Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
Era will have a meltdown if Sekiro or DMC5 is announced as an Epic exclusive. Metro was supposed to be released two weeks from now, so nothing's safe anymore.

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
If I had Epic's money.

Hire top researcher companies to carry out studies into my compition.

Use the results to draw up a list of the best features for the platform.

Hire the best experts to design, implemening and marketing the features and store

With the simple goal, I want gamers looking at the store every day.

if I did not have Epic's money to devlop it, I would have more realist goals then taking on Steam.
Sorry, you are not hired. Consider applying later with a better plan. 😂

Zantagor

Jan 29, 2019
Montreal
The publisher releases the game on the other store. What do we do?
— Oh, I know, I know! Let's write bad review for old games by the developer!

The logic is strong with this one.
Thing is, that's not the real issue at hand here though.
All the other exclusives announced for Epic, I don't really mind, they were announced as exclusive before they went up for pre-order or sale.
The issue here, is doing it for a game that was on pre-order this long, and then pull the bait and switch 2 weeks before release.

I also have the issue for timed exclusive that have a Steam store and hub. Because then it means that the game is sold on Epic store only for now, but still uses the Steam infrastructure (forums, etc) for the users to get "support" from the community. It's just shady as heck.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Era will have a meltdown if Sekiro or DMC5 is announced as an Epic exclusive. Metro was supposed to be released two weeks from now, so nothing's safe anymore.
Ugh. If Sekiro gets moneyhatted I guess I'll pre-order on Steam ASAP before they take it down, then wait for confirmation as to whether my Instant Gaming preorder is gonna be a Steam key or an Epic key, if it's an Epic key I'll cancel the Instant Gaming pre-order, if it's an Steam key I'll cancel the Steam preorder. That's my plan. lol

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Explained it a few times above, sorry, not gonna re-write it. TL;DR:
  1. More stores means they will compete for content creators providing the best resources and service for them.
  2. More developers will try to produce high-quality content to attract those stores.
Basically, stores act as investors in this case.

At the end of the day, the overall content quality grows.

I don't know how many publishers and developers you know personally, but I know a lot. Most of them are happy with the EGS launch and would like to have more stores to choose from.
Feel free to verify your bonafides with an admin of you're going to repeatedly use them as a cudgel.

We've already had one insider turn out to be a fraud within the past 24 hours discussing this very topic.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I do agree that review bombing is a crappy tactic, but thankfully Steam tends to give you the ability to filter those out. I feel like I'm smart enough to know the difference between an actual review and a review bomb. Plus each review has information on the reviewer which I appreciate. You can see how long a reviewer has played the game being reviewed and if the reviewer got the game for free or not.

I'm not really a big fan of completely removing any type of customer response like the epic store currently has done. I'd rather consumers have a voice instead of having none.

If Metro is setting the world ablaze, DMC5 would probably break the internet in two.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Part of me wants to know how much money got thrown down to get Division 2 (shitloads) and Metro (double shitloads)

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, that's not the real issue at hand here though.
All the other exclusives announce for Epic, I don't really mind, they were announced as exclusive before they went up for pre-order or sale.
The issue here, is doing it for a game that was on pre-order this long, and then pull the bait and switch 2 weeks before release.

I also have the issue for timed exclusive that have a Steam store and hub. Because then it means that the game is sold on Epic store only for now, but still uses the Steam infrastructure (forums, etc) for the users to get "support" from the community. It's just shady as heck.

There is also the fact that there is almost no way for consumers to voice their opinions, games media is basically actring like marketing for the Epic Store, doing zero research into anything, so far any bad news reported by the media is stuff taken from social media from consumers complaining about it X and Y. And no followup or questions asked of Epic and its leadership.

So now we have a complicit games media, and literally no way to give feedback on the Epic store, and criticisms when people do use available avenues for criticism on Steam.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
You as a single consumer do not dictate how reviews are meant to be.

Anymore then my opinion does. And listening to publishers and developers whine about reviews is even less important. And the majority of the complaints about review bombing is from publishers and developers.
I don't know what's the point of saying that mine and your opinions don't matter, are you trying to silence me or something? And why you keep mentioning devs and pubs again, do you see a developer tag under my name? But I guess have to say then, that there's plenty of people who don't even work in gaming at all who find review bombings petty and even harmful to the user reviews as a consumer tool. Then there's people who don't really know it is as common as it is. So it might not register to them, that there's been foul play with the reviews. I can probably spot it, or I've heard about the controversy around the game. Like with Total War that got review bombed when they included female generals, I knew it was going on. So I can look past it many times and check the legit reviews. Now of course it probably doesn't bother you, that someone potentially skips a great game because of skewed Steam rating. I'm sure you even enjoy it. But it does decrease the value of the tool that Steam provides and tries to turn it to a megaphone to shout about unrelated issues to the product itself (to the pubs and devs, not to customers who those reviews are for). Though I guess with Total War people did have an issue with the product itself, this time they don't.

If you don't like reading what I have to say and think it's meaningless, you can ignore me. Or atleast please don't reply to me with another post about pubs and devs and how my opinion doesn't matter. I'm well aware what I can control and what I can't.
There is also the fact that there is almost no way for consumers to voice their opinions, games media is basically actring like marketing for the Epic Store, doing zero research into anything, so far any bad news reported by the media is stuff taken from social media from consumers complaining about it X and Y. And no followup or questions asked of Epic and its leadership.

So now we have a complicit games media, and literally no way to give feedback on the Epic store, and criticisms when people do use available avenues for criticism on Steam.
We have a lot of ways, different social medias (Twitter, Facebook) , different forums like this or reddit, Youtube, voting with our wallets, direct emails to the pubs and devs.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018
That would suck, but since Activision owns Battle.net I have no beef if that's what they would decide. It would probably suck for the dev though. But so far Activision only did this for 1st/2nd party devs, not 3rd party.
Bungie is 3rd party I think? So maybe it will launch only on Battle.net
. Steam + Battle.net will be good for everyone I guess

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
Feel free to verify your bonafides with an admin of you're going to repeatedly use them as a cudgel.

We've already had one insider turn out to be a fraud within the past 24 hours discussing this very topic.
I am not an insider for this particular matter, no, that's not what I said. I barely know Galyonkin at second hand and know practically nobody from Steam or 4A or any other parties involved in this news topic.

But I work in the games industry too (the info is open in my profile) and I talk with developers and publishers a lot because of my job. What I said was basically "Things are a bit more complicated on the inside of the industry and many game companies in fact are happy that Steam is getting some competition." And I didn't use it "repeatedly," I just made a brief single statement about them.

Zantagor

Jan 29, 2019
Montreal
Division 2 still makes no sense to me, why would I care to get it on Epic if I can get it directly on Uplay and probably cheaper and not bothering with EGS in the first place?
Division 2 to me smelled of Ubisoft just being greedy as heck on this.
Get a fat load of money from Epic to keep the game off other stores except Uplay. It's like a 0 risk for them here. Because they know most people will simply buy it on Uplay for 100% of the cut.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Ugh. If Sekiro gets moneyhatted I guess I'll pre-order on Steam ASAP before they take it down, then wait for confirmation as to whether my Instant Gaming preorder is gonna be a Steam key or an Epic key, if it's an Epic key I'll cancel the Instant Gaming pre-order, if it's an Steam key I'll cancel the Steam preorder. That's my plan. lol
The fact that we have to do this is just sad. Thanks for the tip, I think I might do the same.

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
I am just copying Apple
So impress me how would you do it?
I didn't say that I would do a research in the first place, right?

As for the launch itself, actually, I would have done exactly the same:
  1. Launch a barebone store with a handful of curated games.
  2. Get some indies with hardcore fans (Supergiant, Annapurna, Team Meat).
  3. Get some big titles to test the turf.
I do agree that the timing with Metro is poorly executed, 2 weeks before the release is not how it should have been done. Other than that, my strategy would have been exactly the same.

Right now they just have to test their platform, i.e. selling things, refunding, updating—the most essential features for the store to have. While they are at it (before the summer) they may keep dropping a few games a months on the store and prepare for a bigger launch in summer when, as they said, they open the platform for all developers. I bet they will have even more exclusives by that time.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
There are also several rumours that Epic will compensate for the missing sale numbers (compared to the estimated Steam sales) as well

If that is true, if I was in charge of ubisoft, I would not spend a dime on marketing the PC version and heavily market the consoles version as being the only ones that exist, that way Ubi get more sales from the consoles and get the money from Epic.

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
Also just bumped into a good thread with one of the most know indie developers and Galyonkin on Twitter.

I am not sure whether it was mentioned before or posted as a separate thread, but I sugges that the OP (GhostTrick) could add it in the first message. It gives a good new angle to look at the problem.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
There are also several rumours that Epic will compensate for the missing sale numbers (compared to the estimated Steam sales) as well
Huh wow... they're really willing to burn a lot of cash for this (even if that rumour wouldn't be true). There would be much better use for that money though, to make their service appealing in the long run.
All the other exclusives announced for Epic, I don't really mind, they were announced as exclusive before they went up for pre-order or sale.
The Walking Dead was pulled mid season. Also Operencia the Stolen Sun even ran it's beta in Steam. I'd give them Walking Dead, if they were the ones who went to save it. But Skybound Games did that.

Last edited:

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Huh wow... they're really willing to burn a lot of cash for this (even if that rumour wouldn't be true). There would be much better use for that money though, to make their service appealing in the long run.

Have they seen the amount of ire and vitriol they got with this? And that's just one AAA game. The PC community is very tribal when it comes to Steam and Valve, PC Gaming reddit is up in flames, I don't think throwing around cash is going to win loyalties, when piracy is being propped up as a viable alternative.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't say that I would do a research in the first place, right?

As for the launch itself, actually, I would have done exactly the same:
  1. Launch a barebone store with a handful of curated games.
  2. Get some indies with hardcore fans (Supergiant, Annapurna, Team Meat).
  3. Get some big titles to test the turf.
I do agree that the timing with Metro is poorly executed, 2 weeks before the release is not how it should have been done. Other than that, my strategy would have been exactly the same.

Right now they just have to test their platform, i.e. selling things, refunding, updating—the most essential features for the store to have. While they are at it (before the summer) they may keep dropping a few games a months on the store and prepare for a bigger launch in summer when, as they said, they open the platform for all developers. I bet they will have even more exclusives by that time.

So your saying Epic have not fully tested if they can sell stuff?

I thought that they would have had got that fully tested with Fortnight. Wow they are further behind than I thought.

Thanks for not offering me a job.

Seriously what you are describing is GoG they have a nice market but they are yet to be in Steams league

Last edited:

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017

But thanks to competition, they'll be able to buy DMC5 at a whole bunch of other retailers instead! Thereby giving the customer many choices and benefits.

Here, I found a list of all the new retailers that would be selling DMC5 in that situation:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/

This concludes the list of retailers.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
Also just bumped into a good thread with one of the most know indie developers and Galyonkin on Twitter.

I am not sure whether it was mentioned before or posted as a separate thread, but I sugges that the OP (GhostTrick) could add it in the first message. It gives a good new angle to look at the problem.

I see, that's cute.

Galyonkin and what seems to be some indie devs posting salt replies and completely ignoring the fact that the note that Valve posted mentioned the unfairness of the move to Steam customers, and not to Valve itself.

How convenient.

Edit: even Rami says this move by Epic is bad, further in the thread.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EGS is so barebones devs and pubs are using Steams community features (such as forums) to communicate with EGS owners. It already happened with Ashen and Deep Silver had to delete a marketing post that was released today in the Metro: Exodus Steam Store news feed due to the huge amount of backlash the news post got (was a link to a Metro: Exodus gun showing video).

It was literally above 60 pages of "Fuck you EPIC!" and this:

............./´¯/)......................................(\¯`\
............/...//.........................................\\...\
........../....//............................................\\ ..\
...../´¯/..../´¯\........................................./¯`\....\¯`\
.././.. /..../..../. |_....EPIC STORE....._|.\....\....\....\.\
(.(....(....(..../.) ..)...........................(...(.\....).....)...).)
.\................\/.../..............................\...\/................./
..\.................../................................\..................../
...\.................(.................................)................../

The Steam forums is in full anger, the exclusivity announcement threads has over 160 pages of angry customers (https://steamcommunity.com/app/412020/discussions/0/) , subreddits like r/metro and r/pcgaming calls for boygott of the EGS and Metro 2033 and Last Light are being review bombed on Steam.

TLDR; People are fucking pissed and they don't want this storefront exclusivity bullcrap.

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

To explain the situation in even more simple words.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Yep! Some people are so against evil Valve and their terrible hellish landscape Steam that they forgot to put up their "beloved customers" cape first and are revealing themselves.

G A L Y OMEGALUL N K I N

I have more games on GoG than anywhere else and when i want a game i go there first and i show loyalty only to my wallet. I am talking about the snarky comments some indy developers expressed about this situation that, in my humble opinion, show that they can not understand basic principles on how to be or not to be customer friendly.

I apologize to anyone that had to experience your snark because of my comment.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ROFL, the strawpoll at r/metro (where the people most hyped for this game would be) is going as well as ours rofl

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This is killing PC gaming for me. The Steam "competition" is only competing on the easiest part: distributing large files from a CDN. Steam is an actual platform with similar features as a console OS. If Epic or anyone else wants to do *that* better than Valve, I'm interested. Otherwise, it's just making PC gaming more fragmented and complicated.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if this has already been answered, but I'm a bit out of the loop: Did they give an explanation why the discount is US-only?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

Uh, choosing a dev that has made alot of money off of Steam is not the best thing.

Or the guy that is still taking a Pateron for SteamSpy while being paid to work for Epic.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I got paid today and was planning on pre-ordering Metro: Exodus as I adore the series.

They can eat shit now. This was an bafflingly terrible decision on their part.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
They're like actually pushing for this take down the man freedom fighter narrative. Yeah good luck with that. Seems to be going great so far.