• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Watch Dogs: Legion, the third in Ubisoft's urban open world series, has a game-breaking bug at launch on Xbox One X that makes progress in its campaign impossible. Ubisoft is working to remedy the matter in a hotfix due at the end of this week.

The issue occurs around 6-8 hours into the main campaign (during a mission called - I kid you not - 404) upon which players are told their console is to shut down, as it's designed to, because of overheating - which it duly does. It's an issue we've anecdotally heard has happened to multiple reviewers of the game on Xbox One X - Ubisoft's recommended platform for reviewers.

Other platforms appear unaffected by the specific issue, though members of the Eurogamer team have reported more minor bugs with the PS4 Pro build.

Ubisoft is currently working to rectify the matter. "We're aware of this issue and there will be a hot fix due to be released on 30th October which should help," the company said in an official statement.

www.eurogamer.net

Watch Dogs: Legion has a game-breaking bug on Xbox One X

UPDATE: The offending bug has indeed been removed - and a day before expected. We've since verified that it no longer e…

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Ubisoft as always.

Now waiting to see how they are going to fuck up Valhalla.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
We reviewed it on Xbox One X and didn't have this issue which is odd.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
if this is was good marketing, it'd crash on every platform

Ubisoft ain't that slick

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Wait:
"The issue occurs around 6-8 hours into the main campaign (during a mission called - I kid you not - 404) upon which players are told their console is to shut down, as it's designed to, because of overheating - which it duly does."

You mean, that the game is doing something to the console that it actually overheats to shut down the console? And it (the game) was designed to do that? what?

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
So the mission bug causes the console to actually overheat at that one point in time or does it just shut your console down as if it did overheat(but didn't) due to some misaligned string of code?

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Heads up everyone. A hot fix is coming Oct 30 for this issue. And a second belief patch on Nov 9. But look at how badly the game crashes on my PC in my review :/

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
That's wild. People throw around "unplayable" a lot these days, but in this case it's totally accurate.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wait:
"The issue occurs around 6-8 hours into the main campaign (during a mission called - I kid you not - 404) upon which players are told their console is to shut down, as it's designed to, because of overheating - which it duly does."

You mean, that the game is doing something to the console that it actually overheats to shut down the console? And it (the game) was designed to do that? what?
Yeah, I don't really understand what that line's trying to convey.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

After my first read I thought that the mission was designed to cause overheat xD

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds ridiculous all around. Kinda worried a lot of games coming out in the next month will be buggier than usual given such an important stretch of development is being hit by covid + having to hit so many versions. Hope this is just an outlier.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Overheating error? Wouldn't be the first. Battlefront 2 had this problem massively when you're extremely close to a massive explosion, as well as Kingdom Hearts 3 when a specific effect showering attack happened.

But if you know where exactly it happens you can overcome it by pressing the Xbox button or holding it for the shut down overlay so you have the overlay in front of whatever causes the problem/stresses the cpu and it doesn't overheat in that moment.

If you're affected by this, try this.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Weird wording. The in-game mission tells the player the console is overheating and will shut down? Or is the Xbox just overheating during a specific mission?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Wait:

My mind is stuck on this part too. I'm sitting here like

giphy.gif

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Yeah, I don't really understand what that line's trying to convey.
i think it's badly written, i parsed it as:

at the end of this mission some bug in the game causes my console to overheat. the console shuts down to protect itself from overheating (as it is designed to do).

i don't think it's some kind of meta thing that the game is doing, it's just bugged.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

at the end of this mission some bug in the game causes my console to overheat. the console shuts down to protect itself from overheating (as it is designed to do).

i don't think it's some kind of meta thing that the game is doing, it's just bugged.

Most likely the Xbox One UI popping up saying it's overheating. I think I remember that on my partners old fucked Xbox.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The text just says that it overheats in the middle of the mission where the Xbox simply shuts off and after reboot the usual overheating message appears.

1cuAaV5.png

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is this a joke that I don't get or the game really makes our consoles so hot to turn them off?! Or Xbox One X is a smart creature and when it hears the story of that mission, it gets it serious and becomes so hot?

Most likely the Xbox One UI popping up saying it's overheating. I think I remember that on my partners old fucked Xbox.
The text just says that the usual overheating message appears in the middle of the mission, nothing else.
Oh! Now I get it. :|

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
That's a shame and doesn't bode well for Valhalla. Hopefully something that is patched for day 1.

Now I'm wondering if these (now deleted) tweets were referring to WDL or something else, as from what I can gather it wasn't reviewed on the Series X:

Screenshot_2020-10-28_at_11.29.17.png

Screenshot_2020-10-28_at_11.29.34.png

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A hot fix doesn't sound like what this needs.

Or maybe it's exactly what it needs.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Is this a joke that I don't get or the game really makes our consoles so hot to turn them off

It doesn't even make the console hot or anything. I know the ins and outs with this error from a hand full of other games.
It's probably one specific effect, very close to your screen that stresses the CPU very hard for just a split second that the console shuts off.

Also know this from my old PC which did the same every time at the end of a Dota 2 game where the explosion happened. xD

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah these late gen games are really pushing the current gen systems, glad the next wave of consoles is almost here.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia

Oh! What's in the OP reads like it's some kind of ingame mission that shuts down the console, Kojima style lol.
They better fix it fast.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I love it, its a shame a cool moment...like this gets spoiled because of a bug. I love stuff like this, like Arkham Asylum does to you too.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
This is ridiculous. The game actually overheats the console at the point where they are breaking the 4th wall with an error message that your console is about to shutdown because of overheating?

Surely this is more than just a simple coincidence.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't even make the console hot or anything. I know the ins and outs with this error from a hand full of other games.
It's probably one specific effect, very close to your screen that stresses the CPU very hard for just a split second that the console shuts off.

Also know this from my old PC which did the same every time at the end of a Dota 2 game where the explosion happened. xD
Thanks.
I didn't know about this error and at the same time, the mission is called "404" and that was so strange for me! lol