• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by Posting
Man i really love this competition. So good for Costumer.

darkness

Oct 25, 2017
If they charge you in USD, why would you expect the refund to be in your local currency?

What you want here is local currency support.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like an oversight more than anything else.

Definitely needs to be fixed.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It is probably due to currency fluctuations (as those price values seem not standard). Probably an issue of not accepting in different currencies.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like a simple unattended error or currencies being different. It's like $3. I'm more than willing to deal with growing pains from Epic store.

Certain reactions would have you thinking Epic only refunded 50%.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
So... either the store is half assed or it's just another shitting on customers.
In any case... Yay for "competition".

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It looks like their idea of local currency support is just changing the number and currency symbol on the store page.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That's down to your bank's exchange rate fluctuating. As they do

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
for those that know better than me - is the discrepancy processing fees, or currency conversion fees?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Just give them time guys, they are a little company coding from their garage. You can't expect them to be competitive from the ground up. ;)

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
for those that know better than me - is the discrepancy processing fees, or currency conversion fees?
I would say it is probably currency conversion fees from their local currency to USD, as Epic might not have known that value.

If it is processing fees, they should know that much better.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

Currency conversion fee.
Because Epic charges in US dollars, you've to pay banks currency conversion fees on purchase and refund.
They just display prices in your local currency for convince.

There are no fees, the discrepancy is due to different exchange rates because the transactions occurred at different times.

They're both on same date though. Charged on 15th and processed on 18th (after weekend).

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
The question is, do they pay you more if the conversion rate is in your favor.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
That's why I was sceptical about that "We currently support regional pricing in over 230 countries!" claim.

Regional pricing is not just "better price for your region", it's also about regional currencies, which is not that easy to add and that's why other stores not doing such wide range of regional pricing. If you are still charging everything in USD, it's just a half-step and consumers still fucked, especially in situations like this.

OP
OP
SteveWinwood

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
That sounds more like a bug than an intentional design.
This seems like an oversight more than anything else.

Definitely needs to be fixed.
It looks like a simple unattended error or currencies being different. It's like $3. I'm more than willing to deal with growing pains from Epic store.

Certain reactions would have you thinking Epic only refunded 50%.
It's a bug, but it's also a perfect way to farm some likes on Twitter, so be quick
where was it implied it was intentional?

of course it's a bug, but it's also indicative of them half assing their international pricing, either passing fees along to consumers or not having their system straight

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I was sceptical about hearing that "We currently support regional pricing in over 230 countries!" claim.

Regional pricing is not just "better price for your region", it's also about regional currencies, which is not that easy to add and that's why other stores not doing such wide range of regional pricing. If you are still charging everything in USD, it's just a half-step and consumers still fucked, especially in situations like this.

I mean their main problem for regional pricing support was not really offering paying methods that didnt add cost to the customer transactions (imho).

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this is pretty standard for Epic's Store at this point.
I doubt this is processing fee, like the fees for certain payment methods, as this would be something very easy to calculate and highlight.
It may be conversion fees for the particular currency, since they are doing everything in US dollars. Again, Epic should cover this as a courtesy, knowing how much a given customer has payed and needs to be refunded.
As usual, it seems Epic is less concerned about the customer's side of the service.

OP
OP
SteveWinwood

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
That's why I was sceptical about hearing that "We currently support regional pricing in over 230 countries!" claim.

it's taken years for steam to get to what, 40 currencies?

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Guaranteed they are simple converting all fees to USD. So when they refund you and when you buy it's the same USD rate on their end, but currency fluctuations cause this.

Relatively common bug in e-commerce.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
where was it implied it was intentional?

of course it's a bug, but it's also indicative of them half assing their international pricing, either passing fees along to consumers or not having their system straight
True, I just hate these snarky Twitter comments like "heh, really cool feature lmao gottem" with obligatory @[insert_company_name].

Couldn't this person write to the support or ask normally? Anyway it's off-topic.

Oct 27, 2017
Typical:
• Someone posts a snippet of the story
• Internet reacts
• Full details come out

How about we get the details of what EGS charged him (not the bank transaction) and what was the refund amount. There are currency conversions which happen either at the bank or cc level, something EGS does not have full control of. Same with the Paypal, if you convert the currency during the payment ($ to €), you cannot get back the full amount in $.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious; would you actually make a profit if currency fluctuated favourably for the user?

darkness

Oct 25, 2017

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole store is a weak amateur effort. The fact that they seem to be lying to their customers on which currency they will be charged in is another extra level of yikes tho

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Just give them time guys, they are a little company coding from their garage. You can't expect them to be competitive from the ground up. ;)
What I don't understand is how they launched the store without:

- Controller support
- Linux support
- A search bar
- Local currency support
- Refunds
- Offline Mode

It's just stupid. You have all the Fortnite money but release this piece of shit store and then complain when people don't like you moneyhatting games?

darkness

Oct 25, 2017
Uber does this shit too, by the way. At least here in Mexico. They show prices in the local currency but then they charge you in USD, so sometimes you end up paying a little bit less and sometimes a little bit more.

OP
OP
SteveWinwood

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

- Controller support
- Linux support
- A search bar
- Local currency support
- Refunds
- Offline Mode

It's just stupid. You have all the Fortnite money but release this piece of shit store and then complain when people don't like you moneyhatting games?
it's been a client since at least 2015

remember when they gave away shadow complex?

they've had a while to sort some stuff out

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

- Controller support
- Linux support
- A search bar
- Local currency support
- Refunds
- Offline Mode

You're missing resumable downloads. If your store crashes or your client closes no download is resumable.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

- Controller support
- Linux support
- A search bar
- Local currency support
- Refunds
- Offline Mode

The Epic Store launched with three games. Why would it need a search bar? Even now every title on the store fits basically one page.