• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Please reach out to those closest to you, like your little brother, and let them know what you're going through.

This isn't the end, I promise.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
If you need a job and youre willing to brave the cold of Minnesota, private message me. I can probably get you a job. Please dont call it quits now.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Nah, that ain't the path, OP. Everyone here is in your corner and all the requisite phone numbers have been provided so I won't repeat those. I'll leave you with a poem that I memorized more than a decade ago and think about to this day regularly when I'm struggling. I hope it helps you or someone else:

Keep Going.

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must—but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up, though the pace seems slow—
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor's cup,
And he learned too late, when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out—
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit—
It's when things seem worst that you mustn't quit.

- Edgar A. Guest

Don't quit.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey LexingtonKruger, thank you for reaching out to us. It takes an incredible strength to be able to share these sentiments with us, and I'm glad that you did. It's very understandable to feel lost and hopeless when you're about to lose a job, but you've already shown so much strength and perseverance, I know that you can make it through this too.

I think it's incredible that you've managed to write an entire book and tackle college while working part-time. Those are impressive feats that you should be proud of. I know that it can feel a little disappointing to have to leave school for a bit for any reason, but you can manage to go back to college at some point in the future, and we can help you figure what steps might be helpful for you to take. There might be options for financial assistance for both housing, unemployment, as well as helping you go back to college. There are times specifically where people aren't aware of what options are actually available to them for financing college until they actually apply for it. I would really recommend emailing someone at your community college from the financial aid department and seeing how they can help you.

Would you be willing to call either your therapist, psychiatrist, or your counselor? We care about you and we are always here for you to help you figure things out, but they can help you with these more immediate feelings and figure out what your first step should be. If not, I would really recommend calling one of these lines.

1-800-273-8255 (Suicide Prevention Lifeline)
(212) 673-3000 (Samaritans of New York)
Text HOME to 741741 (https://www.crisistextline.org/ Crisis Text Line
) - This one is really useful if you find it hard to talk about these feelings out loud and is still fully staffed with people who are here to help you

crowphoenix

Oct 27, 2017
You made it this far. That's quite an accomplishment. You did that. You should be proud of that. Life is hard. It's difficult. I know, and I'm sorry it looks so bleak right now.

But...There have to be other options. I know you've looked, but I bet that together, we could find something.

There's no shame in getting knocked down. There is no shame in asking for help. So, please, hang on for a bit longer.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
You'll only pass that suffering on. It doesn't end just because you do. That's why you have to claim it as your own and turn it into something positive, as hard as that may be, as impossible as it may seem. Just take it one step at a time, as small as those steps might be. Be excellent to yourself.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Don't let anxiety be the thing that does you in OP. You have a life to live, and you can give help to people that need it. Even if you think you don't have any worth, there are people who would see you as valuable as gold.

Before giving up, and before giving up on getting help, maybe try helping someone that you think needs it.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Keep posting in here and talking. I'm sure a lot of us have been there. Please keep posting and listening to what we're saying. There is nowhere to go but up from how you're feeling.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your book is potentially exceptional. Anything can change, and that alone could change your life. Wouldn't you be interested in knowing if it touched people? Please stick around and find out. I'd very much love to read it, seriously.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
You have people in your life that will miss you, and their hearts will be broken over them questioning what the could have done better to help you. Don't do it.

Oct 27, 2017
OP, please heed the other posters' advice.

Been where you are. Still have those thoughts.

I hope the words of encouragement in this thread and advice offered can play a part, even if a small one, in you staying with us.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
OP, please stay. While you are alive, the possibility of things getting better will always exist, and while that possibility exists, it is worth sitting through the pain. You can and will learn to survive and be happy. Please stay, and fight. Fight like hell. You deserve to exist. You've made it this far and you can make it to the end and find your way.

I found a quote by Meggie Royer a little while back that I'm going to post here for you. I really hope this helps and that you stick around

"The morning after I killed myself, I woke up.

I made myself breakfast in bed. I added salt and pepper to my eggs and used my toast for a cheese and bacon sandwich. I squeezed a grapefruit into a juice glass. I scraped the ashes from the frying pan and rinsed the butter off the counter. I washed the dishes and folded the towels.

The morning after I killed myself, I fell in love. Not with the boy down the street or the middle school principal. Not with the everyday jogger or the grocer who always left the avocados out of the bag. I fell in love with my mother and the way she sat on the floor of my room holding each rock from my collection in her palms until they grew dark with sweat. I fell in love with my father down at the river as he placed my note into a bottle and sent it into the current. With my brother who once believed in unicorns but who now sat in his desk at school trying desperately to believe I still existed.

The morning after I killed myself, I walked the dog. I watched the way her tail twitched when a bird flew by or how her pace quickened at the sight of a cat. I saw the empty space in her eyes when she reached a stick and turned around to greet me so we could play catch but saw nothing but sky in my place. I stood by as strangers stroked her muzzle and she wilted beneath their touch like she did once for mine.

The morning after I killed myself, I went back to the neighbors' yard where I left my footprints in concrete as a two year old and examined how they were already fading. I picked a few daylilies and pulled a few weeds and watched the elderly woman through her window as she read the paper with the news of my death. I saw her husband spit tobacco into the kitchen sink and bring her her daily medication.

The morning after I killed myself, I watched the sun come up. Each orange tree opened like a hand and the kid down the street pointed out a single red cloud to his mother.

The morning after I killed myself, I went back to that body in the morgue and tried to talk some sense into her. I told her about the avocados and the stepping stones, the river and her parents. I told her about the sunsets and the dog and the beach.

The morning after I killed myself, I tried to unkill myself, but couldn't finish what I started."

We're here for you OP. Please hang in there..

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have such small time on this earth. Don't lose what little time you have already.

Listen to the people here. Believe it or not, your little brother looks up to you.

At 28 you're still a baby. You will have clarity; give yourself that opportunity.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Era's here for you OP. Reach out, call the number in these posts and don't leave us. You're strong. You'll be ok.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I read somewhere that a person who survived an attempt by falling from a bridge said that while falling, he realized that all of the problems in his life could be fixed... except for jumping off a bridge.

Hang in there OP.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
OP, I know things seem bad now, but believe me, it can always get better. You can't lose hope even if your situation seems impossible. Your brother, Era, we're here to help you.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
Things can really seem hopeless sometimes, but there are people who can help, so don't jump from a bridge. Things will get better.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
OP, I hope you reach out to your counsellor or psychiatrist, or someone in your life. Please don't do this

Oct 27, 2017
The fact you posted this here clearly shows you do not want to do this. Please call someone or talk to us because we are here for you.

OP please don't do it.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who has came very close to killing themself in the past, please consider your other options. Life can be shit sometimes but theres always a better option than suicide. Please call the suicide hotline or your therapist. Check yourself into a hospital if you need to. They will help you!

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone in the NYC/New Jersey area that can possibly meet up with OP and just listen to them? Sometimes just listening to somebody in person is all that's needed to deescalate the situation.

Isak_Borg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I live in NYC and you're more than welcome to crash on my couch if you're looking for a place to stay. If you're also looking for a job I might be able to hook you up.

Call a suicide hotline before anything tho and get yourself straight.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, I contemplate it almost every day. But i am holding on to dear life, holding on to every straw I can grasp. I came close many times but I am still here. I would love it if you would do the same.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
OP, you have a little brother that you are responsible for.

If you commit suicide, you won't suffer anymore, but you're condemning your little brother to literally, a life of suffering, regret, and pain. Your brother will always wonder what he did wrong, if there was something he could have done, if maybe he was a better brother or person or maybe less of a burden, then maybe you'd still be alive and he'd have his big brother there with him. If you commit suicide, you will fuck up his life forever. He will never be the same. You will cause irreparable harm to him, and you'll never be able to fix it. Right now, no matter what, as long as you are here there is a chance, however small, that things will turn around, but once you are gone you will have caused permanent destruction to his life.

Think of your little brother. It's not fair, you didn't ask for it, but you're responsible for him.

ffgameman

Nov 2, 2017
Please don't....if you do, nothing will be left. Suffering is no fun, but you'll miss out on the good that can (and will!) occur in your future. Your little brother loves you and doesn't want to lose you.

Don't let the lack of secondary education worry you. It isn't a necesssity in today's world. But it's admirable that you attempted it (while working) and managed to do so well. That in itself shows your strength and determination.

You are important and loved! We are here for you.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's never worth it, please don't. Even our darkest days have rays of light that we have to cherish.
Your life is valuable no matter what you or anyone else thinks.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Keep fighting. There is always another way, and there are people who love and care about you.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Don't do it, please.

Look at the outpouring of support everyone has given you in an hour, man!

No-one is ever truly alone in this world, even if it seems like it at times. Reaching out to us and us reaching back shows we got your back every step of the way in life!

Hopefully someone nearby on here can assist you with any troubles which you might have.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
OP, it's worth continuing on. Giving up is always the wrong choice at such a young age.

I had some really crappy moments in my late 20s and early 30s. If I had known then how great things would be at 36 I would have slapped myself for all my worries.

Call the numbers people are listing. If you can't do it for yourself right now, do it for your brother. You potentially have 50 more years to experience something amazing. When you're 70, make the judgment then if need be. We literally get ONE chance at this....don't throw it away.

Instead of suicide do something else crazy....like just up and move your whole life on a chance if that's what you need to do. Go somewhere and disappear into trying a new life. Just reach out to that brother when you can and let him know what's up.

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legit worried about the OP. Can we send help for him now? Is there a way we can track him down?

OP, please don't do this.

Oct 27, 2017
We would all be sad if you are gone, so please reconsider it, OP.

As others have said, the grief and pain you feel now won't be gone if you are dead. It will just be passed on to your little brother and everyone that is close to you. Do you really want this?

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I tell you that you are loved? We love you. There are people that love you and care for you. Don't do it.

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
Everyone has been wonderful. Thank you. I have a mile long list of sob stories myself.

I would have to take out massive loans to cover my tuition. I would be looking out taking fifty thousand.

12,000 a year for housing, plus for food. So maybe I would have to take a fifty thousand loan.

Once I complete undergraduate I could live on campus.

I have been given no indication I will be fired. I simply can't mentally and physically continue to do the job. I'm on the verge of breaking down and it will happen as it always does.

I have taken to cutting myself again each day to get through the pain of the job.

I'm so scared.

I won't c all the hotline as I used to call them everyday.
It doesn't help.

Oct 27, 2017
Hi,
You don't know me. But, I've been there. Here's my advice. Take the chance on the loans. Here's why. You can put off that decision, the other one, for a while. Kick the can. Get the loans, go back to school, and try it. Don't worry about the debt, you can't predict what might happen in the future. This might sound weird, but you might find out by taking that chance, the loans and school, things might change. And that's a chance worth taking.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP think of your favorite thing you've ever eaten.

Think of your favorite music you've ever heard.

Think of your favorite scene in a movie ever.

Think of the funniest joke you've ever heard in your life.

If you do this, those things are gone. Think of everything you still have a chance to taste! And think of the music you'll never hear. The movie you'll never see. The laughs you'll never have.

Please don't do this. You have soooo much left to experience, including so so much good stuff.

I understand the struggle but I know there's a better choice for you, I know it.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone has been wonderful. Thank you. I have a mile long list of sob stories myself.

I would have to take out massive loans to cover my tuition. I would be looking out taking fifty thousand.

12,000 a year for housing, plus for food. So maybe I would have to take a fifty thousand loan.

Once I complete undergraduate I could live on campus.

I have been given no indication I will be fired. I simply can't mentally and physically continue to do the job. I'm on the verge of breaking down and it will happen as it always does.

I have taken to cutting myself again each day to get through the pain of the job.

I'm so scared.

I won't c all the hotline as I used to call them everyday.
It doesn't help.

Where do you live? What kind of work would you like to do? Era is full of good people working different careers, there is a huge network here that can help you find something.