Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is untrue.

Driver controlled frame limiting is good. but RTSS has several features that make it way better than driver level ones.

you can limit based on Frametime not just framerate (click the word framelimit in RTSS to switch modes) this can resolve a lot of micro stutter issues in games

as well as changing the format that it limits frames (i.e active vs passive wait, what edge it syncs on etc)

so don't spread misinformation.

Any idea what we want to set up with RTSS for 60 fps ?

Ok, Special K mod with unlocked framerate and Special K HDR looks amazing. I'm hitting around 100 fps, the HDR looks even better with Special K, and the stuttering is much less bothersome because it happens less due to CPU changes with the mod, and the framerate is high enough that gsync smooths it out more when it hits.

Only drawback is I cannot go online...but the messages are, for the first time in a Souls game, killing my immersion anyway, and I want to beast these bosses on my own.

If you are on PC and have a 3070 or higher...I HIGHLY recommend the Special K mod if you are okay with playing offline.

Alright, so now I'm back on PC instead of PS4 code on PS5. Feels good to be home 😀

They HAD to shove easy anti cheat into this garbage, i hate this so much.

I have to play with my GF so I can't go offline. Sigh.

Sep 21, 2019
any idea why it's forcing single core?

Because the game apparently runs better with it and was not made with multi core in mind.

I have an i9-9900k and a 3090 and can confirm disabling hyperthreading makes the game run better.

The Special K mod takes care of the CPU changes so you don't have to.

And it works a charm.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019

Yea, if we could use the mod online that would so be ideal. I do like the coop a lot.

Oh well.

My vibration is back as well because PS5 doesn't even vibrate, but the Xbox controller does on PC.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
got teleported to some cave where I can't teleport out of and my PC keeps crashing..
That also happened to me. Set the game to borderless window, and play offline. That solved it for me, although my PC still crashes from time to time while playing the game.

Edit: Also, move the start_protected_game.exe to another location and replace it with a renamed copy of eldenring.exe.

Last edited:

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone having trouble gettting a dualshock 4 to work? Mine isn't recognized at all even if I use DS4Windows

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan

so for myself. I have a strix 3080 with a decent OC, and a 5800x at 5ghz. I disabled steam overlay and added it to high performance in windows settings as per OP. Then these are my settings for NVCP and RTSS for it and it is a pretty smooth 4k60 max settings, I still get stutters occasionally but overall its way better than it was before, I hope From actually fixes the engine.

ohRheQO.png

Edit: Screenshot showing frametime graph as it spends about 85% of the time a flat line with these settings (HDR so tonemapping is messed in the screenshot but just ignore that)

Last edited:

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
My game immediately crashes when I launch with Special K. Anyone know why? I've honestly never used it before. Maybe a conflict with other progams I have running?
The flawless widescreen mod was working nicely for me but the stutters and framedrops were still happening often so wanted to try this to see if it performed better.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is anyone having trouble gettting a dualshock 4 to work? Mine isn't recognized at all even if I use DS4Windows

No problems here, neither with DS4Windows nor Steam input.
Maybe it's not recognized as the first controller or something..? Do you have different accessories connected to your PC? Do the Windows gamecontroller settings list anything else?

Sep 21, 2019
After playing the game using the Special K mod I saw no improvements, hell somehow it was worse. Now, I don't know if unrelated to the mod itself, but this time when my PC crashed it wasn't the graphics card driver for once, so I could read the BSOD and it says that the crash was related to memory management.

Here are my System specs by the way: Ryzen 7 2700X, Vega 56 8 GB, and 32 GB of ram and WD_BLACK SN750 NVMe SSD as the main drive. Running a fresh install of Windows 10.

Did you use the latest Special K installer version from Discord, version 22.2.26.5 or 22.2.27? The performance increase with the unlocked framerate is huge.

Last edited:

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
so for myself. I have a strix 3080 with a decent OC, and a 5800x at 5ghz. I disabled steam overlay and added it to high performance in windows settings as per OP. Then these are my settings for NVCP and RTSS for it and it is a pretty smooth 4k60 max settings, I still get stutters occasionally but overall its way better than it was before, I hope From actually fixes the engine.

ohRheQO.png
Honestly I almost always get occasional stutters (in general, not for ER alone) when trying to limit the framerate/frametime with async alone (they act in the say way, just a different representation), try to limit using front edge sync instead, you will get a smoother experience due to having a bit more room on the frametime.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
This is untrue.

Driver controlled frame limiting is good. but RTSS has several features that make it way better than driver level ones.

you can limit based on Frametime not just framerate (click the word framelimit in RTSS to switch modes) this can resolve a lot of micro stutter issues in games

as well as changing the format that it limits frames (i.e active vs passive wait, what edge it syncs on etc)

so don't spread misinformation.
I'm not "spreading misinformation". This community would do well to add/correct information, a little more politely. Its not just you. Almost that exact line is used a lot around here. Its pretty abrasive.

Soon after Nvidia first implemented their framerate limiter a couple of years ago---some articles were produced, comparing it to RTSS. And it was determined that RTSS isn't worse or better. At that time, RTSS didn't have the extra features which you just described (except maybe what edge it syncs on. That's been "a thing" for a few years). and I had not seen any fairly accessible article later comparing those features.

I would be curious to see an article comparing those features to at least Nvidia's framelimiter. Because Nvidia's is supposed to be somewhat intelligent. in other words, attempting to smooth out framespikes by making frametimes more consistent*. Not simply a blunt framerate limiter. (forcing Nvidia's Vsync is also supposed to do this).

*Nvidia's Reflex takes this further, by working with a developer to allow the Nvidia driver more access to the engine/more control over frame delivery.

Sep 21, 2019
My game immediately crashes when I launch with Special K. Anyone know why? I've honestly never used it before. Maybe a conflict with other progams I have running?
The flawless widescreen mod was working nicely for me but the stutters and framedrops were still happening often so wanted to try this to see if it performed better.

Does the game open at all or is it not launching? If it isn't launching, you have to make sure not to launch to game as an administrator, so if you have that in your exe properties, change it (took me 2 hours to figure this out!)

Also, make sure you have the latest version of Special K from Discord installed. This version will bypass EAC. Otherwise the game will not launch because of EAC not being bypassed. You can get the latest installer of Special K here: https://discord.com/invite/ER4EDBJPTa

Go to the Installers option to the left under information and download version 22.2.27. The previous version 22.2.26.5 added a thread priority inversion fix for Elden Ring, and that has helped my frames. You need either version to be up to date.

You'll probably have to initially disable antivirus to get everything installed (don't worry, Special K has been around forever and is SUPER legit).

It's A LOT! But SOOOOO worth it when you can uncap the framerate, implement Special K's HDR which is MUCH better than the game's HDR, have the thread fix, etc.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
I feel pretty lucky so far... running an RTX 2060 and a 3700x. I do get some stuttering occasionally that resembles frame drops, and once in a while get a ~2 second long freeze. But 80% of the time it seems to run well at 1080p. By no means perfect, but nothing's broken my game so far or made it unplayable.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
How come this week? Have they said something?
It's just a guess.

Btw, they quickly made a statement that they are aware of the problems in the game, they even released the first hotfix even though it was the weekend. So, I don't think they will keep people waiting long.

en.bandainamcoent.eu

A message about some performance issues in ELDEN RING

Thank you very much for playing ELDEN RING and for your feedback. We are currently experiencing some issues that are preventing the game from playing properly under some conditions.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Honestly I almost always get occasional stutters (in general, not for ER alone) when trying to limit the framerate/frametime with async alone (they act in the say way, just a different representation), try to limit using front edge sync instead, you will get a smoother experience due to having a bit more room on the frametime.
Yeah front edge sync, will def give you the smoothest presentation, but I am not super sensitive to stutters if there are not huge swings in the frametimes, but in certain games where it matters I do notice more latency syncing on the front edge.

edit: just tested in Elden ring and my frametimes are actually much smoother in it using async

Last edited:

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm not "spreading misinformation". This community would do well to add/correct information, a little more politely. Its not just you. Almost that exact line is used a lot around here. Its pretty abrasive.

Soon after Nvidia first implemented their framerate limiter a couple of years ago---some articles were produced, comparing it to RTSS. And it was determined that RTSS isn't worse or better. At that time, RTSS didn't have the extra features which you just described (except maybe what edge it syncs on. That's been "a thing" for a few years). and I had not seen any fairly accessible article later comparing those features.

I would be curious to see an article comparing those features to at least Nvidia's framelimiter. Because Nvidia's is supposed to be somewhat intelligent. in other words, attempting to smooth out framespikes by making frametimes more consistent*. Not simply a blunt framerate limiter. (forcing Nvidia's Vsync is also supposed to do this).

*Nvidia's Reflex takes this further, by working with a developer to allow the Nvidia driver more access to the engine/more control over frame delivery.
Yeah I am sorry I realize how shitty my comment came off, I wasn't trying to say NVCP framelimitting is bad, or that RTSS is clearly better just a lot more power user features in RTSS with more options to work around situations, I have found a few games where tweaking the settings has achieved a better result than just enabling it through the driver control panel. Apologies for coming off so antagonistic.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I am sorry I realize how shitty my comment came off, I wasn't trying to say NVCP framelimitting is bad, or that RTSS is clearly better just a lot more power user features in RTSS with more options to work around situations, I have found a few games where tweaking the settings has achieved a better result than just enabling it through the driver control panel. Apologies for coming off so antagonistic.

For the sake of simplicity it's probably better to suggest trying out the frame limiter in the nvidia control panel before RTSS which as you point out is more aimed at power users. Anyone that was interested in the other RTSS features probably already has it installed.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Did you use the latest Special K installer version from Discord, version 22.2.26.5 or 22.2.27? The performance increase with the unlocked framerate is huge.
No, I checked, and is not any of those. Anyway, I think the culprit of my crash and worse performance was the EAC, not the mod, but the mod wasn't launching with the swapped .exe trick used to run the FPS unlocker. I will test it later with the most recent version.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Does the game open at all or is it not launching? If it isn't launching, you have to make sure not to launch to game as an administrator, so if you have that in your exe properties, change it (took me 2 hours to figure this out!)

Also, make sure you have the latest version of Special K from Discord installed. This version will bypass EAC. Otherwise the game will not launch because of EAC not being bypassed. You can get the latest installer of Special K here: https://discord.com/invite/ER4EDBJPTa

Go to the Installers option to the left under information and download version 22.2.27. The previous version 22.2.26.5 added a thread priority inversion fix for Elden Ring, and that has helped my frames. You need either version to be up to date.

You'll probably have to initially disable antivirus to get everything installed (don't worry, Special K has been around forever and is SUPER legit).

It's A LOT! But SOOOOO worth it when you can uncap the framerate, implement Special K's HDR which is MUCH better than the game's HDR, have the thread fix, etc.
Thank you! I actually didn't use the latest version so that must've been it. But is it supposed to say waiting for game in the special K while its running or something else, can't tell if it's actually working. The game did seem more stable though when I ran around the same area I was before.

Edit: Seems to actually be working now as I can access the overlay. Cool stuff and it does seem to be much better still get some frame drops but not as often and not nearly as bad. Looking forward to actually digging into the game.

Last edited:

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

Thanks

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
Can we get our hopes up?
www.techpowerup.com

Elden Ring Benchmark Test & Performance Analysis

Elden Ring was released today. It's a long-awaited new entry in the Souls-like genre. The game's graphics have been upgraded, and the engine runs DirectX 12 exclusively. In our performance review, we're taking a closer look at image quality, differences between the setting presets, VRAM usage...

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Special K made my game smoother overall, instead of the jitters I used to get with the camera movements, and with their last update, HDR finally works fine, so already a better experience (3090/X5900).

Didn't try other stuff yet, only messed around for a bit, gonna catch up on this thread and test more later.

Oct 4, 2020
Scotland
4th crash of the day in 3 seperate areas, my last two have been within the space of 20 mins and the last one was just during a loading screen. How has this got even worse since the last patch?

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
You gotta love this. A developer finishes with their part of a game and releases it to the public who will then work together to fix that game. And all the public has to do is buy the game and spend a bunch of time tinkering with it! And possibly spend extra money.

It's fun to collaborate with developers. And just think of the extra hours of "gameplay" you're receiving!

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Played a few hours, while I dont get any "stuttering" per say I do get random FPS tanks for a few seconds. Steady 60 and then boom 20, but it has been playable. 3080/5600X default settings, havent changed any GPU settings or anything.

Cruella

May 5, 2021
I have weird problem - menu suddenly becomes unresponsive, I can't do anything in it, have to close the game manually, start the game again, it works again. Happens often.
I can continue to play and everything, but can't browse menu, can't open equipment, can't close game properly etc.

Last edited:

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Try it on Steam and find out if you can tolerate it and return it within 2 hours if needed. I can't stand uneven performance but I can tolerate this since the game is so good. Also for me the first area seems to be the worst performing.

Though honestly I can't see from fixing performance issues ever.

Thanks I bought this last year on GMG and forgot about it, I tried to return it but they denied my request even if the code is unused so I am stuck with it. Was really trying to decide if it was worth my time right now as I would hate to use it and be disappointed with my experience when I could have sold it or gave it away.

I think you should and do two things. Set the Nvidia shader cache to unlimited and play offline. If it doesn't work, restart and set the shader cache again. My experience has been pretty good and I'm nowhere near refunding the game. I have minimal stutter, but it's there. Over 12hrs in.

Thank you I will look into this if I decide to play it. I am usually not to sensitive with performance issues like frame drops but the stuttering issue I keep reading about is a turn off for me right now.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Played a few hours, while I dont get any "stuttering" per say I do get random FPS tanks for a few seconds. Steady 60 and then boom 20, but it has been playable. 3080/5600X default settings, havent changed any GPU settings or anything.

Highly suggest special K, it fixed that issue for me on a 10850k/3080

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Don't know if anyone has mentioned which NVIDIA Driver to run with, but I am running the following:
NVIDIA DRIVER: 511.65
RUNNING ON: INTEL i9 10900K - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW - 16GB RAM

I am rocking out with 60FPS pretty much all the time, obviously there may be a dip here or there you may see going down to 56fps or so, but it's infrequent.

Yesterday I tested the newest NVIDIA DRIVER 511.79 and holy shit the performance was wack. I rolled back to 511.65 and all the 20-30FPS dips I had just experienced went away. The newest drivers are problematic for me for sure.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
At this point, I just stop playing every time that the framerate drops to zero per many seconds, as I noticed that if I keep playing minutes later I will have a complete system crash.

Last edited:

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Okay specialK has made a big difference for me with unlocked framerate. Game feels smooth with only some frame drops that feel more like normal drops in other games instead of what was going on before.

I get like 70fps avg in the open world @2804x1577 res with a 3070 and 3700x system.
Anything inside has ran at 80-100+fps. Feels so much better and I can actually understand why people like this game now.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
Anyone on a 1080ti got a settings config that gets you a solid 60 in the open world? I'm on a 1440p monitor and reluctant to drop below that (did try dropping to 1080p but it looked like shit and still wasn't hitting 60) but it doesn't seem to matter which settings preset I choose, the framerate swings around from 45-60. The game is so good that I've put up with it for 14 hours, but I've yet to encounter a game I couldn't finesse 1440/60 from on this card.

Note that I understand that the frame caching stutters can't be eliminated until From patches it, but I'd like a consistent framerate the rest of the time.

Techno