Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
Do they not recommend solo? I'm planning on playing solo so if that's not a good experience I'll need to refund.

Just going by what is on the OP.

Will it be multiplayer?
Yes. Enshrouded is a co-op online multiplayer game. Although the game can be played in co-op, one can also play solo and offline, but we strongly encourage players to grab a friend or three (and up to 16!) before setting out into the Shroud. It is just more fun.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit this game is actually really, really good. It has those Valheim vibes but there seems to be so many layers underneath it all. I didn't realize you could level up and spec into different classes. Working on building my base right now but the building mechanics are much simpler and don't rely on all those micro mechanics as Valheim did, so I don't feel like my base is going to crumble at any minute. Loving this one and it's well worth the ~$30.

Jun 1, 2021
Hmm the game has the same issue as the demo for me where the fps in game doesn't seem to match the fps counter. Feels pretty choppy.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
The game seems professionally made, there is still jank obviously but there is a level of polish that not many survival games have. Like Valheim is awesome and I love it, but goddam the UI is terrible.

Enshrouded feels more like a big production in that regard. I don't know the devs or how big they are but I appreciate their effort.

I also love that the map is not procedurally generated, it just makes it more interesting. I always thought that ideally a game should have both. A hand tailored map for the campaign and the possibility of generating simpler maps for a survival mode...but I know this is asking a lot and would involve a lot of work.

It also makes me wonder...when are we going to get a real AAAA survival game?? The genre seems to be big right now, but most hits seem to come from smaller or medium sized devs. It seems that Blizzard is doing one and rumors are saying that it is showing great promise in internal evaluations but it's probably still years away.

I found this video that gave some really good starting tips if anyone is interested:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHzkSCV9H1U

Edit: FIND THE NPCS GUYS LOL

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm the game has the same issue as the demo for me where the fps in game doesn't seem to match the fps counter. Feels pretty choppy.
I know this sounds odd and I haven't figured out yet how to fix it. I have this with the game and also other games but if I stream it in discord all the choppiness goes away...

Siden

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2023
The menu and clunkiness of the base building was so bad I refunded after 30 minutes. Probably a good game underneath but holy shit the controls and menu navigation and bad building with a controller was actually awful. Hopefully that improves in the future and I'll pick it up again.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
You know what this game gives off vibes of? After a whopping 30 minutes of playing (so clearly I'm an expert)?

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Except with Valheim thrown on top of it.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
First impressions,

The good:
Looks cool,
Combat is kinda okay
You can really build cool stuff
Performance is kinda okay on medium at 3440x1440p DLSS quality I get 60fps+ with RTX 3080 and AMD 5080x3D

Not really a negative, but it would be awesome to able to climb anything, sadly you can't

The negative:
Menus are so bad and weird for me, hard to navigate understand where to look for stuff
Crafting, you kinda don't know what you can craft or build until you get material, but because you don't have materials you don't know what you are missing , at the same time the menus oh my god
There is no tutorial how to get stuff, like I needed cloth, had to google where to get it as you can't craft it and there is no guide for stuff
Kinda dislike the terraria/minecraft slots as all the weapons use those slots, but for some reason bow/shield get separate slots
Quest/tutorials are kinda weird, as the main quest says build a base beacon and after that go to a distance place, nothing in between, went to a territory following the quest where enemies one shot'ed me

The bad:
You can't craft using stored materials, you have to have them in inventory or maybe I didn't understand something

Conclusion:
First impression are mixed, as I played Palworld everything clicked instantly, it was easy to find things/materials, very easy menu and going to this game you kinda are hit hard with confusing menus, crafting

Will try to get used to it and play more

Jun 1, 2021
Ok it's clicking a bit for me now. The terrain deformation is pretty cool.

But god the UI is bad. It's also like the contrast is too high on the ui?

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
I also love that the map is not procedurally generated, it just makes it more interesting. I always thought that ideally a game should have both. A hand tailored map for the campaign and the possibility of generating simpler maps for a survival mode...but I know this is asking a lot and would involve a lot of work.

i don't think it's more work so much as it is a lot of game design considerations straight up change between the two so you end up basically making two rulesets ideally

which is a lot more work

... oh

Jun 1, 2021
So it seems the game runs at 60hz regardless of your fps cap. Also menus, such as scrolling to select menu / crafting rows are coded for 60hz, any higher it causes you to skip rows / menu items. I just locked the game to 60fps and it fixed all the menu options.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So it seems the game runs at 60hz regardless of your fps cap. Also menus, such as scrolling to select menu / crafting rows are coded for 60hz, any higher it causes you to skip rows / menu items. I just locked the game to 60fps and it fixed all the menu options.

Oof gonna hold off until they fix the basic shit I guess

Oct 28, 2017
I wish with all that tutorializing games would bother to explain their save system. Like, I quitted the game and was put back to the very beginning when I started again, so it doesn't save where you leave like Valheim I guess...

I've played the demo and these extra months of 'polishing' don't seem to have made much of a difference. Like the performance is all over the place.
Earlier it dropped to 30 fps on medium (3070 RTX 1440p), just on an empty field when the sun went down.

Jun 1, 2021
I wish with all that tutorializing games would bother to explain their save system. Like, I quitted the game and was put back to the very beginning when I started again, so it doesn't save where you leave like Valheim I guess...

I've played the demo and these extra months of 'polishing' don't seem to have made much of a difference. Like the performance is all over the place.
Earlier it dropped to 30 fps on medium (3070 RTX 1440p), just on an empty field when the sun went down.

That seems odd, mine does auto save at least. But I agree with all the other points. I'll stick with it I think but yeh it's a shame it's as rough. Early access though I guess.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Is that what's going on? The game just feel weird to me, but not 60hz weird. Something just feels off, and definitely not 130 fps like I have it locked to, but it also doesn't look like 60 fps either.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
So what's unique about this survival game that sets it apart from the plethora of others?

And does it run well on steam deck?

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Anybody having weird double inputs issues with this game? I was trying it with a controller and every dpad press would move two spaces in the inventory screens or when trying to build stuff. Odd thing is that even after switching to M&KI was still having the issue and the scroll wheel would move two notches.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for clarifying that that IT is around $30. Still... reading from the impressions. It might be a wait.

Also you can't craft from stored mats?! Hopefully they change that!

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Played for 2 hours and it just feels nice. Everything is so smooth and well made. Looking forward to playing more.

Jun 1, 2021
Anybody having weird double inputs issues with this game? I was trying it with a controller and every dpad press would move two spaces in the inventory screens or when trying to build stuff. Odd thing is that even after switching to M&KI was still having the issue and the scroll wheel would move two notches.

It's tied to the frame rate. There aware, but you have to cap fps to 60 via nvidia control panel or similar.

PiPSmallie

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for clarifying that that IT is around $30. Still... reading from the impressions. It might be a wait.

Also you can't craft from stored mats?! Hopefully they change that!

You can craft from stored mats but it comes from an upgraded chest. So you have to progress a little before that's an option.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
I know this sounds odd and I haven't figured out yet how to fix it. I have this with the game and also other games but if I stream it in discord all the choppiness goes away...

this kinda sounds adjacent to unlimited frame rate issues- streaming to discord may well be locking the framerate lol

edit: peripherally beaten

Jun 1, 2021
Damn. That takes the game from a might buy to a no buy until they manage to fix that. It feels kinda like amateur hour when you have such a large problem that the majority of users won't know how to fix or even address.

Hopefully they get a fix in soon!

They said in the discord that this is the first they have seen of this bug. Not sure if that makes it worse or not, I had the same issue in the demo, but hopefully a quick fix.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They said in the discord that this is the first they have seen of this bug. Not sure if that makes it worse or not, I had the same issue in the demo, but hopefully a quick fix.
I'm not sure how a bug that seemingly affects anyone who can get above 60 FPS can go under the radar unless you didn't test the prod build before uploading.

But yeah, hopefully a quick fix because that's a really big, nasty one.

Jun 1, 2021
NvOQK4O.png

tUQEdqC.png

Some dev updates on the 60fps lock / camera issues, etc.

Jun 1, 2021
I will say though, I am actually having quite a bit of fun. They nailed the exploring at least very early on. Just exploring a ruin there's been chests, secret passages, lore, etc.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Our reviewer put a ton of time into early access and did a really in-depth for review for those that are interested:

www.gamerguides.com

Our Review of Enshrouded | Gamer Guides: Your ultimate sour…

See our take on this early access survival game. | Gamer Guides: Your ultimate source for all games! Get expert guides, maps, weapon info, inventory detai…
Just finished reading the review, that was good !

The exploration and progression mechanics are initially quite fun, but the lack of challenge in combat and the lack of novelty between the biomes and their features make you feel like you've hit something of a brick wall by the fourth biome. By this stage in the game, new gameplay elements are sorely needed, more incentives in the form of loot, and a step up in the challenge to make the adventure feel exciting again.
This is the only think that is making me hesitant to buy the game right now

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
I want to play this game soooo badly, but I'm too busy with Palworld. I'll probably pick it up after I take a break.