Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017

If you're familiar with Etika then you're no stranger to the fact that he frequently uses the word in his videos. A lot. Like, I don't think there's a single video where he doesn't say it.

But you can tell he really cares about preserving the word. I tend to see a lot of white people say they find his vids awkward to watch because of his excessive use of the word, but like, isn't that on you and not him? Maybe you should think about why you personally find it awkward.

Twitter deleting posts that use the hard r is one thing but this is more systematic of a bigger problem, one that I don't think the team at Twitter really understand.

Last edited:

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always appreciated his passion. I used to think a lot of his enthusiasm was fake but he's just an insane hype beast.

Don't really have much to add on the subject except that the temp-ban was ridiculous.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The problem is that it was shown again and again that twitter does not understand about ANYTHING related to use of hate speech =/

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Etika is unironically one of the best YouTuber out there. He may look ridiculous for a lot of people but he's passionate and really caring about his public. He's a breath of fresh air in the sea of white alt-right assholes.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This would be reeeeeeemotely understandable had Twitter been taking a hardline stance against these slurs and hate speech. Then we'd be talking about reclaiming words etc

When they have white supremacists, homophobes, transphobes and misogynists still posting freely on their platform, though, this is a low fucking blow

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Etika is unironically one of the best YouTuber out there. He may look ridiculous for a lot of people but he's passionate and really caring about his public. He's a breath of fresh air in the sea of white alt-right assholes.
This. fuck Twitter for banning him too. Guy brought a lot of positivity and Twitter is a lesser place without him.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To clarify, no he's not banned, his account is limited so people may not be able to see some of his tweets nor will he be able to interact with some people as well. It's like putting a person in timeout.

The problem is that it was shown again and again that twitter does not understand about ANYTHING related to use of hate speech =/
Truth. If you say something bad about TERFs on Twitter, there's a chance you'll get your account limited by Twitter. It's something I see often from people I follow. This can even be a coordinated attack of mass reporting to get the person's account limited or suspended for daring to say something about TERFs.

Or a recent example. One of my good friends on Twitter recently had some choice words to say about GOG over their transphobia, and his account was limited. His tweets got a lot of attention for the GOG screencap that's being used around the internet.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's worth mentioning that Twitch has permabanned Etika for the exact same (dumb) reason, which is why all his stuff is done through YouTube now.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I tend to see a lot of white people say they find his vids awkward to watch because of his fragrant use of the word, but like, isn't that on you and not him? Maybe you should think about why you personally find it awkward.
For me it feels awkward because the word is still synonymous with racism.

I don't have a problem at all with people of colour using the term if they really want to but regardless it makes me feel uncomfortable whenever I hear it.

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
Thats a damn shame i was lucky enough to meet him in person he is easily one of the nicest guys i have had the privilege of meeting and really cares about his fans.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm... They tell him he Violated terms for hateful conduct, but show no evidence of hateful conduct.

If they are going to ignore context, they might as well stop policing their site, because actual hateful commentary persists daily... Often without Key words to trigger any alarms.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it great living in a world where all major social medias and gaming career services are ran by inept cowardly white men with no morals that love hate speech

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
My youngest brother watches this dude and even got his haircut lol...

His Smash reactions are all I've seen and they're pretty funny, adds to the hype.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I am white and raised in Europe in a country that is predominantly white, so I do not feel informed and sensitive enough to say anything about the controversy, but I know one thing. The guy has just got himself another subscriber.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Twitter is an absolute shitshow. Love Etika and it sucks he got banned, even temporarily, for something like this when hate speech like Alex Jones was allowed for so long.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This. The guy is a beast of hype. I love seeing his reactions the most, they're really funny

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I recognize him but I didn't know him by name so I clicked this thread expecting a white kid whining about the world being unfair.
Yeah, this ban was absurd.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Etika is great. Some of his stuff is a little close to the bone (not his language though), but I love his passion for stuff.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I hope he gets this sorted without much problem.
Absolutely loved his Nintendo direct live reactions and Xenoblade2 lp.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Damn Twitter smh, this definitely came outta nowhere. I'm very curious who at Twitter caused him the 7 day ban?

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
Big fan of Etika because he's just so unapologetically himself. People thought he was a fake after his mewtwo and cloud videos blew up but he doesn't react like that to everything. When he doesn't care, he shows he doesn't care, no big deal. Honestly a big problem with a lot of YouTubers, especially when it comes to Smash reactions. The fakery is so telling lol

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm stepping on a land mine here but am I supposed to be angry that someone got banned for frequent use of a racial slur? I know its 'okay' for black people to say it but I'm not exactly sure why I should feel angry over this.

That said, Twitter should have banned thousands of racist, hateful assholes years ago, and I will not fucking defend Twitter for that.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
This is a black dude, right? Fuck that then, he has every right to use that word.

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like twitter's censor is operated by an algorithm rather than a human.

There's a lot if context you'd have to miss in order to ban this person.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm stepping on a land mine here but am I supposed to be angry that someone got banned for frequent use of a racial slur? I know its 'okay' for black people to say it but I'm not exactly sure why I should feel angry over this.

That said, Twitter should have banned thousands of racist, hateful assholes years ago, and I will not fucking defend Twitter for that.
Beyond the fact that as a black person he should be treated differently from white supremacists (which if I understand correctly some of them may not even have been banned...), there's a clear distinction between two forms of the N-word that he goes into in the video.
As a white person not living in the U.S. I admit I wasn't fully aware of this distinction either but after hearing his explanation it makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He's a cool guy but needs to chill the fuck out, he's scaring me.

I do very much agree with his point though, fucking Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.