Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Really sad to see a previous juggernaut having two bad releases in a row especially when they're straight to Disney+ content was some of their strongest in a while. Still, I wonder if part of their issue is that most Pixar fans are older and they haven't really fit the young fans they need. I don't think it is a coincidence that stuff like Soul resonated more than their more kid focused stuff.

mbpm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Pixar films haven't changed. I'm just at a life point where I no longer follow this old formula and thus they are as a whole mid for me.

OP
OP
KillstealWolf

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Second Rotten Pixar film incoming? Wow.

It's only 8 reviews so far, and initial readings of these reviews makes me guess this will settle around 70~% on RT in the end. I don't want to update report to the mods to update the thread title everytime though, I'll wait until we get more reviews before updating the thread title again.

It's certainly going to be on the lower end of Pixar Reviews though.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Coming from the guy who made The Good Dinosaur, can't say I'm surprised by the reviews and reception.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It's only 8 reviews so far, and initial readings of these reviews makes me guess this will settle around 70~% on RT in the end. I don't want to update report to the mods to update the thread title everytime though, I'll wait until we get more reviews before updating the thread title again.

It's certainly going to be on the lower end of Pixar Reviews though.

The average score only being 6.3/10 from those reviews makes me think it'll struggle to stay fresh, especially as scores tend to go down rather than up once more people review stuff.

But on the other hand some critics do just throw 3 stars at competent animated films so who knows. Either way, not gonna be one of their better-viewing movies as you say.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
That's gotta be the blandest, most boring animation movie I've ever seen, just awful. The only thing it had going for it was pretty visuals for the scenery but that does not make a good movie imo.
I saw it in theaters on release and was pretty surprised at how nothing it was. And the drug trip scene

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking Pixar have lost their flair when they put out the trio of Soul, Luca, and Turning Red just a few years back, which are all bonafide all-timers.

They can't all be bangers, but they still hit way more often than they miss. And a few whiffs are expected when they're probably still sorting things out from Lasseter's shameful escapades.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
My kids explicitly asked to see it and I don't think she has ever asked to see a movie before so that's why I'll be seeing it in theaters.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect it to start off like this!

I mean the trailers weren't that special but I expected better for the full movie.

SkekesisVR

Jan 2, 2018
Huh

Not gonna lie. I legit thought this was the sequel to Inside Out.

The art style (for both movies) I thought looked super cheap and….colorful in a cocomelon esque way….just nothing really intentionally lit, and everything just always FULLY LIT BRIGHT IN YOUR FACE

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow they gave this dude another chance. Welp.
Have to be willing to give creators a few chances. I'd rather see Pixar take whiffs on new ideas when you get highs like Turning Red and Luca when they let their creators create.

As for the movie, I'm still excited to see it. Hoping I like it more than The Good Dinosaur.

Jun 12, 2022
It feels weird that the recent best Pixar films like Turning Red are straight to streaming while their theatricals have been much more meh

Jul 14, 2018
Philadelphia
Soul and Coco and the last third of Monsters U are the only Pixar movies of the 2010s/2020s to really "Wow" me. Even the best of their 2010s/2020s output like TR and Luca, I came out just being generally satisfied. Toy Story 4 was the epitome of cynical and unnecessary to me, Incredibles 2 writing pales so hard compared to the OG, and I could barely stay awake through Lightyear. I still watch every new release they have, but my expectations aren't set nearly as high as they used to be. Of course, all of that may just be me getting older and recognizing their formula more.

Marketing for Elemental has done nothing for me so far, but I also thought Soul's marketing was terrible and didn't do the actual film justice. Hoping there's something here for me.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
This is the one reason I've not entirely written off Illumination's upcoming film Migration yet. Solely because it's lead director is Benjamin Renner, one of the lead directors of Ernest & Celestine and The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales. The Writer is a bit more of a red flag though (It's the same person that wrote the script for The Emoji Movie.) but I'm still somewhat interested just due to the director still ( Though there is still that thought of how the studio operates in mind still, Illumination has been a studio that seems to aim to always make a just passable film on a tight budget, and then aggressively market it to rake in on the profits.

I'm not one wanting to judge a person on one film though as well. The writer for that Migration film? Yes he wrote The Emoji Movie, but he's also wrote School of Rock as well. If I led with "It's written by the same writer as School of Rock" and not mention Emoji Movie at all, that would change your perceptive drastically, wouldn't it? I could have even just mentioned something that was Middle of the Road like how he wrote The One and Only Ivan too. I don't think a person should be judged by one film alone, which is why I wanted to give Sohn some benefit of the doubt. But it does sound like if their second film is also having production issues, then that's maybe when there should be doubts going forward.
Mike White is hit and miss, usually his live action stuff like The White Lotus or School of Rock are substantially better but it's pretty clear that he just did touch up on Emoji Movie for the check

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
If there were ever an Incredibles 3 I want a time jump to Jack Jack going off the rails as a teenager and the family trying to stop him becoming a supervillain

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Illumination must outsource -a lot-. They only have a couple hundred employees at most while Pixar has 1,000+.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
how did this cost 200 million. what crack are they smoking there at disney

I can honestly see it. Saw the official trailer recently and it feels like half the reason this movie exists is to flex how well they can animate element physics and how well they can apply their newer animation style onto it. Some of the squash-n-stretch and flickering with the fire girl in particular is honestly kinda impressive which only makes it more unfortunate that it's in service of such a boilerplate story.

WhatsInDaBox

Banned
Jan 24, 2023
Pretty wild they gave the director of Good Dinosaur another shot, that movie was a massive flop for Pixar (their first bomb) and this seems like itll be too

OP
OP
KillstealWolf

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Small update when we are about a week away, film is now at 67% on Rotten Tomatoes after 21 reviews. I'll post up another round of top critic reviews probably next weekend when the rest of the reviews start coming in.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I think one of the problems the newer Pixar output has is that they have leaned so far into creating a cool premise, THEN writing an interesting story to fit into it; when their better work (imo) comes from having an interesting story first, then adding that Pixar fantastical flair second.

For example, I think Luca and Turning Red are some of the best Pixar movies they have put out in years. In the interviews before release, Luca's director was inspired to make a movie based around his childhood in seaside Italy. Turning Red's director wished to make a movie about her own experiences growing up as a child of immigrants in the early 2000's. The sea monster and red panda aspects came second. As a result, the movies work for what they set out to achieve while also retaining that Pixar magic.

On the flipside, we have films like Onward, The Good Dinosaur, Inside Out, and Soul. Movies where the initial announcement tagline is something only Pixar would do: "What if Fairy Tales lived in the modern world? What if Dinosaurs never died out? What is going on in the mind of child? Where do we come from and go after death?" Films where they come up with some whacky what if scenario and then try to build a story around that. I am convinced this is why The Good Dinosaur was rebooted and had a rocky development, because that premise does not really help create any kind of interesting story.

Elemental seems to be squarely in the latter camp, more interested in a concept than an endearing story to tell, but I won't know for sure until I see it.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
bandicam-2023-06-10-12-04-56-362.jpg

This is a massive increase in percentage but with a 6.40 average rating it'll still fight for fresh.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like one of those straight to VOD movies with washed up actors doing the voice work.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
It looked mid from the trailers and clips. Heck, the premise alone reads like it was spit out by an AI after feeding it Pixar's entire catalog.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, it has Mamoudou Athie. That's cool. Can't say that it will make me want to see it though.

Oct 29, 2017
I'd love to know what a 200 million 2D animated movie could look like...
With today's wages, probably any of the late 90s Disney or DreamWorks films like Atlantis or Prince of Egypt will cost $200 million to produce. Tarzan was $100 million, Prince of Egypt was $70million.

Plus who knows how many years it would actually take them to make such films today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KillstealWolf

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Another update, at 34 reviews film is sitting at 76% now on RT. Could be the Cannes reviewers were especially harsh or might just be a wave of good reviews that's the pushed the number up. Reading the reviews they are still falling in the Bs, B+, 3.5, 3, 4 score range. I epect the film to probably end up scoring in the 70s overall with how the current reviews are going, we shall see.

Should have the big wave of reviewers sometime this week. Which will give more top critic to quote.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Well Spiderverse isn't outsourced either.
It (technically) had outsourcing. Across the Spider-Verse had 1,000 people work on it. Apparently Sony Pictures Animations outsources a bulk of their animation to sister studio Sony Pictures Imageworks in Vancouver, which is a VFX house and animation studio. 1,000 people for a $100 million film with a runtime of 140 minutes, minus credits. No way there wasn't outsourcing to other studios. Though there could be Hollywood accounting going on, especially as Beyond the Spider-Verse has been in production alongside Across the Spider-Verse. We'll have to see what they report the budget of Beyond being but if it's not substantially higher, something is going to smell. The Vancouver tax breaks and what-not can't be that good.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
It (technically) had outsourcing. Across the Spider-Verse had 1,000 people work on it. Apparently Sony Pictures Animations outsources a bulk of their animation to sister studio Sony Pictures Imageworks in Vancouver, which is a VFX house and animation studio. 1,000 people for a $100 million film with a runtime of 140 minutes, minus credits. No way there wasn't outsourcing to other studios. Though there could be Hollywood accounting going on, especially as Beyond the Spider-Verse has been in production alongside Across the Spider-Verse. We'll have to see what they report the budget of Beyond being but if it's not substantially higher, something is going to smell. The Vancouver tax breaks and what-not can't be that good.

I havent seen this level of confidently wrong since chat gpt. You don't know what you're talking about so let me try to explain.

Imageworks does the work for certain sony animation movies. Hotel T, smurfs, spiderverse, etc. ALL animation, modeling,texturing, comp etc is done at imageworks. Story and storyboards are done at SPA. And yes the whole movie production was done at Imageworks.

Source: I worked at imageworks for more than 10 years