• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Ever wake up in the morning and think to yourself, "damn peregrine falcon is a fucking badass"?

What is the fastest animal on Earth? Cheetah? Sonic the Hedgehog? No, it is this here bird
Falco_peregrinus_good_-_Christopher_Watson.jpg

Peregrine Falcon aka Falco Peregrinus. See even the name is so badass, scientists just made a more Latin version of the exact same name.

It can reach speed of 300 km/h. It sights its prey from far above and then dive bombs like a living missile

peregrine-falcon-diving.jpg

60959695_1593597327441768_1107295435661246464_n.jpg

Imagine every time you need to grab a sandwich you have to sight it from a distance where it would look like a pixel and chuck yourself at it at hundreds of kilometers per hour and the sandwich is moving! But Peregrine Falcons do just that.

Everything about the bird is AERODYNAMIC CHEF'S KISS. It even has smaller eye-ridges to reduce drag. Their wing are compact and angled to make them extremely maneuverable in the air. The air pressure on its face during its dives is so intense, it could suffocate it, but the falcon has little bones in its nostrils to slow down air going into their lungs.

And their eyesight is impeccable too.

Damn, I think God was crunching while making this bird.

Peregrine Falcon is so good at flying, that they frequently DESTROY birds many time larger than themselves in territorial air combat. Because being larger and physically stronger matter little when contending with the feathered embodiment of the After Burner theme in the air.

Here is the video showing this BOSS bird nailing targets and demolishing big ass pelicans in combat. Also yeets a snake off a cliff.

Last edited:

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
I'm lucky to live pretty near two known nests here in the UK, one in Chichester and one in Lewes. I was working outside in Lewes once and saw one of them take out a pigeon mid-air, it looked like the thing literally exploded into a puff of feathers, it was nuts.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got to see one in person and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had. Yeah they're badass af, they don't even look real.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
I'm lucky to live pretty near two known nests here in the UK, one in Chichester and one in Lewes. I was working outside in Lewes once and saw one of them take out a pigeon mid-air, it looked like the thing literally exploded into a puff of feathers, it was nuts.

And here is the Chichester nest live, it laid recently :)

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
everyone should read The Peregrine by J. A. Baker. dude was straight up CHUGGING that "i love hawks" juice and the book is an insane love letter to how unbelievably insane the peregrine falcon is as an extant predator.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holyshit that badass mother just wrecking 3 pelicans and a snake. Motherhood is hard.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
everyone should read The Peregrine by J. A. Baker. dude was straight up CHUGGING that "i love hawks" juice and the book is an insane love letter to how unbelievably insane the peregrine falcon is as an extant predator.
This. There is also an audiobook version read by David Attenborough.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
They're a common sight in my area. A few years back one perched on the gate post of my parents home, it was quite a proud looking chap

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Now I need to drinka bottle of peregrine-o.

Very impressed how she spotted a well camouflaged snake from hundreds of meters away in that video.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ok that falcon is amazing. Those pelicans and that snake for WREKT.

Nov 8, 2017
My school had us watch a TV show about peregrine falcons when I was about 9 or 10 (around 1992); can't remember what it was called though.

I think it was one of those BBC "Television for Schools" shows; probably six episodes. My memory is extremely vague, but I think it was about a group who were trying to track one down to learn about them.

EDIT: I think it was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-hIkHk38Rc

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Alright, this is gonna sound stupid. But I watched a documentary featuring them, and that night I had a dream about the same documentary but the falcon had Jon Snow's face.

So ever since then I can never not think about falcons without them having Jon Snow's grimacing face.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Alright, this is gonna sound stupid. But I watched a documentary featuring them, and that night I had a dream about the same documentary but the falcon had Jon Snow's face.

So ever since then I can never not think about falcons without them having Jon Snow's grimacing face.
Isn't Jon Snow antagonized by a bird of prey at some point in the books?

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Young adult book series from the 90s about teens morphing into animals. One of the go to morphs was the peregrine falcon and the "fastest animal in the world" point was repeated almost every time the morph was in play. Books were great but also a great vehicle for info on wildlife.
Hey I've actually heard of it from ERA and GAF before that. Weird-looking sequences on covers of people transforming into animals with transitional moments looking really weird is all I recall.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
The Mustang Mach E should have been the new Ford Falcon. How do we not have an automobile named for the Falcon?

Marqroq

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I live in the Philly burbs and am lucky to have one that lives in a half mile radius of my house. See it all the time and it's so badass. All the other birds sound alarms when it's around. I've been able to get as close as 10 ft to it.

somax

Oct 27, 2017
mediaportal.regione.lombardia.it

Mediaportal Regione Lombardia

Guarda tutti i video e le dirette su Mediaportal Regione Lombardia
This is a link for a live webcam of a peregrine falcon nest on the top of the Lombardy region building in Italy. The family has nested here for a couple of years, and three chicks are growing here right now.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey I've actually heard of it from ERA and GAF before that. Weird-looking sequences on covers of people transforming into animals with transitional moments looking really weird is all I recall.
Should really give it a try. They're really, really good and probably a bit too dark even for their target audience. They are really simple reads, though.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol on it's wikipedia it has a whole section how it can only see fluid motion at above 130fps.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a bird. How badass can they be? They are light therefore my jab can send it to the stratosphere (if it ever attacked me).

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky, and we've got to be careful. Really careful. So we don't trust anyone. Because if they find us... well, we just won't let them find us. The thing you should know is that everyone is in really big trouble. Yeah. Even you.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017