity tournament)

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
That's unfortunate. I may not be the biggest Smash watcher but it was an important game to see at EVO.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
User warned: Platform wars
Just Sony ruining another thing. :/

Of all the things they could've bought.. like, they don't even have a fighting game of their own, all they make are movie games, so.. why? Ugh.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
A fighting game tournament that thrives on multiplatform games from all sorts of hardware being run by a single, current platform holder is hilarious

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Movie games aside, im pretty sure this was Nintendo's decision and not Sony's.
Of course it was Nintendo's decision, they naturally don't want to benefit a competitor; Smash doesn't need EVO, it's the other way around.

That's why Sony as a platform holder buying EVO was a bad thing. They ruined it for everyone.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Not that surprised since Evo kinda had a big ass scandal. Even though they got bought out. I wouldn't be surprised if they stay away for another year or so.

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
Well, we all saw this coming since Sony bought EVO. Hopefully we at least get a new MightyKeef video because of this

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
If you thought Smash was going to appear at evo after it is now owned by Sony… think again.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Unfortunate, but with the Panda Global circuit happening I'm not too bummed about it.

Crazy that Ultimate was only there for one year considering its popularity, but COVID and all of that.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Of course it was Nintendo's decision, they naturally don't want to benefit a competitor; Smash doesn't need EVO, it's the other way around.

That's why Sony as a platform holder buying EVO was a bad thing. They ruined it for everyone.

It isn't the other way around. EVO been going on fine without Smash for years. Smash fans pushed hard for it to get into EVO.

Either way this doesn't benefit players or viewers of Smash which is most important, not whatever dumbass major company benefits. Other games do get a chance to shine though.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

...what? Are we just making shit up now? Why does EVO "need" Smash and how it is it somehow Sony's fault?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, have you SEEN the Smash community? Nintendo is still doing Smash tournaments, and the Smash community has a ton of scum, just like the wider FGC. Lets not pretend their community is any better.

EVOs branding was heavily tied to Joey Cueller and Nintendo might see it differently that a pedophile was running the event the whole time. Who knows though, their statement was really vague.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has made positive statements about EVO since the 2020 scandal, and given the insane number of scandals in the Smash community its clearly not something they are that concerned about.

This is simply them running their own Smash circuit and not wanting to be upstaged by another event. Shitty move from Nintendo but at least EVO will smell better.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't want to be a part of Playstation-run tournament I guess.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Nintendo definitely has the right to keep its IPs out of a sony run tourney, they will be better off running their own Smash league anyway, I would think.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo didn't have have a presence at an in person thing whatsover during the pandemic. I'm sure this is related to that.