• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
MS took their foot off the gas halfway into the X360's life and then waited to step on it again in earnest until like... what, a couple of years ago? Its cost them at least two generations it feels like, and I'd argue they're still not at the level of development investment they should be at beyond the bandaid of the "everythings free!" approach of GamePass.

Sony was busy making a case for the PS4 all throughout the second half of the PS3's life. In its last year before the PS4 arrived, the PS3 enjoyed The Last Of Us, God Of War Ascension, Gran Turismo 6, Puppeteer, and Beyond Two Souls. Microsoft, for all the Phil Spencer talk, has failed to even approach that level of support for the Xbox One, and unpredictably is still lagging when it comes to console launches and being able to fill out an actual platforms worth of content.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Screenshot-20200724-132100.jpg

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
If Microsoft had multiple exclusives per year that could sell a few million copies at or near full price, they wouldn't be releasing them day-and-date on GamePass, end of story.

agreed here. The subs def work for added revenue. But to base it just on that, you def are leaving money on the table. Vs PSNow where sone game stay for a long period vs first party games that may show up for a month or two here and there.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
(...) the best way to get the masses on that boat in 2020 and for the foreseeable future is still to have a box people can see/buy readily available in places like Walmart or Target or Amazon. That is still how you get the most people to buy in to something like GamePass, to get your hardware in their homes.

I would say Lockhart is going to play this part for MS. "Get a next-gen console for as low as (~) $300" is not even a lie, it will technically run next-gen only games (e.g. SSD mandated, thinking about "The Medium" at launch).

Game Pass is equivalent to someone buying 2 first party MS games a year. That's cool. But if people don't have the console and only sub to game pass, they are not purchasing other video games. That means the majority of the money in the industry is entirely inaccessible to Microsoft, they only get the same revenue they would get if you buy 2 games a year. That is a very, very limiting thing in the long run.

But MS (and devs?) have stated multiple times that GP subscribers eventually play more and buy more games (anecdotal, but it's clearly the case for me).
Perhaps I'm missing something in your reasoning, but I think saying a year of GP is equivalent to 2 first party games for MS (in terms of revenue) is extremely simplistic.

edit: also 2 games per years is not bad, that's like 12-14 games for the lifespan of PS4 or X1. I'm pretty sure it's been demonstrated that people averagely don't buy more than 8-10 games for a single console.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
In the context of a new console debut; it was a very mediocre showing. But: They've made the case for Game Pass.

And I guess the focus will be on selling Game Pass, rather than the console. And if you're sold on Game Pass, then you'll buy the necessary plastic box, or access via PC/xCloud. Just like Netflix doesn't care what device you watch it on.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I still plan on getting both but Sony did a much better job selling the launch window/Year 1 which, barring delays, will feature Demon's Souls, Horizon II, Ratchet, Deathloop, Ghostwire, Spidey Miles, and Returnal.

Xbox showed plenty to get excited for too(Stalker 2, Avowed, SoD 3, Everwild, Fable) all of which are 2, 3, even 4 years away for the big RPGs.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I think what Sony's shown so far has been pretty good but not "Holy shit I need a PS5 now!" good. Difference is MS has a lot more to prove right now since their first party hasn't been in a good state since the Kinect days. Naturally people are gonna give Sony the benefit of the doubt.

I think thats fair. I think people need to adjust their expectations for what next gen will look like for the first year. Tho tbh, the line up of games for 2021 compared to 2014 is a lot stronger imo from both companies so at least they've stepped up their game from previous gen.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I would say Lockhart is going to play this part for MS. "Get a next-gen console for as low as (~) $300" is not even a lie, it will technically run next-gen only games (e.g. SSD mandated, thinking about "The Medium" at launch).

This may be the case but whatever arguments or points being made about MS' showing yesterday not being great for selling people on future Xbox hardware also apply to whatever Lockhart ends up being. It being cheaper doesn't make that argument go away completely. Even if its $300, you still have to convince people to give you their money.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft had multiple exclusives per year that could sell a few million copies at or near full price, they wouldn't be releasing them day-and-date on GamePass, end of story.

I think they would now, actually. I think they are aiming to get to that point, and when they do, game pass will still be around. Look at their investment!

But you are right that they currently don't, because of prior investments being low.

Ultimately, I believe the goal is to make people sub to game pass so that they're in the Xbox ecosystem, locked in, and continue to invest in that ecosystem through other game purchases. And the surest way to get people to do that is by getting them to buy an Xbox console, currently. Because wherever else Xbox games are playable, the Xbox ecosystem isn't available. On PC, you have the windows store which is essentially exclusively Game Pass games, and everybody buys their games on other stores. MS don't get a cut of that unless it's their own games. And let me tell you-cuts of third party games remains the single biggest source of revenue for both Sony and Microsoft, unless osmething changed very recently. Microsoft still wants that money.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... I definitely am baffled that this can be underplayed.

1) Most people don't have a gaming PC on par with a Series X
2) Many game pass games are not offered on Windows 10 (indeed, first-party games are the exception)
Yeah, I thought the show was disappointing but even so I wouldn't for a second consider not buying XSX when Game Pass is as it is. My sub is prepayed til 2022 too, for about $150. The value baked into it all beats everything.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Have we seen Horizon 2 gameplay? I could kinda see some of the stuff in the trailer being gameplay.
They def had cinematic angle gameplay in the traversal scenes. that's prob the game that either comes holiday 2021 or pushes to mid 2022. Vs gameplay in GT7 and at least a few mins of pre-alpha gameplay

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox conference told me I should get a Series X in 2022 and beyond once many of the first party games they announced start to drop. There's little reason to get a Series X right now (unless you're all-in on Gamepass).

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017

But MS (and devs?) have stated multiple times that GP subscribers eventually play more and buy more games (anecdotal, but it's clearly the case for me).
Perhaps I'm missing something in your reasoning, but I think saying a year of GP is equivalent to 2 first party games for MS (in terms of revenue) is extremely simplistic.
That IS true, but unless that person has an Xbox console currently, those extra game purchases don't make a dime for Microsoft. That's why selling the console is still one of the most important things to them. Not only does that ensure they are in the Xbox ecosystem and MS makes a cut of any game they buy, but it also makes a person exponentially more likely to sub to game pass itself. Still, in 2020, the surest way to make money as a first party is to sell a console to them. People saying the goal is game pass alone are simply incorrect. Yes, Game Pass is a huge focus, but for now, people not buying an Xbox is a big financial loss for Microsoft, and it'll be true for the foreseeable future.

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
They made me decide to stick to PC and keep Gamepass through xCloud and to keep my Xbox One S.

And that's what Microsoft wants. If you don't buy a Series X but still sub to Game Pass...Microsoft is ok with that.

This may be the case but whatever arguments or points being made about MS' showing yesterday not being great for selling people on future Xbox hardware also apply to whatever Lockhart ends up being. It being cheaper doesn't make that argument go away completely. Even if its $300, you still have to convince people to give you their money.

Most people who buy a cheaper console aren't going to be purchasing a console for exclusives. It's the Fortnite, CoD, Madden crowd.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I came away with the same reaction, but I don't think that MS is all that worried about selling more XSXs than PS5s, they are far more concerned about getting $15 per month from you for the rest of your life for Gamepass.

I strongly disagree with Sony not making its case for PS5 though. The 1st party games they showed (except for Returnal) had graphical fidelity that's just not possible on PS4 (and yes, this includes Spiderman).

Maybe the graphics weren't enough for them, but I was blown away by Horizon and Ratchet especially.

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
Very good article, agreed on pretty much all points. Especially that the presentation was a very poor advert for the Series X but a great advert for game pass. If Microsoft first party does start consistently putting out quality games like Sony did this generation I can see myself investing in a good pc and getting game pass. I don't know what reason I'd ever have to get an xbox but that probably doesn't bother them with this new strategy.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I came away with the same reaction, but I don't think that MS is all that worried about selling more XSXs than PS5s, they are far more concerned about getting $15 per month from you for the rest of your life for Gamepass.

I strongly disagree with Sony not making its case for PS5 though. The 1st party games they showed (except for Returnal) had graphical fidelity that's just not possible on PS4 (and yes, this includes Spiderman).

Maybe the graphics weren't enough for them, but I was blown away by Horizon and Ratchet especially.
Ive watched both shows several times and it's a stark contrast in what was shown. Sony def males a strong case, watching in 4K it's even more apparent things look good and they are way closer to release. I'm also excited for the new controller as well.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
IMO neither company has if im being really honest.

Doesnt stop me from being excited about the potential of both, but launch seems like its gonna be like a launch: mixed.

Both Sony and MS need to and HAVE said they are showing more. I dont hold it against either of them, in this climate with covid id be gun shy about anything too.

edit: to add, I think a lot of this is how different the consoles are being revealed. With 360/ps3, and ps4/x1, we had e3. A massive blast of into, 6 solid months of nothing but hype.

Were getting this slow drip of info now, its different. the lines are only gonna get blurrier with new "generations"

I'd agree with the bold. I think PS5 may have shown more heavy-hitter footage, but in the long run they're both going to be graphical powerhouses (no doubts there).

That said - right now, there aren't a lot of specificic compelling reasons (for me, at least) to be excited about the new consoles this year (or even until late next year, early 2022).

Last edited:

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The messaging is confused because MS is confused, and can't seem to decide if hardware is still important or not.

Although clearly not the same situation as 2013 some things do feel the same, in the slippery messaging, the firefighting execs, and the repeated promises that the next show will be the one we've been waiting for.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
And that's what Microsoft wants. If you don't buy a Series X but still sub to Game Pass...Microsoft is ok with that.

Most people who buy a cheaper console aren't going to be purchasing a console for exclusives. It's the Fortnite, CoD, Madden crowd.

And why would that crowd drop $300 this fall on new hardware if they can play that stuff on PS4/XboxOne/PC?

The only point I am trying to make is that MS is still trying to sell you hardware. Seems like people try and hand wave a potentially poor showing away like "they don't really care if you buy an xbox", well yeah, they really do. Xbox hardware is still the best trojan horse for getting people into their ecosystem and into GamePass for them.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm saying is, it's possible that guerilla hasn't been affected by Covid like every other studio has. But 4 years for a sequel to an rpg is already fast not taking into acct the virus. We saw a cg trailer for demon souls, the same with all those far off MS games. Ratchet was an alpha version, it could probably release in 2021. But none of that was set in stone. The only things I'm going spec tong is miles morales and GT sometime in 2021

Im pretty sure Demon's Souls wasnt a CG trailer, that was the old game's pre-rendered opening cutscene remade and running in Bluepoint's engine. Look at the screenshots from the game, those are the actual gameplay assets we are seeing in that trailer

Oct 27, 2017
But my thread about the exact same thing was closed? It's interesting. An external source makes the same point as a user's thread and it's allowed :p

Anyway, I agree for those same reasons

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They have both been underwhelming but Microsoft really stumbled there after the build up, the variety is good but a variety of unknowns since there is next to no game play. It honestly feels like neither should bother this year. 3rd party will come out to play next year. I don't underestimate the current situation and game development getting longer and longer but it's just a bit of a mess for both at the moment with Sony edging it on core titles but even those outside of Spider-Man are unknowns too, at least they had game play.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I know Sony brings it each gen and they have true exclusives. Easy choice regardless of what's shown.

I can play anything else on PC.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's IPs have been the strongest for them ever this current gen and their first year game output for PS5 seems to be the best it has ever been for a Playstation console. Honestly, what disappoints me with PS5 is how huge it is and looks. But the games sure aren't the problem.

Microsoft on the other hand, their first year seems to be very lack luster. It basically seems like Halo: Infinite, Dontnod's game and grounded are it. Halo didnt impress with the first showing and people's faith in 343 took a hit. Hardware situation is the opposite to Sony for me. Still need games to push it though.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I don't think Sony has made the case for PS5 either, especially if it's going to be 500-600$. With the release of Death Stranding and Horizon on PC I feel more comfortable than ever using PC exclusively, but even if I weren't there doesn't seem to be much reason to buy one at launch.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France

Yeah, there is a chance Lockhart will launch later (sometime in 2021?), so I'm curious to see a) how they will market it and b) what exclusives (1st party or 2nd/3rd party) will serve as incentives at that time.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I think what Sony's shown so far has been pretty good but not "Holy shit I need a PS5 now!" good. Difference is MS has a lot more to prove right now since their first party hasn't been in a good state since the Kinect days. Naturally people are gonna give Sony the benefit of the doubt.
With how people switched to X360 after the massive success of PS2, I don't even think this is the case. Sure, there's some PS4 success carry-over, PS5 controller and console trended on twitter. But if the games day one are terrible, it would be a crapfest for Sony.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
MS solidified my position that any Xbox content I want I'll buy on my PC. Gamepass is obviously great in terms of value, but I don't consume games on that level. In fact for the 3 month sub I had last year it made everything feel mostly disposable. I'm increasingly selective of the games I buy nowadays and I can't say I've made a purchase I regretted in years. And I typically buy games on heavy discount since I usually buy every console ( I only briefly owned Xb1X and sold it within a year) on top of a decent rig.

Sony FWIW hasn't sold me on PS5 either as anything I need to buy for a year or two. There's no 'Breath of the Wild' level game based on my own tastes that has me remotely interested in buying a launch console. Do I see stuff I'd buy if I owned the console? Sure. Stuff I'd buy a console for? Nope, not yet. Really the one game that wowed me yesterday in a 'that's next gen!' kind of way was the Medium......and I can get that on PC.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I think for Xbox diehards they made the case. I don't think they made the case for the people who prefer a different ecosystem to make a switch or jump in. Game Pass is the biggest case maker, but if you're a fan of Sony or Nintendo you can't play Sony or Nintendo games on Game Pass so that's why it doesn't move the needle in terms of selling consoles.

I have been using an Xbox as my primary gaming platform since 2001 when the first Xbox came out.

I am at this point probably leaning towards a PS5 to start.

Right now the Series X just seems like an even better One X.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Neither MS or Sony made me feel like I need to go out and purchase their hardware the first year and that's ok. It usually takes a couple of years for a new gen to get fully underway.

I honestly think they could have stretched this gen out 1 more year and things would have been fine. Consoles would have launched with more exclusive games I think.

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
And why would that crowd drop $300 this fall on new hardware if they can play that stuff on PS4/XboxOne/PC?

The only point I am trying to make is that MS is still trying to sell you hardware. Seems like people try and hand wave a potentially poor showing away like "they don't really care if you buy an xbox", well yeah, they really do. Xbox hardware is still the best trojan horse for getting people into their ecosystem and into GamePass for them.

Because little Billy wants the new Xbox but Grandma doesn't want to dish out $500? Also, I don't know why you're containing sales to just this fall.

I do agree with your point though for the most part. I still haven't quite figured out why they are putting forth so much effort into the Series X when all of their first party games are going to be on PC. Also, I'm definitely not hand waving away their lack luster games showcase. Overall, I think their marketing and messaging are odd right now. It seems like they have no idea what they want or what they should focus on other than getting people to sub to Game Pass.

I have been using an Xbox as my primary gaming platform since 2001 when the first Xbox came out.

I am at this point probably leaning towards a PS5 to start.

I'm in the same boat. You could say I'm an Xbox diehard I guess. Up until this games showcase I was going to get a Series X. Now, I don't really see the point. It seems like most first party titles that will take advantage of the hardware won't be coming out for a couple of years. In the meantime, I can pick up a PS5 and play the first party Microsoft titles on my 5700.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Like others have said, I don't feel like either MS or Sony has really shown enough to really make the case for next gen at this point. It's definitely a game taste thing as I know both have shown games that a lot of people are looking forward to but for me really none of them moved the needle beyond "oh that looks kinda cool." But I'm also maybe a bit weird in that 1st party offerings traditionally don't appeal to me that much (outside of Nintendo anyways) and so I'm more interested to see what indies and 3rd party brings to the table later.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

Couldn't the same be said about the PS4 Pro and PS5? I hate to be an "ssd is magic sauce" guy, but the SSD's will bring huge QoL improvements alone and the new consoles are more powerful than the ones currently out. I just feel like people are expecting too much right at launch. It's usually pretty baron out the gate. I didn't get a PS4 until late 2018 because it took that long for the console to have enough games for me to justify the purchase. Plus the Spider-Man $199 bundle was too good to pass up lol.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Microsoft just needed one Game that looks amazing on Series X, and i was really thinking it's gonna be Halo, to be honest. That Halo would be something like Botw was for the Switch, but i guess, they dont wanna use the power of the Series X?

The whole messaging is really confusing to me. Series X was announced 2 years ago, right? I mean, not officially, but they announced it as a Project, right? What was the point? Why are they releasing it this year, if they dont care where you play the games, as long as you use Gamepass? They are saying they dont care for console wars, but at the same time cant stop talking having the strongest console, which they have, buying time-exclusive games, saying you will be able to play games on xbox one, but then saying also games are being made exclusive for series x. It sounds almost like they are not so sure what they wanna do, or is it just cause the Series X games will take a while?

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Im pretty sure Demon's Souls wasnt a CG trailer, that was the old game's pre-rendered opening cutscene remade and running in Bluepoint's engine. Look at the screenshots from the game, those are the actual gameplay assets we are seeing in that trailer
Yeah I believe either Digital Foundry or someone else was actually able to nitpick certain parts of the trailer which I don't think would be the case if it was full CG. Plus the different screen shots being 4K and 1440p.