• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I wonder when we'll see Playdeads and genDesigns next game. Epic surely has some hits on the way

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Remasters for games that didnt do well originally don't exactly blow up charts.

It's why financing a sequel felt silly as much as I want to play it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The loss of the Verizon and Energizer ads really did a number on this game's budget

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Epic wondering if Alan Wake 2 is really worth the amount of money they're spending on it...
while i'm sure that it being on epic played a part on why it's not selling well, the pricing alongside what the remaster offers probably wasn't enough to convince people that were able to get the original at 2-5 dollars in multiple sales, and i say that as someone who bought the remaster(good regional pricing where i live)
Legit feels like Remedy shouldve done this solo and make it an upgrade for owners. could see a lot biting the bullet that way.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
The moment I saw it was an EGS exclusive I passed on it. That's just how it goes.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Presumably, this means LTD revenue is south of $7m ("Tier 3"), in which case, using napkin maths and allowing for some degree of variance to account for regional pricing, LTD sales are likely no higher than 175k at the absolute best.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
id buy it if i hadn't recently played alan wake again in time for the control dlc

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Not really a big surprise since we have seen how their exclusive games have sold.

Edit: Forgot that it was also on playstation and xbox. (idk if its on switch)

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it a really low-effort remaster? I even recall reading that the PC version was inferior to the original in certain respects

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Man, that's a bummer. I liked Remedy from my experience with Max Payne 1 and 2, and I know it originally released to something more like a cult classic than a beloved blockbuster, but every bit of news that suggests that Remedy is still really only a cult classic kind of developer kinda makes my gut go queasy.

Some of the finest "small loop" action game design in the business (married pretty consistently to excellent graphics design tech too), and I love their moody-silly atmosphere that seems consistent even through massive thematic changes.

Feels like I'm relentlessly rooting for an underdog that's never actually going to mount a big win. I know I'm not actually the only one — we show up to talk about our love of Remedy games each time one comes out, and I know from experience that there's almost always folks to gush about their games with, but the sales data almost always comes back far bleaker than I expect.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
I don't think the world was really crying out for a remastering of Alan Wake in the first place which is why the likes of THQ Nordic do their remastering on the cheap.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
More worrying thing is that currently only AW2 is in full production at Remedy and all other projects are at best at proof of concept phase. And that means that if AW2 doesn't recoup costs fast enough Remedy could be without royalties for it too.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh well, I bought it on Xbox 360, SX, and PC. 😢

giphy.gif

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from there maybe just not being a huge demand for it, those who are interested likely expect it to come to Steam at some point.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Man, that's a bummer. I liked Remedy from my experience with Max Payne 1 and 2, and I know it originally released to something more like a cult classic than a beloved blockbuster, but every bit of news that suggests that Remedy is still really only a cult classic kind of developer kinda makes my gut go queasy.

Some of the finest "small loop" action game design in the business (married pretty consistently to excellent graphics design tech too), and I love their moody-silly atmosphere that seems consistent even through massive thematic changes.

Feels like I'm relentlessly rooting for an underdog that's never actually going to mount a big win. I know I'm not actually the only one — we show up to talk about our love of Remedy games each time one comes out, and I know from experience that there's almost always folks to gush about their games with, but the sales data almost always comes back far bleaker than I expect.

is this satire

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I've triple dipped on Alan Wake just in the last two years. Do I have to do all the heavy lifting here?

disparate

Oct 25, 2017

Control was a hit AFAIK

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was one of the most unnecessary remasters in recent times, for $40 you didn't really get a definitive edition compared to the one available on Steam.

It's a remaster that should have been $30 max with a $10 upgrade path for existing owners, and available on Steam. I love Alan Wake and will surely play it again before Alan Wake 2 releases, but I will not consider the remaster until it releases on Steam at a reasonable price, otherwise I will just stick with the perfectly fine version I already got.

Last edited:

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm a huge fan of Alan Wake and didn't buy it because I already own the PC version.

I don't really think they expected this to sell gangbusters, it's mostly something important to have available so people on consoles can play it when Alan Wake 2 is closer to release.

More worrying thing is that currently only AW2 is in full production at Remedy and all other projects are at best at proof of concept phase. And that means that if AW2 doesn't recoup costs fast enough Remedy could be without royalties for it too.
Look, I'm not a fan of the expression "concern trolling" but...what is this if not concern trolling?

"I fear Remedy, despite its multiple announced projects, might close if their long-awaited AAA sequel to Alan Wake sells as poorly as the barebones remaster of a 10-year-old game that almost everyone owns and was barely marketed!" Read what you're saying, please.

Last edited: