• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Figured as much once the specifics started becoming a bit more clear. This is the kind of move only a company with comfortably and dominantly self-sustaining console sales + digital ecosystem would pull, and Xbox console sales aren't at Sony level yet, nor is Nintendo's digital engagement as strong as Sony's.
Pretty much yeah. It spells it out in the leaked email from Gio Corsi. Until this arrangement PlayStation had no incentive to enable Crossplay (from their perspective)

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
smh MS and Nintendo are behind the time again, they should learn from the market leader on how to create standard business contract.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

That's the market leader leverage I guess.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I do not outright disagree because I can see 2 sides of the coin and I do not really think that this qualifies as a price fixing since price is not mentioned at all.

Price fixing example would be Sony, MS and Nintendo all secretly agreeing that they will not have competition between them at all but will sell games for the exact same price with exact profit sharing with the devs - that would mean that there is no real competition since the devs have no say and the platform holders can charge the consumer whatever they like. Contracts asking for more money or guaranteed revenue cannot be termed as price fixing since devs always have the freedom to decline.

Remember that I am not defending Sony, but I do understand their reasoning.

But you are defending them lol - yes its not totally obvious, outright price fixing - Sony aren't that dumb. But this is literally the step below that and still very likely illegal under EU competition law. So how on Earth we have a slew of people in here either both siding this or worse - its honestly pretty shameful.

You are, as a market leader abusing your position and attempting to financially, punitively punish companies for engaging with a marketplace outside the one you own

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Shit move by Sony. Maybe the other platforms have similar stipulations, but we've seen cross play been implemented in games among all other platforms but Sony, so my guess is not.

(Edit and just then confirmed they don't)

I've read the first twelve pages and then browsed through some of the remaining ones. Remarkable that nobody at least in those pages seem to have brought it up. But the thinking that Sony is 'right' to do this because the other platforms leech of their player base is faulty. Multiple shoestores in a shopping street do not leech customers off each other, they're creating a situation where people all over the region flock to their street. Rising tides lift all boats. Crossplay creates more popularity and a larger casual base that wants to buy the game and the microtransaction. But apparently Sony is not just happy with more revenue, they also want to squeeze additional revenue out of the publisher if they can't have the most. All around scummy and borderline monopolistic.

Sony are guarding against a scenario where people are using their console, platform and network infrastructure (account system, friends system, party system etc) to play a game but then, when people go to pay for things inside the game, they get no revenue because the user buys elsewhere. It's not difficult to understand that this undermines the business model for those platform holders, which is why Apple and Google are in legal battles over it, and it's why Sony have put in place these clauses.

If I go into a shoe store, take a pair of shoes, and then pay for them in a different shoe store... that would be weird right? That's at least as close an analogy.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Why is it such a big deal that Sony is the only one asking for compensation? I really don't understand that.

Its anti-consumer because it forces developers into a situation where they either have their game have cross progression and potentially pay Sony a fine, or not have cross progression with Playstation users.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Dude this is freaking day one of the case. There will be more documents lmao. no company does their stuff for free you can warrior all you want on this but the fact is no company does anything for free, they protect their interests first and foremost. You can ask for proof all you want, but this is exactly in the same vein of stuff like the capcom leak and MS had similar agreements in place when it came to marketing. Its no different. Every single move is a calculated thing that allows for them to either increase revenue or protect revenue losses, you are only exposed to a sliver of the stuff that goes on in these contracts.
I mean just because a multimillion dollar corporation is looking out for their financial best first doesn't mean you shouldn't be critical of them for shit like this. Yes this is a very scrupulous and strategic move by Sony, let's give them shit for it

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Just so we are clear - whatever is in Sony's best interest is good then? They can leverage whatever they want so long as its good for Sony's business?
I understand your point. Sony introducing conditions and complications to companies who want to make cross-play games is not good from consumer's standpoint. But imo this specific condition is perfectly reasonable for companies like Epic to agree with. So ultimately I don't think business practices like this hurt the consumers.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
You can be excited for Ratchet and Clank without feeling the need to defend the actions of a large private corporation that wouldn't be impacted by this news story in any meaningful capacity. Just throwing it out there.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Sony are guarding against a scenario where people are using their console, platform and network infrastructure (account system, friends system, party system etc) to play a game but then, when people go to pay for things inside the game, they get no revenue because the user buys elsewhere. It's not difficult to understand that this undermines the business model for those platform holders, which is why Apple and Google are in legal battles over it, and it's why Sony have put in place these clauses.

If I go into a shoe store, take a pair of shoes, and then pay for them in a different shoe store... that would be weird right? That's at least as close an analogy.
That doesn't make sense because Sony makes money of all those things. People aren't using like clandestine boxes to join Playstation services, they buy Playstations and Playstation games and pay for PS+.

It's like having to pay to enter a shoe store, buying the shoe, subscribing to their shoe polish service and then being annoyed people are buying shoelaces elsewhere.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
You can be excited for Ratchet and Clank without feeling the need to defend the actions of a large private corporation that wouldn't be impacted by this news story in any meaningful capacity. Just throwing it out there.

But you need to stan these mega corps, you don't understand! Companies are good and evil, instead of just focusing on making money!

Fordy

Oct 27, 2017
Would SONY have been aware of this information going public in advance? I am not familiar with the US legal system, but does SONY have no control over what goes public or not (as they are not one of the parties in the case). If they did have knowledge, you think they would get out in front of it. Either way, not a good look.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I'm not shocked that people are downplaying this, but I'm shocked that anyone actually believes this is ok. No, you don't get to mandate that other companies make money for you. I get why they did it (money, risk management sure), but there's no rationale that makes it reasonable, really. Look, if you happen to attract a bunch of kids to your platform, but their credit cards are tied to their phones not their consoles - why is that the publisher's fault...

These emails are INSANE. INSANE!!!!

Epic: YOUR UE4 LICENSE IS EXPIRING, SONY… 🙂🙂🙂
Sony: Ok, but what about MY UE5 LICENSE? 😏
Epic: 😳😳 … fine
You mean..

Epic: YOUR UE4 LICENSE IS EXPIRING, SONY… 🙂🙂🙂
Sony: Ok, but what about MY UE5 LICENSE? 😏
Epic: Ok, pay me. And we'll make it look like a big deal.
Sony: Ok.

Then....

The ironic thing is that Sony has invested almost half a billion in Epic.

This post was from the announcement in Aug 2020, I think it's more likely than ever with the way the emails read:
And that's exactly why Sony's investment isn't really that significant in terms of "investment". It reads more as payment for services as they cement a big deal with Epic, probably with some marketing and technical assistance as they transition over to use more Unreal. Just a guess that this is a way that Sony expects to reap its investment back (especially since the announcement of a Sony deal and that they're moving to Unreal would probably send the value of Epic even higher).

What I'm confused on is how Sony would know the total revenue for a game with cross play? Do they get the full data from, say, Epic for Fortnite on how much Xbox revenue is and whatnot and run the numbers on their share?
Heh.. exactly what I was thinking. What a way to get business intel on all of your competitors in one fell swoop. That's insane.

Would SONY have been aware of this information going public in advance? I am not familiar with the US legal system, but does SONY have no control over what goes public or not (as they are not one of the parties in the case). If they did have knowledge, you think they would get out in front of it. Either way, not a good look.
Yea, they would know. In fact, they might have had to provide it themselves. We know that Microsoft was able to redact several of their relevant documents. But, they probably couldn't do that with this because it's ACTUALLY pertinent evidence. Also why MS couldn't redact the information that they were considering dropping the console share to 12% as well.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
That's bs and would make me hesitant to even bother releasing a smaller GaaS game (or maybe even brand new, huge one given the competition) on the device. Yeah Sony is fucking killing it on the console front with PS4 last gen and they're still using that momentum for PS5 but I'd hate to lose so much money on one platform cuz of a bs clause.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
That doesn't make sense because Sony makes money of all those things. People aren't using like clandestine boxes to join Playstation services, they buy Playstations and Playstation games and pay for PS+.

It's like having to pay to enter a shoe store, buying the shoe, subscribing to their shoe polish service and then being annoyed people are buying shoelaces elsewhere.

Fortnite is a free to play game and doesn't require PS+, so that's not really an apt comparison.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it such a big deal that Sony is the only one asking for compensation? I really don't understand that.

Well they aren't. This is literally the same issue that lead to the Apple and Google lawsuits. As for Microsoft and Nintendo, they have less to lose, and until very, very recently Microsoft was extracting a subscription from every user anyway.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sony just keeps on looking worse and worse as a market leader. Doing stuff like this just seems short-sighted.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
But what if the reason for the revenue disparity across platforms is Sony's fault?

Many people on Era don't store card details on PSN after the hack, in the case where a large enough proportion of consumers choose to buy on another platform the dev would get punished, that doesn't seem fair.
I buy my PSN cards online. Come on... You can get them in your supermarket, online, anywhere.

It is fair that the Devs making money out of a platformer's back (Sony or any other) would give back a service fee for the service of running the infrastructure in case the game running is only a loss on the platformer's side.