• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
lol. as if i want to travel to communist EUssia anyway. Why don't you MARRY your silly union, since you LOVE it so much!!!!!

USA!!
USA!
US

(breaks down into ugly sad man tears)

this is embarrassing.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Worthwhile considering but whether those type of US travellers are more of a risk than others, I don't know.

I doubt the UK would do it and the virus could come from there afterwards. Quite the shit show.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Of course this is the right move, but it has to go both ways and they need to ensure they are banning travel to the US as well, since obviously that's a pretty easy way to bring back large outbreaks of COVID. You can't be like "Americans can't come to France, but we'll allow the French to travel to the US and bring back the virus with them". I'm sure this goes without saying, but I just don't see it in the article anywhere. It would be ridiculous to ban American travelers from coming to the EU, but not ban EU citizens from traveling to America, right?

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
We're fucking morons who let a minor face mask that could protect a lot of us become a partisan issue. Ban all of us, these dumb shits included. We can't be trusted to manage this correctly.

God yes, This couldn't be any more fucking true. Too many of us americans are spoiled, entitled shits that think our privilege to be morons extends to anywhere we go, so I could easily see them bringing the virus to other countries due out of sheer wilful spite of not wearing a mask or taking other precautions. That's not to say that there aren't stupid people in the EU that mirror people here (Looking at you France), but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad.

I say ban the fuck out of us there, will help keep others in the EU countries safer.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course this is the right move, but it has to go both ways and they need to ensure they are banning travel to the US as well, since obviously that's a pretty easy way to bring back large outbreaks of COVID. You can't be like "Americans can't come to France, but we'll allow the French to travel to the US and bring back the virus with them". I'm sure this goes without saying, but I just don't see it in the article anywhere. It would be ridiculous to ban American travelers from coming to the EU, but not ban EU citizens from traveling to America, right?

I don't have a handle on France's current numbers but most of the EU is doing quite well. I would say people coming into the US should probably be tested though so as not to further increase the case spread here.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Hopefully they don't half-ass it. The reason why the virus spreaded rapidly especially in Italy was because they banned their direct flights to or from China, but let people who where in China weeks before come in through other countries unchecked. Europe can't make the same mistake again, otherwise all the lockdowns were for nothing.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They should, but isnt france saying "fuck it" basically and not wearing masks either?
Yes, and no, in that the situations aren't really comparable right now. There was this lamentable display a couple of days back that might bite everyone in the ass a few weeks down the line, but depending on the places, people still wear masks, and masks are mandatory in some places. The country has been reopened to a degree for six weeks now, and it's kind of stressful to see it opening up progressively, trying to be careful while (mostly young) people are being absolutely careless.

Taking a wider view, it's gone way down in continental Europe and has been mostly stable. France has stabilized for weeks at at a rolling average of ~500 new daily cases, Italy is at ~300, and Spain at ~400. Germany was at 250 before a recent localized surge.
The most worrying European country right now is probably UK, whose downward slope is way slower than in other countries.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
As an American, it's unfortunately the responsible thing to do. Those countries have a responsibility to put the safety of their citizens first and we're not handling it well at all.

As someone who was hoping to take a honeymoon to Italy, I just hope they start letting us back in by the end of the year.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Legit can't blame you guys, America's a mess right now.

And it's not even necessarily all of America, but enough to sink the whole boat. I know Cuomo talked about potentially shutting down Florida-NY travel because of how badly Florida's fucked up, and shit I can't blame that either.

BillerBomber

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Don't be too harsh on yourself guys, lots of places in Europe aren't on the best trajectory either. To facemask or not to facemask is a hot topic in my country too (sadly in favor of the no face mask side).

Minarik

Nov 9, 2017
American here. Fucking do it. Get Canada and Mexico to ban US travelers too. The ensuing Trump meltdown would be delicious.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Are you people insane?! Don't just consider, fucking DO it. American here and so many people aren't taking this seriously even though we have had healthy people die from it in my community. For the love of god protect yourselves from our stupidity.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
The European Union plans to ban travel from the US when it reopens its borders on July 1st because of the Trump administration's poor handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a report from The New York Times.

Under current plans, the US would join Brazil and Russia on the list of forbidden countries, as all three countries have had comparably poor responses to the virus since the worldwide outbreak at the beginning of the year. Travel from China, as well as some developing countries, will be allowed, the report states.

www.theverge.com

The EU plans to ban US travelers indefinitely after haphazard COVID-19 response

The US has utterly failed to contain the novel coronavirus

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god. And I live here in California. This whole country needs to be banned till a vaccine is viable.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
I wish I could leave this country! Can I partake as an asylum migrant??? What a shithole of a response to the pandemic by this country... never thought we would stoop lower than a 3rd world country

Nov 1, 2017
Considering how the States appears to be down playing and given up on the whole combating it thing I don't blame the EU. I expect Canada to keep the border shut pretty tight as well.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I wish this would get through to some people on how badly we've done with the virus but they'll probably shift the blame somewhere else as always. I'd block us too.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Smart decision. With the current US lack of leadership, its only going to get worse.