Status
Not open for further replies.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
www.eurogamer.net

Black Myth Wukong won't be on Xbox at launch

Black Myth Wukong won't be available on Xbox at launch. The Soulslike game from Chinese developer Game Science is now a…

"PC and PS5 users can enjoy the full game starting August 20, 2024," reads the full statement. "We are currently optimising the Xbox Series X/S version to meet our quality standards, so it won't release simultaneously with the other platforms. We apologise for the delay and aim to minimize the wait for Xbox users. We will announce the release date as soon as it meets our quality standards."

Lastly, while the game is available physically, this won't actually include a disc. "It is the first time for Game Science to release a console game globally, and we are currently facing limitations in offline resources required for the import, export, transportation, distribution, and sales of physical discs," reads the statement from Game Science. "These factors have made it difficult for us to sell physical discs simultaneously with the official release of the game. Our publishing team is actively working on resolving these issues and exploring options to offer physical discs.

Xbox gotta adjust the Series S release requirements at some point man

Also... If you can only do a code in a box, don't release a "physical" copy. Hopefully they offer physical discs down the line if their "exploration" of it goes well.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Ah, well then, I can wait while they keep patching the game and print a proper physical PS5 version.

poklane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Will be pretty interesting if we're gonna see this more often if xbox sales don't pick up but playstation 5 pro does well.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
So you are just buying a box? Get a cheap case, print own cover and digitally buy the game

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
Why don't they just release it digitally and then do a physical launch later once they've "sorted out the logistics"

The4thJeazy

May 14, 2020
I actually wish more devs would do this for collectors editions so I can get the physical goods and just download the digital copy

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
This game feels like it's been jank dressed up as an eye candy game in a bunch of tiny ways since it was revealed and everything I hear about it just keeps proving that thesis

OP
OP
stopmrdomino

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
Have there been that many Switch games to do it outside the type of games that do it on other platforms (Fortnite, Just Dance, etc)?
PURELY code in a box, no. But plenty of game "collections" like Resident Evil Origins, Borderlands, Bioshock, FFX+X2 collection, etc have a single game on the cart and the others on a download code

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly... Im also sorta curious about PS5 technical performance. Graphically the game looks impressive but its gonna be lame if the console version aint 60FPS... (and a solid 60FPS at that).
Definitely a game Id wait on the DF vid for.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thought abouty ordering it from my game shop on ps5, but no way in hell i'm going for a code in a box. Maybe on pc at some point then.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Honestly... Im also sorta curious about PS5 technical performance. Graphically the game looks impressive but its gonna be lame if the console version aint 60FPS... (and a solid 60FPS at that).
Definitely a game Id wait on the DF vid for.

Apparently the demo event in China was a less stable 60fps but the Gamescom one was much better and stable, so fingers crossed.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
In all honesty if the one place where the budget started running low was for printing physical copies, I'm not too mad at that. But the Xbox thing, woof...... Hopefully the wait ain't too long.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the demo event in China was a less stable 60fps but the Gamescom one was much better and stable, so fingers crossed.
Interesting. Well hopefully that's true then. Im just always a bit pessimistic when some of these games are shown and look rather nice, my first thought is always "but hows performance". If they can get a fairly decent 60FPS that would be great.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Was just rewatching the SGF early stream as I missed 30 mins and was generally shocked it wasn't coming on Xbox day one.

Hopefully it comes to those platform holders not too long on release.
Code in a box is an absolute no for me on PS5 (and not sure it will run 60 either). Going to be on my decent PC though.

Jun 2, 2019
And just like that, my interest in this game is gone. There are enough Soulslike games to play anyway while they make up their minds.

And even Alan Wake 2 ended up getting a physical edition, so just wait a little. Don't fall for this.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
I read nowhere that it is series s that's the problem. Could be that whole Xbox platform is the problem. Or just not a big enough team to focus on optimising against 4 profiles.

Oct 27, 2017
I read nowhere that it is series s that's the problem. Could be that whole Xbox platform is the problem. Or just not a big enough team to focus on optimising against 4 profiles.
I'm assuming they just don't have the Xbox platform as a priority due to marketing metrics showing little hype in the US. They may also be running into the limit of how many developers they have and how many platforms they can optimize for.

The fact that they just have a code in the box does suggests that they're being really frugal with where they spend their resources.

It is possible that Series S power is challenging them but then it's also likely that they'll want to target a hardware spec that a large number of Chinese PC gamers have. I guess we'll find out when we see how well the PC version scales.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, codes in a box?! The industry needs to look at what Larien did with BG3 and take serious notes. 2 discs on PS5, 3 on Xbox and they charged only a tad more than the new normal of 69.99. Completely worth it despite the delays they've had in getting them finished.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
8t791p.jpg

Stop doing this!

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
I am hoping the XBS would act as an anchor to force third parties make low fidelity preset and thus keeping the possibility of handheld port. I wish not too many devs skips low fidelity profiles..

Onvious

Nov 16, 2019
I have a question, this game requires 1060 for medium/1080p on Pc. I thought series s gpu is much stronger than 1060. Why are they skipping xbox coz of series s? Is there a something wrong with S ?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yup, not sure why the article or this thread is speculating that Series S is the issue here. The PC minimum specs are wayyyy below the Series S.

The likelihood is that they only had enough to focus on a limited number of platforms and the install base of XBox makes it an easy lowest priority.

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
I have a question, this game requires 1060 for medium/1080p on Pc. I thought series s gpu is much stronger than 1060. Why are they skipping xbox coz of series s? Is there a something wrong with S ?

delayed, not skipped. most likely because of ram I guess. minimum specs require 16GB while Series S has only 10GB.

TheSantry

Dec 25, 2017
Could be another BG3 situation? I wonder how long it will be before developers decide the Series S accommodations aren't worth the time and start axing the Xbox versions all together. With Xbox being such a small percentage of the overall gaming market it wouldn't really feel like much money is being left on the table. The power divide is going to be more noticeable when PS5 Pro hits and that's only going to further hurt Series S if Pro sells well. I guess we will see in the next year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.