Jam

Oct 25, 2017
What a bizarre thing to do.

Of all the toxicity with FIFA, the fucking shush and a-ok celebrations are nothing. Who asked for this change?

Like fine whatever, I'll live without them they aren't big deals but I just can't wrap my head around why? Bizarre.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really agree with taking the shush animation out but even so it's completely pointless when you're adding the Mbappe crying one in. That one is probably going to wind people up even more.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
This is stupid.

Allowing people to skip celebration would be actually the better option here. You can even keep it for the side that scored and just have a different camera view for the other side. Or show some decent stats instead. Or make the replay an educative one, pointing out what went wrong. So many possible options.

After 100 games it gets kind of boring to see the same celebrations and replays anyhow.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just take all the celebrations out of online play. They are time wasting trash. Just go from goal to kick off. Get rid of the odious replays too and just have an option to view them after the match.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
This is pathetic. Does nothing to address any actual problems with abuse and harassment and muddies the waters of what genuinely toxic community interactions look like.

Celebrations are a huge part of football. If you don't want someone to "toxic"ly celebrate: Don't let them score.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Insane. The celebrations aren't what's toxic here. It's the lack of in-game moderation within a game that allows such extensive expression. Folks can make racist shit in pro clubs, for instance. Folks can chat shit on mic and no one will ever do anything because no one reviews the reports.

This is the wrong move. They're taking the fun out of the game as a means of distracting from the fact that they aren't putting in the resources to combat this toxicity directly.

They need more FIFA moderators and in-game systems that promote pro-social behaviour between players (e.g. commendation systems in other games, sportsmanship ratings etc).

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
B4jmVdh.gif

Best ever

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Insane. The celebrations aren't what's toxic here. It's the lack of in-game moderation within a game that allows such extensive expression. Folks can make racist shit in pro clubs, for instance. Folks can chat shit on mic and no one will ever do anything because no one reviews the reports.

This is the wrong move. They're taking the fun out of the game as a means of distracting from the fact that they aren't putting in the resources to combat this toxicity directly.

They need more FIFA moderators and in-game systems that promote pro-social behaviour between players (e.g. commendation systems in other games, sportsmanship ratings etc).

EA: But.... but that means we actually have to do something?

seroun

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
tumblr_ndeadiJeWY1t52aheo2_500.gif

Why remove it? It's a classic. There are other things that impact a game's toxicity more than an emote/celebration.

Oct 27, 2017
Just take all the celebrations out of online play. They are time wasting trash. Just go from goal to kick off. Get rid of the odious replays too and just have an option to view them after the match.

This is the correct answer.

Remove the celebrations if you want, but do it as part of a wider measure to remove all of this time wasting bullshit, not because you want to pretend to care about toxicity.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
What annoys me infinitely more than the celebrations are the infinite amount of replays and other cinematics before a match even starts. Too many assholes who wanna waste your time watching all of those. When my opponent scores I don't need to watch half a minute worth of replays, and I don't need to see an overview of the stadium with the players warming up before every match.

Fully agree but you know, that cost money and EA doesn't like spending that when they don't need to.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
" We were told by the community " they are being told about worst things than this by the community but they won't do squat about those.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
They'll move on to something else. What a stupid move. Then again this is the company that removed skipping replays.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
Taunting doesn't even enter my mind when I think of the best things about football. Like what?
After tactics and genius passes, it is for me. Whether it is real football or video games, I love taunting my friends when I do an extraordinary move or being taunted because I got owned or missed something. Even taunting opposite supporters while not insulting them. You know, some light-hearted fun. But I understand in this day and age many things can be seen as insulting but let's incriminate the act and not the disproportionate reaction 🤷‍♂️

90% of FIFA online players are not grown people though.
So we should hide the problem with a half-assed solution not really solve it right ? Skipping celebrations all together in order to keep the pace of games and have a better moderated online space would have more sense but, yeah, let's withdraw some celebrations to "fight toxicity"...

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
So we should hide the problem with a half-assed solution not really solve it right ? Skipping celebrations all together in order to keep the pace of games and have a better moderated online space would have more sense but, yeah, let's withdraw some celebrations to "fight toxicity"...

if you'd bothered to read the actual article, you'd see that they've also made some updates to dramatically reduce the time for some of these non-playable sections and improve the pace of the game.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Is the cupping of the ear celebration still in the game?

I still just do the dead fish celebration anyways.

Ricky

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Why remove something that the players really do?

Soft.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a weird defensive way to reply to my comment about how most FIFA players are just dumb teenagers.

Euan_1981

Apr 23, 2018
Not gonna lie, the sush and cupped ear celebrations do get our backs up when playing pro on fifa! Just makes us play harder though!

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
if you'd bothered to read the actual article, you'd see that they've also made some updates to dramatically reduce the time for some of these non-playable sections and improve the pace of the game.

I was talking about skipping them altogether but yeah, I can't read 🤷‍♂️ And (not dramatically) reducing the animations makes the pacing problem still here online.

What a weird defensive way to reply to my comment about how most FIFA players are just dumb teenagers.

How is it defensive ? I shouldn't have replied?

Last edited:

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
Fans complained to EA that certain celebrations or acts were toxic, or were commonly abused by trolls. EA has listened to fans by removing them and shortening the lengths of some celebrations.
and people are seriously complaining here?

What's wrong with some of you?
Honestly anyone getting that rattled by someone doing a 'shh' celebration that they want it removed probably has bigger issues.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fans complained to EA that certain celebrations or acts were toxic, or were commonly abused by trolls. EA has listened to fans by removing them and shortening the lengths of some celebrations.
and people are seriously complaining here?

What's wrong with some of you?

Why?
Nothing wrong with me.

I'm just not marshmallow soft.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
A year ago EA started off FIFA 19 by allowing people to skip replays whether they scored or conceded. Then randomly EA reversed it like a week into the game. If you want people to stop being toxic, allow people to skip replays and celebrations. They are dumb. The constant shushing back and forth is dumb. Also stop putting rewards into the game which are celebrations that last a full minute and serve no other purpose than to increase toxicity. Seriously there are celebrations that mime cats and fish that last I swear two full minutes. I might as well go take a crap if I concede.

It's just a waste of time? It's essentially tea bagging someone after you kill them in a competitive shooter.

If they want to sell these things then maybe let the conceder have an option to 'mute' celebrations - just cut away to the scoreboard until the scorer is done

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe I misread, and if that's the case I'm sorry.

When I read your post seemed like you were implying I was somehow justifying this decision.

When saying that 90% of the players are teenagers (which is true, I was one of them 6 years ago ^^ ), I thought you were yeah. You were just picking the word "grown", I was more thinking "reasonable" than "adult"

sHitman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Never ubderstood why they wouldn't add an option to not see these animations after a goal. Let one have its the other one ignore it. Just focus the camera on something else.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Nothing wrong with me.

I'm just not marshmallow soft.

Some people aren't you. I'm garbo at the game, I don't need to concede a goal and then have someone shush me when it deflected off of three defenders and warped through VVD's foot. I guess that makes me soft, but this world is shit as it is, I don't need it to be shit when playing a football game.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When saying that 90% of the players are teenagers (which is true, I was one of them 6 years ago ^^ ), I thought you were yeah. You were just picking the word "grown", I was more thinking "reasonable" than "adult"
Gotcha, then it was just a misunderstanding from us both lol, everything's cool :)

Oct 27, 2017
They are a waste of time after goals and slows the game down, get rid of the entire system. I hate when I accidentally start doing lame shit because I'm pressing A trying to get back into play.