• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Whataboutism at its finest in here. Yikes.

It was a joke, because you clearly didn't know who you were talking about when you wrote your comment. You know the one where you called someone a piece of shit that didn't know anything about games because the old Sony wouldn't do that. When he was part of the old Sony you're referring to and left a couple years ago.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm surprised at all this Sony-specific information coming out of a lawsuit between two unrelated companies. Guess it's about proving how fucked up the games market is in general and that Apple isn't that bad but still doesn't seem THAT relevant.

Well, if it helps bring some antitrust trouble to console companies... That whole market is so big on anticompetitive tactics as a default mode of existence. We always consider those exclusive buyouts, loss-leader products, licensing tactics and so on normal but in comparison to the wider economy it's all pretty fucked up. Probably needed this kind of look into it since the late 80s.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with this is that it ignores any reason why someone would want to buy something on platform x and play it on platform y. For any reason at all, it comes out of the developer's pocket.

It also fails to show how the percentage played on any system is calculated.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
I want to play games with my friends and this guy says "no, because I want money please". I'm pointing out that this is a shitty move and not consumer or developer friendly. It's predatory, monopolistic behaviour and shouldn't be tolerated by consumers. Why is it unreasonable to criticise this person strongly?

I really don't think people should be defending this guys wrongdoings by saying "yeah but he did this other good thing once" when this is clearly a bad move designed to punish the developers and consumers for the sake of earning money.

I really don't think you should be labelling him as a "piece of shit" for simply towing the company line in a company email, either.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Just out of curiosity are there are lot of multiplayer games with MTX that are made by small indie studios? I cannot think of any off the top of my head outside of maybe Rocket League? Just seems like a strange statement.

At the end of the day if the developers don't want to pay Sony they will have to take a stand and refuse to publish on Playstation, or at the very least not offer cross save.
Players and companies will have to speak with their wallets.

I mean, that's exactly what happens.

I'm not hugely upset. But Sony actively inhibiting cross saves and cross play sucks.

It sucked when they were against it in principal and it still sucks with this setup.

I don't think that's really relevant?

If the game takes off on another platform, they aren't going to pay more royalties.
The royalties only happen if gamers on other platforms are spending substantially more.

As if the dev has much control over that. It's clearly enough of a deterrent that plenty of games that would have cross progression and cross play don't.

Last edited:

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I get why they're doing it (and if anyone else is doing the same), they want to try to protect their revenue streams if content is being sold cheaper or more successfully marketed to PS consumers elsewhere, but I don't agree with it. I don't think they'd really be entitled to that money or whatever data they ask for. Pretty awful if this is actually getting in the way of more cross-play games too.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
If people are spending way more money on the Switch version instead, even though there's less of them, then maybe Sony should figure out why THOSE customers are more willing to spend money than the people they have on their platform.

Exactly many people missing this point.

If a company is purposefully building a revenue stream to cut out Sony whilst people play on PSN this policy is fine.

But if consumers are choosing to buy content elsewhere because they find the process of doing it on Sony platforms to be less streamlined than alternatives that's Sonys problem to fix.

This is exactly the reason why Sony has this contract. You pay on Xbox, but play on Sony's infrastructure. Not saying you shouldn't do this...but this is why Sony does what they do.

Yeah this is where the policy seems wrong to me. If the threshold was crossed it would punish the publisher when it's Sony's fault for not matching their competitors platform features.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
We really gonna pretend this site doesn't doesn't lean towards one gaming company in particular?

People aren't misunderstanding the issue. In it's simplest terms, it's a cross-progression tax.
People are definitely misunderstanding the issue.

Correcting a misunderstanding doesn't mean someone supports something. It's important to criticize something for what they are actually doing and not something else.
Why the fuck should Sony get a cut of anything done on someone else's platform?
The thinking is that because more people are using Sony's servers.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I want to play games with my friends and this guy says "no, because I want money please". I'm pointing out that this is a shitty move and not consumer or developer friendly. It's predatory, monopolistic behaviour and shouldn't be tolerated by consumers. Why is it unreasonable to criticise this person strongly?

I really don't think people should be defending this guys wrongdoings by saying "yeah but he did this other good thing once" when this is clearly a bad move designed to punish the developers and consumers for the sake of earning money.
He's a middle man here, he's not the one making the policy, he's relaying the message as his job was 3rd party relations.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
this is some of the best entertainment i've had from the epic platform and i didn't even have to pay for it

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
This ratio doesn't seem impossible to trigger for me when people have stopped spending much as much PSN while it's still fresh on the other platform. That it's something the developer has to worry about at all is not good
I'm guesstimating so I may be completely wrong on this (only game publisher will really know the truth).
Let's say we have Game A that is a GaaS PS4 exclusive, 100% of the playtime and revenue is on PS4.
They create a Switch port, which goes very well in its first month and attract a good amount of new players, the share is now 90 / 10 for PS4.
Players on Switch are new to the game and spend comparatively more, let's say double what PS4 players are spending, the revenue share is 80 / 20 (it would actually be 81.81% but it makes no real difference so whatever).
Gameplay ratio is 0.9, share ratio is 0.8, difference is 0.8/0.9 = 0.88, still doesn't trigger the revenue share.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but I don't think it's that easy if players have similar spending habits.
It may be a problematic clause if the publishers sees that some platform create bigger revenue per customer (for example mobile players spendign 50% more than console players), but at that point it's easier just no to enable crossplay at all.
It's not something that benefits us (the players) but it doesn't really surprise me that much or make crossplay impossible.
I would still hope it's something Sony and the partners have been working on (or will be worked on) to ensure revenue share is only enabled when the publishers actively promotes another platform and not because of the way players are normally spending their money.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
And in the case of Genshin, there's no real benefit to Miyoho paying since it's not like you can buy specific skins or weapons which would tempt friends do to the same nor is the MP a big focus. Sucks for me but I get why they said no. They wouldn't see the level of benefit Epic does.
Exactly, it's largely a one player game so you don't get the benefit of the cross-play you would in Fortnite.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
It was a joke, because you clearly didn't know who you were talking about when you wrote your comment. You know the one where you called someone a piece of shit that didn't know anything about games because the old Sony wouldn't do that. When he was part of the old Sony you're referring to and left a couple years ago.
He's a middle man here, he's not the one making the policy, he's relaying the message as his job was 3rd party relations.
I wonder if him leaving has anything to do with this stuff. If I was being forced to peddle such ridiculous policies I would leave too. I must admit I did not realise he had left.

Jun 20, 2019
The problem with this is that it ignores any reason why someone would want to buy something on platform x and play it on platform y. For any reason at all, it comes out of the developer's pocket.

It also fails to show how the percentage played on any system is calculated.
Yeah, the differential could increase for a billion different reasons, many of them causes that the publisher wouldn't have anything to do with. There's a big new MTX release on the 5th of the month and the revenue share is 70/30 between PS and XBox. Later in the month some huge streamer starts playing the game on PS and pushes the player ratio to 90/10 PS to XBox. Now the publisher has to pay a fee due to something completely out of their control, the decision of an independent streamer.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Game is on ps4 and xbox. Has cross play and progression. More xbox users buy mtx stuff than sony but sony wants a cut cuz it just happens to have a bigger fan base.

In Sony's view that's MTX money that likely would've been purchased on their store as well had there not been cross play.
By agreeing to cross play it doesn't matter which store the customer buys their MTX on, which cuts them out of the equation.

Sony doesn't want to lose out on their potential cut.

Sage Anahata

Banned
Oct 6, 2019
And this is why transparency is important.

I definitely have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I dearly love Sony's first party offerings, but on the other I know this isn't behaviour I'm attracted to, would engage with in my local community, or desire to continue perpetuating.

I won't judge them for it, because I know my past is colored with similar tonalities.

On a side note, the level of moderation here is disturbing.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Sony sounds like absolute gangsters here with respect to their approach to crossplay. Remember the PR bullshit about watching out for children?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This ratio doesn't seem impossible to trigger for me when people have stopped spending much as much PSN while it's still fresh on the other platform. That it's something the developer has to worry about at all is not good
I guess this is it
Not only is it per territory , but you have 5% wiggle room. If a steamer in Spanish language makes a skin a meme on a platform that isn't PlayStation and it causes a surge in spend on Switch or Xbox , then Sony gets a cut of that money, regardless to whether their own sales are affected or not.

It's probably simply easier and cheaper to not agree to these terms and the players are the ones who lose out.

It's another administrative cost a developer or publisher has to absorb , just to track this.
And what happens if the other platform's users in a certain region just happen to spend more than they do on PlayStation? When you flick that switch, the developer has to pay Sony get a cut of that too… once that 5% window exceeded.

Artifice

Oct 30, 2017
Why is it embarrassing exactly? Its a blatant move from a company exploiting its position in the market acting like a monopoly to disincentive competitive pricing across markets. Its embarrassing you'd even think to defend it.

Whether MS / Nintendo / Steam have similar policies doesn't alter the fact its bullshit.

It is 100% a disincentive to have a competitive market and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the EU investigate it seeing as it very likely to contravene Eu competition law

Not really.

Consider this scenario for a game. Say PS4 has an established player base of 100K spending 10K on MTX, while iphone has a player base of 10K spending 1K on MTX. Now the game enables cross-progression, and now iphone decides that it want to get more of the players on their platform and to spend on MTX on their platform, so they start running deep discounts on the MTX. Now PS4 players still want to play on PS4, but they decide to do their MTX on iphone (because it is cheaper) resulting in the 100K PS4 players spending only 3K and iphone now having the bulk of MTX of 8K with only 10K players.

This is the hypothetical problem Sony is trying to prevent, and yes, the ratios I used are pretty out there, but remember CFOs, lawyers, accountants and number crunchers have their job in the company to prevent such hypotheticals from happening and they will always err of the side of caution to save their ass.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
The math works out such that the opportunity to trip this provision increases as a game performance on PSN falls. For example, if a game's PS4 player share is 95% while the PSN revenue share is 90% the publisher doesn't have to pay. If a game's PS4 share is 10% while the PSN revenue share is 5% then the publisher will have to pay the fee. Note that the game's total revenue may be exactly the same in each case and the real difference in players-to-dollars may be exactly the same, but the game that can't find an audience on PS4 has to pay the penalty.
Actually they wouldn't. If it doesn't find an audience the no one would be playing it so it still would be 15 percent below the percentage of user base. If 10 percent was from PS they wouldn't owe anything even if the playstation version made no money

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
In Sony's view that's MTX money that likely would've been purchased on their store as well had there not been cross play.
By agreeing to cross play it doesn't matter which store the customer buys their MTX on, which cuts them out of the equation.

Sony doesn't want to lose out on their potential cut.

Sounds like a business to me.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One obvious takeaway is the cross-play situation regarding Playstation likely won't be improving anytime soon with the contractual obligations to obscene market intelligence desired here.
this is some of the best entertainment i've had from the epic platform and i didn't even have to pay for it
In true EGS fashion

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honest question, is this policy going to pretty much kill any chance of PSO2 coming to PlayStation in the west? Sega is already in bed with Microsoft regarding that game and this could just be another hurdle that makes it easier for them to just stick with Xbox and PC...

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Correcting a misunderstanding doesn't mean someone supports something. It's important to criticize something for what they are actually doing and not something else.

The thinking is that because more people are using Sony's servers.
That's not how it works, It's not like if you play on a PS4 you're on 'Sony's server' and if you boot it up on an Xbox you're on Microsoft's server - you're on Epic's server no matter where you play Fortnite.

Mar 11, 2021
Okay. That makes sense they would request something like that.

I kind of expect that Microsoft and Nintendo have similar setups for different games.

Everyone here that's surprised this is a thing, I just got to wonder how many of you have actually worked in the business world.....

Jun 20, 2019
Actually they wouldn't. If it doesn't find an audience the no one would be playing it so it still would be 15 percent below the percentage of user base. If 10 percent was from PS they wouldn't owe anything even if the playstation version made no money
That's not what is described in the slide.

PSN revenue share: 5% of total revenue
PS4 gameplay share: 10% of total gameplay
Penalty ratio: 0.05 / 0.10 = 50%

50% < 85% == True

Therefore, the publisher must pay the penalty.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Honest question, is this policy going to pretty much kill any chance of PSO2 coming to PlayStation in the west? Sega is already in bed with Microsoft regarding that game and this could just be another hurdle that makes it easier for them to just stick with Xbox and PC...

The fact its already on Playstation outside of the west and not here probably just means Microsoft paid for it to be that way. Because it wasn't going to come here anyway till Microsoft foot the bill for it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony aren't helping the industry here, what a awful policy. Good to have that out in the open, and a reminder of how dominance is bad for gamers. Hopefully, that won't be the case as the gen continues.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Not really.

Consider this scenario for a game. Say PS4 has an established player base of 100K spending 10K on MTX, while iphone has a player base of 10K spending 1K on MTX. Now the game enables cross-progression, and now iphone decides that it want to get more of the players on their platform and to spend on MTX on their platform, so they start running deep discounts on the MTX. Now PS4 players still want to play on PS4, but they decide to do their MTX on iphone (because it is cheaper) resulting in the 100K PS4 players spending only 3K and iphone now having the bulk of MTX of 8K with only 10K players.

This is the hypothetical problem Sony is trying to prevent, and yes, the ratios I used are pretty out there, but remember CFOs, lawyers, accountants and number crunchers have their job in the company to prevent such hypotheticals from happening and they will always err of the side of caution to save their ass.
What your describing is ant-competitive practices. Sony didn't wish to compete on mircotransaction prices so they abused their position as market leader to dissuade such situations from occurring.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Pretty greedy from Sony's part. Basically flexing their "market leader" muscle here. I don't think this is anti-consumer since the consumers aren't really impacted, but it does feel anti-competitive, at least. But this is a complicated business dealing and I guess the lawsuits will show if they are in violation of antitrust laws or not.

Correct. Frankly, the idea that having a more accurate picture means we're defending anything is farcical.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Not really.

That "problem" is literally you describing a functioning competitive market without price fixing. Which yes Sony is trying to actively stop

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
"HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL - ATTORNEY'S EYES ONLY"

I am now an attorney ;]

On a more serious note, that's disappointing.
We are all Ace Attorneys here.

About the topic, not surprised. The amount of these type of contracts and conditions that must be around between any combination of companies... Glad we get to see some of them :D

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony aren't helping the industry here, what a awful policy. Good to have that out in the open, and a reminder of how dominance is bad for gamers. Hopefully, that won't be the case as the gen continues.
I'm sure someone here will 'well, actually..' you about the PS2 being the best era for gaming ever. They're nothing if not predictable.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty greedy from Sony's part. Basically flexing their "market leader" muscle here. I don't think this is anti-consumer since the consumers aren't really impacted
Consumers are impacted , this policy is surely a policy that is riddled with difficulties for many developers/publishers and as a result , consumers get a worse experience : in this case , no cross platform play or purchases.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Consumers are impacted , this policy is surely a policy that is riddled with difficulties for many developers/publishers and as a result , consumers get a worse experience : in this case , no cross platform play or purchases.
Do they though? Considering Fortnite is an example, Fortnite players are certainly not affected, just Epic.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Ehm, so if I read this correctly and ignore the majority of reactionary replies, this is somewhat to what Apple has been doing with external "IAPs" for apps hosted on the iOS Store? But instead of forcing devs to provide IAPs through the app so Apple can always take their cut or block the apps outright, Sony says that all MTX purchases done outside of PSN that falls under a certain ratio compared to the actual gaming done on PSN will be liable for surcharges?

If that's the case, couldn't fucking care less. Companies such as Epic already earn obscene amounts of money on MTX purchases from endusers, so if Sony, as a corpo, wants to tap into that for infrastructure costs, hookers and blow or whatever, that's capitalism for you.

I doubt this has a noticeable impact on gamers nor on small game companies, since I expect the big players to be the ones to have these types of revenue streams set up outside of PSN/Live.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Someone explain how this is a net benefit for devs and consumers cuz I ain't seeing it
It's not.
Ehm, so if I read this correctly and ignore the majority of reactionary replies, this is somewhat to what Apple has been doing with external "IAPs" for apps hosted on the iOS Store? But instead of forcing devs to provide IAPs through the app so Apple can always take their cut or block the apps outright, Sony says that all MTX purchases done outside of PSN that falls under a certain ratio compared to the actual gaming done on PSN will be liable for surcharges?

If that's the case, couldn't fucking care less. Companies such as Epic already earn obscene amounts of money on MTX purchases from endusers, so if Sony, as a corpo, wants to tap into that for infrastructure costs, hookers and blow or whatever, that's capitalism for you.

I doubt this has a noticeable impact on gamers nor on small game companies, since I expect the big players to be the ones to have these types of revenue streams set up outside of PSN/Live.

It's literally sony saying if you earn more money on this game on another ecosystem relative to how many people play it there vs here, you owe us money. It has an impact on gamers because companies aren't interested in putting features in that might COST them money through no fault of their own. This is almost surely why many games that could easily add crossplay still have not.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
What your describing is ant-competitive practices. Sony didn't wish to compete on mircotransaction prices so they abused their position as market leader to dissuade such situations from occurring.
Why are we pretending that Epic got strong armed into anything here? They have the hottest product in gaming. They saw money to be made and agreed not to compete because it would bring them more of it.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Why are we pretending that Epic got strong armed into anything here? They have the hottest product in gaming. They saw money to be made and agreed not to compete because it would bring them more of it.
This isn't about epic, it's about literally any developer that entered this agreement with Sony.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
And the games that have chosen not to engage cross play because of these policies and the financial implications to them?
What games are those? Legitimately asking, I don't know. If we have examples, then yes, this affects consumers, but it seems to be speculative right now.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Not really.

In your hypothetical the games publisher gets punished by Sony because Apple decided they wanted to do a sale.

Doesn't seem fair in this case..

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Not really a "problem", since I have no skin in the game, but I understand what Sony is trying to do whether I agree with it or not.

Sure, doesn't explain you're response considering I never asked for someone to explain the obvious to me. Also not sure how anyone can fence sit and not outright disagree with it considering its literally an attempt to price fix

Noble

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, this DOES sound like a monopolistic practice even more than what Epic is in court for regarding Apple.

Like wow. And the worst thing this is probably only the tip of the iceberg on a series of shady practices my practically all platform holders.