How long will Linda Yaccarino last as the new CEO of Twitter/đť•Ź?

• She will not make it to her desk

Votes: 176 13.1%
  • She will be out within a month

Votes: 100 7.4%
  • She will be out before 9/11

Votes: 201 14.9%
  • She will not last to "đť•Ź"-mess - you get it right? 🤣

Votes: 344 25.5%
  • She will be there for less than a year

Votes: 312 23.1%
  • She will be there till the end of: The Dark World

Votes: 215 15.9%

• Total voters

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
I remember quite a few Web 1.0 forums run by an egomaniac that would rule with an iron fist and ban users that dared go against the dear leader. Looks like Elon is bringing us back full circle.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
44b is for how much it was sold, Musk still got into a yearly billion interest, also Twitter estimated annual cost before aquisition was 5b iirc, also add all he's paying to fired people for severance or for legal disputes.

It's way more than 44b.
Yeah but did you take into account all those 8 dollar fees? I think not!

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Pot keeps going down hill so fast. Now Musk can look forward to the news stories and tv news stories of the journalist bannings.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
holy shit that was one hell of a ride to wake up to and read through this morning. This feels like it has gotten to a stage where the EU could do something, although it sounds like the relevant laws haven't come into effect yet?

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Assassination corrdinates
phone%2Bbook%2B4.gif

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
holy shit that was one hell of a ride to wake up to and read through this morning. This feels like it has gotten to a stage where the EU could do something, although it sounds like the relevant laws haven't come into effect yet?
German Foreign Office at least doesn't seem to be amused.

View: https://twitter.com/AuswaertigesAmt/status/1603689087969411072
Translation said:
#Freedom of the press must not be switched on and off at will. As of today, the journalists below can no longer follow, comment or criticize us. We have a problem with that @twitter.

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell can a man who has supposedly launched satellites into fucking space only just now discover the concept of public flight radar?

Just how?!

Because this is all a show.

If it hasn't been clear yet Musk is a troll, albeit a really a bad and unfunny one, and he's doing all this for LOL's and generate traffic to twitter. There is no doubt this is all personal for him and his ego is hurt, but lets not act like he's daft or unaware of things.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This all ends with him dying from a stimulant binge, doesn't it?

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, so did I miss over the last day or so? ...Oh.

Freaking wild, and horrifying to see Twitter become such an unfriendly space thanks to the whims of a rich idiot.

I swear, the wealthiest need to be tested for financial responsibility and being in the right headspace to run things. His life would have been far better off if he had sold off all his stocks a year or so ago, and then he could have donated a chunk of it to whatever he wanted and lived a stress free life with his reputation largely intact. But these fuckers just got to have MORE.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Huh, so did I miss over the last day or so? ...Oh.

Freaking wild, and horrifying to see Twitter become such an unfriendly space thanks to the whims of a rich idiot.

I swear, the wealthiest need to be tested for financial responsibility and being in the right headspace to run things. His life would have been far better off if he had sold off all his stocks a year or so ago, and then he could have donated a chunk of it to whatever he wanted and lived a stress free life with his reputation largely intact. But these fuckers just got to have MORE.

I don't think he's motivated by money in this instance. He wants power and adulation. And he wants that adulation from the type of people that absolutely would not respect a billionaire who retires and donates his fortune.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised he hasn't tried to style it already and been all "Liberal media happy to cancel people and restrict their speech on flimsy grounds but don't like it when it happens to them"

The longer there's no coherent strategy in space the more and more twitter will seem like an unviable space.

syphonblue

Apr 29, 2022

Connope

Mar 6, 2022

If it hasn't been clear yet Musk is a troll, albeit a really a bad and unfunny one, and he's doing all this for LOL's and generate traffic to twitter. There is no doubt this is all personal for him and his ego is hurt, but lets not act like he's daft or unaware of things.
He's an idiot, there's a decent chance he genuinely didn't know about this. He didn't know that cryptocurrencies have a negative environmental impact until after making a big song and dance about accepting them for Tesla purchases (https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/4/2...pple-trial-arkham-subnautica-mutant-year-zero). That's like one of the big fundamental things about a topic that he claimed to be interested in, and he didn't know that. It really wouldn't surprise me if he didn't know about public flight trackers at least before getting a jet.

Last edited:

plagiarize

Unfurling New Wings
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

His need to feed his ego is crippling whatever smarts he does or doesn't have.

He isn't doing *this* for LOLs. He's been furious about @elonjet for ages. That wasn't trolling. He lashed out at it because he was in a sour mood after getting booed on stage and because a paparazzi harassed him (although he'll claim he's upset because his family was there, which is only true in so much as he can't stand being humiliated *in front of them*).

I'd recommend reading lots of dril tweets.

EagleClaw

Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Vice-President for Values and Transparency in the EU Commission

View: https://twitter.com/VeraJourova/status/1603689440710369281?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1603689440710369281%7Ctwgr%5Ecb8d34dfcd04f40dd7939c3e3ba05d950a15bc8d%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tagesschau.de%2Fausland%2Feuropa%2Ftwitter-sperre-journalisten-103.html

News about arbitrary suspension of journalists on Twitter is worrying.
EU's Digital Services Act requires respect of media freedom and fundamental rights.
This is reinforced under our #MediaFreedomAct.
elonmusk should be aware of that. There are red lines. And sanctions, soon.

Last edited:

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/VeraJourova/status/1603689440710369281?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1603689440710369281%7Ctwgr%5Ecb8d34dfcd04f40dd7939c3e3ba05d950a15bc8d%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tagesschau.de%2Fausland%2Feuropa%2Ftwitter-sperre-journalisten-103.html

EU's Digital Services Act requires respect of media freedom and fundamental rights.

hehehehehe

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I have no idea where we go from here.
Musk going to "war" with Europe. Embracing American nationalism and America first. Complaining about globalism and the "people" with the real power. Eventually demanding Biden resigns and trying to help Republicans steal the 2024 elections by spreading lies and conspiracies about the Left and silencing Left voices. We have see all this shit before. They are all the same.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I would prefer it if it wasn't "soon" but rather "now".

EagleClaw

Banned
Dec 31, 2018
I would prefer it if it wasn't "soon" but rather "now".

I believe that is just a question of time, like a cinema movie that is advertised as "coming soon"
Talking about red lines and soon implemented sanctions is a pretty clear message.

But, yes, lets see if they deliver, she is also just the Vice-President of a Commission.

Good thing is, Musk got rid of all Brussels lobbyists

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
They're all furiously hammering out articles about how Twitter is a private business so the first amendment protection for free speech doesn't apply here while their keyboards spontaneously burst into flames
Who cares about first amendment? Twitter is a global brand and in Europe we have rules that he has to apply.

EagleClaw

Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Maybe Musk "shuts down" twitter in Europe, and really goes the american "FOX News" route.

That might lead to european media to open Mastodon servers, and officials would also switch on Mastodon servers.
Personally i would see that as a great outcome, i could switch to Mastodon.

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
He said it's down to fix a "Legacy bug" and should be back today--so it seems like he ragequit, then had Twitter take down spaces ASAP so they can fix the whole 'suspended people can join' thing.

To be fair that's a pretty major bug, I didn't catch Elon on the spaces but was on it when it went down, pretty wild to see Dan rather and libs of TikTok listening to the same call lol

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many weird sycophants that are willing to pay the sub Elon has.

He would need millions of people paying the highest tier just to help cover a portion of the interest on the loan. A path to even breaking even will be very difficult for him.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The more he fucks with Twitter, the faster an alternate solution is adopted.

Let him burn Twitter to the ground, and all of his money along with it.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know he's going to rig the poll either way but even the idea you would just ask twitter about something like this is so silly
except it's still incredibly dense and siloed, yeah? I haven't even attempted to sign up because of how weird and segmented I heard it was. Like, I need a new user name for every topic I want to follow? Granted, I hardly understand how Discord works, and neither does the large demographic of Twitter users. For that reason, I do not believe it will become the "proper alternative." Gotta be user-friendly.

edit:

Oh, Lump I didn't notice you called out Mastodon.social specifically. I still don't know the syntax. But so you think that could be the catch-all? Like I could sign up for Mastodon.social and ignore every other fragment of Mastodon and that could potentially be a replacement? Genuine question

At this point, I just made an account on mastodon.social (had to make it on a PC; trying via iOS made me go to a serve select for some reason), then followed a bunch of people I recognized from Twitter by just doing searches for them, and it seemed easy enough. Then I go to their follow lists and follow more people I recognize or look like I want to follow, and I'm already in a pretty decent spot. Things seemed a lot more barren and complex a few weeks ago, but now I'm not noticing any friction in my main timeline there.