MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Woo, finally went through. Gonna play Shen 3 on PC, since it's a hassle to pull out the PS4 right now.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
You gotta love it when developers mark their 14.99 games down to 13.99 for the sale to avoid the coupon

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Not gonna lie, Kena for 23 CAD is tempting.

Ooh, Eternal Cylinder is only 10 CAD?

Yeah, deff gonna grab that.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You gotta love it when developers mark their 14.99 games down to 13.99 for the sale to avoid the coupon

Well, it's understandable from a certain perspective, because your discount strategy is an important part of the life cycle of your game. Taking a 14,99 game, if it's 66% off before the developer has decided to make that the new baseline sale price, next time you put it on sale at a smaller %discount that won't have as powerful a draw. Nowadays, 75% off and upward isn't as common, so that 66% may be the lowest a developer will want to discount their game ever. That could be kinda bad for a new release. Popular sites like gg.deals and isthereanydeal as well as browser extensions keep track of historical lows too.

Last edited:

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018

Heh, yeah. For most previous sales there was an easy work around - the coupon always expired after the sale, so once the sale was over then I'd buy them at the regular $15 price, bringing it down to $5. Sadly, this coupon expires on the last day of the sale. :(

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
DbK8i0E.png

I hope everyone is checkmarking this box to help Tim Epic out.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
So why do people dislike EGS?

You launch a game, you buy it even cheaper and you get free games on top of that. This is an insane discount and I own the games. And the developers even get a better cut. So why do so many people have a problem with that?

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You launch a game, you buy it even cheaper and you get free games on top of that. This is an insane discount and I own the games. And the developers even get a better cut. So why do so many people have a problem with that?
Because at the beginning they bought out exclusivity for games so those were not released on STEAM untill a year later. So people weren't happy about that.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
www.epicgames.com

Epic Games Store | Official Site

A curated digital storefront for PC and Mac, designed with both players and creators in mind.

Don't know if the link will work but you can filter the store to just be sales, AND only games above the coupon limit AND then order by rpice to see all the cheapest ones first.

Journey to the savage planet is a fun romp for a few quid. some jackbox games in there for the next round of lockdowns, etc etc

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

My only issue with the Epic store is that there are no discussion boards or patch notes for games. When a game is an exclusive, it is incredibly hard to troubleshoot any issues you have with it because of that.

This is made even worse if the game has a Steam page and discussion groups but the game is delayed a year on that platform because of Epic exclusivity. If you try to use the discussion forum to get tech help your thread is besieged by these annoying Steam fanboys who complain about you using their precious Steam forums to get support on a game that hasn't been released on their platform yet.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Getting the forgotten city for sure and probably more. Frustrating that the sales are inconsistent across regions due to pricing. Seems like Disco Elysium is eligible for the coupon in certain regions but not Canada. I guess 20 bucks is still an excellent deal for it though lol

empo

Jan 27, 2018
I always find it hard to use these coupons and this time might be the most difficult. Basically everything I'm interested in is already under 14.99. I suppose that's a nice 'problem' to have.
same, doesn't help that there's always a bunch of games that doesn't seem adjusted for my currency so they are like 14.60

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, no deal on NEO TWEWY.

It's not a port of an older title like the Kingdom Hearts games, but I heard it didn't do so well commercially, so I thought it might still get an OK discount. I guess SE isn't getting that desperate with it yet.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
From what I remember, game developers started not being happy with those deep discounts, because they saw a trend of potential customers waiting until that holiday say for those %75 discounts. So it devalued their games big time. I'm not sure Valve had anything to do with why it stopped (as they still do it albeit with lower % off). But I think the only reason Epic does it is because they take the hit themselves, and I remember game devs still not being really happy with it as it still devalues their games.

I don't think it's on Valve - Buying digital as a platform just matured over the years. It's not about market disruption anymore to get people to buy your game, people aren't going anywhere, they will still buy your games when they're good or at least interesting. It's about finding out how much money people are going to spend on your game with as little of a discount as possible. The baseline for a good sale isn't 85% off anymore, it's 33% to 66%.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of juicy stuff and I have the next two weeks off, oh boy!

Also lol at those games less than $1 below the coupon cutoff price.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, no deal on NEO TWEWY.

It's not a port of an older title like the Kingdom Hearts games, but I heard it didn't do so well commercially, so I thought it might still get an OK discount. I guess SE isn't getting that desperate with it yet.

Yeah if they even put $10 off I would have bought it

I guess Square can just sit there scratching their heads at why no one is buying it

Drek

Oct 27, 2017

Its incredibly feature poor and less reliable/stable than Steam, which has become the market standard.

That alone doesn't get a storefront the ire EGS has received, but Sweeney specifically marketed it as basically the anti-Steam and has pursued content exclusives specifically targeting Steam. For example, Metro Exodus was a big early get - was still available on Game Pass PC basically at launch.

In short EGS' entire hook is to entice publishers onto the store and assumes consumers will follow due to the fetish nature of video games where players "need" their favorite IPs. Its a very cynical approach and that cynicism directly informs why they do the least possible on customer features.

EGS is basically a microcosm of the the gaming industry writ large with less artificial veneers - Epic sees their publishing partners as their real customers while the people buying games there are just a commodity brought in by their customers. Thats a dangerous road to go down in any industry, but one this industry specifically has tried to shove down player's throats time and time again (OG Xbox One as another massive example).

I still use sales like this to pick up super cheap versions of games I'm interested in, I'm not some kind of ideological purist who thinks Steam can do no wrong, but for people who are actively invested in not just PC gaming but the Steam ecosystem having a major industry player specifically align themselves to attack the consumer benefits of that ecosystem is super fucking shitty.

Aug 26, 2021
Hitman 3, Inscryption, Chicory, Death's Door, and Sable for just a little over $45 is exactly why I was wishlisting a lot of GOTY mentions yesterday. Are there any I'm missing?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Ooooof, this store page. I'm up at 5am tomorrow so I'll check back then =P

Thanks everyone for all the lists of recommendations with pricing!

Soy Bob

Dec 3, 2018

Epic does not have a wide range of payment methods available. If a game is exclusive to Epic and they do not offer a suitable payment method in your country, then there is no way to buy that game.
Steam, however, practically offers every method of payment under the sun.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Can't even see your library when the store goes down? Yeah I'm not spending any money here no matter how cheap it is.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Kind of an absurd number of things I want to pick up. Is Valhalla significantly different/better than Origins/Odyssey, or if I haven't played any of them, am I basically fine picking up one of the older ones?