• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
It's finally on its way:

Americas: December 14
Europe: December 18
Japan: December 21

Crazy month.

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know the price? I have it on PS4, but think it's better suited as a handheld game. I'd be up to double-dip for the right price.

Blabadon

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It barely hit 30 FPS on my Surface 3, so this can satisfy my handheld dreams.

Ugh, if only Switch had PSN.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
This is a great game - Switch owners should definitely get it! I wonder if it supports co-op mode with the Joy-Cons because that might convince me to double dip.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
What is the best way to describe this? It looks like Binding of Isaac with guns. I'm a big fan of shmups and, to a lesser extent, twin stick shooters, am I gonna dig this?

Dogo Mojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! I've been waiting on this one, now just give me Crypt of the Necrodancer and I'll be good on games to play for awhile.

Junior

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it'll be well-optimized. I'm assuming it'll be 30 FPS but there better not be noticeable dips.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this is a very good game, I hope it does well. I will almost certainly double-dip here.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
will I get sick of the environments and enemies in this game and is there a reasonable way to play it without the dodge roll

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
What is the best way to describe this? It looks like Binding of Isaac with guns. I'm a big fan of shmups and, to a lesser extent, twin stick shooters, am I gonna dig this?

It's a roguelike bullet hell twin stick shooter. It's super fun and probably my favorite iteration of roguelike. You're always unlocking stuff and they've been keeping it fresh with free updates too.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
If I didn't really care for Binding of Isaac, would I enjoy this? I mean, I love Ikaruga and the like.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
will I get sick of the environments and enemies in this game and is there a reasonable way to play it without the dodge roll
Enemies are pretty varied, environments less so. There's 5 levels and you'll start to recognise room layouts fairly quickly - but probably not the actual enemy configurations within. Or the weapons, there's hundreds of them.

Playable without dodge roll - no, not at all. Many boss bullet patterns require you to roll or you'll get hit, and many rooms will have gaps that can only be crossed by dodge rolling across them.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
another great indie game, i was expecting decent to very decent indie support on the switch in its first year. i didnt expect it to be this strong.

Raven777

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I just need to learn this games mechanics and systems better. I played for like 4-5 hours and feel like I've made zero progress on any of it. The starting area where you pick your character looks exactly the same.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I didn't really care for Binding of Isaac, would I enjoy this?
Depends on why you don't like it. If it's just aesthetics, you might like this. The game loop feels pretty similar to BoI with an average clear time that's about the same. As in BoI, RNG can absolutely ruin your day or it can save a run.

Personally, I don't like how each run takes so long. The difficulty takes too long to ramp up. I'm pretty excited for the upcoming expansion, Advanced Gungeons and Draguns since it's going to address that issue directly.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
YES YES YES!
It's finally coming out!
This was one of my favourite games of the year when it hit the PS4.

Seriously, don't sleep on this one, Nintendo players.

If I didn't really care for Binding of Isaac, would I enjoy this? I mean, I love Ikaruga and the like.
I think so.
I had a hard time getting into Isaac at first. It did click with me eventually though and I now love the game.
But Enter the Gungeon is totally different besides the fact that it has procedurally generated levels (to a lesser extent since it's actually a ton of manually created level blocks that get puzzled together), tons of weapon drops and it can be classified as a shooter.
While Isaacs shooter gameplay never feels accurate or impactful, Gungeon feels the exact opposite.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Enemies are pretty varied, environments less so. There's 5 levels and you'll start to recognise room layouts fairly quickly - but probably not the actual enemy configurations within. Or the weapons, there's hundreds of them.

Playable without dodge roll - no, not at all. Many boss bullet patterns require you to roll or you'll get hit, and many rooms will have gaps that can only be crossed by dodge rolling across them.
I figured that was the case but good to have confirmation lol

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
This game does not play as good as isaac does with a controller. Sorry to say but its miserable trying to do co-op where one guy has a M&KB and one has a controller.

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for this one. But here's the thing: my Switch backlog already has like 10+ games.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game does not play as good as isaac does with a controller. Sorry to say but its miserable trying to do co-op where one guy has a M&KB and one has a controller.
So dual stick shooter doesn't play good with a dual stick setup? :P

PZ7Gf6i.gif

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
So happy to see this by year's end! With this, Yooka, and two pimhall games hitting next week, the year couldn't end better on Switch!!!

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
The game plays fine with a controller, there's a generous amount of aim assist.

Personally, I don't like how each run takes so long. The difficulty takes too long to ramp up. I'm pretty excited for the upcoming expansion, Advanced Gungeons and Draguns since it's going to address that issue directly.

This is also my biggest complaint by far. Floor 1 takes so long and it's so incredibly boring. Hell, each floor is too long. I'm bad at the game and rarely reach floor 3-4, partially because I zone out and make stupid mistakes on floor 1-2. There's a big gulf in difficulty between each floor, so if you're bad like me, literally half of your playtime may be spent grinding through the first boring-ass floor time and time again.

Last edited:

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I feel like I may double dip on this but I don't know how it'll feel without mouse and keyboard. Guess I can use a controller on the PC version and see.