SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
This video made me appreciate the DLC so much more. So many cool details that give context to the world and characters of the Realm of Shadow:

View: https://youtu.be/StWOECzhSik?si=5HG1u0WPYlI9OpL5

Is it just me or are the open areas (especially in the second half) just set dressing?

Gravesite plains and Scade Altus very fairly decent, but all of the others

Ruins of Rauh
Jagged Peak
Cerulean Coast
Hinterlands
Abysmal Abyssal Woods

Are super empty and underwhelming? I guess this was a big problem in the base game too, but they didn't seem to want to address it in the DLC.

Don't want to sound hyperbolic, but I hope they never make an open-world game again, I miss the cool dungeon designs.
Not all areas in the DLC are trying to accomplish the same thing. Of the ones you mentioned:
  1. This one is basically its own legacy dungeon
  2. This one is basically its own scripted little specific type of experience
  3. This one is similar to Limgrave in that it has lots of cool little things to find
  4. This one has enormous lore implications and also has a certain type of area that is central to one of the questlines
  5. Similar to #2, this one is its own scripted little specific type of experience
Yeah, they are different than Gravesite Plains and Scaldu Altus, but I'm cool with areas having different goals and different experiences. I like the variety. There's room for every area to not just be the same type of thing. If anything, the major zones of the base game - Limgrave, Liurnia, Caelid, Altus, Mountaintops, etc. - all being so similar in terms of what they were and how you experienced them, could, by the end of the game, cause the game to get stale for a lot of people.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
This video made me appreciate the DLC so much more. So many cool details that give context to the world and characters of the Realm of Shadow:

View: https://youtu.be/StWOECzhSik?si=5HG1u0WPYlI9OpL5

Not all areas in the DLC are trying to accomplish the same thing. Of the ones you mentioned:
  1. This one is basically its own legacy dungeon
  2. This one is basically its own scripted little specific type of experience
  3. This one is similar to Limgrave in that it has lots of cool little things to find
  4. This one has enormous lore implications and also has a certain type of area that is central to one of the questlines
  5. Similar to #2, this one is its own scripted little specific type of experience
Yeah, they are different than Gravesite Plains and Scaldu Altus, but I'm cool with areas having different goals and different experiences. I like the variety. There's room for every area to not just be the same type of thing. If anything, the major zones of the base game - Limgrave, Liurnia, Caelid, Altus, Mountaintops, etc. - all being so similar in terms of what they were and how you experienced them, could, by the end of the game, cause the game to get stale for a lot of people.

It just hurts to see the huge amounts of (virtually) empty space that they crafted for the DLC. I appreciate the huge vistas sure, but I'd trade it all for a couple of good dungeons in an instant.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Jagged Peak should have been the equivalent of a legacy dungeon where you slowly make your way up with some new small drake enemies to fight or something

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully From do new OW IP after few smaller games. ER has best exploration in their games and they proved with the dlc top tier level design in open world is possible (imo obviously). None of the others have that sense of adventure.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
Hopefully From do new OW IP after few smaller games. ER has best exploration in their games and they proved with the dlc top tier level design in open world is possible (imo obviously). None of the others have that sense of adventure.
I disagree strongly, there's no tension or sense of danger in running around on a horse. It's just boring for the most part.Ruins of Rauh straight up gave me a headache too

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
I loved the Abyssal Woods, probably the one of the best areas in the DLC to me. It's the best horror in a recent From game to me. They redid one of the worst enemies from Bloodborne in a fun stealthy way, the dungeon is great and creepy. Even the sheep in the area are funny in the way they are always looking to you. And the message you get when you try to summon Torrent is so funny. I don't get when people say that these games are self serious and without humour

The Shadow Keep is probably my favourite From dungeon, but I loved the open world. It was my favourite part of the base game and in the DLC a super dense version, with a lot of layers like there are 3 or 4 Limgraves on top of each other to explore and soak in the world and the great art direction

One of the biggest strenghts of Elden Ring to me is how the open world give the setting a sense of place that in Demon's and the Dark Souls games you have to abstract a lot because you are going to like 3 buildings of Anor Londo or a part of the Boletarian Palace. Dark Souls 2 is the closest of feeling like a lot of settings and Bloodborne also works in that way because it's like some parts of one city and it's surroundings

generic_orb

Banned
Jun 27, 2024
There really are a lot of offshoot areas which have absolutely nothing of interest in them, though. I've decided just to stick to the path and look for any obvious 'there's something heres' (usually helped by messages), because there's been so many times both in open world and dungeons when I've gone explore some nook to find yes, there is space here. There is nothing in it. Maybe a smithing stone. The opposite of 'rewarding exploration' most of the time.

laura-palmer

Mar 25, 2021
I'm split on this, I actually think learning its first phase was pretty fun. By the end I got pretty good at it (my successful run actually didn't go that well though lol), but the second phase has so much happening that it feels impossible to even see what is the boss doing or timing it right. It's just a mess.
I definitely liked the first phase too. I struggled at first too lmao but once I got the movesets down, the first phase went by quick. The second phase was like what you said, a mess. It brought down the overall experience of that boss fight for me.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Finally finished the last boss yesterday.

Took me only half an hour, lol. Was kinda expecting more after the discourse online

Oct 25, 2017
Question about NPCs:

So eh, if Thiollier turned hostile down in St. Trina's Garden because she got the silent treatment from Trina while I didn't, does that mess up some other questline? I notice Leda is talking a lot of shit lately, so I'm halfway expecting her to be hostile as well the next time we talk
I believe that's just part of Thiollier's quest line. He should be back in front of St Trina after the fight.

Oct 26, 2017
Finally finished the last boss yesterday.

Took me only half an hour, lol. Was kinda expecting more after the discourse online

This was me the entire DLC, took my time expecting to hit a roadblock at every turn but nothing felt absurdly difficult.

It was like the Godskin Duo discourse all over again with people rushing through the content.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree strongly, there's no tension or sense of danger in running around on a horse. It's just boring for the most part.Ruins of Rauh straight up gave me a headache too

Each with their own. I can take another dlc too.

I think i have hard time going back to more linear Souls now. Lies of P was good, but painfully linear. :(

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Okay that dragon is all over the place, camera goes bonkers. I'll come back here before the end boss, can't be bothered to deal with him now. Got him to about 20% hp on my 2nd try, but need bit more damage to make it easier.

Killed him on my next try, that didn't take long. And with that, South and Southeast maps are clear.
Abyssal Woods next! Last part of the map I've left before doing some end game events.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Finally done with Malenia, basically needed perfect RNG to get through with the Chicken Leg, took more hours than the other bosses combined LMAO

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
*deep breath*
"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYLLEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

Whew. What a fight. Did it first try as a sorcerer but there were a lot of nervy moments and I was nearly fucked at the end but my boy Igon drew aggro in the clutch and I was able to finish him. The entirety of Jagged Peak was awesome.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Poetic. Radahn succumbed to scarlet rot after killing me.

That's no FP/summon/shields run done an dusted. Most DLC bosses were surprisingly easy when maxing scadutree blessing. Radahn and Bayle are by far the toughest, but more in an annoying way than satisfying. Messmer is probably the best one overall.

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, GUYS, I did it! I beat Rennala without using Spirit Ashes!

I'm so hyped right now!

I made a few attempts without getting far. Could get her down to her second phase but died soon after.

Decided I was gonna have one last attempt, and decided to play super aggressively. It paid off and during the transition to her second phase, I was slashing the shit out of her and her poise broke. The following riposte procced bleed at the same time, doing enormous damage!

But I ran out of stamina and couldn't deliver the final blow.

She then readied her Moon attack. I had never seen it or experienced it before, but somehow I was able to time the three jumps perfectly to avoid it! So clutch!

One final slash and she was down.

I'm so pleased right now. I've literally just got back from the pub too and am pretty drunk, making it even more bizarre and amazing.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I fucking did it. Holy shit. I thought the final boss was actually really well done, if a bit overly fast. Felt like he was playing Sekiro while I was stuck in DS3 lol, but I overcame, and learned the fight! (and also went down from a medium to a light roll lmao)

LordFlash

Mar 24, 2023
Oh my god. I cannot overstate how much the Blood Antspur rapier + Fingerprint shield + Mimic just absolutely makes a joke out of the final boss. I did him in on the third try and I would have killed him on the first one but died to the big AoE.

That combo is utterly broken lmao.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Okay Abyssal Woods is absolute garbage of an area. I do not care about the stupid madness mechanic that can be avoided. Having to run like a snail is genuinely annoying. That alone makes this area the worst part of the game.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I beat Rellana on my second try. The moon attack got me on my first try lol. I definitely didn't expect that.

So far, out of the 2 legacy dungeons I've done, the bosses haven't really been so difficult? It's just more Elden Ring at the end of the day.

Kind of excited to get to these bosses people are talking so much about.

Stavo

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 26, 2022
Brazil
Been stuck on the final boss for a good three hours now.
I've even tried going for different weapons but it feels like I'm stuck. 😬

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Yea screw this, I'm just going to look at an explored map of this area to know where to go to pick up items. Nobody has time to waste on this slow movement.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
Nothing like wandering about after killing the last boss trying weapons to respec to and killing a random dude with a jar on his head and getting a scadutree fragment.

I though I got those fragments already, guess not lol,

radiogra

Jun 27, 2020
The spell sucks though... The weapon is pretty nice. You can get both by finding an empty stone coffin in the dlc, I think there are 3 of them for duping boss rememberances?
you can also use the base game mausoleums to dupe DLC rememberances. duped the lion's rememberance that way, before i found those DLC coffins.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
Each with their own. I can take another dlc too.

I think i have hard time going back to more linear Souls now. Lies of P was good, but painfully linear. :(
Minor point, but DeS/DS1/DS2/BB were pretty open in terms of progression. Even Sekiro had a couple of branching paths. I'd love them to return to and expand on that kind of level design (DS1 in particular).

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yea screw this, I'm just going to look at an explored map of this area to know where to go to pick up items. Nobody has time to waste on this slow movement.
yeah its an interesting gimmick at first and eerie seeing torrent afraid to be summoned and the signs telling you there's no escape, etc. I was expecting there to be a giant madness thing patrolling you had to avoid, but ... no. it's a mostly empty giant area with a few extremely basic stealth segments.

Though you CAN parry the watcher things and kill them (and get a talisman, and they don't respawn i think).

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
yeah its an interesting gimmick at first and eerie seeing torrent afraid to be summoned and the signs telling you there's no escape, etc. I was expecting there to be a giant madness thing patrolling you had to avoid, but ... no. it's a mostly empty giant area with a few extremely basic stealth segments.

Though you CAN parry the watcher things and kill them (and get a talisman, and they don't respawn i think).

Yea I just dont wanna waste my time exploring this massive area while on foot. Searched online for how it works and apparently even when you kill all of them, the area does not clear, so I'm just fast forwarding to the items.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
Oh my god. I cannot overstate how much the Blood Antspur rapier + Fingerprint shield + Mimic just absolutely makes a joke out of the final boss. I did him in on the third try and I would have killed him on the first one but died to the big AoE.

That combo is utterly broken lmao.
Everything with a heavy shield is really good for the DLC, you can also combine Fingerprint with the weapon from the Gaius Boss. It's a great recommendation for everyone who is stuck on a boss.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yea I just dont wanna waste my time exploring this massive area while on foot. Searched online for how it works and apparently even when you kill all of them, the area does not clear, so I'm just fast forwarding to the items.
Yeah it would be nice to have some kind of way to bring the mount back.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Guys, GUYS, I did it! I beat Rennala without using Spirit Ashes!

I'm so hyped right now!

I made a few attempts without getting far. Could get her down to her second phase but died soon after.

Decided I was gonna have one last attempt, and decided to play super aggressively. It paid off and during the transition to her second phase, I was slashing the shit out of her and her poise broke. The following riposte procced bleed at the same time, doing enormous damage!

But I ran out of stamina and couldn't deliver the final blow.

She then readied her Moon attack. I had never seen it or experienced it before, but somehow I was able to time the three jumps perfectly to avoid it! So clutch!

One final slash and she was down.

I'm so pleased right now. I've literally just got back from the pub too and am pretty drunk, making it even more bizarre and amazing.

Well done. She's probably one of the best bosses of the DLC imo. My first time seeing that attack I was SO proud of myself for jumping during the moon drop, then doing it again! Then she hit the ground and I didn't expect the shockwave because there was no moon and I died lmao. So well done on dodging all 3!

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Last boss :

image.png

This shit happened to me so many time with so many bosses, if only my last hit was 0.1 second faster, lol

I'm a bit sad that i can't do it with my original build, i had to give myself more strength for a better shield

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I really need a help with a certain move during the last boss' phase 1

When he pulls you in with gravity and does that "X" swing at you, am I supposed to roll a certain way, roll back, run, etc? I'm getting crushed by that each and every time.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Replaying the base game cause my save corrupted way back in 2022 so have go to play the dlc

This game is much easier than I remember. 22 hours in rn, limgrave and the area above it all complete. Gonna backtrack to caelid or whatever it's called now. Level 61.Feel like I've only died like 30ish times. No summons or ashes or magic.. first trying most of the bosses

Might be the bloodhound fang tho. Never used this before and this thing is a beast

empo

Jan 27, 2018
last boss took me ~4-5 hours but I probably wasted 2 hours yesterday using the summon (and being pretty drunk lol)

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

When he pulls you in with gravity and does that "X" swing at you, am I supposed to roll a certain way, roll back, run, etc? I'm getting crushed by that each and every time.
I think if you roll through the gravity attack, he never does a follow up.

If his follow up is the 2 swings, then you just roll through each of the swings but especially the second one.

If, instead, his follow up is bringing both swords downward in the middle and doing the AOE multi-hit gravity attack, then roll backward through the swing to get out of range of the AOE

Oct 26, 2017

If you dodge the gravity and keep your distance he will never do the follow up.

if you get hit, then you should run back and jump at the last minute