qrac

Nov 13, 2017
It's not 10 dollars cheaper.
Either you arent reading my posts on purpose or you arguing in bad faith.
It's not either about regional pricing. If it was about regional pricing, we'd pay in dollar, not in Euro. But we pay in euro which means the régional pricing is here. And the price is the same.

And no, I'm not overestimating it. History proves how it makes a difference in term of service.
For the majority (75% or something like that) it will be cheaper, but honestly I don't think they care about price/launcher when buying a game day 1.

I added a line to my previous post while you quoted me, I'll add it here also:
"You know as well as I that 90% of a games lifetime sales happen within a month or two from launch, what does that tell you? Very few games are ever greens."

That said, how many do really care if the game is cheaper for a few bucks when we know for a fact that:

1) 90somethin% of a games lifetime sales are within a month or two from launch (a few games are evergreen)
2) 75% or more buy games on Steam according to a report from yesterday (games are never cheapest on Steam as you have showed)

Based on this I make the asumption that pricing is not a big deal for the majority of gamers.

And as I said before, this mostly suck for people based in India/Brazil/etc. But I'm sure it will be better with time as more improvments are made to pricing.

Also I think you should stop with accusing people of this and that. It just makes you seem childish. Some people are OK with this. Not everyone thinks like you or wants the same things like you do. And that is OK.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I'm likely never going to install the Epic launcher no matter which game ends up on there, plenty of other games to play. Been wanting to play Ashen but it's not available on Steam, so I'll just hold off on buying it.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Unpopular opinion, but I still think this is a legitimate tactic. A lot of platforms do it and it's always been a part of the gaming landscape in one way or another. It's lazy and it doesn't really benefit anyone and it's awesome that valve abstains from this behavior, but I don't quite hate it.

Also, Epic gives some nice visibility to the exclusives on its store. I'm guessing it's a nice deal for the developer. Valve didn't do exclusives because it had no real competition (and having exclusives costs money), not because of some moral reasons.

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
For the majority (75% or something like that) it will be cheaper, because honestly I don't think they care about price/launcher when buying a game day 1.

"You know as well as I that 90% of a games lifetime sales happen within a month or two from launch, what does that tell you? Very few games are ever greens."

That said, how many do really care if the game is cheaper for a few bucks when we know for a fact that:

1) 90somethin% of a games lifetime sales are within a month or two from launch (a few games are evergreen)
2) 75% or more buy games on Steam according to a report from yesterday (games are never cheapest on Steam as you have showed)

Based on this I make the asumption that pricing is not a big deal for the majority of gamers.

And as I said before, this mostly suck for people based in India/Brazil/etc. But I'm sure it will be better with time as more improvments are made to pricing.

Do you have data that claims that this majority use the Epic store ? Do you have sales data of the "90% something ltd sales a month or two from launch" ?
Because as of right now, it's "That majority IN USA"

And as I said before: It sucks for EVERYONE that isn't in USA. I'm not in Brazil, I'm in France. The game price rose by 50%.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
If you want to be mad get mad at deep silver for taking the money, no one forced them to release it on the epic store.
To actually have on impact, people need to boycot the games on Epic store and put pressure on epic to stop doing this.

If you dont want to discuss this, you dont need to keep posting here. Since you kinda seem to imply you dont care about this.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If I buy a game on epic store I have to link it through steam so I can effortlessly layer on the controller arbitration and the extrodinary proton wrapper.

Light years ahead, yet non-aggressive. How is this done. It must be hard.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft did this there would be riots. Seriously just picture that for a moment. I can't figure out the defence of this stuff at all. Just pure anti-competive behaviour. If it came from anyone else people would be losing their minds
I believe the response to Rise of the Tomb Raider showed that. If I had the time or the pettiness, I'd be naming and shaming hypocrites.

Nov 12, 2017
I support epic and every other that want take part of the competion to earn their own users on the Microsoft platform windows
Steam could try different approach to take back devs..like downing the 30% to 10? ...it's the basic of competition

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
For the majority (75% or something like that) it will be cheaper, because honestly I don't think they care about price/launcher when buying a game day 1.

This is just awful. 'If you aren't in the US you don't matter anyway'. Why would you even type this nonsense? It's gross

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
You're acting like it's a regional price thing. It's not. I'm talking about prices in the SAME REGION.
I'm in France, in Europe. There's no regional pricing here.
I'll use simple words for you:
"Before: 5 to 10 stores were selling Metro Exodus for 40 to 60€"
"Now: 1 store is selling Metro Exodus for 60€".

The same currency. The same region. Go on, I'm curious how you'll explain to me how paying 50% more is "okay".
How is it 50% more? Like I said its deep silver that you should get mad at not epic.
To actually have on impact, people need to boycot the games on Epic store and put pressure on epic to stop doing this.

If you dont want to discuss this, you dont need to keep posting here. Since you kinda seem to imply you dont care about this.
If the price is high in your region boycott it, I will buy it anyway. And don't tell me if I should post here or not you're not a mod.

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
How is it 50% more? Like I said its deep silver that you should get mad at not epic.

If if the price is high in your region boycott it, I will buy it anyway. And don't tell me if I should post or not you're not a mod.

Before: I could buy the game from 40 to 60€.
Now: I can only buy the game for 60€ on EGS. 40 to 60€ is a 20€ increase. 20€ is 50% of 40€.
40 x 1,5 = 60.

"Like I said, it's deep silver that you should get mad at not epic".
It's Epic who deemed it was a good strategy to remove choice. You're the one who defends it (for obvious reasons).

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I buy a game on epic store I have to link it through steam so I can effortlessly layer on the controller arbitration and the extrodinary proton wrapper.

Light years ahead, yet non-aggressive. How is this done. It must be hard.

Don't you see that makes the Epic store basically worthless?

Why would I buy a game there if I need to link it to another store to have some basic features? How is it better for me?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Also if passwo
No cloud save, no screenshot and broadcast, no account sharing, no Dualshock/Switch Pro controller support, and many other features. If the game is being exclusive on Epic store, PC users have no choice but to accept that fact.
You can use steam input and those controllers with it by linking epic launcher and changing the name of the link to the epic store game you want to config for. I love the steam controller, and still look forward to someone to make a way for it to work without steam and better yet a steam input alternative that isn't linked to steam or any store at all.

Also there are so many easy ways to take screenshots on PC, and record video. Nvidia and Radeon both can do those things from what I remember on my limited time with a Radeon card before they doubled in price and I was forced to capitalize on it. Cloud save may be in the works, it shouldn't be a big hurdle to accomplish, Origin has a good cloud system.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018

If the price is high in your region boycott it, I will buy it anyway. And don't tell me if I should post here or not you're not a mod.
I said you dont need to post here if this is a topic you dont care about. Since it kinda is what you are constantly implying here, never did I say I was a mod, neither have I ever heard that a mod has "banned" someone from commenting in a certain thread.

And you are just wrong about the first part, you want to stop Epic from moneyhatting exclusives? Get mad at Epic.

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Also if passwo

You can use steam input and those controllers with it by linking epic launcher and changing the name of the link to the epic store game you want to config for. I love the steam controller, and still look forward to someone to make a way for it to work without steam and better yet a steam input alternative that isn't linked to steam or any store at all.

Also there are so many easy ways to take screenshots on PC, and record video. Nvidia and Radeon both can do those things from what I remember on my limited time with a Radeon card before they doubled in price and I was forced to capitalize on it. Cloud save may be in the works, it shouldn't be a big hurdle to accomplish, Origin has a good cloud system.

"Thing were easy for you before. Now you have to take extra steps to do the same thing".
Btw how do I do family sharing ?

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Epic added refunds and regional currency and they will add more stuff in the future so I don't worry about features. Blops 4 is exclusive to battle.net and it sold just fine without the steam features.

So again, it's not just "attachment to a fucking store", making your original post nonsense.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Yeah, that's the thing. Different solution for each problem. More hassle for us for the sake of the publishers.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
"Thing were easy for you before. Now you have to take extra steps to do the same thing".
Btw how do I do family sharing ?
I've always used steam input for my pc games, which are usually on another storefront so I'm used to it. I have more hours with games on EA store + steam input than anything. I usually use steam as a game profiler than to launch a native steam game.

I don't mess with game sharing so I have no clue. If it's popular enough some other store will probably do it, like Xbox does iirc.

Yeah, that's the thing. Different solution for each problem. More hassle for us for the sake of the publishers.

I never looked at it as a problem, but a feature of an app on my pc. The app that lets me use the steam controller with it's accurate touch pads, gyro, and the ability to customize controllers like nothing I've ever seen other than game profilers like Xpadder, and Pinnacle.

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I've always used steam input for my pc games, which are usually on another storefront so I'm used to it. I have more hours with games on EA store + steam input than anything. I usually use steam as a game profiler than to launch a native steam game.

I don't mess with game sharing so I have no clue. If it's popular enough some other store will probably do it, like Xbox does iirc.

Ah yes, so who cares about the others.
Right, just wait 2 or 3 years in the hope they care about that feature. I love competition.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Valve could end this whole 'uprising' now by simply doing what majority of devs are clamoring for and increasing the dev take. They can still make a very healthy profit at a 20% cut, for example. As the biggest - by far - storefront, this is a no-brainer. But greed at the expense of thousands of small developers seems to get in the way of this decision.

There really shouldn't be anyone defending this cut here, but the "fuck you, got mine" mentality of people running scared that a handful of key resellers may not be able to offer steep price cuts keeps folks defending this current situation even as thousands of creatives continue to barely eke out a living on the Steam platform.

So yes, we know Steam has the most features of any PC storefront. But most of these being cited are sunk costs, and many new features like Photon are really niche, with minimal benefits to most devs. Certainly the R&D budget for these features can quite comfortably be accommodated by Valve even in a 20% split world.

Stop making this conversation about Epic Store and 'moneyhatting'. Focus on why Valve is so adamant on maintaining this (proven unpopular) 30% cut.

While you're at it, let's all try to give a shit about small developers.

Dust

C H A O S
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Valve kinda needed a kick in the ass to wake up, maybe this will be good in the long run.

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Valve could end this whole 'uprising' now by simply doing what majority of devs are clamoring for and increasing the dev take. They can still make a very healthy profit at a 20% cut, for example. As the biggest - by far - storefront, this is a no-brainer. But greed at the expense of thousands of small developers seems to get in the way of this decision.

There really shouldn't be anyone defending this cut here, but the "fuck you, got mine" mentality of people running scared that a handful of key resellers may not be able to offer steep price cuts keeps folks defending this current situation even as thousands of creatives continue to barely eke out a living on the Steam platform.

So yes, we know Steam has the most features of any PC storefront. But most of these being cited are sunk costs, and many new features like Photon are really niche, with minimal benefits to most devs. Certainly the R&D budget for these features can quite comfortably be accommodated by Valve even in a 20% split world.

Stop making this conversation about Epic Store and 'moneyhatting'. Focus on why Valve is so adamant on maintaining this (proven unpopular) 30% cut.

Funny that you talk about the "fuck you, got mine" mentality since it's exactly what devs are going on about. :)

"Stop making this conversation about what I cant argue about". You're fantastic, all these off-topic lines as you're unable to argue about a 50% of price increase. :)

Valve kinda needed a kick in the ass to wake up, maybe this will be good in the long run.

To do what ? Tell me why you think they've been "asleep". They've released games. They've improved their store and features dramatically in the year of 2018.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Do you have data that claims that this majority use the Epic store ? Do you have sales data of the "90% something ltd sales a month or two from launch" ?
Because as of right now, it's "That majority IN USA"

And as I said before: It sucks for EVERYONE that isn't in USA. I'm not in Brazil, I'm in France. The game price rose by 50%.
I don't understand what you mean with your first sentence, could you elaborate?
If you follow sales threads then you know that majority of sales happen very early on from release. Yes, you are right, it's US specific for my argument.

Well then it sucks for you also, but I think we western europeans will manage. Either we buy it now, majority of people would buy it for €60 on steam either way, or we wait 1 year and buy it somewhere else, or for a sale.

This is just awful. 'If you aren't in the US you don't matter anyway'. Why would you even type this nonsense? It's gross
You are misunderstand me on purpose. I have written several times that it's a bad deal for several countries around the world. But I think it will improve. Also you seem to ignore my argument on why the price in Europe doesn't matter to most people. I'll say it again.

1) People buy games early on
2) 75+% buy games on Steam (which is not the cheapest alternative as OP has shown)

So for most people this is just a change of launcher.

And as I said several times before. It does suck for some people. I'm not arguing about that.. I just hope Epic fixes these pricing issues that affect these people in the future.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

How would valve offering a larger cut to devs prevent Epic from buying exclusivity?

Oct 29, 2017

Epic are literally paying just so the games don't release anywhere else. It's got nothing to do with the higher cut. They are being paid specifically to prevent them releasing the game in other places

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Don't you see that makes the Epic store basically worthless?

Why would I buy a game there if I need to link it to another store to have some basic features? How is it better for me?

Very much. And it will keep it worthless. If epic's platform can ever match features like this it would be outstanding but as of now it's basically worthless. What's more, linking through steam can objectively improve epic's little exclusive. To the point where i need steam to enjoy an epic store game. It's ironic. And reassuring.

Epic can carve out a sizeable niche but they aren't taking on steam with this crude strategy. Steam is many steps ahead.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
How would valve offering a larger cut to devs prevent Epic from buying exclusivity?

Epic are literally paying just so the games don't release anywhere else. It's got nothing to do with the higher cut. They are being paid specifically to prevent them releasing the game in other places

Taken on face value, most of those signing up for exclusive deals say their decision was spurred by the more dev friendly cuts the Epic Store offers.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

Ah yes, so who cares about the others.
Right, just wait 2 or 3 years in the hope they care about that feature. I love competition.
I didn't say I didn't care about others, I just didn't talk about it because I have no idea what it is and never used it. I'm not a person that should give my 2 cents on it or such. If it's important to share your game on PC and that feature let's you trade, then yes, it sucks if you wanted to trade Metro eventually after beating it or something. I used to trade console games all the time, but I stopped after a while (after I never got my Kingdom Hearts 1 back, probably the reason I never stuck with that series and don't really care about KH3. Blessing in disguise, but I digress).

Oct 29, 2017
If you follow sales threads then you know that majority of sales happen very early on from release. Yes, you are right, it's US specific for my argument.

Well then it sucks for you also, but I think we western europeans will manage. Either we buy it now, majority of people would buy it for €60 on steam either way, or we wait 1 year and buy it somewhere else, or for a sale.

You are misunderstand me on purpose. I have written several times that it's a bad deal for several countries around the world. But I think it will improve. Also you seem to ignore my argument on why the price in Europe doesn't matter to most people. I'll say it again.

1) People buy games early on
2) 75+% buy games on Steam (which is not the cheapest alternative)

So for most people this is just a change of launcher.

And as I said several times before. It does suck for some people. I'm not arguing about that.. I just hope Epic fixes these pricing issues that affect these people in the future.
It's bad for some people and you just don't care. I don't see how that's any different from before

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No cloud save, no screenshot and broadcast, no account sharing, no Dualshock/Switch Pro controller support, and many other features. If the game is being exclusive on Epic store, PC users have no choice but to accept that fact.
Yeah it sucks but how many of those features do you use for every game? How often do you pick up a game on a different PC to care about cloud saves, there are lots of screenshot and streaming tools, there are tools to allow you to use Dualshock independently of steam.

PC users like to bang on about how they have choice with modding and utilities, buy the game and use them or wait a year and play it then if it REALLY matters that much.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Exclusive deals are a blight on our industry. Valve never made exclusive deals with publishers to keep games on Steam. A game's only exclusive to Steam out of the publisher's choice. Epic has a toxic way of trying to muscle in the market. They're trying to be the monopoly, not make the market better for everyone.
Yes they did. If you wanted HL2 you had to install steam. It was forced on its users and very unpopular at the time. It's literally how steam forced its way into the market.

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

It's simple: You're throwing numbers around. Do you have data to elaborate on these ?
It doesn't sucks only for me. For 99% of the world. But whatever 'we'll manage" "it's fine" "wont somebody think of the big corporation ?"

Down to blaming small developers now?

You mean the same small developers that may not even be allowed on EGS ?
Also, you know who's smaller ? Customers.

I didn't say I didn't care about others, I just didn't talk about it because I have no idea what it is and never used it. I'm not a person that should give my 2 cents on it or such. If it's important to share your game on PC and that feature let's you trade, then yes, it sucks if you wanted to trade Metro eventually after beating it or something. I used to trade console games all the time, but I stopped after a while (after I never got my Kingdom Hearts 1 back, probably the reason I never stuck with that series and don't really care about KH3. Blessing in disguise, but I digress).

It's not about trading in. That features let you share your games, as it implies. Basically, it allows another user, usually a family member, to access all your game library from anywhere in the world... or even in the same household.
So yes, it's pretty important for a lot of people.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah it sucks but how many of those features do you use for every game? How often do you pick up a game on a different PC to care about cloud saves, there are lots of screenshot and streaming tools, there are tools to allow you to use Dualshock independently of steam.

PC users like to bang on about how they have choice with modding and utilities, buy the game and use them or wait a year and play it then if it REALLY matters that much.
Everytime? I visit my parents' house once every week or two, and I can simply continue my progress there thanks to the cloud save. And yeah, there are various tools to take screenshots, but I haven't used them for years thanks to Steam. You're dismissing people's based on your preference and arguing in bad faith. This discussion won't go anywhere.

TheRedLotus

Nov 5, 2017
Yes they did. If you wanted HL2 you had to install steam. It was forced on its users and very unpopular at the time. It's literally how steam forced its way into the market.

Yes, it was Valve's own game. Not something made by other developer and forced away from the platform on which it was advertised for the last 2 years just 2 weeks before launch.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Now this, this is quality trolling.
No dude, Paragon was awesome. Dude!!!
I am tempted to link a video of a Paragon content creator crying when he saw the news that it was ending, which had me tearing up too haha. I will refrain though. The Epic Paragon devs would even communicate in the Paragon thread in the old place too. What a community, it seems they carried their team to Fortnite with all the awesome updates, and frequent events. I'm still happy Fortnite turned around, but dangit man, Paragon had to die.

Edit: Darn you, I was curious to see if it was as bad as I remember and man. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwm2SxoYfJM R.I.P. Paragon ; ;

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I did a late edit )) but I wrote in that way because the war of the stores that is really just starting
it's like you don't even realize why he said it read like a PR piece. and you believed your edit made it better? lol.

Epic isn't "earning" users with this move. They're forcing consumers who were set or planning to use a service they probably preferred if given a choice to use their platform if they want to play this game. True competition would have been also selling the game but having some sort of incentive, discount or feature advantage to entice people to choose their storefront over others. Not convincing a publisher to change plans on other storefronts 2 weeks before launch. If you build it and it's a compelling product doing something the slow, lumbering competitor can't do, you win consumers. This sort of activity creates antipathy and distrust.

So it's ok to be platform exclusive if it's your own game?
Yes. If you're paying for the development, you can choose where it's sold.

Exclusivity either hurts the market or it doesn't.
No. And stop being disingenuous. You can't be that simple.

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
So it's ok to be platform exclusive if it's your own game? Exclusivity either hurts the market or it doesn't. Full stop.

In this thread: People can't tell the difference between making your own product and release it the way you want... and buying out rights 2 weeks before release to remove it elsewhere.