• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone wants to jump in, I suggest buying Elder Scrolls Online Collection. It includes 2 Chapters and most of the zone DLC, which is also the most important DLC in terms of content, I regret not buying that one months ago instead of buying DLCs one by one.

Alternatively the subscription gives all DLC except Elsweyr.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I love the systems and it has really great rpg elements I just hate the combat.

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
So as someone with enough time for one mmo alone but the ability to pay for a sub, is it better to give that time to this or ff14 with shadowbringers?

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
It doesn't surprise it's one of the best MMO's on the market aside FFXIV.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I keep hearing good things about it, but it's been years since I played it and the sheer amount of content is intimidating now. Not to mention I kind of want to experience the unvisited southern provinces as fleshed out, single-player games first.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
How?
I legitimately would love to know.

Buy to play. Combat is more fun than traditional MMO's for me. Works with a controller so I can play easily at 4K/60 FPS. Fully voice acted. Better writing than ToR.

There's a lot of good stuff.

I admit, I have never done a dungeon or raid. Is that a thing? I was really into level for awhile and have the Morrowind expansion but haven't returned.

I have no idea how The end game is. Can someone tell me?

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Active players not total players. Which is why it's interchangeable throughout the year.
This is total players for eso too, not active players, btw ffxiv reached 16 mln just a few weeks ago, it doesn't mean that much for either games. You certainly can't state that it's the second most active like that.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
This is total players for eso too, not active players, btw ffxiv reached 16 mln just a few weeks ago, it doesn't mean that much for either games. You certainly can't state that it's the second most active like that.
I can because it's true.

I also said FF takes up that spot as well depending on the time of year. But the whole point was someone was asking how currently healthy the population is. Whether it's at 2 or 3 at any given time is still an indication it's doing well.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the best example I can think of regarding a game that turned itself around by leaning into the DNA of its series despite being an MMO. You can inch in with the base game, jump up into the larger expansions, or subscribe to play smaller segments of DLC.

I'm not a fan as to how they kinda push the subscription stuff pretty hard with how materials don't affect carry capacity only when you're a subscriber, but at that point you probably invested enough time to figure out if the game is for you, I guess.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I will hop in soon too, the premium edition with both chapters and all the DLCs has great value. Thought about getting it for PS4 but I don't want to buy PS+ solely for ESO because I don't have any other use for it.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
I can because it's true.

I also said FF takes up that spot as well depending on the time of year. But the whole point was someone was asking how currently healthy the population is. Whether it's at 2 or 3 at any given time is still an indication it's doing well.
Based on twitter followers and YouTube subs... Seriously?
We don't have official data, we don't know if it's true or not.

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
I jumped in the other day. It's pretty good fun and looks decent on the X. I plan to get the DLC too

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's not a theme park MMO where you are restricted, it's more snadbox-like where you can go into whatever zone you like. Obviously there's a correct order to approach things for faction quest lines and some of the DLC chapters have an overall arc too, but you can access what ever zone you like. As for dungeons, the DLC dungeons are much harder so those should only be done at higher levels.
Thanks for that. I think I'll start with the $10 base game in that case and just see how it goes.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
Great game, I haven't played since the morrowind DLC due to time constraints but I loved it. I'm not sure how active resetera members are but back at the old site there was a pretty healthy online presence and it was a blast to play with people you know, single player was great also. THe amount of content dwarfs the single player elder scrolls games.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
That's damn impressive. Those are "WoW in its hay day" numbers.

Well deserved too. It's a great MMO that has a phenomenal solo experience.

Oct 28, 2017
I personally hated the game at first when it launched but it's become a great game over the years. I always go back to it every so often when a new DLC appears.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
How easy is it to get into? I've been meaning to play this forever but keep putting it off. (I have all the expansions minus Elsweyr).
Easy to get into, even if there are some systems that might be complicated at first. At the same time, it will be a bit difficult to master as you'll need to make use of everything to reach top performance for end game content.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've had it since launch, but it never stuck with me. Then I gave it a legit chance and subbed...one of the best MMO's there is. Quests avoid the kill 10 creatures and bring back their hide garbage, quests feel like actual quests, voiced acting, lots of skills and not "pick a trait from these 3" like WoW. Huge game at the moment with lots of content. No flying mounts, I see people everywhere I go, even older content.

The big plus? Every zone scales so you can go where you want and do what you want. No need to stick to starter zones or a predefined path. The one downside to not subbing to me is the lack of crafting item space. If you don''t sub, all that stuff takes up space in your main bag. Also subbing gives you access to all the DLC content.

Deleted member 33567

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Played it infrequently for a few months when it launched on PS4 and never got past lev 30. Got back into it after sumerset and enjoy it much more now. I don't get much play time midweek, but 20-30 minutes is enough to do a quest or two and it's fine to solo, at the weekend, I join up with friends to do a dungeon or two. I find it to be a relaxing game to play with music or a podcast on.

Oct 26, 2017
They did an amazing job making the game feel like an actual Elder Scrolls game despite being an MMO, I had a lot of fun with it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I really despise most MMOs but I jumped in on PS4 last year and was instantly grabbed, the Elder Scrolls stuff overpowered the MMO stuff for me which kept me hooked. My PS4 has decided to slowly die a miserable death though so yesterday, I just tossed down $64 on the Elsweyr CE that comes with Morrowind and Summerset on Xbox One so I'm going to be starting from scratch again. Looking forward to hopping back in.

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, for a couple of days.

Couple of days it definitely not enough for an MMO.

Did you reach endgame?

Did you do the massive cyrodill pvp?

Did you do any dungeons / trials / arenas?

Did you do battlegrounds?

People like it because theres so much to do , combat becomes good past level 15 when you get two weapons / two skill sets... and when you learn how to animation cancel, etc.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deserved. I've been playing this and FFXIV lately though and don't know which one I want to go all-in on. I definitely don't have time for 2 MMOs. I think ESO feels more like an MMO-ified RPG and FFXIV feels more like a really, really good traditional MMO.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Can anyone link me where to buy the base game? Checked Best Best Buy but it shows a shit ton of versions and I'm confused.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
One of the best solo MMO's out there, which is how I play 95% of the time. But the game is also fun to play with friends - or even make new friends.

And to answer a question that has been posted here several times, this is one of the least-intimidating MMO's available. The main campaign is quite focused. And there are side quests all over each zone that have nothing to do with each other, so an individual story thread can be completed one at a time. And leveling up is like other Elder Scrolls games - learn by doing. In my early game, I just ran around discovering things and did quests for NPC's at places I came across...not too different than other RPG's in that regard.

The February 2019 update made it so that each zone tracks quest completion, wayshrines (fast travel spots) found, lore books found, zone world bosses defeated, etc - so even just staying in one area and completing things there can be its own easy reward if the player wants to first get a handle on the game.

If you have Xbox Game Pass, try the game out. If not, the base game is currently selling on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC for $10 US dollars. There is no subscription fee. Be aware that the download size is very large.

Line

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Those are truly excellent numbers for a B2P MMO, even though it obviously has the franchise as selling point it's not like it's the only big name around; something like FFXIV has both a F2P option and is several years older but isn't that much more popular.

Too bad that the combat is genuinely the worst I've ever played in any MMO. And animation cancelling is the death of any MMO gameplay.
That and the UI is somehow worse than fucking Skyrim, here too, I have never seen such a bad job; to the point where it would be comical if it wasn't so sad. But hey, "use mods because we won't bother fixing our fermented bin juice" is the Bethesda/Zenimax way.

Cool scaling though.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Just got the base game on steam to try it out. Maybe it'll be fun to play every now and again with a friend.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
I bought this game and dropped it after a few days. Then I reinstalled it again, subscride to the ESO Plus thing, bought the Morrowind expansion, and dropped the game again after a few days. I just can't get into it. Combats are boring, the world is uninteresting, I can't remember a single memorable NPC or storyline.
For a "solo MMO" the experience has not been good, FFXIV is so much better in the same genre.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed the base game with morrowind included was $10 on steam. Decided to give it a try.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking at version called "TESO: Elsweyr". Includes everything in the game. Advised I get this? $60, though.

I'm just in the mood for TES, but a new experience for once. Played the last three games dozens of times and I need something new from the universe.